• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hope For Airspeed Buffs

MicaiahSplat

Smash Rookie
Falco is a bird. But in Smash Bros, despite his high jumps, he has always had lackluster air mobility. I'm not quite sure what drugs Nintendo was smoking in order to give Little Mac a higher airspeed than a bird, but I am hoping for this to be fixed in Smash Ultimate. It would allow him to be able to follow up better and to have a less telegraphed approach.
Thoughts?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Birds don't wear jackets, pilot spacecrafts, do karate chops, use weaponry or speak in a human language either, yet here we are.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Haha, quite the sarcastic comments your getting.
Anyways, I think an airspeed buff would be fun! He's so slow on the ground it'd be nice for them to make him even better in the air as thats where his main strength seems to be.
Maybe this is a bit much but maybe they could give him the ability to slowly float down if you hold jump, similar to Peach. It could help set up those sweet spikes!

Cam61

Smash Rookie
I think the reason Falco doesn't have great air speed comes down to one of two reasons; one of which is alot more likely than the other. First is canonically speaking that it could be because of the metal prosthetic legs weighing him down making jumping as high as he does difficult as is. Then there is the META answer of if falco had amazing air mobility, fast fall speed, and jump height he would be too strong and could win by just comboing someone offstage with his insane drift on aerials. He could make it back before they could cause of a second jump that covers alot of both vertical and horizontal distance, then go back offstage and gimp them.

I think the reason Falco doesn't have great air speed comes down to one of two reasons; one of which is alot more likely than the other. First is canonically speaking that it could be because of the metal prosthetic legs weighing him down making jumping as high as he does difficult as is. Then there is the META answer of if falco had amazing air mobility, fast fall speed, and jump height he would be too strong and could win by just comboing someone offstage with his insane drift on aerials. He could make it back before they could cause of a second jump that covers alot of both vertical and horizontal distance, then go back offstage and gimp them.
Amazing air speed would be too much, yeah. The problem is that his horizontal speed in general is bad. His combo game is fine and he can box well, but he can't approach well enough to get many whiff punishes or get past swords effectively. Most of his long combos are vertical, anyway, so a small bump in aerial mobility wouldn't change much except his ability to keep up in neutral and his ability to link what he already does more consistently. You might get some low percent nair combos, but the KB growth would keep that from being a problem when it would net him kills.

If Falco had a little more air speed and a little more damage on his laser, I think he would have everything he needs to do well. Like a lot of the cast, a couple small things are all he really needs.

Top Bottom