• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitting that Rest.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
So I've played Puff in Melee a bit and it seems like all of her set ups for Rest just do not work.
Is there something I am doing wrong? Can my fellow puff lovers throw me some advice or point me in the right direction?
I feel like her hitbox is different or altered than Melee or maybe I am just delusional.

Last edited:

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
So I've played Puff in Melee a bit and it seems like all of her set ups for Rest just do not work.
Is there something I am doing wrong? Can my fellow puff lovers throw me some advice or point me in the right direction?
I feel like her hitbox is different or altered than Melee or maybe I am just delusional.
It's the same as melee but in my heart it dosnt feel this way.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
I believe that all set ups she had for rest out of throws are gone, unless your opponent decides not to di down throw. Up throw rest can kind of work on fox and falco, but not really. The best thing I've found (and this only works on a few characters) is down throw into DACUS and then either just rest or up air/up tilt to put them in a better position. Footstool rest also works against a few characters, although it's pretty much guaranteed to work against wario
EDIT: Also jab reset rest is still there, but a lot of puffs moves won't put the opponent into a downed position or are easy to tech

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
To practice timing, just practice with another person on special versus, set both to "1 stamina/HP" and just try to get the timing right and KO each other with rest. This form of practice is used with both players being Jiggs. This practicing method works well with timing.

Last edited:

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I feel that all the melee MUs are good. But then again, melee. What about the others? This may be the reason why it doesn't feel the same or as good. Learn the MUs and what you can do with those not Melee related.

And just to let you know, Jiggs has been untouched from Melee to PM. Her only difference is her MU against other characters.
down throw to rest is the only one I know
And I'm surprised you're getting those. A lot of people I play know how to DI very well and are able to get out of it quite a bit of the time. Uthrow -> rest is a different story (if you're playing against spacies/fastfallers).

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I feel that all the melee MUs are good. But then again, melee. What about the others? This may be the reason why it doesn't feel the same or as good. Learn the MUs and what you can do with those not Melee related.

And just to let you know, Jiggs has been untouched from Melee to PM. Her only difference is her MU against other characters.

And I'm surprised you're getting those. A lot of people I play know how to DI very well and are able to get out of it quite a bit of the time. Uthrow -> rest is a different story (if you're playing against spacies/fastfallers).
It is not fair to say that "x character is exactly like melee". There are still issues with certain bugs and certain game engine differences that make certain combos and certain set ups not the same. For example, there is a throw release point bug that makes Pikachu's up throw and Ice Climber's down/f throw (and maybe others) combos impossible. Maybe Jigglypuff is the same with upthrow rest (or other set ups). There are also landing detection differences to consider, and these are just the issues I know of.

Maybe your right and he is just messing it up or trying it on new/newly viable characters, but it isn't the best idea to assume it is them that is messing up when there is potential for certain unintentional changes outside of the new viable characters and sound effects. Granted, he said that he feels as if the hitboxes are different, which I have yet to hear a bug of relating to that, but I just think its best to not assume that that is the case.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
It is not fair to say that "x character is exactly like melee". There are still issues with certain bugs and certain game engine differences that make certain combos and certain set ups not the same. For example, there is a throw release point bug that makes Pikachu's up throw and Ice Climber's down/f throw (and maybe others) combos impossible. Maybe Jigglypuff is the same with upthrow rest (or other set ups). There are also landing detection differences to consider, and these are just the issues I know of.

Maybe your right and he is just messing it up or trying it on new/newly viable characters, but it isn't the best idea to assume it is them that is messing up when there is potential for certain unintentional changes outside of the new viable characters and sound effects. Granted, he said that he feels as if the hitboxes are different, which I have yet to hear a bug of relating to that, but I just think its best to not assume that that is the case.
What I was strictly talking about was frame data and hitboxes. I have friends in the development team and they told me Jiggs is the exact same from Melee. in terms of mechanics and such from Melee and PM, I'm not quoting any of that because I don't know everything. I'm talking just moves.

Other

Smash Rookie
U-tilt to rest can actually be really strong, especially against fast fallers. If opponents DI it poorly it is generally a super easy rest.

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
U-tilt to rest can actually be really strong, especially against fast fallers. If opponents DI it poorly it is generally a super easy rest.
How do you pull off an UTilt with Jiggs though? I've been trying different things and UTilt always seems really risky to attempt. Do you have to combo into it?

GeZ

Smash Lord
How do you pull off an UTilt with Jiggs though? I've been trying different things and UTilt always seems really risky to attempt. Do you have to combo into it?
Dair > Utilt > rest can sometimes work.

What I do to land Utilt is condition my opponent to just expect a lot of poking (wall of Bairs, spaced Fairs, etc) then going deep off of one rather than pulling back after.

Also it can sometimes fit into combos.

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
Dair > Utilt > rest can sometimes work.

What I do to land Utilt is condition my opponent to just expect a lot of poking (wall of Bairs, spaced Fairs, etc) then going deep off of one rather than pulling back after.

Also it can sometimes fit into combos.
Thanks, I was thinking this was the case. I think I mostly just need a lot more practice and need to FOCUS on trying to get that rest. I too often forget about it focusing on my spacing.

I pretty much never used the rest in melee but she was still one of my main characters. Just the BAir essentials I guess. :cool:

Other

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new and I don't know of any good combos into it, but you can definitely pull them off if you space well. It's more of something you should be aware of in case the opportunity arises than something you should look for.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Been watching some Jiggs vids from Melee and became instantly hype with what rest can do, so I began picking up Jiggs.

Jiggs is a character in which you have to be upclose in order to hit that rest, very upclose.

What I do to rest is jump into the person. As im jumping in I hit down b.

THIS worked when characters scar through the stage. For instance Marth's Up-B.

Up-Tilt to rest works great on anyone that has some weight on them. It's a lil harder on smaller characters so i try to get upclose on them after I bait with bair.

Coming down from the air I fastfall into the opponent when im close to them and press down b whilt falling.

Shorthop to Rest is what I do 100% on the ground. I never stand still whille im close to my opponent and hit down b usually Jiggs doesn't hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom