• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hello R.O.B. mains. I saw that the match up thread's opening post was not updated since Oct 2015, so I wanted to ask here. What are R.O.B.'s worst match ups as of 1.1.6. in your opinions?
I'd say anyone who can get in easily, has good combos, and gives R.O.B. a hard time landing.
I'm not an expert or anything but I'd still say :4pikachu: is a pretty bad matchup

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd say anyone who can get in easily, has good combos, and gives R.O.B. a hard time landing.
I'm not an expert or anything but I'd still say :4pikachu: is a pretty bad matchup
Agreed.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Hello R.O.B. mains. I saw that the match up thread's opening post was not updated since Oct 2015, so I wanted to ask here. What are R.O.B.'s worst match ups as of 1.1.6. in your opinions?
Cloud and ZSS are the worst ones in my opinion. ZSS is probably the only MU of R.O.B's that is close to unwinnable, although it isn't.

Villager also sucks to play against, but it's not a bad MU. I'd say it's even. But Villager can bully R.O.B so bad, it's frustrating to play against.

1FC0

Smash Lord
rip, R.O.B. has the shortest standing grab range in the whole game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOXQJKrx_wQ
That sucks but is not even that surprising since I knew R.O.B.'s grab range was crappy. t happened pretty often to me that i try to grab someone and miss and then without either of us moving the opponent tries to grab and hits proving R.O.B.'s grab range to be inferior. I think that it never happened in reverse. If the opponent whiffs then so does R.O.B. in all cases I can remember.

Well at least R.O.B. has pretty neat throws. I have not tested it but I think that he might have the third strongest upthrow in the game after Charizard and Mewtwo.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lucas also has a great up throw in my experience, though I'm not sure how good. I think it's better than R.O.B.'s though, but I can't confirm.

Gyov4nn

Smash Apprentice
Someone here should get snippets of OCEAN playing on Ranai's stream, record it and post them in a video section somewhere

Or maybe I should do it...

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Does anyone still visit here at all? If there's an audience but just a lack of content, I'd be wiling to dish out some content. But if this place is completely abandoned I'll just do it elsewhere.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm still watching this place. Far more quiet than the likes of the Robin or Mewtwo socials. Roy, Ganon and Kirby ones aren't exactly booming with activity either. I'm guessing if there's a R.O.B. Skype group or Discord, there's probably more people there. Either that or R.O.B. just doesn't attract a large amount of people.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ever since Discord there's been a lot less activity in every one of the threads I watch. It sucks. :(

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yeah, I've got Discord but I don't bother to use it. I'm not talkative enough to just hop in conversations that are going on and I'm not going to start any myself. For character info, I prefer Smashboards since the post will always be there without having to scroll a long way. Before Discord, I used to be part of the MK Skype group and I wasn't very active there either.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'll probably put my stuff here as well, but cross post it to other areas. Maybe that will actually help increase traffic or something. Because I think the audience is there, we just don't have much to discuss since we're so few and far between. I think if we just get some kind of catalyst of discussion, people will come.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'll probably put my stuff here as well, but cross post it to other areas. Maybe that will actually help increase traffic or something. Because I think the audience is there, we just don't have much to discuss since we're so few and far between. I think if we just get some kind of catalyst of discussion, people will come.
The thing is that the community guide was supposed to do that, so something will have to work even better than that.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I think the community guide was:
1. Too long
2. Unfinished

That is a bad combination. However, that doesn't mean it was a waste of time. I'll probably start working on finishing it at a later time, as it's inherit potential is still there.

But regarding what I plan to do for the future -

I want to make R.O.B accessible. R.O.B, considering his level of technical skill, has almost no tutorials explaining how to take advantage of him to his full potential. This is, what I believe, a simple issue that can be fixed. I'll be doing my best to amend this.

I plan on making short, informative R.O.B-based tutorial videos, regarding everything from straight mechanics to match ups. Even if they don't help this forum get more traffic, maybe we'll get another R.O.B player or two. That's alright with me.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I would imagine R.O.B. has it pretty hard when it comes to attracting a large amount of people. He lacks anything super meme-like like Captain Falcon, he's not a top tier so people aren't going to flock to the character for easy wins (not saying he's bad) and I doubt very many people come here to love the character for what he is outside of Smash. Gyromite, Stack-Up and Mario Kart DS.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I would imagine R.O.B. has it pretty hard when it comes to attracting a large amount of people. He lacks anything super meme-like like Captain Falcon, he's not a top tier so people aren't going to flock to the character for easy wins (not saying he's bad) and I doubt very many people come here to love the character for what he is outside of Smash. Gyromite, Stack-Up and Mario Kart DS.
R.O.B does have one thing going for him though - Match up unfamiliarity. I've gotten my fair share of wins from people who just didn't understand the gyro (not exclusively because of that, but some games become ezpz). Definitely not to the extent where he carries you, however.

