• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holy Water lab findings

Axioms

Smash Rookie
Title, I've been doing some labbing on a number of things so here's what I've found.
I tested everything in training mode/training stage on the default training mode settings, aside from pressing ZL to advance 1 frame and CPU Behavior: Control.
I've defined frame numbers as the folllowing: Frame-0 is the frame on which the imput is made, as imputs register when a button is held when a frame progresses onto the next one
(i.e. pressing the shield button on frame-0 will initiate a shield imput on frame-1).
Testing was done on Ver. 2.0.1, and then re-tested on Ver. 3.0.0

HW travels at a different angle when initiated in the air, but lands on the same spot when shorthopping; it lands 0.8 blocks further when fullhopping.
When standing on the ground, HW hitbox comes out at f-18, stops on f-31, flames on f-32
When shorthopping, HW hitbox comes out at f-21, stops on f-40, flames on f-41
When fullhopping, HW hitbox comes out at f-21, stops on f-46, flames on f-47

HW cannot be grabbed by initiating attack on f-17 to f-18, only on f-18 to f-19 (you can't initiate the item grab animation without an item, if you attack on the same frame as the item comes out, you'll do a jab/tilt etc.)
HW can be thrown on f-2 to f-3 after air-grabbing
HW cannot be grabbed on frame 6 after using an aerial (couldn't get it to work)
HW cannot be grabbed on frame 7 after using an air dodge (couldn't get it to work)
Simon/Richter grabs item on f-2 of standing item-grab animation
Simon/Richter's standing item-grab animation faf is on f-8

HW faf is always f-46, regardless of HW being thrown (like when one is active already), or when initiated while airborne
HW can be initiated on f-57 to f-58 after flames of previous down-b (i.e. f-1 of flames being f-32 when standing on ground)
HW disappuffs on f-92(i.e. the frame on which HW disappears when not making contact with hurtbox/stage/etc.), regardless of shield-bounce
HW cannot be initiated on f-92 to f-93
HW can be initiated on f-93 to f-94

HW does 7 frames of shield-freeze
HW can be parry-bounced
HW is not affected by parry-freeze
HW loses hit-box after shield/parry/attack-bouncing, but can still go in flames
HW flames become a Nobody's Hitbox (a hitbox that does damage to everyone including its creator) when shield/parry/attack-bouncing
Tall characters can shield after getting hit by HW, if they get hit from above while Simon/Richter is standing on a platform
HW spins clockwise when moving to the right, counter-clockwise when moving to the left
HW's water does not actually move inside the flask

flames come out on f-55* after shield-bounce, away from initiator
flames come out on f-54* after shield-bounce, towards initiator
flames come out on f-54* after attack-bounce, away from initiator
flames come out on f-53* after attack-bounce, far away from initiator

HW has a certain amount of health (i.e. the amount of damage it can take when colliding with an attack without bursting into flames), and I've tried to figure out how much it is, but I've been unsuccesful in discovering what it is.

Wolf's up-tilt does 5.6% when completely staled and breaks HW when hitting it

Wolf's late SHnair does 5.5% when staled 4 times and does not break HW when hitting it (when I re-tested in 3.0.0, it did sometimes break the HW but I don't know why: I tested this on the battlefield part of training stage, with Richter's tip-of-his-left-foot on the red 20 line facing left on the right platform, and with Wolf's tip-of-his-left-heel on the grey 26 line facing right on the main stage; Wolf's short-hop nair's input is on f-25 to f-26 of HW), but strangely there is no clash-box indicator

Wolf's initial hit of up-smash does 5.3% when staled 3 times and breaks HW when hitting it

Cloud's Finishing touch does 1.2% and does not break HW when hitting it

I can only conclude that HW's durability is determined by both knockback and damage, however I can't picture what the requirement would be.
It's also possible that different effects (cutting/fire/electric/aura/etc.) also play into this.

*So there's actually some weird stuff going on with the HW bounce that I'm gonna try to explain, keep in mind that this from observation only, not from the actual code of the game.

When HW bounces off an attack/shield/parry, the horizontal speed that it travels at seems to be completely random.
This means that, depending on how fast it goes, the Simon/Richter that created it may or may not get hit by the flames when it lands.
It also means that the character whose attack/shield the HW bounced off may or may not get hit by the flames when it lands.
The actual direction that HW bounces towards seems to depend on which side it was hit on. (e.g. if it gets hit on rightside it bounces left, if it get hit on leftside, it bounces right)
However which side it gets hit on seems to be random as well, which I've tested in the following way:

P1 Richter, CPU Cloud, training mode, training stage, ZL to advance 1 frame, CPU Behavior; Control.

Inputs: f-0 to f-1; P1 down+special, f-19 to f-20; CPU attack.

There are 2 different outcomes of these inputs:

1: HW will enter hitfreeze below the clashbox, will then move right, left, L,R,L,L,R,L,L,R, is now on the right of the clashbox, spins clockwise, moves toward Cloud

2: HW will enter hitfreeze right of the clashbox, will then move L,R,R,L,R,R,L,R,R,L, is now in the middle of the clashbox, spins counter-clockwise, moves toward Richter

I have no idea why this happens, that's a question for the dataminers.

Edit: Here's some extra misc. stuff:

The item grab range is larger than shield
Items cannot be grabbed with the grab button while standing
Reverse-nspecial can be initiated by pressing the opposite direction on f-3 to f-4, Richter/Simon will turn around on f-4 to f-5
Nspecial can be angled by pressing forwards/backwards on f-29 to f-30
Side-b faf is f-45, regardless of smash input
Cross-catching animation faf is f-10, regardless of smash input
Cross does f-10 of shieldstun, regardless of smash input
Side-b can be re-initiated on f-179 to f-180 if not caught
Smash-side-b can be re-initiated on f-184 to f-185 if not caught

Last edited:
Top Bottom