• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History 2002-2008: The Elite

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Great read!

But it could have been even better if you added a segment like "where are they now?"

e.g. Ken has a job working for this company as an artist and has never played Smash since 2008...etc.

Just really curious. Melee da bess!

he attended a brawl tournament back in 09 here in socal

he ****ed up a certain romeo.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Wak never got that big lol... he had a nice YLink combo vid though xD

Back the NEO, wasn't he arguably the best on the East Coast around 05-early 06?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
At no point in time was Neo considered the best. He is a great player, and he has always been super hyped, but he has never had the tournament resume to be considered the best.

Azen was indisputable best on the EC until PC Chris came along and stole his thunder.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
At no point in time was Neo considered the best. He is a great player, and he has always been super hyped, but he has never had the tournament resume to be considered the best.

Azen was indisputable best on the EC until PC Chris came along and stole his thunder.
He should at least have an honorable mention. Yeah, he was inconsistent in placings but when he put in his work, he was placing top 3 easily in his time. Just like When he placed 3rd at Bomb (3 or 4) and 2nd place to Ken at MLG Chicago 2005(or 2006, look it up lol)

lol I don't even know why I'm worrying about all this. NEO prolly doesn't give a **** anyway and neither should I. We already know whats up lol

mango for number 1..? he took the game to an entirely different level, and hes still the only one on that level lol. i dont think people give mango enough credit =/

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
mango for number 1..? he took the game to an entirely different level, and hes still the only one on that level lol. i dont think people give mango enough credit =/
Yeah for sure.

One thing I've noticed, Melee has taken on a whole new generation of players now. All the older top players have moved on. Some have stayed but the majority has moved on. Azen,Ken, Isai, PCChris, and all of those on the list are gone.

I count players like Axe, Mango, Armada, Hbox, and many others in the new generation of melee players. Is that fair to say?

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
Yeah for sure.

One thing I've noticed, Melee has taken on a whole new generation of players now. All the older top players have moved on. Some have stayed but the majority has moved on. Azen,Ken, Isai, PCChris, and all of those on the list are gone.

I count players like Axe, Mango, Armada, Hbox, and many others in the new generation of melee players. Is that fair to say?
It is.

To be in this category of player, you essentially had to be a player who revolutionized the game in some way and won multiple national tournaments (or, in some cases, were far enough ahead of the competition to realistically be in contention). I believe these are the only eight players who fully fit that description.
Maybe these were the players who qualified for this list when Melee was in its prime and JV decided to exclude those who were not as significant during the era, even though as much as I'd hate to admit it Mango definitely deserves honorable mention at least.

Top Bottom