• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Horizontal Aerial Movement Speed List

Status
Not open for further replies.

3GOD

Smash Ace
That's not true. What affect's aerial approach is not horizontal movement but the speed at which aerials come out. It's not difficult to dash -> SH -> aerial when you're right in front of them. That requires almost no horizontal movement. Notice how MK, who has arguable the best aerial game of all characters, is in F Class.
It is true. I think the difference is that I am talking about aerial approach as opposed to simply the aerial game in general.

I also was generalizing somewhat since I said "many characters" and not "all characters."

Meta Knight has a good aerial game, but his aerial approach is sub-par compared to most of the characters in S and A class. It's for this reason that Donkey Kong is one of the harder matches for Meta Knight. Meta Knight relies heavily on grounded approaches, and DK really stuffs grounded approaches. MK certainly has a good aerial game once he gets the ball rolling, but he gets the ball rolling best by approaching from the ground.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I feel like Sonic's aerial DI is a lot worse than this list is making it out to be.

I guess my question would be: does maximum horizontal air speed (MHAS) correlate with aerial control? I feel that certain characters ranked lower in MHAS are able to weave back and forth in the air much easier than Sonic can (Squirtle for instance). I think if there is a difference that'd be interesting to know. And maybe you could post some of those statistics up as well :p

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
from the Dojo

I would say that "in a class by themselves" would mean fastest... apparently not
I think jiggs actually does have the fastest mid-air acceleration.
.___.

But I mean, I think everyone needs to acknowledge that Wario is right up there with her. And Squirtle to a lesser extent.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Neither of his tests involved jumping.
And his second test removed fall-speed from the equation.

Of course, there are a number of other problems with this test that I've been thinking about. The glaring one is acceleration. Some characters can reach their maximum speed faster than others which would skew the numbers. If you were to assume that the acceleration to maximum speed was instantaneous, you still do not account for midair acceleration. That is, how easily the character can change momentum in mid-air. There are even more problems that I'm not going to bother going over.

I was questioning this from the beginning since Sonic is so high up there. Now I realize that while Sonic might be able to move forward through the air fast he is not "mobile" in the air at all in the sense that he can barely change directions.

I think ultimately this is one of those times when you need to get a real feel for things by playing the game instead of relying on the numbers.

c3gill

Smash Ace
I would like to see how Lucas' Magnet Pull compares to his normal horizontal speed..... but very nice post!

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^^^

Yea, but thats because D3's jumps are slow, and give him slow momentum in the air. Same story for Meta Knight.

But thats the price D3 pays for being a heavy weight. A good D3 mainer will be able to work with his amazing fast fall speed, and his mulitple jumps. Thats where spacing comes into play.

from the Dojo

I would say that "in a class by themselves" would mean fastest... apparently not
I love Jiggs for her horizontal movement. If you ever get on her and just chain her bairs in the air? Its so beautiful to watch. Its like a poet writing a poem. It looks so lovely.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Hellz Yea!
No wonder I enjoy playing Jiggz so much, I'm so used to Yoshi's blistering air speed, anyone else just feels wrong, how are you supposed to work with such little manouverability.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Here i was reading through the OP, then i realize this is from may. So i guess my first question is if this info is still current? or has anymore work been done on it since?

If so, after reading the discussion about aerial horizontal speed and aerial acceleration.Am i wrong in thinking the test outlined by the OP doesn't truly measure aerial horizontal speed since it includes the acceleration. Sure it is no doubt close, and indeed a consistent test method. But wouldn't the true aerial horizontal speed test be a measure of how fast a character travels X number of blocks once at their max speed. Not that I am trying to pick the work apart and I wish my knowledge of kinematics wasn't so rusty but i'm sure that once a true max speed is found that acceleration would be much easier.

just thought i'd add my 2 cents, but no doubt the smash researchers are already all over this.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Either way if acceleration is something trying to be learned, than shouldn't top speed. All of these theories of how to find acceleration when the only way to do so it to determine the top speed of the character and time how long it takes them to reach it. This serves many problems, 1) How to determine a characters max speed, and 2) How to test how long it takes them to reach this speed. This here just shows the estimated fastest adverage speed.

I think the only way to get 100% unflawed answers is with the comparsion of Top speeds and acceleration rates. Picking a different times , example: 1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec, 4 sec, 5 sec, 6 sec, 7 sec. The max time should be based on what character has the shortest time in the air. So the time you would stop testing on would be based on Falling speed but it would have no effect of on the results as the falling speed just helps to determine a limit. After it is done for each measurement of time the adverages should be taking to come up with a diffenate list. Maybe even go by 1/2 of seconds to make the listings more accurate.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
*sigh* Why must Meta Knight be so slow in the air? He would be even more god tier if he had an at least average air movement speed.
That's the last thing we need. Do you want him to be banned? i sure as hell don't. Its good that he actually has a glaring weakness compared to everyone else.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
If Wolf's up and side b would make him fall almost strait down, his recovery would maybe the best of the Space Animals.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So fun to see MK F tier in something.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i feel like ness should be so much slower than he is, although i do agree with Cfalc; he's so fast in terms of movement, not moves.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I knew CF was going to be up there
Didn't expect MK to F-Teir something, though.
Whats that now, 2 things MK F-Classes in? Weight and Airspeed?

Jski

Smash Apprentice
You would think zelda / sheik would have the same air speed or at lest sheik would have high air speed then zelda.

B!squick

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Shiek falls faster. Being a ninja it's hard to keep that much awesome in the air for any length of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom