• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hope Will Never Die! - Lucina Thread

Folt

Smash Ace
Well, "Beginner's Marth" is practically her whole concept in Smash Bros. They were never going to deviate much from that concept.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'm just glad she's back.

Being introduced with Robin is a nice touch. My ship lives!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I actually liked how they kept her as an "Echo Fighter." That was exactly what I wanted. Thank you, Sakurai.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, I saw in one of IGN's E3 videos a Nintendo representative using "Lucina's sword" as an example of slight modifications Echo Characters will receive to separate themselves from the original characters.

So it sounds like Lucina didn't really get any changes at all. I'm assuming he meant no tipper.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, I saw in one of IGN's E3 videos a Nintendo representative using "Lucina's sword" as an example of slight modifications Echo Characters will receive to separate themselves from the original characters.

So it sounds like Lucina didn't really get any changes at all. I'm assuming he meant no tipper.
Not even her idle stance.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Sad, isn't it? Daisy has a completely different idle/running animation and she just got here. :rolleyes:
Don't remind me. Especially when Lucina has such a different one.
Lucina's idle pose is the same, but judging from gameplay clips, it looks like Marth's idle pose is different. So that means they have separate idle poses..... I guess. I mean, I guess it's something...
Lucina has a particular signature stance. At the very least they could have given her that.

Hopefully since they will probably redo her voice lines anyway, she'll be less aggressive and sassy. Tipton may be a softer Lucina anyway.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Aw, Bailey isn't back as Lucina? That's a damn shame
Unless I'm mistaken, she hasn't been Lucina for awhile. It didn't sound like her in Warriors or Heroes.

I also realized recently that she no longer plays kid Trunks in Dragonball Super and it blew my mind.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Unless I'm mistaken, she hasn't been Lucina for awhile. It didn't sound like her in Warriors or Heroes.

I also realized recently that she no longer plays kid Trunks in Dragonball Super and it blew my mind.
She voiced default Lucina in Heroes, but the other three are Tipton.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
She voiced default Lucina in Heroes, but the other three are Tipton.
I thought that was still her, but she wasn't credited in the bottom left corner like most characters. So I just assumed.

I certainly prefer Bailey, but she's now in so many things using essentially the exact same voice that I think I'm coming around to Tipton. I still don't understand Capcom's decision to use Default Laura Bailey Voice for Black Widow.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I thought that was still her, but she wasn't credited in the bottom left corner like most characters. So I just assumed.

I certainly prefer Bailey, but she's now in so many things using essentially the exact same voice that I think I'm coming around to Tipton. I still don't understand Capcom's decision to use Default Laura Bailey Voice for Black Widow.
I actually prefer Tipton.

That may have not been Capcom's decision. It's probably the same voice she had in the Marvel cartoon(s).

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I actually prefer Tipton.

That may have not been Capcom's decision. It's probably the same voice she had in the Marvel cartoon(s).
Huh. Yep. You're right. I've never been a Marvel guy when it comes to anything but their feature length movies, but Laura's been playing Widow since the Marvel Lego games.

That seems like a lazy casting to me. I do love her work, but Natasha's supposed to be Russian. Laura Bailey's Black Widow just sounds like Laura Bailey. Supergirl and Kait Diaz were better fits for her recent work, IMO.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Huh. Yep. You're right. I've never been a Marvel guy when it comes to anything but their feature length movies, but Laura's been playing Widow since the Marvel Lego games.

That seems like a lazy casting to me. I do love her work, but Natasha's supposed to be Russian. Laura Bailey's Black Widow just sounds like Laura Bailey. Supergirl and Kait Diaz were better fits for her recent work, IMO.
To be fair, when was the last time she actually sounded Russian? As far as I can remember, it was the Earth's Mightiest Heroes Avengers and even then she could switch. Part of being a master spy probably.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be fair, when was the last time she actually sounded Russian? As far as I can remember, it was the Earth's Mightiest Heroes Avengers and even then she could switch. Part of being a master spy probably.
You're not wrong at all. I just prefer when companies cast voices according to a character's nationality. It's partially how Overwatch initially won me over.

But to be fair, I don't really watch Marvel animated stuff, so I can't really have an opinion on her work. From what little I've seen, Marvel's stuff has always seemed more "cartoony" and less geared toward potential adult viewers than DC's stuff. Justice League, Young Justice, Batman B&B, etc. are infinitely rewatchable for me.

Arthur97

Smash Master
You're not wrong at all. I just prefer when companies cast voices according to a character's nationality. It's partially how Overwatch initially won me over.

But to be fair, I don't really watch Marvel animated stuff, so I can't really have an opinion on her work. From what little I've seen, Marvel's stuff has always seemed more "cartoony" and less geared toward potential adult viewers than DC's stuff. Justice League, Young Justice, Batman B&B, etc. are infinitely rewatchable for me.
Well, the movies haven't really had her Russian either.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, the movies haven't really had her Russian either.
And don't even get me started on Hollywood whitewashing. Haha.

In voice acting you have much more freedom to cast accordingly, because you don't need a ticket-seller for the starring role. Anybody can be on the other side of that mic. Outside of nerd culture, very few people can even name prominent voice actors, let alone tell you what they look like. With Scarlett Johanson, I just chalk it up to Hollywood being Hollywood. She does alright, I guess, but it's not like they write the character particularly well anyway. (What the hell was up with Widow in Avengers 2? How the hell did they manage to shoehorn that romance in?)

