• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hollow Knight's Hornet Strikes Hard! Support for a new Indie rep!

Should Hornet be added to Smash Bros.?

• Total voters

zferolie

Smash Hero
interesting stuff. I can see Hallow Knight making it in, but would it be the Knight or Hornet? Knight makes more sense but I see Hornet playing a lot better in smash. Plus she's cool has a voice and is a girl.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
interesting stuff. I can see Hallow Knight making it in, but would it be the Knight or Hornet? Knight makes more sense but I see Hornet playing a lot better in smash. Plus she's cool has a voice and is a girl.
Hornet is interesting. However, her game isn’t out yet.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
There is something I am wondering about. Does Nintendo plan on something with Team Cherry with SilkSong? It’s just the crap with treehouse and hollow knight lately is so weird.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Looks like an interesting moveset. I can't wait to play Silksong and experience Hornet's habilities.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Recently there have been rumors tat the next fighter will be someone very unexpectec that even leakers have not heard about. If it is a indie charecter. The knight or hornet are right now the most popular indies in the switch and appareantly it is also in japan. Nintendo this year has been advertasing silksong like crazy, they are definitvely up to something if they are going to give an indie game this much atention.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Recently there have been rumors tat the next fighter will be someone very unexpectec that even leakers have not heard about. If it is a indie charecter. The knight or hornet are right now the most popular indies in the switch and appareantly it is also in japan. Nintendo this year has been advertasing silksong like crazy, they are definitvely up to something if they are going to give an indie game this much atention.
A hollow knight rep seems pretty likely. They probably considered them during the fighter’s pass but they thought the series was too young or Sakurai didn’t have an interest in them. They did finish the pass in November, 2018. Right now, they are participating more with the indie guys than before. They also have showcased “Silksong” at a lot E3s and during the potentially biggest reveals in free house: the double smash dlc reveal, Pokémon reveal, and the breath of the wild 2 reveal.

If hollow knight gets any amiibo, it’ll come out faster than this ****: https://www.amazon.com/Yacht-Games-...ds=shovel+knight+amiibo&qid=1575445041&sr=8-1

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's really cool to see Team Cherry alongside the big boys for the Switch's launch in China. Nintendo trully wants to work with Team Cherry.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If all the recent deconfirmations are true, Hornet (or the knight) have a bit of a chance of being fighter pass 5.
Hornet is one of those few character who, if done well, could convince me to purchase the game and the DLC.

Yeah I don't have it yet, none of the newcomers so far interest me enough and the gameplay changes are too small to justify getting the new game for me, so I'm just waiting for a DLC character who I like to at least have a reason to buy the game; if I won't get any favorite character, I may even skip this entry completely, so I can avoid the stress of completing it 100% - because I know that all the Smash games are frustrating (and time consuming) as heck to complete 100% and I'd be more than happy to skip that frustration; it's actually the second part of the reason for why I didn't buy the game yet.

As I said, Hornet and some other few characters can change my mind; I just need one of them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And is the only indie company they are working with if I am correct.

Honestly, there are no front runners now for Fighter 5. Could Silksong launch date be revealed at the game awards along a hornet character anouncement?
well the arent any front runners cause theyre arent any rumors on who it is

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
I'd personally prefer to see The Knight rather than Hornet, as it's the protagonist of the first game, but Hornet would be a great second choice. The main issue is Silksong isn't out yet, so there are no doubt numerous options for attacks that we aren't aware of yet.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'd personally prefer to see The Knight rather than Hornet, as it's the protagonist of the first game, but Hornet would be a great second choice. The main issue is Silksong isn't out yet, so there are no doubt numerous options for attacks that we aren't aware of yet.
Roy came out before his game. Plus Sakura can pull a lot from her in hallow knight as well

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
Roy came out before his game. Plus Sakura can pull a lot from her in hallow knight as well
It's definitely possible. I'd still like The Knight more though, if they're smart about it The Knight could very easily play exactly like it does in-game. The same could be true about Hornet, but Silksong isn't out yet. I think I'd rather she be added later and feel straight out of Silksong than be added before her full Silksong moveset is even known.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would be intresting to see a promotional, Indie, 3rd party pick for sure. To be fair, Hornet is arguably the protagonist of the story of the first game.

