• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homophobia in the black community

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
You're a ******.

I really wish stupidity was infractable.
While it being an illogical, I can get where mountain_tiger's from. You don't need to call him a ****** for such things, just educate him. I doubt that he hates gay people, he's probably unconsciously disliking them / is grossed out by the thoughts of their acts. At least he's trying not to hate on them, whatever his true feelings are towards homosexuality in general.

I have gay friends and I'm perfectly fine with them. I'm quite grossed out by seeing them make out with their boyfriends though, does that make me a homophobic dude? I don't mind seeing them walk around, grab an ***, overall cuddle together but making out is something I'd rather not see. But that's also me who dislikes having couples making out right beside me, so don't take my word for it.

All in all, you should really stop acting like a ******* and educate people over bashing them. I'm not even doing this because you acted like a ******* back in my music rant thread, you just seem to post like you're some hot **** all the time. Take it easy and educate, don't hate.

The closet is fine when you're in your twenties. Once you're past thirty, then it gets real dicey. Right at the point when your other friends start getting married, eyes start sneaking over in your direction in mute suspicion.

Don't do it, Frotaz. IT'S A TRAP.

Just kidding, AV. You know I <3 you. But let's try to keep the flames to a controlled burn this time.
You're soon getting in hot water Nino, aren't you? And I lol'd at the trap thing, srsly.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Mountain_tiger is gay, yo.
That's something I recall reading in one of his threads, I just couldn't clearly remember whether it was him or not. Thanks for the reminder :oneeye:.

Either way, I still find it quite ridiculous that even now, we don't seem to do much progress when it comes to discrimination. We do something right, then do something wrong. We 'accept' black people are 'equals' and then bash the homosexuals. If we ever get past the whole sexuality issue, what next will it be? Just like how Stephen Harper (Canada's prime minister) wanted to forbid abortion and gay marriage while it's been fine for years. It seems that lots of our political leaders are still stuck in the past, trying to reform the world to one that they once knew.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like how you read like 2 pages of this thread and started acting like you knew exactly what was going on.

I'm not even doing this because you acted like a ******* back in my music rant thread, you just seem to post like you're some hot **** all the time.
This is contradictory, BUT

I am hot ****.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never seen romantic black people, or romantic mexicans, or violent asians. At least, not irl. Thus, by Allen Vision's logic, they do not exist.
I've never seen anybody from SWF. Therefore, I conclude that none of you exist.

I have gay friends and I'm perfectly fine with them. I'm quite grossed out by seeing them make out with their boyfriends though, does that make me a homophobic dude? I don't mind seeing them walk around, grab an ***, overall cuddle together but making out is something I'd rather not see.
Bet you wouldn't say that to lesbians.

You're soon getting in hot water Nino, aren't you?
I'm already in hot water. It's gonna reach boiling point in another few years. I predict fun times ahead. (Because, clearly, my life needs more fail.)

I like how you read like 2 pages of this thread and started acting like you knew exactly what was going on.
Not sure this thread is worth it beyond the first few pages anyway. We got sidetracked way back. Though, it's fun to see how many homos frequent the UB.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not sure this thread is worth it beyond the first few pages anyway. Though, it's fun to see how many homos frequent the UB.
Hah, I guess that's true.

Teran brings all the homos to the yard.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman

This is contradictory, BUT

I am hot ****.
I lol'd, good ****.

Bet you wouldn't say that to lesbians.
Of course not, I personally think that it's freaking hot :awesome: but that doesn't change the fact that I don't intimidate / bash / forbid male homosexuals to do their thing. But your point reminds me of my brother who constantly bashes homosexual acts and says he's open to it. He even goes as far as to say: 'I'm fine with homos, 'cept that they better not touch me or I'll kick their ***!", which is pretty ****ing stupid because I doubt a gay man would like to date him, EVER.

I'm already in hot water. It's gonna reach boiling point in another few years. I predict fun times ahead. (Because, clearly, my life needs more fail.)
I'll be patiently waiting on LJ & AIM for us to have these discussion, I can see you talking much more during the first few months of it getting worse. That would be fun fun fun.

Not sure this thread is worth it beyond the first few pages anyway. We got sidetracked way back. Though, it's fun to see how many homos frequent the UB.
This, Spelt, I usually don't read when things start derailing. And Nino's a happy panda it seems.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
What annoys me about homophobia is that they don't really offer any viable alternatives such as, you know, an actual cure for homosexuality (none of that 'pray the gay away' rubbish) e.g. a drug you could take every day to curb those desires.

I'd pay good money for that sort of thing.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Because it's not possible and/or is incredibly unethical.

:phone:
It'd only be unethical if you forced someone to take it. And yeah, it probably won't happen, but other advances that seemed similarly impossible in the past have happened.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This, Spelt, I usually don't read when things start derailing. And Nino's a happy panda it seems.
Except you missed the post literally 6 (SIX) posts below the one you replied to where mountain_tiger stated where he's gay.

You'd think that would kind of be relevant for your post.

§witch

Smash Lord
What annoys me about homophobia is that they don't really offer any viable alternatives such as, you know, an actual cure for homosexuality (none of that 'pray the gay away' rubbish) e.g. a drug you could take every day to curb those desires.

You'll learn to accept your sexuality soon, don't worry.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Man you really hate being you don't you.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Every gay guy goes through that phase. You only hate yourself because other people say you should, or because the straight life seems easier so you hate having it so hard.

Eventually you learn that it's not really as bad as it seems. And as long as you don't live somewhere with the social mobility of a 3rd world country you'll see that society doesn't really care either.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If male x male or female x female was naturally intended (sexually speaking), why are we sort of ''forcing'' our way to make it work? It doesn't really work as great as male & female.
I'm assuming you're talking about anatomy, in which case..
Of course it doesn't work as well as male x female. It's called evolution.

Also, don't use words like "intended" unless you're trying to put forth some creationist views or something. In which case, keep that out of this thread.

On topic, am I the only one that is absolutely astounded by the fact that gay people suffer because a lot of people are ****ing stupid?
I mean just think about that for a second. People being stupid and ignorant <-- this is ruining the lives of millions of people that just have a different taste in relationships.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
I lol'd, good ****.

Of course not, I personally think that it's freaking hot :awesome: but that doesn't change the fact that I don't intimidate / bash / forbid male homosexuals to do their thing. But your point reminds me of my brother who constantly bashes homosexual acts and says he's open to it. He even goes as far as to say: 'I'm fine with homos, 'cept that they better not touch me or I'll kick their ***!", which is pretty ****ing stupid because I doubt a gay man would like to date him, EVER.

I'll be patiently waiting on LJ & AIM for us to have these discussion, I can see you talking much more during the first few months of it getting worse. That would be fun fun fun.

I quoted your posts because this exactly how I feel about the gay topic.

People say "YOU'D LOVE TO SEE LESBIANS HUH???" and I'm like "yeah, I have a gender too, and basic math says 1+1=2>1"

JoFTWin

Smash Apprentice
Where the wild things are, by way of Georgia.
Let me speak from my experience. Being Nigerian-American, I can tell you that homophobia does not only exist in blacks of America. In West Africa, it's highly looked down upon in a far more extreme way than it's looked down upon in America. I'll just leave it at that. Though in West Africa, the reasoning is more so fueled by religion than insecurity like it is over here. And like someone said earlier in the thread, there are plenty of white people that are just as homophobic, just find a conservative white Southern church and take it from there. White people as a whole are definitely less homophobic, but they do exist. I could go on and on about different cultures that are homophobic..point being, it's not exclusive to black people.

But I will say this, homophobia and hypermasculinity causes just as much of a problem among straight black males as it does for gay black males. There are simple things we can't say or do or listen to without being called "gay" by the majority of other black people, male or female. And when I say simple things, you'd be surprised what can trigger the average black person to think you're gay sometimes. Let alone the fact that being gay even affects how they respect you as a person in the first place. I mainly blame the lack of education amongst alot of blacks (self-education or otherwise) and mainstream hip-hop, for perpetuating the macho, homophobic, hypermasculine ideology down the throats of not just black youth, but knuckleheaded douchebags of all races in general.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
We know homophobia isn't exclusive to black people. Otherwise, this thread would be called "Homophobia".
And I disagree with the hip-hop thing. I'm not saying it doesn't perpetuate "the macho, homophobic, hypermasculine ideology", because it does. I just feel that they aren't forcing it "down the throats" of the listeners. The listeners are also to blame for being stupid enough to take their morals from this stupid music. You see it goes like this.

