• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hollow Knight's Hornet Strikes Hard! Support for a new Indie rep!

Should Hornet be added to Smash Bros.?

• Total voters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm easing my way back into Hollow Knight - I beat Hornet after three attempts and got the dash ability, which is definitely going to come in handy. (my big problems with the game's difficulty so far have been a lack of mobility and attack options)

For whatever reason, I'm having a ton of trouble with Moss Knights - I thought they were a miniboss, but it turns out that they're just random enemies scattered throughout the Greenpath area. The basic attack (which is the only thing that I can consistently use - I have a short-range energy ball, but I can never remember how to use it) barely seems to chip away at their health, and I can't figure out how far away I'm supposed to be from them. Either they're just close enough that they hit me, far enough away that I can't get to them in time to counter attack, or I'm at a distance where I avoid their attack and dash towards them but run into them and take damage instead.

I'm not sure if I'm missing health upgrades (I have five health so far) or notches for power-ups (I have three), and I can't remember what money is used for in this game. (I have roughly 800, but I don't know where to spend it or what to spend it on)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm easing my way back into Hollow Knight - I beat Hornet after three attempts and got the dash ability, which is definitely going to come in handy. (my big problems with the game's difficulty so far have been a lack of mobility and attack options)

For whatever reason, I'm having a ton of trouble with Moss Knights - I thought they were a miniboss, but it turns out that they're just random enemies scattered throughout the Greenpath area. The basic attack (which is the only thing that I can consistently use - I have a short-range energy ball, but I can never remember how to use it) barely seems to chip away at their health, and I can't figure out how far away I'm supposed to be from them. Either they're just close enough that they hit me, far enough away that I can't get to them in time to counter attack, or I'm at a distance where I avoid their attack and dash towards them but run into them and take damage instead.

I'm not sure if I'm missing health upgrades (I have five health so far) or notches for power-ups (I have three), and I can't remember what money is used for in this game. (I have roughly 800, but I don't know where to spend it or what to spend it on)
yeah the game gets a lot more fun once you have the dash movement option, and you’ll get more movement options as the game progresses.

For money you can spend it on buying maps when you find Cornifer the map maker. In the lower right corner of Forgotten Crossroads there’s a character you can save by the name of Sly, he opens up a shop If you save him.

to use the projectile attack, tap the charge soul button instead of holding it down. Just know you can’t use it if you have no soul in the soul meter.

For Moss Knights, they can be pretty tough until you upgrade your nail since it takes around 10 hits to kill them. Perhaps try jumping then dashing over the moss knight and attack downward once you’re above them. Also when they jump backwards don’t follow since they’re Trying to bait you into getting hit since they attack after jumping back.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For Moss Knights, they can be pretty tough until you upgrade your nail since it takes around 10 hits to kill them. Perhaps try jumping then dashing over the moss knight and attack downward once you’re above them. Also when they jump backwards don’t follow since they’re Trying to bait you into getting hit since they attack after jumping back.
Thanks for the advice! How do I upgrade my nail? Does it happen over the course of the story, or do I need to buy upgrades? (I'm trying to avoid Googling unless I absolutely have to, so I can avoid being spoiled on anything and so I can experience the game knowing as little as possible)

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Thanks for the advice! How do I upgrade my nail? Does it happen over the course of the story, or do I need to buy upgrades? (I'm trying to avoid Googling unless I absolutely have to, so I can avoid being spoiled on anything and so I can experience the game knowing as little as possible)
You have to get to City of Tears and talk to the nailsmith. You'll need Geos and later, Pale Ores. The way may be hard, but trust me, you'll love that place.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You have to get to City of Tears and talk to the nailsmith. You'll need Geos and later, Pale Ores. The way may be hard, but trust me, you'll love that place.
I don't know what Pale Ores are, but at least I'll know when I'm close.

Last edited:

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Pale Ore is an item you can find at certain parts of the map. they look like any other overworld items so you won't know if it's Pale Ore until you pick it up. Just keep searching!

