• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hocotate meets Koppai! +1

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Since this is the social thread... Myran, will you please play Pikmin 3 or any of the other ones. Your signature is driving me crazy. Pikmin is one of Nintendo's secret greatest franchises, and you've never played one! :psycho:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Anyone going to any tournaments this weekend?
Going to one today.

Since this is the social thread... Myran, will you please play Pikmin 3 or any of the other ones. Your signature is driving me crazy. Pikmin is one of Nintendo's secret greatest franchises, and you've never played one! :psycho:
Never!

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Since I have a Wii U now and this is the Oli social thread, should I get Pikmin 3? I loved the first 2 back when they're released, and there's a demo available for 3 that I haven't tried yet.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Went 30-0 on For Glory with Olimar today. I beat one pretty good Sheik, outcamped every Link and Toon Link, and even beat a Diddy so bad he gave up on his second stock.

Thanks, Olimar Forums. <3

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I went to the first Smash club meeting at my university for this quarter, and man, I forgot how exhausting it feels after playing for 3 straight hours. I've been looking forward to this because I haven't done any friendlies in December.

There was a guy who played Sonic that went on a win streak on rotation 1v1 matches. The matches I had with him (as Olimar) felt a bit overwhelming just because he knows how to play Sonic and also because it's my first time against a Sonic (though I almost won in one match). He lost a match against a Lucina due to an accidental SD, then that Lucina went on a smaller win streak before I won a match with Space Gardener. I felt that those two players had much more experience with the game than I have at this point. I also had my first match against a Rosaluma (that I lost, though it was close) and several matches against a Luigi and a Bowser Jr.

I'll put up questions that I have in the Q&A thread eventually, but I just wanted to share this since I haven't done any matches in about a month. Playing with people again felt refreshing, and I hope I have time to keep going to these meetings to keep developing my gardening skills.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
I went to the first Smash club meeting at my university for this quarter, and man, I forgot how exhausting it feels after playing for 3 straight hours. I've been looking forward to this because I haven't done any friendlies in December.

There was a guy who played Sonic that went on a win streak on rotation 1v1 matches. The matches I had with him (as Olimar) felt a bit overwhelming just because he knows how to play Sonic and also because it's my first time against a Sonic (though I almost won in one match). He lost a match against a Lucina due to an accidental SD, then that Lucina went on a smaller win streak before I won a match with Space Gardener. I felt that those two players had much more experience with the game than I have at this point. I also had my first match against a Rosaluma (that I lost, though it was close) and several matches against a Luigi and a Bowser Jr.

I'll put up questions that I have in the Q&A thread eventually, but I just wanted to share this since I haven't done any matches in about a month. Playing with people again felt refreshing, and I hope I have time to keep going to these meetings to keep developing my gardening skills.
Awesome! I wish tournaments only lasted 3 hours haha. after 9 hours of smash i want to die.

Yea I don't think sonic is a good MU for us

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Hey, there's a tournament this Saturday that's about 30-60 minutes away from my home, depending on traffic, and I'm free on that day. Should I go there? I haven't really gone to any tournament, and I don't practice very much outside of weeklies at my Smash club.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey, there's a tournament this Saturday that's about 30-60 minutes away from my home, depending on traffic, and I'm free on that day. Should I go there? I haven't really gone to any tournament, and I don't practice very much outside of weeklies at my Smash club.
Well smash is amazing so yes.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Haha, I'm just now learning how wonderful Olimar is-my first(wrong) impression about him was that he was terrible...

But now I'm rocking the Space Gardener and getting better, and playing him in Sm4sh has finally got me to try his game series...
Hey guys

I've been lurking this board for a while now, keep up the good work

I wanted to share something I've been working on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlutZszH9Hg

I would be so grateful if everyone here took a moment to listen to this, this is what I'm doing when I'm not playing smash

Enjoy =)
That was beautiful.
That music fits perfectly with what I'm about to say: Playing Olimar allows me to rock a Space Dandy tag and listen to jazzy Cowboy Bepop music and just feel pumped to play Olimar.