I do wonder if the Knight and Hornet would work as a duo with Hornet restraining foes and the Knight striking them with the nail.

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
I can't say I agree with Hornet being the protagonist of the first game. She's wandering around Hallownest killing lost Vessels, The Knight shows up and beats her, she helps it learn what's going on and tests it, then helps it in the final battle.

The Knight, meanwhile, is born of the Pale King and White lady then created with Void, almost reaches the top of the Abyss but is knocked back down as the Hollow Knight is chosen as the Pure Vessel. It manages to escape Hallownest later on but loses its memory and finds its way back, then goes about Hallownest discovering what befell the kingdom and learning about its past. It kills the Dreamers to break the seal, battles the Hollow Knight, then defeats The Radiance inside the Hollow Knight's mind and with the help of the Siblings and Hollow Knight. It destroys The Radiance thus ending the plague and returns to the Abyss, its task complete.

Pretty sure The Knight is a lot more involved in the story of Hollow Knight.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I love them both. While i still think the Knight deserve to be more in smash, he is the main character of the game afterall and the one you indentify the most, Hornet could have a cooler moveset for me, with her aerobathics fast moves and hunter tools at her disposal, while the knight has a much more slower gameplay, althoug the soul and shadows could be very interesting for a moveset if Sakurai lnos how to do it.

Overall any Hollow Knight representation in Smash will be amazing for me, but a character is really the dream that i want so much to be real. This franchise deserves more love.

Edit: Also, HOLLOW KNIGHT MUSIC IN SMASH.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I wanted Knight in smash, but then Silksong got announced and Hornet's my number 1 top pick now. She would have one of the most unique movesets out there, due to her silk mechanics and her acrobatic movements. We don't have much acrobatic characters who always carry a weapon.
I wouldn't say no to Knight though, since their soul mechanic is something we've never seen before.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
The perfect timeline will be both of them as tag team like pokemon trainer.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I recently started playing Hollow Knight, and I'm loving it so far. So count me in for supporting the Knight or Hornet.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Ok. Deconfirmations are in, and it seems that we might have a chance to get an indie character for fp5.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it is not impossible but I have one big concern. Hollow knight released on Switch in June 2018 and the selection for the fighter pass ended in november IIRC. The timing is kind of strange.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am 50/50 on verge right now. I really feel like its last year again and he is getting bad info. Which happens

Yeah it is not impossible but I have one big concern. Hollow knight released on Switch in June 2018 and the selection for the fighter pass ended in november IIRC. The timing is kind of strange.
The game was out on pc earlier then that, so thats all that matters.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I am 50/50 on verge right now. I really feel like its last year again and he is getting bad info. Which happens

The game was out on pc earlier then that, so thats all that matters.
Yeah but they didn't how successful the gameended up on the Switch back then

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
last i checked persona 5 stil isnt on the switch

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
last i checked persona 5 stil isnt on the switch
Really I think it's just a matter of time before the must be on Nintendo fan rule dies off. Cloud and Joker really stretched it to the point where it feels like it's hanging on by scraps

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
And team cherry was in conversation to get the game on switch since 2017. Seriously Hollow knight is the indie game that has more promotion from nintendo. This year specially with the e3 demo of Silksong. Their partnership in china. And the constant succes of the game here and in japan, they seriously are planing something with team cherry, even if is not smash. With this deconfirmations indie characters are very likely and Hollow Knight will be a cool reveal at the game awards. Kinda like a dark horse like Joker where no one see it coming.

I see now him as a serious conteder for number 5

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
Was just thinking, and wouldn't it make the most sense for Hornet's Up Special to be the Needle Throw? We see her use it to pull herself around at various points in Hollow Knight so it only makes sense.

I imagine in Smash it would function almost exactly like how it's described to now, but omnidirectional. The other change would be that if the needle hits terrain (so not platforms) Hornet pulls herself to the terrain hit and grabs her needle, then can perform any action except another Up B. If she hits the ledge with it it can function like a tether recovery and she can hang from the ledge choosing when to pull herself up. She'll have to stand on something or hang from the ledge before using it again.

For a new side B, she could use the attack from her second fight where she suspends spiked balls on her thread. Let's call it "Gossamer Spikes".

Depending on whether you input it normally or with a stick flick (i.e. for smash attacks) the spike ball will appear at a different distance, like Palutena's explosive flame after a bit over half a second. Normally it will appear right in front of Hornet, allowing it to be used defensively, and with a smash input it will appear about a Battlefield platform's distance away, allowing it to be used to pressure opponents and limit their movement options.

Each Gossamer Spikes ball placed will consume 10 Thread to use, and last 8-10 seconds before disappearing on their own (depending on balance). Hornet can have a maximum of 3 Gossamer Spikes balls in play at once, attempting to use it again will play a short failure animation. The spike balls can be knocked away with a well-placed attack, like in Hollow Knight. When they get knocked away they have no hitbox. If an opponent comes in contact with a spike ball they'll take 8% damage and be launched away with moderate knock back, not killing until very high %. (around 200 on midweights) The angle will depend on where it hit them, very similar to King Dedede's Gordos in Smash 4.

Gossamer Spikes will be used mainly as a way to control space, zoning opponents or ledge trapping. Thanks to how the knockback angle is chosen, though, it will also allow for creative kill set-ups or combos. Say Hornet uses dash attack and an opponent gets knocked into a Gossamer Spikes ball at the other side of the stage, they will likely get knocked back towards Hornet to allow for a combo. Another possibility would be placing a Gossamer Spikes ball in mid-air, then grabbing an opponent when they attempt a ledge get up and throwing them into it, then using the hitstun time to follow up with either an up air or Up-B for a combo or kill.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really I think it's just a matter of time before the must be on Nintendo fan rule dies off. Cloud and Joker really stretched it to the point where it feels like it's hanging on by scraps
i think they are certainly hanging on to scraps

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Indie World tomorrow maybe we will have infos about Silksong (don't expect anything related to Smash)

Just dropping by to show my support for Hornet in Smash. I've played Hollow Knight for the first time a few weeks ago and it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time, i'm in love with it and i can't wait for Silksong to come out. I would also love to see the Knight getting in but personally i would prefer Hornet. I don't think any of the 2 'deserves' to be in Smash more than the other at this point (i mean with Silksong, Hornet will 'officially' have the status of protagonist of the series imo, along with the Knight obviously).

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Just dropping by to show my support for Hornet in Smash. I've played Hollow Knight for the first time a few weeks ago and it quickly became one of my favorite games of all time, i'm in love with it and i can't wait for Silksong to come out. I would also love to see the Knight getting in but personally i would prefer Hornet. I don't think any of the 2 'deserves' to be in Smash more than the other at this point (i mean with Silksong, Hornet will 'officially' have the status of protagonist of the series imo, along with the Knight obviously).
Welcome to the crew!

I just watched Indie World, no news about Silksong but about this game Gleamlight, it looks pretty familiar...

I guess some aspects of Hollow Knight are inspiring other developpers, no surprise there, but yeah it looks really similar like almost too similar...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just watched Indie World, no news about Silksong but about this game Gleamlight, it looks pretty familiar...

I guess some aspects of Hollow Knight are inspiring other developpers, no surprise there, but yeah it looks really similar like almost too similar...
its a nice art style so its not to bad if it catches on

Last edited:
Top Bottom