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I just realized, but when Hornet turns around she gets mirrored, so while the official art shows her wielding the needle with her right hand, when she's facing right she uses the needle with her left hand.
This is also the case for Ryu/Ken/Terry as well.
Do you think they'll keep the turn around same as the game, or make a new backside?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think that if they will make a 3D model for her, they won't put effort in mirroring the model when facing right. For characters who come from fighting games it makes sense, because the character always facing the opponent (by flipping the sprite) is one of the game's core elements. In Hollow Knight it may happen too, but it's not as important. I'm pretty sure that a lot of other games use the same trick to save development time and reuse already existing sprites.

Team Cherry revealed a couple of new Silksong NPCs on Discord recently.

"A towering old predator, awaiting her children to come. Though her attention is fixed on her task, she seems to know much about the waning state of Pharloom, scorning the Citadel above and the hapless pilgrims that make their ascent towards it."

"A common snitchbug, fixated on thievery. Though he has travelled the lengths of Pharloom, he’s seen most of it through the iron bars of cages and cells. Free at last, he’s taking full advantage of the kingdom’s ailing state. This sneaky thief will gladly take rosaries in exchange for snippets of information he has gathered, though his gossip is often of questionable value."

Last edited:

stairface

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2009-5061-8631
Don't have anything of value to add other than that I will cry if a Hollow Knight rep gets in

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
With Min Min being in in, we can say that you don't always have to be the mascot to be playable. That's a good sign for us.

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Sorry for not maintaining and updating this thread, I've been very busy elsewhere.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I've been away for a while, though I recently finished Hollow Knight on my Switch with all the achievements completed (including the speedruns).
The final pantheon... never again.
Holy Crap, That's an accomplishment!

I love Hollow Knight, but I'm not hardcore enough to beat some of the end game content. great Job!

What was the hardest fight for you?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Holy Crap, That's an accomplishment!

I love Hollow Knight, but I'm not hardcore enough to beat some of the end game content. great Job!

What was the hardest fight for you?
Thank you!

The hardest fight is without any doubt Absolute Radiance, I still can't believe that I defeated it after 1 hour of pantheon. There are other hard and/or annoying fights though.

Grey Prince Zote is a pain, he's so RNG, sometimes it's very easy to defeat, other times it can even kill me.

Most of the dream warriors are easy to defeat but they deal a lot of damage because they spam very fast attacks in the whole screen, very hard or sometimes impossible to dodge. Markoth is the most annoying of them, and often it was the reason of why Zote (next boss in the pantheon) killed me, because he consumed most of my health masks. There are some other health-consuming bosses though, such as Oro & Mato (second phase), Oblobble, sometimes The Collector (random like Zote), and some others (the Sisters of Battle also can consume your health if you are careless, but in fact they never killed me in the pantheon).

Soul Master/Tyrant are easy but very boring after a while; also Dung/White Defender (they deal a lot of damage but there's plenty of time to heal it back, it's just annoying and nothing more).

All the bosses who deal 2 masks of damage are annoying because, even if some are easy to defeat, they still require you to do as few errors as possible.

Grimm is surprisingly very easy once you learn the attacks... the nightmare version is a bit harder and faster, but if you stay focused it's easy to defeat with very little damage. The problem is that Nightmare King is the last boss you meet before the final ones, so you often reach him with very little health, and he deals double damage. (though he killed me only once).

Sly can be hard too but like Nightmare Grimm, if you know his attack pattern very well and stay focused, it becomes very easy (you can still get a couple of damages or more but nothing too big).

Pure Vessel (in the 5th pantheon) is kinda easy when you know the attacks, especially in my case because I unlocked all the lifeblood masks and he comes right after a resting area, so I meet him at full health +5. Yeah doing the 4th pantheon with all the handicaps wasn't much easier than defeating Absolute Radiance, especially the no charms handicap (I did them separately... doing all of them at once is too much for me).

There are still challenges that I didn't complete, such as doing the final pantheon with all the handicaps, and defeating all the Radiant difficulty bosses, but I'm not planning to do it, it's too much frustrating... I'm satisfied with the achievement screen being completed.
Now I'm waiting for Silksong...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think Hollow Knight's finally clicked for me - it only took eight hours or so.

