• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

/HOPE 3! ATL NORTH/MIDWEST REIGIONAL! PA/OH/MI/MD/VA/WV/FL?!/and more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@v

Subarashii!

original background picture found here:
http://sakikoamana.deviantart.com/art/MetaKnights-117934059

This tournament was up in the air for a while, due to some life stuff I had to take care of. But I've gotten it all straightened out, and therefore the /HOPE series will continue! This tournament will be a 1 day Brawl and Melee event.

VENUE
The same venue you've come to know and love:
Clarence Fugh Memorial Hall
27 Crescent Ave.
Etna, PA
http://www.etnavfd.org/fugh.html
Still with free soda fountain drinks!

PLEASE BRING BRAWL AND MELEE SETUPS! THE MORE WE HAVE THE SMOOTHER THE TOURNEY WILL RUN!

EVENTS AND FEES
$5 Venue/Spectator fee
$10 Brawl Singles
$10 Melee Singles
$20 Brawl doubles per team
$20 Melee doubles per team

SCHEDULE
Schedule
9:30 am Venue Opens
9:30 am - 12:00pm Registration/Friendlies
12:00pm - Brawl/Melee doubles begin
Approximately 2pm: Brawl AND Melee singles pools.(If setups allow; otherwise whichever event is bigger goes first). Brackets will immediately follow pools.
If not enough setups, Melee begins immediately after Brawl.
~10pm: venue closes

RULES

BRAWL RULES(UNITY RULESET)
See here for the rules. We will be using the BBR's unity ruleset for this tournament.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12492158&postcount=1

MELEE RULES
Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Procedure:

1. Character selection. Blind pick may be requested by either player, and it cannot be denied.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage.
Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON

HOUSING

I will update this section with anyone who is offering housing. In addition, here are a few hotel options:

HOTELS:
Hotwire.com: Type in 15201 as the area code, and the nights you would stay. Gives you a HUGE list.

Pittsburgh Days-Inn Harmarville. $60 per night. 6.57 miles from venue. Its all highway driving so its only like a 10 minute drive.
http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/h...19175&plf=PCLN

Quality Inn University Center. $96 a night. 3.7 miles from the venue
http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/h...19175&plf=PCLN

Questions?
IM me, PM me, post up, or Call/text me (412)855-1473

Life

Smash Hero
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:falcon: YES :falcon:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Between this and Smash Nation 2 it's almost like we have an actual Smash scene. *manly tears of joy*

And hbox. Don't leave us like M2K did last-minute for /hope2, k? People of your caliber showing up gives the tournament a certain legitimacy. *brofist*

<insert obligatory Unity complaints here>
(just joking, mostly)

And a massive lessthanthree to M@V for sorting life out and running this tournament. (It's "incom" and is pronounced like it is spelled. :p)

...I'm almost more excited about this than OBL dying, hahaha. <.<

Life

Smash Hero
i can't make it this date ill be at an iowa tournament :(

u think i didn't want to make hope2? My mom wouldn't let me leave because of the storm -.-
Nothing personal man. You didn't mention that bit... and I've never met you IRL but you seem to be a pretty cool guy. Peace?

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah, I made this a 1 day on saturday since July 4th is Monday. I feel that may of hurt Sunday attendance due to travel plans, etc.etc.etc.

Life

Smash Hero
Hey M@V. Question I forgot to ask last time. Brawl, Sonic, Homing Attack under the stage. Stalling or no? This has been a subject of debate over on the metagame boards since like 2008 and was wondering what your policy on it was.

EDITed for horrible Engrish.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Mav's coming to my thing so I gotta come to his :D This is July 4th weekend but I should be able to come to this no prob because its 2 days before the 4th. I'll setup an 8 man carpool when the date comes closer.

M@v

Subarashii!
Its really hard to pull off unless the other player's a moron tbh, but if you call me or someone I designate as a ref over, and they are doing it for a long *** time(I'd say a minute +),I'll call them out on it

Mav's coming to my thing so I gotta come to his :D This is July 4th weekend but I should be able to come to this no prob because its 2 days before the 4th. I'll setup an 8 man carpool when the date comes closer.
Talk to Ally if you can; I know he's looking to come if he can find a ride.

M@v

Subarashii!
Tbh, on most stages you can beat it by simply moving near the ledges on each side. Will make him extremely vulnerable.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm ridin in Keitaro's carpool

I've gotta keep my winning title in Pittsburgh after my **** session known as Steel City Showdown

AllyKnight

Hey M@V. Question I forgot to ask last time. Brawl, Sonic, Homing Attack under the stage. Stalling or no? This has been a subject of debate over on the metagame boards since like 2008 and was wondering what your policy on it was.