I think if the public could just see what his potential is - like what Kamemushi did for MegaMan at EVO - then people would be more interested. R.O.B isn't exactly a gfycat star.

CoreyTheRobot

Smash Rookie
ROBsquad skype was where the real hype was
until discord happened
now it's become nothing but a wasteland full of dead memes

Pixel_

Smash Ace
So, something Olimar mains do is throw a pikmin to make the opponent stuck in hitlag, allowing them to punish the opponent for moves that normally aren't very punishable. R.O.B. can do something similar with his gyro by either throwing it into the opponent's attack or by waiting for them for them to hit the gyro on the ground. Still, gyros are already good by themselves; do you guys think this would be helpful at all?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
So, something Olimar mains do is throw a pikmin to make the opponent stuck in hitlag, allowing them to punish the opponent for moves that normally aren't very punishable. R.O.B. can do something similar with his gyro by either throwing it into the opponent's attack or by waiting for them for them to hit the gyro on the ground. Still, gyros are already good by themselves; do you guys think this would be helpful at all?
I've actually seen people use it against me, using the gyro to extend the hitbox of the move and to get me to walk into it.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Frametrapping is a pretty common trick for Gyro and part of what makes it so good for neutral. It's not as useful if they're trapped in an attack animation frame, but if the attack in question has long end lag it can still be useful to set up.

Gyov4nn

Smash Apprentice
I would still probably use this site if I had a functioning PC and not have to use my dingy phone to navigate the site. I still see room for good discussion based on the last few recent posts on the ROB boards here.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, all is good. But it could be more active. :(

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Shame, There are just sadly not as many R.O.B. fans as other characters. And most discussion seems to be his competitive side rather than the character.

I wonder if he'll be in Mario Kart 8 or cameo in any other switch games?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Shame, There are just sadly not as many R.O.B. fans as other characters. And most discussion seems to be his competitive side rather than the character.

I wonder if he'll be in Mario Kart 8 or cameo in any other switch games?
I really wish he made a return to Mario Kart. Mario Kart DS was actually R.O.B's first game he was playable in.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I discovered a cool little thing we can do with IGC. If you b turn around the gyro charge input you can do reverse dtilts (Dtilt and jabs would be the only ones that have any effect, but dtilt is probably the only practical one). I'm pretty sure this is the only way to do reverse dtilts from run in the game, with any character. It's actually not that hard at all, as long as you have regular IGC down. Even if you mess it up you get a pivot grab, so ayyy.

So you run (you could do it while standing to practice) a direction then do a bturnaround IGC with a move of your choice. Really jab and dtilt are the only good moves for this, dtilt being the better of the two. For this example, R.O.B will be running to the left and turning to the right to dtilt.

:GCL: > :GCDR: + (DOWN):GCB: > :GCCD: > :GCRT:
-------------------------------------------------------------^These 2 almost at the same time, The faster you input the dtilt and cancel the charge animation, the better it is.

Edit: Video example

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Any R.O.Bs attending summer nationals? My scene is thinking of invading either EVO or CEO, but most likely CEO.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
Any R.O.Bs attending summer nationals? My scene is thinking of invading either EVO or CEO, but most likely CEO.
get ur base to smashcon again so we can have the ROB meetup we were supposed to have 2 years ago
I will order everyone a pizza or something

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
get ur base to smashcon again so we can have the ROB meetup we were supposed to have 2 years ago
I will order everyone a pizza or something
The R.O.B meet up at smash con is one of my favorite memories of the event tbh. I might go next year.

1FC0

Smash Lord
R.O.B. in Mario Kart DS is cool but I think his ROB-LGS cart is somewhat lame. ROB-BLS is pretty cool looking though, it is based on Stack-Up. I think they were both bad snaking cars though so I almost always just picked R.O.B. in the Dry Bomber.

Top Bottom