• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homosexual Smashers Play as Female or Feminine Characters?

Peedee

Smash Rookie
NNID
peedeeonedee
3DS FC
0688-6378-2192
Is it just me, or do a lot of homosexual smash players have female mains in Melee.
Such as DoH with Peach or KirbyKaze with Sheik

I'm gay as well, and I main Jiggs and pocket Sheik and Peach. I really like these characters, and I hope it's just not me.

Hydrobyte

~ If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me ~
NNID
Hydrabyte
I doubt there's a correlation with sexuality and character choice, or very little at least, but I haven't really payed attention to see if there was. And even if there is a correlation, it really doesn't matter all too much. People play the characters they enjoy.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I very much doubt that has to do with anything.
I weally like Sheik and Lucina and I plan on crossplaying as both of them, someday, but I'm straight. You just play whoever you like.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I would say there is a correlation, just as there is with female gamers. I'm gay and play peach, but I'm far from stereotypical.

Some people pick a character because its good or just feels right, others pick characters for the character. There were OH SO MANY sonic fan boys in brawl / smash 4. I'd say there is a trend for girls and effeminate guys to pick female characters, but only i they are picking for fan-boy / cute reasons.

It's certainly far from a rule, though.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Well, female characters do tend to have players that are gay, but uh...well, the reason's unknown.

I don't really think it matters all that much regarding sexual preference and choice of main, nor do I see any possible explanations as to why it is so.

I'm 99% sure that you just brought this up as a random observation of the day, and that's fine, but that doesn't really allow for any discussion 9.9

kingofconeyisland

Smash Rookie
NNID
coneyislandking
ZSS who? Bayonetta who? Captain Falcon clearly has the nicest butt in smash , anyways back on topic i do think it is a queer thing to pick female characters in general. I mean In every game i ever play, i almost always play as the female characters if im given the option. I main peach in all smash games she's in. I always pick morrigan in the marvel vs capcom games heck i even always choose the female pokemon trainer. It's just picking whoever you're most comfortable with tbh.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I think there's some truth to this :3
Please don't spam. Since you joined yesterday, I am going to do you a favor and tell you that you need to elaborate in juicy detail about your personal experience if you're going to tease inform us like that about how you smash. If you don't then I might find this post to be a reportable offense.

steppa

Smash Rookie
I don't think the sexuality of any character is succinctly reference at all, ever.

Some gender stuff is canon, though. Jigglypuff is an it (its a balloon, lol) and Sheik is bigender. Samus is some fictional "newhalf" identity which is kind of neat. None of these things really have to do with sexuality. They're just video game characters at the end of the day.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Some gender stuff is canon, though. Jigglypuff is an it (its a balloon, lol) and Sheik is bigender. Samus is some fictional "newhalf" identity which is kind of neat. None of these things really have to do with sexuality. They're just video game characters at the end of the day.
Jigglypuffs have gender and her alt costumes kind of imply it's a female (that and the odds, 75% of them are female) and I'm fairly sure Sheik and Samus are both women...

steppa

Smash Rookie
Jigglypuffs have gender and her alt costumes kind of imply it's a female (that and the odds, 75% of them are female) and I'm fairly sure Sheik and Samus are both women...
Jigglypuffs have a gender in Pokemon for game mechanics purposes, sure, but its still a balloon.
If costumes were the logic for defining personhood, Sheik would most definitely not be a woman.
Also, Samus is a "newhalf".

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If costumes were the logic for defining personhood, Sheik would most definitely not be a woman.
Well, Jiggles wears the hats of the female protagonists in Pokemon with her alt costumes. Same way Pikachu wears the hats of the male protagonists in his alts, and looking at his tail you can definitely tell it's a male.
Also, lots of Pokemon don't have a gender, Voltorb and Magnemite are examples, so it's not like they slapped a gender on Jigglypuff because they had to.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I think there's some truth to this :3
You weren't spamming or teasing, so don't worry. I didn't see your post as an offense in any way, so I think you're good. When you post, just be sure to post some detailed content rather than just a single statement (but again, you're fine). Just make sure you stay on topic with each thread is all I would add. That probably wasn't the most kind way to be greeted, so I'd like to say welcome to Smashboards! Let me know if you've got any questions or anything.

As for this, I don't think the gender of the character really influences someone to choose them. I am straight, and I play and Sheik, Palutena, and Peach, but also Mario and Yoshi too. It really doesn't make a difference I don't think. It is primarily based on play style, or perhaps interest caused from another game. Whomever you like is the one you typically choose. :)

TopazWeaver

Smash Rookie
There will likely
I don't think the sexuality of any character is succinctly reference at all, ever.

Many pokemon have gender. Jigglypuff is one of those pokemon that is considered to have a gender. In the Pokemon games, Jiggs has a 75% chance of being a female. Jigg's skins in the game are a red flower, a blue ribbon, green headband and peach's crown. Three of these are effeminate, and the one that's not isn't really effeminate or masculine, so I think it's safe to assume that jiggs is female.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Explain this? I don't understand.
Samus is some fictional "newhalf" identity which is kind of neat.
Wtf does this even mean? I looked it up and found absolutely nothing except for obvious clickbait articles that were either "Samus Aran is a trans!!!1" or "Samus is NOT a trans1!!!"
I did find this though

Kenobi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ben016
I'm a guy. I'm straight. I main Puff, Female Wii Fit Trainer, and I enjoy playing Zelda or Palutena from time-to-time. I also plan on picking up Bayonetta to some extent. Problem? I think not.

I'm a guy. I'm straight. I main Puff, Female Wii Fit Trainer, and I enjoy playing Zelda or Palutena from time-to-time. I also plan on picking up Bayonetta to some extent. Problem? I think not.
Nobody's saying that playing a female character makes you gay.

Which, it does. But that's besides the point.

Wtf does this even mean? I looked it up and found absolutely nothing except for obvious clickbait articles that were either "Samus Aran is a trans!!!1" or "Samus is NOT a trans1!!!"
I have zero clue how anyone could arrive to that conclusion.

steppa

Smash Rookie
Three of these are effeminate, and the one that's not isn't really effeminate or masculine, so I think it's safe to assume that jiggs is female.
It's a balloon that wears hats. You can gender it if you want, it'll still be total nonsense.

Last edited:

steppa

Smash Rookie
Explain this? I don't understand.
Clothing doesn't actually constitute gender. That's all you should basically take from it.

I did find this though
It means Samus is a fictional character with a fictional gender. It's not that serious.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Clothing doesn't actually constitute gender. That's all you should basically take from it.
Of course not, but what does that have to do with anything? As far as I know, Sheik and Zelda are essentially the same person so shouldn't the gender be the same?

It means Samus is a fictional character with a fictional gender. It's not that serious.
I can't find anything about this "newhalf" thing in regards to Metroid lore. On the Metroid wiki, her gender is listed as female. I trust that more than some Buzzfeed-esque article claiming otherwise.

It's a balloon that wears hats. You can gender it if you want, it'll still be total nonsense.
This is a silly argument. It's Pokemon, a game where sludge and dogs and balloons and rocks all live together and have different sexes and genders. Jigglypuff has an assigned gender ratio, and there is no reason that that would be different in Smash.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post

Samus is a girl wtf are you talking about. If there's anyone with a fictional gender it's you.

steppa

Smash Rookie
Of course not, but what does that have to do with anything? As far as I know, Sheik and Zelda are essentially the same person so shouldn't the gender be the same?
you'd have to ask the person that presented it as an argument about its relevance.
yeah, they're the same, which is why it's not a boy or a girl and interpreted as bigender.

This is a silly argument. It's Pokemon, a game where sludge and dogs and balloons and rocks all live together and have different sexes and genders. Jigglypuff has an assigned gender ratio, and there is no reason that that would be different in Smash.
gender and sex being shoehorned into a fictional universe is the silliest thing. All the pokémon lay eggs, nobody knows how they reproduce or why it only happens at a day care, etc.