EDITed for horrible Engrish.
Dude, did you know if you jumped HIGH enough/ roll/ spotdodge it doesn't let Sonic 'AIM' at you which means he'll go down instead of hitting the wall.

The more you know!

Also yes Keitaro, I will be in NJ during that time, can I be hitching a ride with you before I go compete in the Europe Land of Fromage.

Life

Smash Hero
Dude, did you know if you jumped HIGH enough/ roll/ spotdodge it doesn't let Sonic 'AIM' at you which means he'll go down instead of hitting the wall.

The more you know!

Also yes Keitaro, I will be in NJ during that time, can I be hitching a ride with you before I go compete in the Europe Land of Fromage.
Please tell me you are trolling.

Elsewise, why does the #2 Brawl player in North America not know that this doesn't work? (Yeah, you're trolling.)

In any case, should you show up I'll be glad to demonstrate.

AllyKnight

Please tell me you are trolling.

Elsewise, why does the #2 Brawl player in North America not know that this doesn't work? (Yeah, you're trolling.)

In any case, should you show up I'll be glad to demonstrate.
I unno I feel like I've tested this before lol. Prove me wrong ;)

I'll try it again tomorrow and tell you details about it

Keitaro

Thats cool Ally. For now I have Chibo, you, and myself. Gonna save the rest of the spots for people in my crew for now if they wanna come.

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
i coulda sworn if you just dodge up high or airdodge or w/e sonic will eventually just fall down? i know i use to main sonic but i didn't experiment/read about on dumb stuff like that loll

Life

Smash Hero
I heard a horn.
()@'

Videos it is, then. *off to youtube*

No vid yet, but tenki confirmed it back in 2k9: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6291275
Also note the title of Tier List v4: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266820 (DMG and SL84 confirm in-thread if you care to search)

Still can't find vids :urg:

The point is, a Sonic doing it correctly should rise up during the charge animation and if the HA is released while Sonic is already touching the ceiling, he immediately bounces no matter what the opponent is doing.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No, Shugo/Ally. Going high enough/rolling/spotdodging/airdoging does NOT send Sonic downward if he's already hugging the bottom of a solid (can't jump through it) platform and does Homing Attack.

If I'm below Final Destination, and using HA on the "ceiling" there, nothing you do outside of hitting me (which only stops it if the Sonic doesn't tech), or me willingly stopping, will stop it.

AllyKnight

No, Shugo/Ally. Going high enough/rolling/spotdodging/airdoging does NOT send Sonic downward if he's already hugging the bottom of a solid (can't jump through it) platform and does Homing Attack.

If I'm below Final Destination, and using HA on the "ceiling" there, nothing you do outside of hitting me (which only stops it if the Sonic doesn't tech), or me willingly stopping, will stop it.
Vids or it didn't happen ;D But I think I know what you mean... thought it's dumb and only asking to get stage spiked lol

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Oh girl I can wait to time people out and grab the edge 50 times.. Loooooool I actually play brawl now though. Consider me a top contender for top 3 in brawl as well as melee.
Also Mav help me out with the brawl part of my tourny. I'll reward ya;) but foreal I don't know a thing about the brawl scene around here. Lol

:phone:

M@v

Subarashii!
I didn't even know you were having brawl at yours. Where's the thread again?

EDIT: found it. Also while I'm still at penn state,where I have access to photoshop, I might try to make an official banner for this tourney. ^_^

Shugo-Chan

Smash Lord
@ Espy.. alright the time i just used spotdodge must've just been luck then O: that's a ghey method of stalling then if someone's like...falco.. =(

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Vids or it didn't happen ;D But I think I know what you mean... thought it's dumb and only asking to get stage spiked lol
Exactly. Too dangerous to use against Snake or Meta Knight.

@ Espy.. alright the time i just used spotdodge must've just been luck then O: that's a ghey method of stalling then if someone's like...falco.. =(
It's not really even a good stall tactic against most of the cast. It's only REALLY good on Final Destination anyways.

For Falco:

1) Drop down
2) Laser
3) Double Jump
4) UpB to ledge snap
5) Repeat steps 1-4 until percentage lead renders HA Abuse null and void.

However, Falco is one of those rare, unfortunate few that can't do a thing about it if Sonic has the stock lead.

It's a shame it's banned. It can't even really be considered stalling to begin with.

M@v

Subarashii!
I hope to see Flying Eagle (Berserker swordsman) here. I must get revenge for him knocking me out of the tourney in losers brax lul
He's going to be interning in Rochester this summer so I don't know if he will have time. How it worked last time was he came back with me from state college(He goes to PSU too) for a few days, then went home for break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom