• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hollow Knight's Hornet Strikes Hard! Support for a new Indie rep!

Should Hornet be added to Smash Bros.?

• Total voters
its a nice art style so its to bad if it catches on
I'm guessing you meant 'not too bad'? I totally agree, this kind of art style is nice and i wouldn't mind seeing more games using it.

Some people are already saying that Gleamlight is only a rip-off of Hollow Knight but idk, still too early to say i think. Another way of seeing it would be that Hollow Knight's success is leading up to the creation of a new sub-genre of Metroidvania games ('Hollow Knight-esque' type of games). Of course, sometimes, the line is thin between borrowing elements from another game and plagiarizing. I guess it's open to people's interpretation.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
It is a liitle bit rude to say it is a Rip-off. Better wait and see how it will evolve.

zferolie

Smash Hero
how is it a ripoff? its a metroidvania, like mana other games. the artstyle is different too. Are people going to say the next metroid game is a ripoff of hallow knight too? so dumb

It is a liitle bit rude to say it is a Rip-off. Better wait and see how it will evolve.
how is it a ripoff? its a metroidvania, like mana other games. the artstyle is different too. Are people going to say the next metroid game is a ripoff of hallow knight too? so dumb
Agreed, that's a bit extreme and early to form an opinion, but as you know, people tend to jump to conclusions pretty quickly on the internet... and while different, the artstyle is similar enough to Hollow Knight for people to reach this conclusion. Not that i agree, just making some observations for ****s and giggles.

yes i did, im always doing that, thank you for pointing out
No problem, english is not my 1st language so i got a masterclass in typos :p

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
This is random, but if Knight gets in Smash, do you think they'll end up being smaller Hero with less spells?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is random, but if Knight gets in Smash, do you think they'll end up being smaller Hero with less spells?
I suppose the Soul meter could end up being a bit similar to Hero's MP, but there are many ways to separate them. The Soul meter could simply store 1-3 charges (kinda like the Soul Vessel upgrades), and instead of needing Soul in order to even use special moves they could just enhance the special moves, so something like Vengeful Spirit becomes Shade Soul. In that way Soul would kinda work as a mix of Cloud's Limit and Hero's MP, and we've already seen with Terry that having some overlap between character-defining mechanics isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Do you think Hornet has a chance to join as the 5th or post-pass dlc now?
I mean Reggie said indies are important and Nintendo loves silksong. We should get some representation, right?

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm very confident we will see Hollow Knight content in Smash. I don't believe for FP5, but post pass is much more possible. I would not call the odds high for a playable fighter but still.

On the other side I strongly believe we will see some kind of representation in the form of spirits or Mii costumes.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
An indie rep is very likely at this point, but if is not shovel knight, shantae or undertale, the other big indies are reimu, quote, hollow knight, cuphead and orie.

Two of them are owned by Microsoft, so I would think that they will be more loke a Microsoft rep than indie. Quote and Reimu are a bit more likely, bacause they are made by japanese developers, but after them the knight, or Hornet is the indie rep.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
An indie rep is very likely at this point, but if is not shovel knight, shantae or undertale, the other big indies are reimu, quote, hollow knight, cuphead and orie.

Two of them are owned by Microsoft, so I would think that they will be more loke a Microsoft rep than indie. Quote and Reimu are a bit more likely, bacause they are made by japanese developers, but after them the knight, or Hornet is the indie rep.
well if theyre owned by microsoft then they arent indie characters

Cee_SSB

Smash Rookie
Yeah, the attention from Nintendo that Silksong is receiving is unusual compared to the other platforms, and even the first game.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm not sure how much attention Silksong is receiving from Nintendo now, but if it's a lot than I think there's a chance. Did they push SK or Shantae like Silksong?

Last edited:

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet
I don't remember as much, but those series did get spirits in Smash which Hollow Knight hasn't gotten yet. But with the sequel coming out I think there is a greater possibility of Hornet coming in as an indie rep than most will admit. Imagine a Nintendo direct next year where a new trailer for Silksong is shown, followed by "And it releases today!" as Nintendo likes to do, then followed by "One more thing... Hornet joins Smash!". It would be incredibly hype, but theres a very low chance of happening this way.

There are a few little things that help her chances, most of all being Hollow Knights huge success on Switch happening last year around the time when Sakurai would have been considering what characters could be included as DLC. And with a sequel on the way it's an easy opportunity for promotion.

Less solid "evidence" is that Hornet fits in perfectly with colour theory (Silksong title screen has an orange background) and that picture with Daisy and the DLC characters (Hornet is also a princess wearing a dress, and Daisys V sign could be a nod towards Hornets antennae, if you really want to stretch things). I don't personally believe these point towards anything, but thought others could find it interesting.

I think we're pretty much guaranteed to get some kind of Hollow Knight content to tie in with Silksongs release, but it could end up just being some spirits. But I would love to see Hornet in as a full fighter!

