• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

His first match!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, at 1:40 we finally get our answer for his victory theme; it's a wee snippet of Gangplank Galleon! Nice little touch there.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
bair looks like the best thing ever
Also according to this, uair(?) comes out on frame 7, jab1 on frame 4, and nair on frame 7 as well, fair comes out on frame 11-12(idk)
but bair is on frame 16 or 17, oof

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Do you guys think this is what we will get instead of Sakurai explaining his move set?..

D

Deleted member

Krown looks a little laggy. But with the physics of the kannonball there is a lot of potential for that move. I'm HYPE. Aerials look pretty solid too.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I have so many things to say about this...
1. HOLY CRAP THAT WAS A FANTASTIC MATCH AND K.ROOL IS A BEAST!

2. In all seriousness, what I loved is that K.Rool plays almost identically to how I expected him to play; be a heavyweight but have a tad more speed than Bowser. Nearly every move he made had a speed to it that most other heavyweights, Bowser included, lacked. Like every combo and attack was speedy, but you can still feel he was a heavy character and thus you could feel the weight in his impact. K. Rool so far looks to be like the in-between character where he is heavy and can deal a ton of damage but have a lot more mobility.

3. Am I the only one that noticed that they paired him up with Snake, making it both a throwback to MGS 3; Snake Eater where Snake could kill crocodiles and use their heads as camouflage? I also noticed that it was a battle of the reptiles since snakes belong in the same family as crocodiles/alligators, so I thought that was a clever joke.

4. Regarding Snake again, it's interesting that they paired K. Rool with him instead of Bowser, but I feel that was deliberate; they wanted to show how K. Rool as a heavy would do battle against someone that's mid-weight. Making it a one on one battle with Bowser would not just fail to showcase how K. Rool can stand out, it may indirectly make Bowser look bad since he is the resident heavy villain and people are just concerned whether he is the powerhouse he was in Smash 4 or not. So I think it was a good idea on them to have the battle be with a middle weight rather than another heavy weight.

5. I LOVE that his victory jingle is his theme song. I always felt that every fight needed their own victory jingle. I understand how the main characters of a franchise could share the same jingle, but for the villains it always felt odd that they always had the same jingle, and it was more baffling in Brawl when Metaknight was the only one with his own jingle. I hope Ultimate continues to make unique jingles for characters that deserve it.

Overall, I REALLY want to see more of K. Rool, as well as a full explanation of his moves by Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

I won't bother with analyzing and all of that but.

Holy clusternut that cannonball combo sold me on K. Rool more than that trailer ever could, and it was an awesome trailer too!

Seriously, this was a treat. Small, perhaps, but still well worth the little tease.

I can't wait to do the DKC2 combo as well, cause wholly knackers.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I feel you. I need to see and hear Sakurai talking about our beloved KING?!!
I understand that the nature of his reveal was as an ending surprise, but still I hope we get more of how K.Rool works in a future direct or a video.

And yes, that cannoball/side kick combo was NUTS

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I am just overwhelmed by the amount of options he seems to have.

2 projectiles, the Blunderbuss itself is still very unexplored and needs more clearance, but the Crown looks solid.

Huge pivot grab range, overall solid aerials, a Falcon spike, his recovery may allow him to go deep off stage.

Oh, one of his tilts can bury, too and his dash attack has armor...oh and a counter, don’t forget about that.

It‘s INSANE what he can do and we havn‘t Even seen all the moves!

Will he have throw combos or a kill throw? How strong is up air? Can he catch his crown?

These and more questions have yet to be answered and still he looks super versatile!

StormC

Smash Hero
He's basically bowser with projectiles
Bowser wishes he had his air speed and mobility, not to mention various tools (insanely good up throw, frame 4 jab, counter, burying tilt).

I doubt K. Rool will be top tier since his large frame makes him combo fodder, but he pretty much craps on Bowser and Dedede based on this video.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Bowser wishes he had his air speed and mobility, not to mention various tools (insanely good up throw, frame 4 jab, counter, burying tilt).

I doubt K. Rool will be top tier since his large frame makes him combo fodder, but he pretty much craps on Bowser and Dedede based on this video.
does he actually have a good dash/air speed?

IronTed

Smash Ace
Fair into cannon ball was the most beautiful thing in Ultimate I've seen so far.

But more generally speaking, K. Rool looks really solid, like better than mid tier. He could potentially be the top super heavy in the game, which would be neat.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Does any one know if fair autocancels?
Also seriously what is his air and dash speeds like, according to some people on here they're really good but I can't judge that for myself..

StormC

Smash Hero
Does any one know if fair autocancels?
Also seriously what is his air and dash speeds like, according to some people on here they're really good but I can't judge that for myself..
His dash dance seems really good, in terms of air speed he generally jumps faster than characters like Bowser and Dedede. That's the main thing.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
His dash dance seems really good, in terms of air speed he generally jumps faster than characters like Bowser and Dedede. That's the main thing.
in terms of jumpsquat or actual jump speed? Cause there's now a universal jumpsquat of 3 frames, also I really hope his dash speed itself is fast

StormC

Smash Hero
in terms of jumpsquat or actual jump speed? Cause there's now a universal jumpsquat of 3 frames, also I really hope his dash speed itself is fast
Actual jump speed, but ZeRo goes more into detail for this video, it's very helpful:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Nair also looks like a safe landing option and he gets huge when he uses it so it may have a disjoint.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Zero did a really in-depth analysis of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfgaBMMAC4

Gotta say, I'm eating my words a bit. I thought he'd be mid tier at best but he looks like an absolute beast. First Ridley, now K Rool. I can't believe we have heavies that may actually be viable.
Dang, I made a thread about just this video as I didn't see it posted here. Was at work when he released it...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The most disappointing thing was the lack of the belch-y sounding grunt K Rool makes when you hit him in DKC.

You would think he'd make that noise when KO'd...

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
The most disappointing thing was the lack of the belch-y sounding grunt K Rool makes when you hit him in DKC.

You would think he'd make that noise when KO'd...
I thought it was a given as well. Maybe Sakurai saw it as weird or too goofy.?

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Well, I consider myself schooled. I was never that interested in the idea of K. Rool in Smash before he got in, and from his reveal trailer I had him written off as low-tier... but that match has me sold. I'll never doubt the King again, he looks really cool.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
To Kingdom Kome with tier placings. (I got PKMN TRNER for that)

Kause this Kroc is gonna kapture me some remarkable kountry-size memories with my buddies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want to thank ZeRo and everyone who has been analyzing his Moveset, it's helpful for sure, you guys rock. He's one of my mains forever after what I saw. Can't wait too see more.

Top Bottom