• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homosexual Smashers Play as Female or Feminine Characters?

DreamFunk

Smash Cadet
I don't think sexuality or gender would have any reason for picking people you play as, due to the fact that ZSS and Sheik are both top tier in Smash 4 and Sheik and Peach are pretty good in melee. People just pick who they want to pick, hell I play ZSS a lot just because of nostalgia

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Sexuality, gender, even upbringing and political opinions have an effect on who we play. It can't really be quantified, but I'd say those who identify as more feminine play those characters, while homosexuals likely identify as that more often it is still the main factor.

On a side note, I remember a Jersey player named "GAY" who used peach. Straightest guy I knew.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I don't think sexuality or gender would have any reason for picking people you play as, due to the fact that ZSS and Sheik are both top tier in Smash 4 and Sheik and Peach are pretty good in melee. People just pick who they want to pick, hell I play ZSS a lot just because of nostalgia
Well, a lot of people like a character for certain reasons and sexuality and gender cliches can intentionally or unintentionally leak into your preferences and/or personality. So the cliche of people playing a female character because they're gay isn't too far-fetched, but I kinda agree with this too - a lot of it will just be coincidence, or for other reasons, likely.

IIRC, I brought this up before in the thread, but as a gay Smash player, my secondary has almost always been Robin for the longest time, mostly because I like her playstyle - but I'm always pink Robin/female Robin, and it's literally just down to my preference of her costume and voice acting, otherwise I'd surely play male Robin.

I also think certain types of people are just gonna migrate to top tiers anyway. If you're super competitive, I doubt you personal preference is going to be based in aesthetics. At the end of the day, it really just matters what you're looking for in a character. If gay people are looking to kick ass as someone effeminate, so be it... They have plenty of chance in Smash 4. (lol Top Tier female dominance.)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Sexuality and gender has nothing to do with maining a character. I'm a guy here and Rosalina is my main because I like her as a character. I also play as Lucina for that same reason.

DavyChan

Smash Rookie
Well I'm gay and play as Zero Suit Samus, Zelda, and Bayonetta (as well as Sheik but I didn't know sheik was a girl at the time).

I think it does have a correlation. I pick girls a lot of times in games. In fact in pokemon I use to pick the women. lol

Mayonaise

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofanactor
I Believe that Not every Homophobic, is going to be a female character, just like 80% of them are.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I think the most you can say is that people with an appreciation for cuteness play cute characters. Maybe effeminate people (I feel like I'm going to catch heck for using that phrase) tend to appreciate cuteness more often than not, but I feel that applies, regardless of orientation.
I am bisexual, I adore cute stuff and cute characters. But I certainly do not act feminine in the slighlest. Not saying this in a mean way btw, I'm just talking about the subject of this thread being such a situational thing and tied to subjectiveness(because every player likes different things)

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
It may have some correlation but it probably shouldn't.

I don't know, though. This may be off topic but I'm a redhead and I second Roy and the redheaded Toon Link, so appearance may have something to do with it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
The same can be asked about why female gamers choose female mains/characters instead of males a lot of the time.

Either way, it could be just a coincidence or perhaps their reasons for it are different than you expect. We all main who we main for our own reasons that doesn't really have to do with our genders or sexuality. I'm gay and have been a huge Kirby main since the beginning.

Although I don't touch him as much anymore I can certainly say it wasn't because I'm gay. I've been a fan of the Kirby series as it was one I grew up with, same as Super Mario and Legend of Zelda. Sure I could of picked Link or Mario by that logic; however as a kid Kirby was just so much easier for me to use because "He can jump/float so many times!" kid logic. He carried over from Smash 64 to Melee, and the more I matured it became less of "He makes things easy" to "He's someone I'm used to and played a ton with".

Even now, my current mains are :4bayonetta: :4dedede: :4rob: with :4duckhunt: :4zelda: as special extras.

I don't believe none of them influenced my gay side as I have my own specific reasons for using them. Who knows, maybe it could be a subconscious thing that I have no clue about. Maybe there is some sort of connection to me being gay and the characters I play as.

All I know is I know why exactly I use who I use, and I have reasons other than "I'm gay" to back it up.

iFLuX

Smash Rookie
There's some stock to this theory.
I'll add Wife to the list.

