• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Home Run Contest Discussion/Speculation

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
Hi ! (it may actually be my first thread, feel free to tell me if a HRC thread already exists)

I've always been a fan, since Melee, of the Home Run mode. In fact, it's my favorite solo mode , and every time a new Smash releases I get super excited by how I will try to make good scores with every fighter.

- In Melee, the physics made the HomeRun very difficult and punitive, the only viable solution was Bat Drop and a meteor smash attack to let the SandBad stay in the stage, so very limited in option but very fast, impressive, and satisfying. It was just a little bit frustrating to try hard.
- In Brawl, the barrier and floaty physics let more room for varied attacks, we could even throw the bat right in the SandBag face and bounced back even at 0%, so it was involving way more freedom than Melee and forced the player to do meteor smash attack or jabs (to cancel the Bat Drop momentum) only at higher pourcentages or when the barrier was broken.
We could even do Double Bat Drop with a Jab for the characters who don't have a meteor attack, the best players could do Triple Bat Drop (I never managed to achieve that)
- In Smash 4, I was a little bit disapointed, but the physic changed A LOT regarding the items throwing knock back/damages, the bat was nerfed, it actually changed the whole HomeRun strategy compared to Brawl. A Bat Drop caused less than 10% damage and did almost no knock back under around 60-70% (by memory), so instead we only had to Down Throw the bat over and over again very quickly until the Sand bag had enough damage to actually do something more creative with the characters move sets (like we could do in Brawl from the start ), so I had the feeling to loose 5 seconds of strat by just doing that spammy Bat Throw for every characters. (There are new advanced Throw techniques but I just don't understand them like I did back in Brawl, they feel less accessible than the Double Bat Drop)

The point is, do you think the physics of Smash Ultimate will change the way we play Home Run as much as it did in the past ? Or stay the same as Smash 4 ? Do you think the mode will improve ? Have new settings ? Do you think the mode will even return ?
(Do people actually care about it as much as I do ? lol)

I could see the physics of the mode feel different because of the new balloon effect the game has, but it really depends on the Sandbag itself, will it have a Character physics for knockbak (like melee) or will it be a specific item with his own physics ?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I guess that they could probably tweak it a little bit and and some new features to it, but that’s all I can think of.

Top Bottom