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I don't remember as much, but those series did get spirits in Smash which Hollow Knight hasn't gotten yet. But with the sequel coming out I think there is a greater possibility of Hornet coming in as an indie rep than most will admit. Imagine a Nintendo direct next year where a new trailer for Silksong is shown, followed by "And it releases today!" as Nintendo likes to do, then followed by "One more thing... Hornet joins Smash!". It would be incredibly hype, but theres a very low chance of happening this way.

There are a few little things that help her chances, most of all being Hollow Knights huge success on Switch happening last year around the time when Sakurai would have been considering what characters could be included as DLC. And with a sequel on the way it's an easy opportunity for promotion.

Less solid "evidence" is that Hornet fits in perfectly with colour theory (Silksong title screen has an orange background) and that picture with Daisy and the DLC characters (Hornet is also a princess wearing a dress, and Daisys V sign could be a nod towards Hornets antennae, if you really want to stretch things). I don't personally believe these point towards anything, but thought others could find it interesting.

I think we're pretty much guaranteed to get some kind of Hollow Knight content to tie in with Silksongs release, but it could end up just being some spirits. But I would love to see Hornet in as a full fighter!
"Hornet is a princess wearing a dress"
You took my words right out of my mouth. I was also thinking about that when that happened. I didn't know Silksong had an orange background though.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how much attention Silksong is receiving from Nintendo now, but if it's a lot than I think there's a chance. Did they push SK or Shantae like Silksong?
Shovel Knight got Amiibos. Talking about it I'm surprise we don't have Hollow Knight's Amiibos yet.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight got Amiibos. Talking about it I'm surprise we don't have Hollow Knight's Amiibos yet.
Its odd both hallow knight and shantae never got amiibos, despite both being as good or better sale wise

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Last i checked hollow knight by february sold like 2.8 Million units. While shovel knight in September recently got to the 2.6 Million units.
Maybe they are saving amiibos for the futrue dlc fighter?

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Yup. It too late for December and considering the fact that the last DLC should be out for February I can see an annoucement in January. This will also be a good moment to remind the coming of Tokyo Mirage Session later the same month and give more infos for Animal Crossing and other titles such as the definitve Edition of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
According to the wiki, Vergeben said this. I don't really understand. Can someone explain this to me?
20191224_211954.jpg

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
According to the wiki, Vergeben said this. I don't really understand. Can someone explain this to me?View attachment 254296
those are things hes said that could still prove to be true due to the dlc cycle not being over, theyve been going on about about there being minecraft stuff in the game since day one mind you, the second is a list of characters who they say won't be the 5th member of the fighters pass but that can be confirmed one way or the other until the character is announced

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
those are things hes said that could still prove to be true due to the dlc cycle not being over, theyve been going on about about there being minecraft stuff in the game since day one mind you, the second is a list of characters who they say won't be the 5th member of the fighters pass but that can be confirmed one way or the other until the character is announced
So it means:
1. We are gonna get some kind of Minecraft content.
2. The 5th fighter is a character that haven't been talked about a lot.
Am I right?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So it means:
1. We are gonna get some kind of Minecraft content.
2. The 5th fighter is a character that haven't been talked about a lot.
Am I right?
impossible to say for sure until we get an official announcement but the high success rate so far dose seem a bit more likely but nothing is guaranteed

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
No one's posting here and I have nothing to do, so I went to the internet, made a bunch of gifs and then shoved them in my moveset.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
If there is a direct this month I really expect they show something from silksong

zferolie

Smash Hero
We could get a normal dorect next week. Seems odd but possible. Its more odd they wouldnt show a normal dorect till February when the last one was early September and we know barely anything for this year.

Still last year had a February direct but man this wait is killing me haha. I like we have no idea who it is but hopefully the hype of the character is worth this long silence

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
If we count the decofirm list of leakers. The knight and hornet could still be in.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys I am more than ever confident for an Hollow Knight rep in Smash. I wasn't super confident for the first pass like I said earlier in this thread (bad timing between the switch release of Hollow Knight and the decision for the Fighter Pass). But now OH BOY I AM!

They keep pushing indies for Smash with the addition of a Cuphead Mii costume. Cuphead is popular and it comes with a song just like Sans. I'm surprise that Cuphead got a Mii Costume before Hollow Knight, considering HK came earlier on the Switch and is a major succes.

I'm a 100% sure we will get Hollow Knight content in Ultimate. Of course a Mii costume is possible, but the odds have never been so high for a playable character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can see Hornet easily as a fighter, but Knight as a Mii sword fighter myself.

But with how much Nintendo is pushing Silksong, even mentioning it as a top nintendo game to look for this year... yeah I can see Hornet appearing.

I do wonder though. Hornet getting in may make people think its just a promotional pic like Byleth, but would people be as upset by that for her ?

Top Bottom