• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitmonlee: The Flexible Fighting-Type

D

Deleted member

737D814F-E1CF-492F-AD33-9691307ADFB5.png

Part One

Hitmonlee: “The Kicking Pokèmon”
Hitmonlee.
When considering newcomers, I’d doubt that Hitmonlee normally comes to mind. He doesn’t really get much publicity, so it’s easy to understand why. But, when you stop and look, you might see that this Pokèmon has more to offer than it may seem.

What Makes me Want Hitmonlee?
Well, Hitmonlee has always appealed to me design-wise. His simple colours, despite being dull, are pleasing to the eye. His design is not over complicated, yet demonstrates character and gives off that real Pokèmon-y feel.
But it’s not just colour and design.
Hitmonlee’s stretchy, combative legs have always been of my interest. Just the fact that he can let lose a kick from a mile away is, quite frankly, really cool.
I’d love to see this demonstrated properly in Smash!

Hitmonlee: A Brief History
Hitmonlee first appeared in Pokèmon Red and Blue for the Gameboy on the 27th of February, 1996, and went on to appear in many sebsquent generations of the games, and numerous spin-offs.

Appearences in Smash
Believe it or not, Hitmonlee did in fact appear in the original Super Smash Brothers! Hitmonlee was available as a Pokè Ball summon, and would traverse the stage and use Jump Kick to send opponents flying!

Part Two

As a Fighter
Hitmonlee could make an entrance as an insanely unique fighter; his speed, his kicking prowess, and his flexible legs.

Moveset

Here, I’ll list the details of Hitmonlee’s potential moveset. The sections will be placed into spoilers, for your convenience.
Jab: two quick kicks, which lead in to an infinite like Fox’s.

Dash attack: A leaping kick, which hits twice. Very fast.

Forward tilt: A quick swipe of the leg, akin to Captain Falcon’s. Semi-spikes.

Down tilt: A leg sweep like Snake’s, send opponents upwards. Great for setting up combos.

Up tilt: Hitmonlee sends his knee upwards, then outstretches his leg. Hits twice, knee deals heavy shield damage.
Up aerial: He swings his leg upwards, in a wide arc.

Forward aerial: Swings both legs forward, one after another, akin to Mii Brawler.

Down aerial: Frontflips and smashes his leg into the opponent. Spikes.

Back aerial: Swings his leg in a horizontal arc, akin to Ryu.
Now, this is when things get interesting. When using Hitmonlee’s smash attacks, the longer the button is held during the attack, the farther his leg stretches. His leg can go almost as far as Simon’s whip.
The drawback? The longer the stretch, the longer the end lag.
Non-stretches are very quick, full stretches are sluggish.

Forward smash: Kicks forward at a slight upward angle, fairly powerful.

Up smash: Kicks upwards at a slight forward angle. Phenomenal anti-air when stretched.

Down smash: Crouches, and kicks downward. Semi-spikes.
Hitmonlee’s specials will be derived from his home series.

Neuteral special:
Feint: Hitmonlee kicks at the opponent. Deals heavy shield damage, as it goes through Protect in its own games.

Side special:
Double Kick: Hitmonlee leaps at the opponent with his leg outstretched. Press the button a second time to deal a high-knockback kick which sends the opponent upwards. Good for recovery. Does not leave helpless.

Up special:
Stretching Leap: This move is original to Smash. Hitmonlee leaps up high using his springy legs. Great recovery, leaves helpless.

Down special:
Superpower: Hitmonlee surrounds himself in a red aura and rushes at the opponent. High knock back, sluggish endlag. Reflects projectiles.

Hitmonlee will be a middleweight of above-average speed, but will possess high falling speed and gravity, making him susceptible to combos. He will possess great range in the form of his smash attacks, provided the button is held, and good approaching options in the form of his side special and dash attack.
Damage-racking abilities due to his jab and excellent tilts and aerials; good for combos, but will suffer from a long-distanced, albeit unsafe recovery.

His Chances
Hitmonlee’s chances are slim; he is obscure, and often left out of the picture. However, Hitmonlee has made a significant appearance in the first Smash in the form of a Pokè Ball summon, so, adding things up, his inclusion is possible. I remain hopeful.

The End
Thanks heaps for reading through this. I hope that you consider supporting Hitmonlee and this thread, I’d really appreciate it.
Thanks heaps!
:106:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

lol why not, Add me to the support list please. Hitmonlee is my favorite out of the three hitmon's and one of my favorite Pokemon too.

Top Bottom