• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hollow Knight's Hornet Strikes Hard! Support for a new Indie rep!

Should Hornet be added to Smash Bros.?

• Total voters

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
For a Hollow Knight character, I'd feel the best fitting series icon would be the Crest of Hallownest AKA the save symbol
View attachment 270195

Also I decided to try my hand at some Hollow Knight spirit ideas and their rankings if Hornet was a character. I haven't thought of what their spirit battle would actually play yet.

The Knight ★★

Void Entity (Enhanced) ★★★

Zote the Mighty ★

Quirrel ★★

Cornifer ★

The Last Stag ★★

Grub ★

The Dreamers ★★★
View attachment 270179
Troupe Master Grimm ★★★

The Hollow Knight ★★★★
Knight can be a Toon Link.
Quirrel would be Marth or Ike.
Also Tiso spirit? Tiso is Link with shield equipped, and after defeating Link Bowser crashes down.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive only just found out that my copy of hollow knight has the grimm troupe dlc in it, maybe i should check it out

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Those are some good spirit ideas. Any thoughts on abilities? I think it'd be good to base them off of how they're portrayed in game.

Also, the re-write of the moveset is still WIP.

Those look awesome!

This is also very awesome! I especially love the idea of the two Neutral Specials.

QQS

Smash Lord
Hornet to Smash! Or The Knight! Don’t know if they can join the battle like that but it would be amazing! Totally support some Hollow Knight representation! I think they have perfect movesets for Smash, they’re amazing characters!

Anyway, my prediction is that The Knight will be a 100% premium Mii costume joining somewhere in June with character #76 (Arms) and character #77 (Geno).

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Hornet to Smash! Or The Knight! Don’t know if they can join the battle like that but it would be amazing! Totally support some Hollow Knight representation! I think they have perfect movesets for Smash, they’re amazing characters!

Anyway, my prediction is that The Knight will be a 100% premium Mii costume joining somewhere in June with character #76 (Arms) and character #77 (Geno).
I think Knight will be a costume. Not sure about Hornet though. I hope she becomes playable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is it possible for this poll to be updated to add "Mii+ costume?"
That is the perfect role for Hollow Knight, in mine, and likely many peoples, eyes.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
This is a thing that I just found out that may work with Hornet's favor.
So the 'iconic character' rule may have been broken by Joker.
Joker is the most recent protagonist, but not the most iconic. Apparently the most iconic protagonist is the 3rd protagonist.(the blue hair boy)
If we get a HK fighter, the reason is probably for promoting Silksong. When they add a character is added for promotional purposes, the protagonist of that game is added. That's the case with Luminary, too. So to promote Silksong, I think they'll add Hornet as the fighter instead of the Knight.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is a thing that I just found out that may work with Hornet's favor.
So the 'iconic character' rule may have been broken by Joker.
Joker is the most recent protagonist, but not the most iconic. Apparently the most iconic protagonist is the 3rd protagonist.(the blue hair boy)
If we get a HK fighter, the reason is probably for promoting Silksong. When they add a character is added for promotional purposes, the protagonist of that game is added. That's the case with Luminary, too. So to promote Silksong, I think they'll add Hornet as the fighter instead of the Knight.
is he? i though persona 5 was the most successful and most popular

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
is he? i though persona 5 was the most successful and most popular
He is, but the most iconic is the third. I just asked the persona reddit, and although Joker is more popular(counting Smash. I don't know how was it back then before Joker came to smash) but they said 3rd is still the most iconic.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He is, but the most iconic is the third. I just asked the persona reddit, and although Joker is more popular(counting Smash. I don't know how was it back then before Joker came to smash) but they said 3rd is still the most iconic.
well you cant use one website as a base for the entire fandom, especially not reddit, iconicness comes from recognisability and the more popular something is the more recognisable it is

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
well you cant use one website as a base for the entire fandom, especially not reddit, iconicness comes from recognisability and the more popular something is the more recognisable it is
Hmm ok. Maybe I should ask people on twitter.
So... is the thing about Joker breaking the iconic first means nothing?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm ok. Maybe I should ask people on twitter.
So... is the thing about Joker breaking the iconic first means nothing?
i cant be sure im an outside observer, but i would think so as being more known to the gaming community makes him more iconic

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
It would make more sense for The Vessel to be the Hollow Knight rep but to tell you the truth... I just like Hornet's character more, so i'll support her inclusion.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
i cant be sure im an outside observer, but i would think so as being more known to the gaming community makes him more iconic
Oh ok.
Hmm. Surely Joker is more well known now, but we don't know how it was back then. I think the fourth one got into lots of crossovers.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Oh ok.
Hmm. Surely Joker is more well known now, but we don't know how it was back then. I think the fourth one got into lots of crossovers.
Yu Narukami? Heck yes he did. Not only did he have his original game? He had not one but three follow up games, and two spin-offs. Let's not mention showing up in Cross-Tag as well as Lord of Vermillion. And while I didn't know this apparently he got into a Star Ocean mobile game as a collab? Either way, I feel like Yu probably is the most well-known of the Persona Protags.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yu Narukami? Heck yes he did. Not only did he have his original game? He had not one but three follow up games, and two spin-offs. Let's not mention showing up in Cross-Tag as well as Lord of Vermillion. And while I didn't know this apparently he got into a Star Ocean mobile game as a collab? Either way, I feel like Yu probably is the most well-known of the Persona Protags.
Aight, thanks. Above I said 3rd protag might be the most iconic. Am I correct or no?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
The 3rd is probably the most iconic because that game was the one to set the mold for future Persona games as far as experimenting with the system we know now, Social Links, building bonds, etc. The one to really start delving into the mechanics. I don't hear much about P1 and P2 for that reason. I'll have to look into it, but there's your answer.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
The 3rd is probably the most iconic because that game was the one to set the mold for future Persona games as far as experimenting with the system we know now, Social Links, building bonds, etc. The one to really start delving into the mechanics. I don't hear much about P1 and P2 for that reason. I'll have to look into it, but there's your answer.
Ok, thanks for the reply.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
No problem, I could be wrong, but if I had to guess why the 3rd game had such an impact that would be it. Alongside the very good story.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is there a reason we haven't heard or seen anything on this new game since over a year ago? Is development going that poorly?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Is there a reason we haven't heard or seen anything on this new game since over a year ago? Is development going that poorly?
I don't know. The virus may be hindering them but then online working is a thing. Maybe they're really hiding something?
Btw King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo , can I share this on reddit?

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I made this moveset a while back, in April. Is this too basic?
I think with the Silk and Tool mechanics it's definitely not too basic. Also I really like that you included gifs for the attacks.

Maybe spend a little more time specifying some of the normal attacks, such as the jab down tilt, up air, and up smash. Another suggestion I might have is to maybe slightly lessen the amount of uses per tool. (The "Shawblade" name is great btw)

Also it would be really cool if Hornet could control which way she throws the needle with the Needle Throw attack in air instead of a set diagonal angle.

Is there a reason we haven't heard or seen anything on this new game since over a year ago?
There was a small update back in december on Team Cherry's website:

"Silksong Development Progress

Right up front: We’re still going, building this (very large) game. Our desire to keep building, and building, and building sure hasn’t diminished, but our timelines have stretched a bit both to account for all that exciting new stuff and to tie up everything else.

As a small progress tease: You may remember for Silksong we promised over 150 all new enemies. To us, that always seemed a conservative estimate, and it turns out we were right! Here are just a few foes that came to life this week, enemy number 163, 164 and 165.

SS_set.png

Though their names shall remain a mystery, we can say they’re members of a scholarly suite, former tenders of a dusty vault full of ancient knowledge. This is a tough later game trio who, when in battle, work closely together, covering for each other’s weaknesses.

And as some assurance: We’re not just randomly building things without an end in site. We know how this story unfolds and as much as we add, our intent is always to evoke the feeling of exploring a vast, surprising new world; one that matches (or exceeds) the scale and diversity of the original game.

We can’t wait to one day talk about all the wild evolutions to this new world that’ve taken place behind the scenes, but that day’ll have to wait until after the game is out and in your hands."

Also 2 songs from the game's soundtrack were released around that time on Christopher Larkin's youtube channel and bandcamp:

From what i can gather from this and other interviews, the game is going to be huge and since they're a relatively small team with pretty high standards of quality, it's understandable that they need more time to complete/polish the game.

Last edited:

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Yeah, indie game development can be plagued with delays and radio silence from smaller devs as they chug away on their games. We can only wait in anticipation.

Also, quick update on the re-write, doing school at home during quarantine has been pretty stressful for me and has left me with few chances to work on it. I thought that maybe we could all contribute parts to the moveset to create a Challenger Pack that we would all like? Just wanted to put the idea out there to see if we want to do it.

If we don't, I've already seen plenty of good ideas from comments on this thread and on other social media that I would be willing to incorporate into my moveset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom