• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hope Will Never Die! - Lucina Thread

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
LUCINA
LUCINA_ULTIMATE_SMASH.png

The time travelling heroine of Fire Emblem Awakening, Lucina is extremely popular within her series. Being the 2nd most popular female in the series, according to Fire Emblem Heroes CYL poll. Making her also the most popular character in the 3DS era of the Fire Emblem franchise.
Lucina is no stranger in the smash bros series either. Appearing in Smash for Wii U/3DS as a clone of Marth. A nod to not only being a descendant of him, but also using his name as a disguise when going to the past.
Do you think Laura Bailey will remain her voice, or will Alexis Tipton of Heroes and Warriors to return?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Assuming Lucina returns, she would probably be decloned somewhat.
In that event, there is one thing that must be done.

Please deliver, Sakurai.
(And yes, she'll probably get Alexis Tipton to voice her.)

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Please deliver, Sakurai.
Lancina would be the best case scenario, so I sure hope so!
I feel like Lucina's VA could go either way due to Smash 4 reusing many of Brawl's voices that they could reuse Laura's lines for Smash 5. There is cases like Pit and Sonic though.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I really hope she returns in her own slot. I agree they should declone her and make her quite different from Marth this time. Giving her a lance would be great, but I'm not sure if they would change her that much

Out of the 3 clones I think she has the best chance to come back, and if we are lucky, with many changes

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I really, really want her back with a unique moveset.

Her appearances in games since Smash 4 (Project X Zone 2, Codename S.T.E.A.M., Fire Emblem Heroes, Fire Emblem Warriors) have shown her use a lance or a bow in addition to a sword.

Fire Emblem Warriors knows she should at least be a clone of Chrom and not Marth since she shares Chrom's moveset.

And I think it needs to be said if you look at a certain Choose Your Legends Poll, she's more popular than Robin, Roy, the person she is a clone of, and only beaten by Ike and Lyn.

I don't believe Lucina will be cut as much as everyone else does. Lucina became a pretty big star of her series.

Hoping for buffs or new moves. As much as I love Lucina and the Marcina moveset, Marth was basically a straight upgrade.

Brave Lucina would be a pretty great alt, but her design is already fantastic anyway.
:061:

Morbi

Scavenger

Please deliver, Sakurai.
I definitely want her to have an original move-set this time around. It is one of the only things I even want for this game, but I am not sure about giving her a lance just to pander to the people who want axes or lances. I guess it depends on whether or not the Switch Fire Emblem protagonist wields them or not.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't want a lance for the sake of it. I want it because it's sick as hell and makes Lucina stand out from Marth. Plus, that Great Lord design has always been my fav

You really don't have to change many animations to make the lance work. I've seen mods where Marth is holding a scythe and looks decent, and that's without changing anything at all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You say "Lucina is likely to return due to her immense popularity."

...I fully disagree. Now that Fire Emblem matches Pokemon in numbers, I think its safe to say, expect cuts. And she is the easiest to cut.

There is really no better comparison. Both Pokemon and FE have many new games, and a long legacy, with each iteration creating a fully new cast (worse so in FE, actually).

In other words... Squirtle is easily more popular to an overall fanbase of gamers and pop culture, than is Lucina.
So... I think Lucina is easily the most likely cut of the game.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I think that ignores context. Squirtle isn't the most popular character of the game it debuted in. Lucina is.

Lucina has continued to appear prominently in games since Smash 4's release.

And if Sakurai doesn't feel like putting in the effort to make her unique, why wouldn't he do what he did the last time and keep her as an easy to make clone?

I would like to at least state I don't find her coming back to be a guarantee.

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
If she is "cut" she will probably share the slot with Marth like it was supposed to be at first, but i can't see her being removed completely

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Like Dark Pit to Pit I think she will be back but as a skin for Marth rather than a separate character

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If she is cut, she most likely will be a costume for Marth, like originally planned. Also she is at this point one of Intelligent Systems main mascots, that should help her case to imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think she's a guarantee. Like the OP states, she's super popular among Fire Emblem fans and is as close to a direct copy-paste clone as you can get, while also delivering a completely different take on the original. It's kind of amazing in a way. In all likelihood she'll keep the same moveset, but I hope her specials get changed a bit a la Falco. Maybe make her Shield Breaker use a lance? It could be better at shield breaking and have slightly longer range, but deal less damage and knockback. It wouldn't have a sweetspot though, like the rest of her moves (since she's supposed to be a beginner's Marth). Although if she got completely new moves, I'd love to see her Strong IV from FE Warriors as a side special. I'm absolutely addicted to that animation. A true Aether attack would make a great down special; a healing strike followed by a move that ignored shields would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
She's pretty much the face of new-age Fire Emblem next to Chrom and Robin so she makes a strong argument to come back. I for one would die for a de-cloned Lucina but it's muddy waters. If they cut any FE character, I hope it's Corrin and Roy

C. Karnage

Smash Rookie
I really don't get why people say "I want to see soandso get cut", it's like saying I hope you trip and land face first on concrete.

anyways I'm on the enhanced port train as to what this new Smash is, so I really doubt we're going to be loosing anybody.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think she's a guarantee. Like the OP states, she's super popular among Fire Emblem fans and is as close to a direct copy-paste clone as you can get, while also delivering a completely different take on the original. It's kind of amazing in a way. In all likelihood she'll keep the same moveset, but I hope her specials get changed a bit a la Falco. Maybe make her Shield Breaker use a lance? It could be better at shield breaking and have slightly longer range, but deal less damage and knockback. It wouldn't have a sweetspot though, like the rest of her moves (since she's supposed to be a beginner's Marth). Although if she got completely new moves, I'd love to see her Strong IV from FE Warriors as a side special. I'm absolutely addicted to that animation. A true Aether attack would make a great down special; a healing strike followed by a move that ignored shields would be amazing.
I would go further than "among Fire Emblem fans" as I believe she is genuinely one of the characters that outsiders see often enough as well. "Among Fire Emblem fans" implies more of an Ana or Tiki, something to that effect. But she has universal appeal.

I do not even mind if she is a clone, I just disliked Marth in Smash 4. If he were more like Melee or Brawl, I would probably be more thrilled.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think she'll stay. She's insanely popular, and it makes a lot of sense she's very similar to Marth. She's basically the second face of Fire Emblem these days, and this will probably ensure her to be in Smash Bros. for at least this next game. I doubt she'll be less relevant any time soon. Especially with Awakening's children characters appearing in Fates as well. I think she'll be in other Fire Emblem games likewise as Owain, Severra and Inigo did in Fates.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I think she'll stay. She's insanely popular, and it makes a lot of sense she's very similar to Marth. She's basically the second face of Fire Emblem these days, and this will probably ensure her to be in Smash Bros. for at least this next game. I doubt she'll be less relevant any time soon. Especially with Awakening's children characters appearing in Fates as well. I think she'll be in other Fire Emblem games likewise as Owain, Severra and Inigo did in Fates.
Not going to lie, I wouldn't oppose the idea of an Awakening prequal, where you see Grima rising in the bad future and you see the Gen 1 units dying. Guess the ending of that game is going to be predictable though xD

Morbi

Scavenger
Not going to lie, I wouldn't oppose the idea of an Awakening prequal, where you see Grima rising in the bad future and you see the Gen 1 units dying. Guess the ending of that game is going to be predictable though xD
It would be great if that was what Fire Emblem on the Switch was about. It would be a great excuse to keep Lucina and Robin without adding another character... Unless that character were Chrom, I suppose.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I feel pretty confidently that she'll return. She's easily one of the biggest names in Fire Emblem right now, and she'll be one of the easiest to keep around in Smash. I fully expect Marth, Ike and Lucina to be on the base roster.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
It would be great if that was what Fire Emblem on the Switch was about. It would be a great excuse to keep Lucina and Robin without adding another character... Unless that character were Chrom, I suppose.
Oh boy, that would cause some chaos though, due Awakening in my experience also has a "major hatebase" (basically the effect when a niché franchise, finally breaks mainstream, that game will always get hate from elitists)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think that ignores context. Squirtle isn't the most popular character of the game it debuted in. Lucina is.

Lucina has continued to appear prominently in games since Smash 4's release.

And if Sakurai doesn't feel like putting in the effort to make her unique, why wouldn't he do what he did the last time and keep her as an easy to make clone?

I would like to at least state I don't find her coming back to be a guarantee.
Lucina... appeared in Hyrule Warriors. And I bet the phone game.
I dont know for sure but I dont think she makes even cameos in the other main series games.
Yet...
Squirtle is literally in every Pokemon game, and in many, very prominently.
The Pokemon franchise is massively more viewed than that of Fire Emblem.
It is in fact a cultural phenomenon the likes of which other games have never experienced.
And still of that, Squirtle is one of the most recognizable faces.

I'm not sure what your point is exactly, but if it is that Lucina is more popular to the masses than Squirtle, youre wrong. Any Pokemon of any popularity has a massive advantage over most other characters in entertainment as a whole.
Lucina has certainly not even escaped the borders of recognition past the confines of the video game world.

Her cut is easily the single most probable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could work, even IF Awakening already sort of adressed that timeline in a way. And why would it be so bad? FE4 does exactly just that.
Oh boy, that would cause some chaos though, due Awakening in my experience also has a "major hatebase" (basically the effect when a niché franchise, finally breaks mainstream, that game will always get hate from elitists)
I just only recently got a 3DS, and therefore also got to experience Awakening because of it (played Echoes and a little of Fates before it, surprisingly, Awakening is harder to find a copy of). And it's a excellent game! Before, Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance where both my favorite games, but whoa, Awakening DID push the franchise further by a lot. If only by it's mere presentation. Cutscenes are deep and beautifully done.

Yeah stuff like Pair Up and certian skill combinations are downright broken, but Fates took care of that pretty well.

Overall, 3DS Fire Emblem has been a great experience.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I dont know for sure but I dont think she makes even cameos in the other main series games.
Yet...
It is in fact a cultural phenomenon the likes of which other games have never experienced.

I'm not sure what your point is exactly, but if it is that Lucina is more popular to the masses than Squirtle, youre wrong. Any Pokemon of any popularity has a massive advantage over most other characters in entertainment as a whole.
Lucina has certainly not even escaped the borders of recognition past the confines of the video game world.

My point is that Lucina is the most popular Fire Emblem Awakening character and Awakening is one of the most popular Fire Emblem games. Squirtle isn't the most popular Pokemon in Gen 1 or any Gen really. That can be Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, whoever - it's not Squirtle. Lucina is literally the third most popular of all Fire Emblem characters and is more popular than Marth, Roy, Robin, and Corrin.

And I don't know why you compared Squirtle and Lucina in the first place.

I also said she can still be added as an easy to make clone like she was in Smash 4.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My point is that Lucina is the most popular Fire Emblem Awakening character and Awakening is one of the most popular Fire Emblem games. Squirtle isn't the most popular Pokemon in Gen 1 or any Gen really. That can be Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, whoever - it's not Squirtle. Lucina is literally the third most popular of all Fire Emblem characters and is more popular than Marth, Roy, Robin, and Corrin.

And I don't know why you compared Squirtle and Lucina in the first place.

I also said she can still be added as an easy to make clone like she was in Smash 4.
I said that Lucina will be cut because it has the second most number representatives in Smash, and series with more characters are first on the chopping board.
Both Pokemon and Fire Emblem, with six characters, constantly rotating casts, and a lot of new opportunities, are likely to receive cuts.
And Lucina offers the absolute, factual, least of the current Fire Emblem roster.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I (obviously) want her back and she has plenty to pull from for decloning (even Warriors gave her her idle stance and they still cloned her). They could simply take Aether, give her the diagonal descent from Warriors, and, presto, new recovery move. I'm not opposed to her having a lance (they might could even use the one from Heroes) or a bow, but she should still have Falchion as her default weapon.

As for voice, I actually want Tipton. Her voice has grown on me to the point I prefer her to Bailey.

It could work, even IF Awakening already sort of adressed that timeline in a way. And why would it be so bad? FE4 does exactly just that.

I just only recently got a 3DS, and therefore also got to experience Awakening because of it (played Echoes and a little of Fates before it, surprisingly, Awakening is harder to find a copy of). And it's a excellent game! Before, Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance where both my favorite games, but whoa, Awakening DID push the franchise further by a lot. If only by it's mere presentation. Cutscenes are deep and beautifully done.

Yeah stuff like Pair Up and certian skill combinations are downright broken, but Fates took care of that pretty well.

Overall, 3DS Fire Emblem has been a great experience.
FE7 was a prequel too, so it's not out of the question. However, If they did a prequel to Awakening, something with the first Exalt might work better.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I said that Lucina will be cut because it has the second most number representatives in Smash, and series with more characters are first on the chopping board.
Both Pokemon and Fire Emblem, with six characters, constantly rotating casts, and a lot of new opportunities, are likely to receive cuts.
And Lucina offers the absolute, factual, least of the current Fire Emblem roster.
Honestly if Lucina gets "cut", she most likely will return as a costume for Marth. Also a common misconception is that she alongside Dark Pit and Dr. Mario wasted "slots", but in reality they did take even lesser effort then creating the 6 Melee clones. Heck Lucina even took the least effort to create, due all they did was remove Marths tipper, so i'm really confident she will return atleast as a costume, but also a chance exists she could return Luigified, due her popularity is nothing to sneeze at.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, Smash made her as popular as she is. If not, she wouldn't be playable in a few extra games because of the Smash amiibo.. It legitimately made Fates fall into the same universe of Awakening for example. Then comes Heroes, where she's always been a very popular character even before Brave Lucina. Next is Fire Emblem Warriors, which is still a recent game.

She just has way too much going on for her. I could see her being Luigified and share her spot with Chrom even?

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Honestly, Smash made her as popular as she is. If not, she wouldn't be playable in a few extra games because of the Smash amiibo.. It legitimately made Fates fall into the same universe of Awakening for example. Then comes Heroes, where she's always been a very popular character even before Brave Lucina. Next is Fire Emblem Warriors, which is still a recent game.

She just has way too much going on for her. I could see her being Luigified and share her spot with Chrom even?
She also appeared in that Project X Zone game and has a figma to (Fire Emblem Merchandise in general is rare btw)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly if Lucina gets "cut", she most likely will return as a costume for Marth. Also a common misconception is that she alongside Dark Pit and Dr. Mario wasted "slots", but in reality they did take even lesser effort then creating the 6 Melee clones. Heck Lucina even took the least effort to create, due all they did was remove Marths tipper, so i'm really confident she will return atleast as a costume, but also a chance exists she could return Luigified, due her popularity is nothing to sneeze at.
It may be bonus, but look at what happened to Pichu, Roy, and the Doc after Melee.
It's still time and resources that could be used elsewhere.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Okay, so assuming Lucina does get back and gets some decloning, what ideas do you have for new moves? I have a few.

F-smash: Her critical hit from Awakening where she spins mid air before coming down hard. Decent forward movement, but kind of slow to come out. Good power to compensate.

Dash attack: Based off of her quick stabbing motion from Awakening.

Up special: The Aether animation from Warriors with the diagonal descent. Less power than Ike's to make up for superior recovery potential.

Side Special: That spinning slash thing that she and Chrom do. They even have the Mii swordfighter move to work it off of.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I just want to throw my 2 cents in to say that I believe there really is a lot of value to having a Marth alt that doesn't use tippers, and it was actually present at the high levels that some matchups would have Marth players switch to Lucina (I can't remember what off the top of my head but I know it was happening).

Now whether or not that means Lucina is returning as a Marth costume, a clone to herself or gets a new moveset while Marth just has a toggle somewhere in the selection screen I don't mind. But yeah, that's me just tossing my hat into the discussion.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm honestly against decloning. Marth has been a top tier in every game he's been in and Lucina was a top tier in Smash 4. The moveset just works; I want her to be a top tier again and the moveset is just so good

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Yet...

Her inclusion is all but a shoe-in tbh. 2nd most popular character, easy to include, gives players more options (their several differences)... We're talking like 90-99% chance of getting in at this point, objectively speaking.

Lucina never appears in Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm honestly against decloning. Marth has been a top tier in every game he's been in and Lucina was a top tier in Smash 4. The moveset just works; I want her to be a top tier again and the moveset is just so good
Exactly! She's low maintenance in this regard. Very easily to include, for a very popular character who has the exact same animations as another insanely popular character that is overall well designed. I think she's one of the most clever clones in Smash history. I am pretty certain she's gonna stay because of this.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Her inclusion is all but a shoe-in tbh. 2nd most popular character, easy to include, gives players more options (their several differences)... We're talking like 90-99% chance of getting in at this point, objectively speaking.

Lucina never appears in Hyrule Warriors.
Objectively speaking? Objectively, Fire Emblem is likely to get a NEW character, just like Pokemon is likely to get a new character.
Objectively, Fire Emblem is likely to receive cuts, just like Pokemon.
Objectively, Lucina's moveset brings the LEAST to the table of all the Fire Emblem characters.

Now... conclusively, her likelihood of getting back in as a playable character in her own slot, seems quite minimal.
That is what the objective facts state.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Objectively speaking? Objectively, Fire Emblem is likely to get a NEW character, just like Pokemon is likely to get a new character.
Objectively, Fire Emblem is likely to receive cuts, just like Pokemon.
Objectively, Lucina's moveset brings the LEAST to the table of all the Fire Emblem characters.

Now... conclusively, her likelihood of getting back in as a playable character in her own slot, seems quite minimal.
That is what the objective facts state.
There's nothing objective about that, its all what you believe is likely making it subjective. Pretty much all speculative discussion right now is subjective. Especially when it comes to character likelihood.

Top Bottom