EDIT: yeah yeah he's not gay... I don't know about that

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
There's some stock to this theory.
I'll add Wife to the list.

EDIT: yeah yeah he's not gay... I don't know about that
That's because Wife as a player probably only chose his name because of his regular teammate Husband and the seemingly obvious in-joke they have going on there between them playing Peach and Marth. Interesting to note that Wife's original main was apparently Ganondorf. So use that knowledge however you will.

Either way, never hurts to take a second or two to do a bit of research and avoid this kinda thing. lol

comics

Smash Cadet
Oh, for sure. You are more likely to see gay people playing female or feminine characters in video games.

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
I believe that the characters are decided mainly on how good the users can control that characters not by gender/sexuality

iFLuX

Smash Rookie
That's because Wife as a player probably only chose his name because of his regular teammate Husband and the seemingly obvious in-joke they have going on there between them playing Peach and Marth. Interesting to note that Wife's original main was apparently Ganondorf. So use that knowledge however you will.

Either way, never hurts to take a second or two to do a bit of research and avoid this kinda thing. lol
Any documentary-jerking kid knows that and I never disputed any of that but ye

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Any documentary-jerking kid knows that and I never disputed any of that but ye
lol I literally just wiki'd it. I'm not that hugely into the competitive scene, just a handful of players at best. Sorry if it seemed condescending, I literally just thought that'd maybe avoided your radar.

Still, it's knowledge for anyone else reading this thread unaware, so *shrug*.

iFLuX

Smash Rookie
lol I literally just wiki'd it. I'm not that hugely into the competitive scene, just a handful of players at best. Sorry if it seemed condescending, I literally just thought that'd maybe avoided your radar.

Still, it's knowledge for anyone else reading this thread unaware, so *shrug*.
Yeah, I understood you're point, however my point was more based on his lisp and demeanor. He claims not to be gay, but I'm not so sure.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Yeah, I understood you're point, however my point was more based on his lisp and demeanor. He claims not to be gay, but I'm not so sure.
Still, men are allowed to be camp without being gay and vice versa, there's kind of a whole term associated with it for this exact reason. (Also, what's a lisp got to do with it? lol)

Actually, I'd argue that this is part of the overall discussion. It's one of those generalisations that you can't be shocked to learn isn't true of an individual. If someone is camp it doesn't make them magically gay, all it's done is made a connection in your mind between "camp" and "gay". It's really important to notice that when in discussions like this. -especially just in case someone takes accidental offense.

As a "raging homo" myself, I could choose to take offense (I won't, I'm not that sensitive.) - I'm not actually really effeminate. It's a stereotype and not a fact for a reason. It doesn't mean camp gays don't exist, I've met them too, and definitely in a larger scale than camp straight men, but I've definitely met camp straight men too. Same can probably be said of people who for example, play Peach or Zelda in Smash - there might be more, and I think this is more what this discussion is about: "Is the stereotype true or not.".

-and this is just mostly about gay men. If I start going on about gay women, I'll have another 2 paragraphs about female gay stereotypes and another question on my hands: "Do female gay Smashers play stereotypical characters?" - which is something I think this thread has actually been not considering, now I mention it.

TL;DR: "Gay" and "camp" are not the same, and - for the thread in general, now I thought about it - does this same discussion include gay females Y/N?

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gay, but I am a cross dresser. I also basically only play as the ladies because I like to be close to the characters I play. I just identify more with women, so playing as the females goes hand in hand for me

yrag324

Smash Rookie
I think it has more to do with how someone identifies their personality rather than their sexuality. People like to play as characters they can identify with. In games where characters don't have different traits, or the traits don't influence gameplay as much, such as Mario Party or Mario Kart, I like to choose characters with personalities I like.

For example, I am a straight male, but I identify with more feminine personality traits than masculine. I lean more to the emotional and soft, which is generally thought to be more feminine than masculine. In Smash for me its more about playstyles that fit me moreso the emotional connection between me and the character. But in Mario games I like to play as characters like Boo, or Shy Guy, or Luigi that fit my personality, even though they are all identified as males, it is more the emotion and personality from the characters that attracts me. And in Smash when I play as a gender-swapping character I always chose female Robin, female Corrin, and female Wii Fit Trainer.

In general when it comes to character selection and gender, I think its more about who you can identify with, rather than your sexual orientation, and how the character "feels" in your mind. For example one of my Smash 4 mains is Villager, and I pick the standard male villager. I pick him firstly because I love his playstyle, but I pick his standard costume because that specific Villager just "feels" the way I feel about myself. He's a guy, but he's not a super masculine character, and his play style also suits my personality too.

When it comes to picking a character, and character attributes are ignored, I believe that being able to see yourself in the character is the key to choosing that character.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
To anyone pushing made-up genderspecial antics on this lighthearted thread: made up nonsense like "bigender" was made up by academic feminists who wanted to push John Money's propaganda of gender being a social construct, but had to deal with transsexuality being the smoking gun that completely torpedoed the lie by proving that your gender is hardwired before birth. Which is silly, because if gender WAS a social construct, anyone who identified differently from how they were born would simply be mentally ill.

On topic. (Sorry about that. Bevause of my girlfriend, I get defensive and have to debunk the snowflakery that makes it tough for people like her to get treatment)
If thete's a corellation here, maybe character playstyle also plays a role? Not just femininity?

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
i dont think there is too much of a correlation, i main yoshi but i dont like dinosaurs that way

«◆Jοhηηγ◆»

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Johnnycay
3DS FC
4983-5527-1165
I'm homosexual and I don't really think it matters what gender the character you main is (Not implying that I think you think it does) but my main is Zero Suit Samus so I guess a lot of LGBT smash players do sometimes have characters they main that are different genders than themself.

But I'm sure that could just be a mere coincidence.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've also noted that a lot of gay dudes play female characters, from Melee to Smash 4, such as MacD with Peach and Captain Zack, who mained Peach initially and switched to Bayonetta.

I don't know why they seem to be drawn to them.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
I'm gay, and my two mains are girls, (:4corrinf:,:4zss:) but i don't like them for being female, i just actually take sets with the two, and my melee main is :4jigglypuff:, so i guess it fits? but i also love guy characters so I dont think its a cause/effect thing, i think it's just that gay guys are for the most part more feminine so they like characters similar to themselves. The same as if a really straight and edgy middle-schooler mains :4cloud: and :4bayonetta2:,

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
For the most part I doubt it

Generally people playing competitively are playing characters they enjoy, not necessarily ones they are 'attracted' to (for whatever reason).

GatGoat

Smash Cadet
Im bisexual leaning towards women but i still think samus is the only "cool" female character, in MELEE at least. I think it just depends on the character matching your playstyle, period.

D

Deleted member

I'm bisexual, never really liken to any female video game characters for the most part to be honest. Especially when it comes to fighting games.

Since I was a kid I always loved the monster/saurian-type characters. Like Bowser, Lizardman, and Reptile. Recently though I do say that I love bishounen characters. Which have many feminine aspects. Which I do really like.

Edit: Also, no idea why it took me this long to notice but... Heh, homosexual smashers. :p LMAO. Sorry, I'm immature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I can only speak for myself, but as a gay men, it's rather the opposite.
Part of why I like to play as some characters is, because I find them kind of hot ( Shulk, Captain Falcon, Ike, probably Richter in Ultimate) but if they don't fit my playstyle (i.e. Little Mac), that is not a big enough factor to play them. I mean I'm definitly not attracted to Ridley or Kirby and want to play them, same for Sheik...
In conclusion I don't think there is really a correlation, people like to play the characters they like to play for a number of reasons, you can't just simplify it to gender or sexuality imo.

It can't really be quantified, but I'd say those who identify as more feminine play those characters, while homosexuals likely identify as that more often it is still the main factor.
I can tell you this is a, sadly pretty widespread, stereotype, most homosexuals don't identify as female.

Last edited:

iCrash

Smash Cadet
I dont think this would be tied, I'm Bi and main Marth

I could see liking the visual appeal appeal of a character changing depending on sexuality, but I would think in terms of mains, that would revolve more around playstyle preference than visual appeal

osby

Smash Obsessed
Personally speaking, yes. Not that I don't play as other characters but the characters I like to play as most are pretty feminine: Zelda, Jigglypuff, Palutena

Though, a lot of gay dudes find campy or feminine stuff. And a lot of others don't. It might be just selective perception.

Top Bottom