As of now, I think I need to head to the Kingdom's Edge, since that's the only place that I can access that I haven't really explored all that much. I read that I should go to Deepnest, but I didn't really find anything there aside from a boss that got me a Pale Ore, so I'm not sure why it's important. (there was a tough area called the Beast's Lair - some enemies in there deal absurd amounts of damage, are rarely ever vulnerable, and are encountered in tunnels so I can't jump over them, but going by the Wiki, there doesn't seem to be any upgrades in there)

My health's up to seven now, and I've upgraded the Nail twice. I was told to find the Grave of Ash (or something like that), though I still have no idea what or where that is. (I could Google it, but I'll only do that if I'm desperate)

EDIT: I also haven't explored much of the Fog Canyon, so I might look through there. I don't even have the map for it.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think Hollow Knight's finally clicked for me - it only took eight hours or so.

As of now, I think I need to head to the Kingdom's Edge, since that's the only place that I can access that I haven't really explored all that much. I read that I should go to Deepnest, but I didn't really find anything there aside from a boss that got me a Pale Ore, so I'm not sure why it's important. (there was a tough area called the Beast's Lair - some enemies in there deal absurd amounts of damage, are rarely ever vulnerable, and are encountered in tunnels so I can't jump over them, but going by the Wiki, there doesn't seem to be any upgrades in there)

My health's up to seven now, and I've upgraded the Nail twice. I was told to find the Grave of Ash (or something like that), though I still have no idea what or where that is. (I could Google it, but I'll only do that if I'm desperate)

EDIT: I also haven't explored much of the Fog Canyon, so I might look through there. I don't even have the map for it.
I'm not sure about the names since I played the Italian version, but I suspect that you are missing something important. I hope you have unlocked the station in Deepnest because you will likely need to return into the Beast's Lair sooner or later... did you explore the crystal caves yet?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure about the names since I played the Italian version, but I suspect that you are missing something important. I hope you have unlocked the station in Deepnest because you will likely need to return into the Beast's Lair sooner or later... did you explore the crystal caves yet?
I explored the Crystal Caves. There are a few areas that I can't get to yet, but I got the dash ability, made it to the top of the caves, and got the Pale Ore from up there.

As it turns out, the area of the Fog Canyon where the map is was blocked off by some kind of shadowy barrier, so I can't explore it yet. I went to the Kingdom's Edge and found the entrance to the Hive, so I'm going through that before exploring the rest of Kingdom's Edge. If I don't get any upgrades from that, I'll go back to the Beast's Lair, though I'll likely need to upgrade my Nail and/or health first.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I explored the Crystal Caves. There are a few areas that I can't get to yet, but I got the dash ability, made it to the top of the caves, and got the Pale Ore from up there.

As it turns out, the area of the Fog Canyon where the map is was blocked off by some kind of shadowy barrier, so I can't explore it yet. I went to the Kingdom's Edge and found the entrance to the Hive, so I'm going through that before exploring the rest of Kingdom's Edge. If I don't get any upgrades from that, I'll go back to the Beast's Lair, though I'll likely need to upgrade my Nail and/or health first.
The Beast's Den is useless if the related quest is not activated.

You said that there was nothing important in the Beast's Lair/Den, so I assume you didn't activate that certain quest... that place is one of those you have to visit for the main story; it's hard to miss because when required it will place a big sign on the map.

In order to activate that quest,
you have to reach a place that can be accessed from the bottom-right side of Crystal Peak.
Well, I think there are a couple of other access points depending on your progresses in the game but I got there from Crystal Peak most of the times.
The area where you can activate the quest is Resting Grounds.

In case you have already activated the quest, then you just missed the body of Herrah the Beast; use the Dream Nail on it to progress.

BTW you can technically defeat those big spiders without getting any damage, but it requires a lot of patience. Don't attack them, stay close to them and wait until they attack you. Before they actually attack, there's a small frame of time when they are vulnerable and won't counter-attack. You can deal an attack in that moment and then run away before they hit you.

I won't comment on the other parts of your post because I don't want to spoil the game, though it seems you are doing it fine so far.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Beast's Den is useless if the related quest is not activated.

You said that there was nothing important in the Beast's Lair/Den, so I assume you didn't activate that certain quest... that place is one of those you have to visit for the main story; it's hard to miss because when required it will place a big sign on the map.

