• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Highest Grossing Media Franchises of all Time

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Smash speculation scene. We talk a lot about the biggest gaming franchises of all time. We talk a lot about the blasphemous (or to some, long awaited) addition of characters like Goku or Shrek. I think the appeal to both is to get the most prolific game possible, catering to some of the most known (copywritten) characters of all time (distinct from public domain characters). As fans, we just want to see this game get some of the most known characters of all time, making the game we love feel all the more important, further justifying why we love it so.

Well, we have an actual definitive list (in this case, courtesy of Wikipedia) which tells us the highest grossing MEDIA franchises of all time

The top electronic gaming franchises on that list are as follows (in estimated billions of dollars); these cover the genres of "Video Game, Arcade Game, and Mobile Game, Digital Pet, and Computer Game." Though, all are across more than one type of media:
  • Pokemon- 69
  • Mario- 34
  • Pac-man- 15.1
  • Space Invaders- 12.9
  • Streetfighter- 11.5
  • Final Fantasy- 11.1
  • Dragon Quest- 11
  • Warcraft- 10.7
  • Dungeon Fighter Online- 10.5
  • Grand Theft Auto- 8.56
  • Sonic the Hedgehog- 7.24
  • Puzzle and Dragons- 6.1
  • League of Legends- 5.69
  • Westward Journey- 5.5
  • Resident Evil- 5.24
  • Angry Birds 5.16
  • Minecraft- 5.1
  • Halo- 5.011
  • Mortal Kombat- 5
  • Monster Strike- 4.81
  • Assassin's Creed- 4.34
  • Gran Turismo- 4
  • Candy Crush- 3.68
  • Skylanders- 3.5
  • Yokai-Watch- 3.45
  • Monster Hunter- 3.42
  • The Legend of Zelda- 3.24
  • Tomb Raider- 3.12
  • Tamagotchi- 3.12
I have included every electronic game on the list ranging between Nintendo's big three (Pokemon, Mario, Zelda). Perhaps this will clue us on on what franchises are actually going to get in the game. I know personally I am unaware of a few of these games, but others are much bigger than I ever could have thought. And while I don't like to consider Yokai-Watch as bigger than Digimon, or how League of Legends or Candy Crush read as 'non games' to me, it is important to look at this list without bias These are the numbers, folks.

How does seeing this influence your idea of Smash Bros Ultimate?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Whoops... could a moderator please move this to the 'General Discussion' sub-forum?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
How the hell can Pac-Man and Space Invaders be so far up? They haven't had a hit game since the 80s!

SIAD

Smash Rookie
That list is largely incomplete and inaccurate, unfortunately.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Oh, hey, Puzzle & Dragons. I'm not really surprised to see it so high up.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That list is largely incomplete and inaccurate, unfortunately.
How so do you find it inaccurate? That is a bold claim to make without any followup.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean, it came from Wikipedia, and we all know that it isn't a reliable source for such a thing.
Then provide a source that’s up to your standards. That’s how burden of proof works, pal. At least Wikipedia bothers to cite its sources.

SIAD

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I feel like I spoke too rashly-- Among wikipedia enthusiasts I know, that page is kind of not held in high regard. It's not like the Fortune 500 or the Forbes billionaires list where there's strict criteria and a method to finding each entry, it's more just cobbled together from whatever sources or articles wikipedia users happen to find. I don't literally think it's untrue but I believe it is not truly representative and has a lot of gaps.

Top Bottom