• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honest question, why do people still care about single player content so much?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like the OP. I don’t care about the single player modes except for training mode. I’m happy they focused on the core of smash and i hope they’ll continue doing that.

But i also understand that there are players who can’t deal with competing and really trying to get better because that’s not always fun. I just find it hard to understand people prefer single player smash if they could play a real single player game. Why should you play a Subspace mode if you could just play a jump and run game like mario?
Because I can't play as over 30 characters from various Nintendo franchises, Sonic and Snake in Mario.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Because I can't play as over 30 characters from various Nintendo franchises, Sonic and Snake in Mario.
That’s right. But i feel like it is hatd to make a good jump and run with so many different movesets speeds and jumps. That makes it impossible to make it the right amount of difficulty or challenge for every character. And creating many stages for every character is impossible for a game like smash.

I guess everyone has their own opinion but that’s how i feel about it. I rather play super mario bros, metal gear or final fantasy if I want to see my favorite character.

D

Deleted member

That’s right. But i feel like it is hatd to make a good jump and run with so many different movesets speeds and jumps. That makes it impossible to make it the right amount of difficulty or challenge for every character. And creating many stages for every character is impossible for a game like smash.

I guess everyone has their own opinion but that’s how i feel about it. I rather play super mario bros, metal gear or final fantasy if I want to see my favorite character.
Most people don't like Subspace Emissary, and there's always other modes to try out to.

D

Deleted member

Because I have IRL friends who I can play with at home from time to time.

Also because single player content makes the game more useful in the scenario where Nintendo takes down Switch’s Online like they did with the DS.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Because I have IRL friends who I can play with at home from time to time.

Also because single player content makes the game more useful in the scenario where Nintendo takes down Switch’s Online like they did with the DS.
Switch's online isn't going anywhere for at least 5+ years (I could be wrong and they could come out with a new console and a new Smash sooner than I think). Ultimate alone will keep the online going past the system's "death" most likely, at least until there's a new Smash game on a new console. I know it's early to say but I think Ultimate has the potential to have a pretty long competitve lifespan, maybe not on par with Melee or 64s, but unless they screw up with the direction of the game it has a lot more staying power than Brawl and Smash 4. People will buy online subscriptions just for that reason and Nintendo will be making money on them so I don't see that being an issue

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think the answer is much more simple. Just look to the characters we have on this game. How can anyone not want to have an adventure where they are all mixed together, fighting a common enemy or fighting between them?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think the answer is much more simple. Just look to the characters we have on this game. How can anyone not want to have an adventure where they are all mixed together, fighting a common enemy or fighting between them?
The thing is, with 70+ characters it would now be such a massive undertaking that it would best be left to be it's own game, and probably not in the Smash style. Look at the Project X Zone games, single-player only and heavily simplified gameplay to account for massive differences in style of the games represented.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Honestly I would much rather Nintendo just bite the bullet and make a crossover platformer, finally.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, with 70+ characters it would now be such a massive undertaking that it would best be left to be it's own game, and probably not in the Smash style. Look at the Project X Zone games, single-player only and heavily simplified gameplay to account for massive differences in style of the games represented.
They already did it partially in Subspace Emissary, World of Light (specially with the final section of the game) and Smash Run. The problem is that they never achieved greatness in what they did, but it doesnt mean it's impossible. And yeah, it can really be it's own game, but at the same time, the core gameplay in Smash Ultimate is already very polished, to the point that now, they can focus on this without compromising the quality of the core gameplay.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd probably give up the entire game for a blockbuster Nintendo mashup movie.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Basically, the online mode sucks and if you don't want to pay for this service, then you'll need more single-player content. Not everyone has friends(/gf) of the same level that can come play at home. Nowadays, everyone plays alone with their friends online. Also, singl-player content mean different modes and bring widest experience to the player. Sometimes I like to play Smash Bros. in a competitive way and sometimes, I'd prefer just playing a totally different way the game. That's why Smash Bros is nice and why it works. Smash Bros 4 lacked of singleplayer mode and I personally get bored after few months playing. Anyway, with the new Stage Builder coming tomorrow, it'll had enough contents to satisfy me.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Because people want something to do besides play 1 vs. 1. This doesn’t seem like a question that’s very hard to come up with an answer for.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Responding to the topic, Smash has near endless potential for single player modes, its difficult to ignore. There isn't really reason for an established feature to just suddenly be absent. Its apart of Smash and helped shaped Smash into what it is.

Top Bottom