Stupid people make stupid music with stupid and corrupt values and messages and whatnot --> stupid people (logically) like to listen to stupid music --> stupid people have corrupt values because of stupid people.

Stupid people are to blame.

JoFTWin

Smash Apprentice
Oh I wasn't saying you guys said that. I was just kind of making it a point. I haven't even read the whole thread. And you're right, they aren't forcing it down our throats. But by the same token I wouldn't go as far as calling people stupid for what they've been taught to believe. And I definitely wouldn't say stupid people make stupid music haha. In fact, I'd say smart, guiltless people make stupid music haha, I can explain that further if you need me to, but I'm pretty sure you get what I'm trying to say..

As far as blacks go, majority of them embrace that music and those ideals because that's all they've seen, meaning as children they grew into it, for lack of a better way to put it, they didn't have a choice as they were growing up. Same with their parents...and same with their parents and yeah.

Not saying to blame their environment completely because once they are adults, they are held accountable for how they carry themselves, but circumstances make it harder for some people more than others, I wouldn't call them stupid though. Just different circumstances/environments.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Look at the history of minorities clashing in America. African and Irish, Chinese and Japanese... It really is a long history.

But shoot, your brother sounds extremely ignorant and close-minded. There's nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable around gays or any group that seems foreign to you; it's how you handle it and treat them. Your brother sounds like a wanna be super macho testosterone-driven kinda guy. Nothing wrong with that, but being a "man" isn't about women, cars, money, and being a stupid TV person. Men should be intelligent above this stupid idea of bullcrap strong.

And is it really that hard for people to treat gays like... I dunno regular people or if they weren't gay=??? I always treated anyone who was gay that way. Also, I have to disagree with the OP and say stopping violence (when I was in high school, a lesbian girl at the cross town high was jumped by 5 gay hating guys; what a bunch of p*ss**s. I detest violence, but what I wouldn't give to have soneone beat in a lesson into them) and discrimination against gays > laws. You don't have to like 'em; worst case scenario, just ignore them, or ignore the fact that they're gay. Seriously.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Just to be clear, my intention with this post is not to label or insult anyone. But I do feel that mountain_tiger has been slightly attacked by others in this thread due to his sexual preference. Please finish reading the post before you jump to the wrong conclusion. Someone even suggested that mountain_tiger will never find someone who would have an intimate relationship with him... and that is a very hurtful statement to hear.

While it is rare, and I'm not saying mountain_tiger necessarily is one, I am just trying to open him to the possibility, that he is an asexual:

An asexual is someone who does not experience sexual attraction. Unlike celibacy, which people choose, asexuality is an intrinsic part of who we are. Asexuality does not make our lives any worse or any better, we just face a different set of challenges than most sexual people. There is considerable diversity among the asexual community; each asexual person experiences things like relationships, attraction, and arousal somewhat differently. Asexuality is just beginning to be the subject of scientific research.

Relationships
Asexual people have the same emotional needs as anyone else, and like in the sexual community we vary widely in how we fulfill those needs. Some asexual people are happier on their own, others are happiest with a group of close friends. Other asexual people have a desire to form more intimate romantic relationships, and will date and seek long-term partnerships. Asexual people are just as likely to date sexual people as we are to date each other.

Sexual or nonsexual, all relationships are made up of the same basic stuff. Communication, closeness, fun, humor, excitement and trust all happen just as much in sexual relationships as in nonsexual ones. Unlike sexual people, asexual people are given few expectations about the way that our intimate relationships will work. Figuring out how to flirt, to be intimate, or to be monogamous in a nonsexual relationships can be challenging, but free of sexual expectations we can form relationships in ways that are grounded in our individual needs and desires.