Nonowa

Rich Homie
NNID
Wasabii
I think the most you can say is that people with an appreciation for cuteness play cute characters. Maybe effeminate people (I feel like I'm going to catch heck for using that phrase) tend to appreciate cuteness more often than not, but I feel that applies, regardless of orientation.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
yeah, they're the same, which is why it's not a boy or a girl and interpreted as bigender.
Zelda is a girl. If they are the same, they should be the same, meaning Sheik is also a girl. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, I 'd think people would want Sheik to be a girl to get rid of gender roles and ****.
gender and sex being shoehorned into a fictional universe is the silliest thing. All the pokémon lay eggs, nobody knows how they reproduce or why it only happens at a day care, etc.
They aren't being "shoehorned" in. That's just how the world works, so they implemented it into their game.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Gender does have its uses in the Pokemon game, mostly breeding, so it's not like they just added gender because yes.
Gen 1 didn't have genders because that game was rushed as hell, the source code is pieced together with duct tape and, kind of like Super Mario World, arguably there is more stuff that got cut than stuff that made it into the game.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
I don't really think so because most people are open minded and like both genders but idk. My mains are pretty balanced as Sheik and Lucina are my female mains and Yoshi + the Links are male, and I happen to be gay. So no I don't really think there's a correlation.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I'm straight, male and I main FemRobin, will be picking up FemCorrin when she comes out, and play as female characters in a lot of games.

Maybe there's a correlation, but I don't think it's in any way, shape or form a hard rule. I know straight girls who play male characters and straight guys who play female characters.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I always felt like there was some truth to this. I gravitated to Peach myself when I played melee casually.

Peedee

Smash Rookie
NNID
peedeeonedee
3DS FC
0688-6378-2192

Some gender stuff is canon, though. Jigglypuff is an it (its a balloon, lol)
Just a balloon?! How dare you. I will have you know that Jigglypuff is a beautiful little creature (no matter how low tier she is), and she shouldn't be called an 'it'.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I main exclusively male characters in Smash. The only game I play with any frequency where I main a female character is Street Fighter. Definitely a correlation and not a rule :p

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
there's no correlation whatsoever imo. i've only seen the tendency to use female characters in straight guys personally, but i see what ur saying.

also yeah it's definitely not just you so dw

Last edited:

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I mean on one hand I play Peach and am bisexual leaning towards my own sex.
But on the other hand, I am a woman.
And I mean I'm pretty sure I preferred playing as female characters long before I even considered dating other girls.

So uh... I have no idea where I fit into this.

I think female and feminine characters just have a universal appeal. People's choices to play them probably has more to do with individual taste in say Amazon Warriors (Samus?) or say Magical Girl Princesses (Peach?) or Greek Mythology and Goddesses (Palutena?) than it does orientation.

It wouldn't really surprise me if homosexuals had a disproportionate interest in certain character archetypes, though I don't think female characters are one of those archetypes, however considering straight people probably outnumber them substantially I'm not sure how exactly you'd test that theory.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I main exclusively male characters in Smash. The only game I play with any frequency where I main a female character is Street Fighter. Definitely a correlation and not a rule :p
there's no correlation whatsoever imo. i've only seen the tendency to use female characters in straight guys personally, but i see what ur saying.

also yeah it's definitely not just you so dw
While its definitely not even 50%, over the past 9 years I've definitely seen that more effeminate smashers tend to play effeminate characters. To say that there's no trend at all is simply wrong. It's definitely a higher percentage on cute characters than more serious characters.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ohhhh there's a correlation for sure.

Having said that, I'm gay and I main Falco lol.

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
While its definitely not even 50%, over the past 9 years I've definitely seen that more effeminate smashers tend to play effeminate characters. To say that there's no trend at all is simply wrong. It's definitely a higher percentage on cute characters than more serious characters.
i mean OP said homosexual and not effeminate so i wasn't even talking about feminine people but it's w/e

Top Bottom