• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honest Question Really...

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
Didn’t Sakurai say that online mode would try to keep you fighting opponents who are of equal skill level to you? Because that never seems to be the case for me.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Huh? Did he actually say that? I don't remember anything like that. All I remember about online are the rules that would "promote" a more fun and safe environment for players.

I've mostly only fought on Team For Glory, and unless I was stuck with an inexperienced partner, I'd usually win. I'd go so far as to say that a majority of the opponents I faced were about on the same skill level of myself.

If it's true about what Sakurai said, then I don't see why they would do such a thing. If you weren't fighting opponents that were on your skill level, you'd most likely easily win or lose all the time. And where's the fun in an imbalanced match?

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
I for one never really get luck online. I rarely get I guy of similar skill to me. They either are really bad, stick to cheap tactics, or just to plain good. I want to fight people who are an even match.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I know how that feels. Spammy characters like Link, Samus, Bowser Jr., Charizard, and Little Mac are even worse to fight in TFG because they can hide behind their teammate, who usually gets in the way of you trying to focus on fighting that one spammy player. And if you're really unfortunate, you'll have to fight TWO spammy characters.

But people who are on par with yourself? They can give one of the best matches you've ever had. They're always a pleasure when fighting with or against them.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
I once did a match where I was playing as Falcon, the other dude was Marth, I was in a tight spot (aprox~120% he was half that) He just sent me to the ledge. So I did what any sensable person would do. I Kneed him froom the ledge, ran over to the other side of the stage and Landed the Dair spike. I still lost the match, But I would prefer something like that to what I usually get. I have that recorded.

D

Deleted member

Even if he did say that, how would he even do that? Someone correct me if im wrong, but that seems like impossible. They would have to build some sort of system to track how you play and how good you play. That just sounds impossible.

Now, it would be cool if you were matched with other players your skill level, but i dont think you can do that.

Edit :Yea, people's skill level on FG is so random. Ill play someone good, but then they play for like once, then ill play a spammy duck hunt, then ill find a person that just calls me names. Never can just have a good time...

Last edited by a moderator:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
One of my first ever matches on Team For Glory was where my partner and I were fooling around with dual Captain Falcons. Our enemy was a Ganondorf who seemed interested in playing around with us, and a Toon Link who just wanted to play the game normally. Near the end of the match, while the Ganondorf was recovering, my partner and I both planned to intercept him—my partner went with a Down Air, and I went for a Falcon Punch. When the D-Air hit, it sent the Ganondorf plummeting towards my Falcon Punch, and needless to say, it KO'd him. I couldn't manage to recover, but boy, did that feel great. We all taunted because of what just happened, except for the Toon Link, who was still focusing on the match. We ended up losing, but we ended up winning in style.

This was before the Replay-to-YouTube feature, so I had to record off my phone at the time. However, a couple of months ago, I made the mistake in choosing to delete my YouTube channel to recreate a new one, so all of my replays of Smash 4 are now gone. It only exists as a mere memory now.

There was this other time where I had a Marth as a partner, and fought against another Marth and an Ike. Overall, it was a really enjoyable match.
Even if he did say that, how would he even do that? Someone correct me if im wrong, but that seems like impossible. They would have to build some sort of system to track how you play and how good you play. That just sounds impossible.
Wasn't there the Global Smash Power? Granted, it was only used for solo play modes and not multiplayer, but I think that still counts as "some sort of system to track how you play and how good you play".

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
EDIT: Whoops. Forgot that I recently posted. Ignore this post. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of my first ever matches on Team For Glory was where my partner and I were fooling around with dual Captain Falcons. Our enemy was a Ganondorf who seemed interested in playing around with us, and a Toon Link who just wanted to play the game normally. Near the end of the match, while the Ganondorf was recovering, my partner and I both planned to intercept him—my partner went with a Down Air, and I went for a Falcon Punch. When the D-Air hit, it sent the Ganondorf plummeting towards my Falcon Punch, and needless to say, it KO'd him. I couldn't manage to recover, but boy, did that feel great. We all taunted because of what just happened, except for the Toon Link, who was still focusing on the match. We ended up losing, but we ended up winning in style.

This was before the Replay-to-YouTube feature, so I had to record off my phone at the time. However, a couple of months ago, I made the mistake in choosing to delete my YouTube channel to recreate a new one, so all of my replays of Smash 4 are now gone. It only exists as a mere memory now.

There was this other time where I had a Marth as a partner, and fought against another Marth and an Ike. Overall, it was a really enjoyable match.

Wasn't there the Global Smash Power? Granted, it was only used for solo play modes and not multiplayer, but I think that still counts as "some sort of system to track how you play and how good you play".
True. I guess I forgot about that. Yea that does count. But FG for sure didn't have that feature. But it would be cool if it was ever added in Ultimate's "For Glory"

Last edited by a moderator:

1FC0

Smash Lord

Now, it would be cool if you were matched with other players your skill level, but i dont think you can do that.
Many games use systems to track skill. This is nothing new or revolutionary. Even fans have created excellent such systems (e.g. the one that Pokemon Showdown's ladder uses).

Smash Bros could be doing this in the background. I always get paired with people who are vastly inferior to me but that is because i am the best on FG by far so no matter how good their pairing system is I will always have vastly inferior opponents due to the fact that the supply of players of about equal skill to me other than me that is available to the pairing system is empty.

Top Bottom