• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

/HOPE 4! PA/OHIO/WV/MD/VA/CANADA?! doubles=mk banned!

M@v

Subarashii!

Intro
We are back again with the next installment of the /Hope series, /Hope4! This will take place on Sunday, Dec.18th, 2011. This OP will be updated with much more info closer to the event. There is one major announcement that will be stated now:
Metaknight in banned in doubles at this tournament. He IS legal in 1v1s still.

PLEASE BRING SETUPS!!!!!

Venue:
The same venue you've come to know and love:
Clarence Fugh Memorial Hall
27 Crescent Ave.
Etna, PA
http://www.etnavfd.org/fugh.html
Still with free soda fountain drinks!

Schedule
10AM: Venue opens
11:30: Doubles begins(both games)
~2:30: Singles begins(both games)
~9pm(or when all events are over) Venue closes.

Prices
$5 Venue fee
$10 Brawl Singles
$10 Melee Singles
$20 Brawl Doubles(per team)
$20 Melee Doubles(per team)

BRAWL RULESET:
Due to this tournament's close proximity to APEX 2012, we will be using APEX 2012's ruleset for this tournament! Expect us to go back the unity rule set for the future tournaments though.

3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
Items set to “Off” and “None”
Pause set to “Off”
Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
There is a 50 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters, except Meta Knight which is 35. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters, except Meta Knight with 13. The only other exception to this is the game ending from a Bowser or Ganon Suicide tactic, where the initiator of the move wins.

Modified Doubles Rules

Team Attack set to “On”
Life stealing is allowed.
In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure

Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking 2 stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
The first match is played.
The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
The next match is played.
Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage List
Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon

In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.

Melee Ruleset
Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpick:

Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:

Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpick:

DK 64

General Rules

Items are set to off.
Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
Wobbling is banned.
Double Blind*: If elected.
Contest Port Priority*: If elected.
Neutral Start*: If elected.
DSR Modified will be used*
Gentleman’s Clause*
Forced Character Selection*: Off
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

Team Attack: ON.
Life Stealing is allowed.
If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

How to Play a Set

Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
Use Stage Striking* to determine the first stage.
The players play the first match of the set.
Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.

Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a
Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
The next match is played.
Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Term Definitions

Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.

Singles:
Stage Port 1 Port 2 Port 3 Port 4
FD * *
FoD * *
YS * *
DL * *
BF * *
PS * *

Doubles:
Stage Port 1 Port 2 Port 3 Port 4
FD Team A Team B Team A Team B
PS Team A Team B Team B Team A
BF Team A Team B Team B Team A
YS Team A Team B Team B Team A
DL Team A Team B Team B Team A

DSR Modified: A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on.
Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
Players strike stages in this order:

Strike Player 1 Player 2
Strike 1 *
Strike 2 *
Strike 3 *
Strike 4 *

jarvitz

Smash Apprentice
good stuff. Bringing my full brawl set up as usual. Also, maybe you should have a n64 side event or brawl low tiers. I know many people wanted to play smash64 at hope 3, I could bring a 64 for that too. (only 1 tv between the 2 though)

also ill be accepting MMs.

zss vs anything but falco.

Life

Smash Hero
Booooo, Apex ruleset.

I'll still come tho, it's either this or wait nearly a year for another tournament... stupid inactive scene >_<

I'll be going Marth btw.

Hypothetically speaking, /hope6 would be right before the next Apex, right? And /hope8 before the Apex after that... so... I was going somewhere with this...

•Col•

Smash Champion
First you go into ghost mode, then you make your avatar the worst tales protagonist of all time?

OF ALL TIME.

smh
Aside from the 20 "Are you a man or a dog" flashbacks within the first hour of the game, I enjoyed Emil. I liked him because if I was a Tales protagonist, I'd be more like him than any other(kinda sucky). And by the end of the game he was decent.

But who would you say was the best Tales protagonist of all time? I swear to god, if you say Yuri.......

also, smashboards isn't life

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Can't make it because UM has the dumbest final exam schedule ever :( I'll have to wait until /HOPE 5 for my return to Pittsburgh

•Col•

Smash Champion
lol why is mk banned for dubs? Just trying it or something?
Because otherwise, the typical team setups(that place) are:

2 random/weird characters that have AMAZING synergy
MK+Other
MK+MK(my favorite)

Life

Smash Hero
lol why is mk banned for dubs? Just trying it or something?
Because otherwise, the typical team setups(that place) are:

2 random/weird characters that have AMAZING synergy
MK+Other
MK+MK(my favorite)
This, more or less. It's rare to see a doubles match without at least two MKs.

"Just trying it" is a fairly accurate statement though.

He's still legal in singles 'cause of Apex, in case you're wondering.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Hey look...I can probably come to this!!
:D

I'll just make Denzi drive me home from school = w=

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Aside from the 20 "Are you a man or a dog" flashbacks within the first hour of the game, I enjoyed Emil. I liked him because if I was a Tales protagonist, I'd be more like him than any other(kinda sucky). And by the end of the game he was decent.

But who would you say was the best Tales protagonist of all time? I swear to god, if you say Yuri.......

also, smashboards isn't life
Yes, Yuri. He's more or less the epitome of epic. The only real problem he faces is how little he changes throughout the game, but he has so much to his character in the first place that that doesn't even matter. And Emil got decent? Sealing away one of the three things that made the game bearable is decent? Phooey. All he did was stay a whiny little brat who hid behind everyone else until the end, and then he just turned into dumb "I'm gonna do everything myself" idiot for the last two hours. The bad end should've been the real end to the game, just to get rid of the terrible new characters (except Tenebrae, he's cool).

Back on topic, M@v salty. Good thing doubles is never important. >____________>

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Oh heck yeah, Carroll x3
Well, it all depends on how much money I have left on me after my first few quarters at school :'D

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I vote for a Balanced Brawl tournament. I'm tired of running face first into an unwinnable matchup by my second game every time I go to one of these. No, I will not change characters in order to win.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
That a boy Fran:) bring the whole gang! I promise we'll do crews this time!
haha we definitely need to make that happen. Hopefully some other WV fools show up and it's not just me and KrazyKrox, otherwise we'll have to do like a 2 v 5 crew battle XD

But yeah, imma definitely try and hit this up. Speaking of which, i'm going to legit try and hold some tournaments at WV, hopefully we see some of you guys there =D

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I override his vote with a vote for a Brawl- tournament.
I override his vote with a vote for a Kirby Air Ride tournament.

Also, possible possibility is possible. Then again, I say that for every damn Pitt tourney :(.

I swear I will try very very very VERY hard to make this.

P.S. Pat, if we have a set at this, it's gotta be Puff vs. Sheik!!

P.S.S. Try and get Slim to this by holding MK9, I bet it'd give him an excuse to finally get some Pitt food :bee:

:205:

jarvitz

Smash Apprentice
I override ALL of these votes with a smash64 side event. People wanted it last time. maybe RPS or pokemon so I could say I won something. (pokemon).

Still accepting MMs of my zss vs anything but falco.

Look for a dubz partner as well. I use zss and lucas, and I'm better in dubz than singles.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I don't play this game at all anymore, but /hope is always a fun time. So, I'll be there.

:phone:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
megabus tix are currently available until the beginning of november, as soon as they are on sale for december I'm checking prices for this

im hoping i can get on board early enough to get mega cheap tix

Top Bottom