Now I feel bad for calling all Olimar's I met in For Glory 'Olinerd'. óuò;

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
So, a new wave of amiibo is available and a new wave is on its way, how do you guys feel about the lack of any Olimar yet despite the announcement of unlockable characters? It makes me wonder if they're having issues with him, he seems like one of the harder amiibos to make work, maybe second to Mr. Game & Watch. Considering they have to do the helmet, with the thin stem that holds the light up, and the transparency, then they have to do the pikmin as well.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
So, a new wave of amiibo is available and a new wave is on its way, how do you guys feel about the lack of any Olimar yet despite the announcement of unlockable characters? It makes me wonder if they're having issues with him, he seems like one of the harder amiibos to make work, maybe second to Mr. Game & Watch. Considering they have to do the helmet, with the thin stem that holds the light up, and the transparency, then they have to do the pikmin as well.
Well it's going to be a mirror of his character selection image, so it should just be him standing there, and the Pikmin standing next to him I'd imagine.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Btw guys I'll be at Apex. If you're there come up and say hi! I play with wiichuk and have long hair. So you'll be able to find me easier.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
God... I went to my first tournament and I ... I'm only going to say that I finished last xD.
For glory has nothing, but NOTHING to do or to be compare against tourneys. I have a good win rate in for glory.

I had 2 matchs of my pitiful and short participation.
1st against a Falcon who blow me up in lets say... 2 min? I didn't even get a stock of him on 2 sets. He didn't even needed to reflect my pikmins... what a shame.
2nd against a Mario. I lost because I couldn't stop spamming Fsmash and he reflect me everytime. I win a set (yajuu... well, okey, no -_-) and finally I buried my participation with 2 obviously and totally avoidable suicides/Fsmashes at the final set.

So ... I need to make a decision about this. First of all, I have a family (wife and son) and I can't practice as much as I would like. I have a job so my hours to play/practice are even lesser. I don't want to be professional (I'm already late for that... 26 years and a family, I don't see that possible even if I wished).
But I want to be at least "good" and at least give some troubles to my enemy.

Do you guys believe I'm losing my time trying to be "competitive"?
It is the lack of tourney attendance and I'm just giving up?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
If it was your first tournament going 0-2 is to be expected. You can't improve if you don't keep playing with people better than you.

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
You don't need to dedicate your life into it but the only thing you can really do is practice more and play smarter. Best you can do is find someone good to practice with consistently, For Glory isn't completely worthless, but it tends to give bad habits.

EDIT THREE DAYS LATER BECAUSE DOUBLE POSTS ARE BAD:
image.jpg

So, today's conquest... Only Olimar is properly represented! For the first time ever I ran into two other Olimar's in FG as well... :3
Is this Olimar's first conquest? I haven't seen him on any till now. XD

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
So, today's conquest... Only Olimar is properly represented! For the first time ever I ran into two other Olimar's in FG as well... :3
Is this Olimar's first conquest? I haven't seen him on any till now. XD
No, he had a conquest on 3DS that was solely him vs. Rosalina. She won around 75-25.
Forget about the conquest, though; how and why is the picture upside down?

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
No, he had a conquest on 3DS that was solely him vs. Rosalina. She won around 75-25.
Forget about the conquest, though; how and why is the picture upside down?
Geez, that sounds pretty rough, I can figure why he doesn't get more conquests, what with his character not fitting in with most of the others on the roster and his gameplay only comparable to Rosalina...
And I have no idea! I took it with my phone and when I posted it from that it seemed perfectly fine! Guess it just adds to the hilarousness of how messed up that conquest is... King Dedededededede isn't even on his own team! XD

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yo Mars, what would u say the Cappin's general pros and con's are? Just wondering since I might play him again, loved him in Brawl as a kid :smash:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Yo Mars, what would u say the Cappin's general pros and con's are? Just wondering since I might play him again, loved him in Brawl as a kid :smash:
- Olimar can rack up damage with Pikmin Throw if his opponent isn't in his face. White Pikmin in particular will force the opponent to either take 4% per tick or kill it, which could possibly leave the opponent open. Purples act as a solid and fast projectile against opponents that rush in, and the primary colored Pikmin can potentially stop some elemental projectiles if latched on correctly and generally act as a minor annoyance.
- At mid range, Olimar has Fsmash and Dsmash to zone out approaching opponents and to continue throwing Pikmin. Fsmash is powerful coming from reds (17%) and purples (20% but with half the range), is the second fastest in the whole game at 11 frames, and acts as a zoning tool and primary killing tool thanks to its range. Dsmash covers both sides of him and can potentially deal 20+% if the opponent gets hit by both Pikmin.
- Grab is nerfed to the point that Olimar can't attempt them too much due to endlag, but it's still a useful tool. Dthrow combos into Fair and, in some cases, Usmash at low percents. Blues will make the most out of throws, as Bthrow does 14 damage fresh and Uthrow acts as a KO move at around 140-150%, or lower than that if Oli is in rage. Reds deal less damage but also deal less knockback, which could potentially lead into followups at mid-low percents with Dthrow. Yellows and Purples act very well for followup Fairs due to a larger hitbox or more damage, respectively.
- Winged Pikmin (up B) allows Olimar to recover very low or very high depending on situation. Although he is a little vulnerable, Olimar can cover himself by throwing a purple or attack out of it, but attacking does put him into free fall.
- Olimar has a few tools available should his opponent be in his face. Jab is his fastest attack and can lead into grab combos at low percents, though it's a little slower than a fair portion of the cast at 4 frames. Dtilt pops up the opponent up into the air and can potentially combo into itself or Utilt. Ftilt is slow, but has decent knockback and acts as a situational KO move.

- Olimar is very light, tied with Fox and Pikachu with being the 5th lightest(?). It's very easy to knock him off the stage if the opponent can get past his barrage of ranged attacks.
- Any attack with Pikmin has really bad priority; most grounded attacks will just clank with Fsmash while aerials cancel out Pikmin aerials and still hit Olimar.
- The two points above contribute to the fact that Olimar doesn't like to be juggled. His nair is usually the only aerial that is worth using in this situation, and most of the time he usually wants to drift away from the opponent or to the ledge. He does have super armor on the whistle that can help alleviate the situation.
- Smashes can be reflected, and a reflect can potentially KO Olimar at very early percents due to his weight. Although it doesn't automatically invalidate any matchups with reflectors, it does make Olimar more wary at throwing out Smashes recklessly.
- Olimar generally doesn't like close combat, as his options in that situation are somewhat limited. This means that character that thrive in fighting up close will be very dangerous if they get past his zoning attacks.
- EDIT: Although it's been mostly fixed, the Pikmin AI can act erratically, even on Wii U. It tends to mostly occur around ledges, where Pikmin sometimes just fall out of line and down into the abyss.

I'm not a great Olimar player by any means, so any input or correction from more experienced people is appreciated.

Last edited:

Jestaer

Smash Rookie
Guys, i'm new to the game and Smash series and I want to learn how to play very well to go at a local tournament or even with my friends... I really like Olimar but I have a problem when playing with him: I tend to "spam" Pikmin's Throw and keep distance from my opponent, or almost vs CPU, and not playing with Olimar Himself... How could I avoid this? Maybe trying to grab more and.... ? Any other suggestions? Please help me improving with Olimar!

FlipFlopMist

Smash Cadet
Guys, i'm new to the game and Smash series and I want to learn how to play very well to go at a local tournament or even with my friends... I really like Olimar but I have a problem when playing with him: I tend to "spam" Pikmin's Throw and keep distance from my opponent, or almost vs CPU, and not playing with Olimar Himself... How could I avoid this? Maybe trying to grab more and.... ? Any other suggestions? Please help me improving with Olimar!
Something that I've found to really help me get comfortable with using Olimar's jabs and tilts is play some Nolimar here and there-toss your Pikmen offstage and force yourself to use Olimar, and just Olimar.
You should only do this for practicing though, but it should help you learn to love his Dtilt, jab, and Nair. Other than that, actually distancing yourself from the foe is a really good thing, racking up DMG is what you should be doing, just know when to fight yourself though.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Yo, Myran Myran and Angbad Angbad , how did your experiences at Apex go? Was it as fun as it looked like on the streams?

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Yo, Myran Myran and Angbad Angbad , how did your experiences at Apex go? Was it as fun as it looked like on the streams?

It was basically a disaster haha, but when the tournament actually happened it was fun. I got top 50 losing to DK Will(sheik) and Player-1(Diddy) 2-1 both times.

Notable wins for me were:

Oracle (Bowser Jr.)
Kero (Greninja)
HelpR (Diddy)
Bloodcross ( Fox/Diddy)

I ended up winning 8 or 9 rounds.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Like Angbad said it was quite bad until the actual tournament started. Once it did though it was pretty fun. I got 33rd, losing to Dabuz (Last hit game 3) and Denti game 3. I actually could have beaten Dabuz, but I didn't see a Pikmin extend one of Rosa's hitboxes on Duck Hunt because the grass. The trip had some ups and downs, and I'm not really content with my placing but it was a cool experience.

My only notable set win would be against Reflex who I beat in wave 2 pools.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I was able to play friendlies tonight for 2 hours after weeks of doing personal stuff, and I felt a bit off when I started playing with other people again. I got 2-stocked by a Doc in a 1v1, then the rest of the matches were 6-8 player brouhahas. On the times that I did survive until 3 people with left, it just became a mix of 2v1, FFA, and 1v1 between the guy who switched between Doc and Toon Link, my friend's Mario who was fumbling around at first because he doesn't have the game but soon played as if he had some time with it, and me with Oli.

It was fun, it was good for me to get playing again after stressful weeks, and I'm dreading of being between 2 (Dr.) Marios after this.

Top Bottom