But I digress. We're getting way off track here. :smash:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
It's not my ideal wish for her (that obviously being decloned), but I'll gladly take it after all the people saying she should be removed from the game or a Marth alt.

Better luck next time?

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing Alexis Tipton's delivery for her. I do miss Laura Bailey as her VA, but she does the role fine as well.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990

Laura Bailey quit voicing japanese anime and japanese video games because the payout to doing those roles were unsually lower in hindsight compared to the payout she got doing voicework for American cartoons and American videogames so sad to see her go when it comes to japanes e roles.she's basically a voice goddess there. Lol and now a even bigger one at American roles

And you can tell Alexis Tipton took alot of notes from Laura Bailey.They sound similar at times,especially that kid trunks voice in dragonball Kai and super. As for Lucina.not as much .

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's not my ideal wish for her (that obviously being decloned), but I'll gladly take it after all the people saying she should be removed from the game or a Marth alt.

Better luck next time?

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing Alexis Tipton's delivery for her. I do miss Laura Bailey as her VA, but she does the role fine as well.
I don't like the rather permanent feel her lack of a number gives. Plus, the continued lack of detail unless something changes in the final build.

Laura Bailey quit voicing japanese anime and japanese video games because the payout to doing those roles were unsually lower in hindsight compared to the payout she got doing voicework for American cartoons and American videogames so sad to see her go when it comes to japanes e roles.she's basically a voice goddess there. Lol and now a even bigger one at American roles

And you can tell Alexis Tipton took alot of notes from Laura Bailey.They sound similar at times,especially that kid trunks voice in dragonball Kai and super. As for Lucina.not as much .
At first, I wasn't sold on Tipton. Thought she may have sounded too happy or something, but I've really come to prefer her softer Lucina. Maybe it has to do with her voicing Warriors too with so many voiced lines.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I don't like the rather permanent feel her lack of a number gives. Plus, the continued lack of detail unless something changes in the final build.

At first, I wasn't sold on Tipton. Thought she may have sounded too happy or something, but I've really come to prefer her softer Lucina. Maybe it has to do with her voicing Warriors too with so many voiced lines.
Maybe that's because tipton hasn't had much time to work on Lucina 's softer side besides fire emblem heroes which doesn't consist ofmuch voicework to be performed there compared to the scope of lines in fire emblem warriors. At the beginning ,Tipton probably felt shakened.mid way through she felt more comfortable wi th the role down the line and could deliver a better performance. Though anyproblem you find with any of the voices in production in well anything.The blame always falls on the voice director 's shoulders first

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
A bit disappointed they didn't at least try to make Luci more accurate to herself (whilst also repping FE even better, RIP that dream too because Lyn's an AT) but I'm glad that she's even back.
Laura Bailey's performance as her is part of what drew me in but Alexis Tipton has taken up the mantle with excellence.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
You say "Lucina is likely to return due to her immense popularity."

...I fully disagree. Now that Fire Emblem matches Pokemon in numbers, I think its safe to say, expect cuts. And she is the easiest to cut.

There is really no better comparison. Both Pokemon and FE have many new games, and a long legacy, with each iteration creating a fully new cast (worse so in FE, actually).

In other words... Squirtle is easily more popular to an overall fanbase of gamers and pop culture, than is Lucina.
So... I think Lucina is easily the most likely cut of the game.
HAHAHAHAHA

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sakurai made the ultimate sacrifice so we could have a hugeeeeee chance of WORLDLY PEACE by bringing back everyone ever.
Now's not the time to remain petty about anything relating to that IMO, lol.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
not a fan at how choppy Lucina's hair still looks. Actually it bugs me how more polished Daisy looks over the other echoes. I just hope it is a sign that Sakurai's team plans on going back to Lucina and cleaning her up a bit. A new Idle animation would be awesome as others have mentioned but just having her hair cleaned up so it looks less like an after thought would be nice.

I'll be honest in that I'm not a huge fan of the echo concept. I love that Lucina is even in the game, but I'd be willing to trade any new echoes for the two already in the game to be luigified. I don't know, there is still plenty of time before the game releases, there's always a chance that the aesthetics of the established echoes to be given a bit more personality.

I do have to ask though, do ya'll think giving Lucina's established Idle or run animations could possibly detract from the flow to her other animations?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Sakurai made the ultimate sacrifice so we could have a hugeeeeee chance of WORLDLY PEACE by bringing back everyone ever.
Now's not the time to remain petty about anything relating to that IMO, lol.
You went into a Lucina thread to complain about Lucina being in the game and talk about her being cut from the game.

"she is easiest to cut"

...I fully disagree.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Anyone else a bit bugged that Lucina is lumped with Marth's character segment for Ultimate when she got her own for 4 (I'm talking Smashboards here)?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Yeah, why are the three Echoes lumped with the originals here?
Because of the shared moveset, we can share resources like frame data, matchup spreads, and general theory crafting. Not to mention that you can use both characters with the easy knowledge of the other at your disposal giving you a slightly better edge in terms of matchup spreads overall.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Because of the shared moveset, we can share resources like frame data, matchup spreads, and general theory crafting. Not to mention that you can use both characters with the easy knowledge of the other at your disposal giving you a slightly better edge in terms of matchup spreads overall.
Yet this was not the case for Lucina and Doc in 4. It's bad enough that echo seems to be code for characters they don't have to try with.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Yet this was not the case for Lucina and Doc in 4. It's bad enough that echo seems to be code for characters they don't have to try with.
Wait, I've been a Marth/Zelda main forever, I remember being in lots of Marcina stuff. At least we are all together on discord.

Top Bottom