Attraction
Many asexual people experience attraction, but we feel no need to act out that attraction sexually. Instead we feel a desire to get to know someone, to get close to them in whatever way works best for us. Asexual people who experience attraction will often be attracted to a particular gender, and will [highlight]identify as lesbian, gay, bi, or straight.[/highlight]
Also, should someone who is asexual feel the need to know others like him, this website is a community of like-minded individuals:

http://www.asexuality.org/home/

-blazed

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
While it is rare, and I'm not saying mountain_tiger necessarily is one, I am just trying to open him to the possibility, that he is an asexual
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I read what he had said. I just didn't want to out right say that. It's just something that is really uncommon, so I figured chances are he wasn't.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I read what he had said. I just didn't want to out right say that. It's just something that is really uncommon, so I figured chances are he wasn't.
Yes, you're correct, and it's easy to construct the argument that it's more likely a result of repressed homosexuality, which is possibly the case...

At the same time none of us really know the guy very well, so I don't think that argument could hold. And it's really up to him to find out who he really is...

-blazed

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I know it does, but if OP's brother is hard-headed enough to act the way he does, do you honestly think he would Google it?

:059:
But then why would he ask in the first place if he wont even look up the source when told to?

EDIT:

Oops, wrong page by accident :/

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Except you missed the post literally 6 (SIX) posts below the one you replied to where mountain_tiger stated where he's gay.

You'd think that would kind of be relevant for your post.
Yes, you are right. But in general, posts past the first two pages aren't worth reading.

Also, Mila Kunis is pretty. But you guys might wanna see what she truly looks like, without the great lightning and blurriness of photos. She looks kinda old, which kinda disappointed me when I found out:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I'm beginning to question my definition of the word gay (sexually attracted to those of the same gender) because of mountain_tiger. He says he's gay but doesn't want to have sex with those of the same gender

What is homosexuality then?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm beginning to question my definition of the word gay (sexually attracted to those of the same gender) because of mountain_tiger. He says he's gay but doesn't want to have sex with those of the same gender

Mountain_tiger says he's attracted to men but doesn't want to actually have sex with them.

Also Ryu she still looks good there. Look at that hair, yo.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's funny what Ryu thinks is old. But that's what he gets for hanging around Asian girls.

Are you bothered by the fact that you have a libido, or are you bothered by the homosexual aspect of your libido? Do you want to "curb" all sexual desire, or would you consider converting to heterosexuality if it were a viable option?

Being Nigerian-American, I can tell you that homophobia does not only exist in blacks of America. In West Africa, it's highly looked down upon in a far more extreme way than it's looked down upon in America. I'll just leave it at that. Though in West Africa, the reasoning is more so fueled by religion than insecurity like it is over here.
Are there any other cultural reasons for it, or do you think religion is the main reason?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah Mila Kunis looks fine in that picture.

Also she plays WoW.

JoFTWin

Smash Apprentice
Are there any other cultural reasons for it, or do you think religion is the main reason?
Religion is definitely the main reason as far as the Christian sectors go. But I do know that family structure would have to be the other reason. The family unit is taken really seriously in Nigeria and West Africa as a whole. Husband, wife, child (preferably at least one male one). Anything outside of that is considered corrupt or blasphemous in some form. It's a hyper-conservative society.

Basically it's all of America's reasons taken to the extreme, except for the masculinity factor. The definition of masculinity isn't strict in Nigeria.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Just to be clear, my intention with this post is not to label or insult anyone. But I do feel that mountain_tiger has been slightly attacked by others in this thread due to his sexual preference.
No, it was because I didn't phrase my initial opinions very well, and thus people assumed that I resented men who chose to have sex with each other.

Someone even suggested that mountain_tiger will never find someone who would have an intimate relationship with him... and that is a very hurtful statement to hear.
As far as I'm concerned, if/when I ever have a relationship, he could have sex with a different guy every day of the week if he wanted to - as long as someone's prepared to have an emotional connection with you, and they're prepared to trust you and be with you, I think that's good enough.

Oh, I'm extremely sexually attracted to many people of the same gender. I just ignore those impulses and get on with life.

Are you bothered by the fact that you have a libido, or are you bothered by the homosexual aspect of your libido? Do you want to "curb" all sexual desire, or would you consider converting to heterosexuality if it were a viable option
In an ideal world, I'd want to be 'converted' to heterosexuality. Since that's unlikely to be a possibility in my lifetime, I'd settle for being asexual or, at the very least, bisexual and then focussing on the 'female attraction' part of it...

Top Bottom