In order to activate that quest,
you have to reach a place that can be accessed from the bottom-right side of Crystal Peak.
Well, I think there are a couple of other access points depending on your progresses in the game but I got there from Crystal Peak most of the times.
The area where you can activate the quest is Resting Grounds.

In case you have already activated the quest, then you just missed the body of Herrah the Beast; use the Dream Nail on it to progress.

BTW you can technically defeat those big spiders without getting any damage, but it requires a lot of patience. Don't attack them, stay close to them and wait until they attack you. Before they actually attack, there's a small frame of time when they are vulnerable and won't counter-attack. You can deal an attack in that moment and then run away before they hit you.

I won't comment on the other parts of your post because I don't want to spoil the game, though it seems you are doing it fine so far.
Clearly, I went there too early; I haven't been to the area that you mentioned or got the weapon that you talked about. I'll try to find that next, though for now, I'm going to explore the Kingdom's Edge and the Hive. Maybe one of those areas will lead me to the area that I have to reach to activate that quest.

EDIT: I took the tram in the upper area, which took me to the place where I activated the quest. The boss in the Hive is too tough for me at the moment, so I'll explore this new area and the Kingdom's Edge.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Clearly, I went there too early; I haven't been to the area that you mentioned or got the weapon that you talked about. I'll try to find that next, though for now, I'm going to explore the Kingdom's Edge and the Hive. Maybe one of those areas will lead me to the area that I have to reach to activate that quest.
may i just say, unrelated to the thread, that is a scary avatar

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
may i just say, unrelated to the thread, that is a scary avatar
Thanks! We're about a month away from Halloween, so I figured I'd go with a Michael Myers mask.

EDIT: I think I'm nearing the end. I got the Shade Cloak, and I've beaten two of the three Dreamers that are sealing the source of the infection. I'm not aiming for 100% at the moment, though I might try it later.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I posted this also in the knight thread and the same I say here applies for hornet as well, even more as she is the main character in the next game.

I have a lot of of hope for the knight from hollow knight and recently he has got a lot of popularity in the smash fandom, although he is not in the same level of other request like reimu or shantae, he is definitiveky among the top 3 most requested indue characters and also outside it many non official pools show the knight in great positions even toping the previous two.
Hollow knight has beeen a massive succes on the switch . Since it's realese on switch in 2018 the game's popularity has increased a lot, and if the speculation is correct and the volume 2 was indeed decided in the beggining of 2019. Then hollow knight could have been in the perfect position to be considerate as an indie rep.
Nintendo has constantly been supporting Hollow Knight and team cherry since 2018, from the hollow knight add at e3 2018, advertising Silksong in the e3 2019 with a playable demo, and also in PAX Australia 2019 later that year.
Around december Nintendo considered team cherry as one of their partners, along with other companies like Sega, Bandai, Namco, Square Enix, in a conference in china when they where talking about their coworking companies and Team cherry was mentioned among them, and pretty much they were the only Indie company mentioned there.
I am not saying that this proves that a Hollow Knight rep is coming, is still highly unlikely since is an indie, and is outside from Japan, although not necesarily western since it comes from australia.
But the fact that Silksong is still brought up as one of their major tittles for the coming next year, this could indicate that there is a very strong relationship between team cherry and Nintendo, and the fact that Sliksong will be a timed console exclusive for the switch just brings up more hints that something with Hollow Knight could happen more than a mii costume.
Since a game that by february 2019 has sold over 2 800 000 copies, to put in perspective the entire Shantae franchise in 18 years has sold over a 3 million units by june of this year, and shovel knight by september of 2019 sold over 2.65 million copies, that has been critically aclaimed both by the press and the fans as one of the best metroidvanias and indies of this decade, is definitvely liekly if Nintendo is considering an indie rep not yet represented in smash, since cuphead and sans are way popular but are alredy mii costumes and do not have that relationship with nintendo as a company.
This conference in china in question is the one I am refering.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1202069386892337153

SirLordCapybara

Smash Rookie
I don't think anyone has posted here in a while, but I wanted to voice my support for Hornet. Getting Hollow Knight in Smash would be awesome, and I think Hornet is a better choice than the Knight for 2 reasons:

1. She has an actual personality and voicelines.
2. She will be the protagonist of Silksong, whenever that comes out, so she would make more sense from a marketing perspective.

Top Bottom