• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
I wonder if Sophie will be added to Smash as a spirit like how The Tocckles and Partner Pikachu were added?

Phantom strikers already has connectivity with Smash so it's possible
DQ's spirit board became a full square with the bonus DQ spirit... While Smash isn't known for ending up with square screens for stages, fighters, or really anything, what if that happened to the Persona/Banjo/FatalFury boards too? It'd mean another 5 Persona spirits though, which would require more then just Sophia...

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Anyone remember how surreal it was the first time we all saw the Phantom Thieves cameos? And pretty much everything else in that presentation?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyone remember how surreal it was the first time we all saw the Phantom Thieves cameos? And pretty much everything else in that presentation?
I remember when Mass Destruction starts to play and I accidentally screamed.

No regrets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The thing that threw me off guard the most was when Mementos turned blue and I heard the familiar "BABY BABY BABY BABY." I screamed when I saw and heard that.

Having the Phantom Thieves cameo on Mementos is something that I expected, but I still appreciated.

The rest of the presentation was still solid and it gave us a new meme, "For his neutral special, he wields a Gun."

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, the fact the stage changed when you used music from past Persona games was something I found dope as hell back when it was revealed.

amageish

Smash Master
Basically everything about that presentation was serrial for me. All of the Phantom Thieves voicing his gameplay trailer was especially magical, as was the music changing the stage, the cameos, and his amazing victory screen.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remember being slightly disappointed because I was expecting them to be stage hazzards or something.

Yeah, the fact the stage changed when you used music from past Persona games was something I found dope as hell back when it was revealed.
I'll never forget the borderline fangirl scream I had when Mass destruction showed up.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Just realized that the Game Awards for 2019 is about a month from now.

Can't believe it's been almost a year since that legendary trailer...

amageish

Smash Master
That was one of the most memorable moments of my life, as dumb as that sounds.
It's the opposite for me; I was too hyped and now I literally can't remember it haha. The friends I was on discord with say I was screaming a lot though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
S'up, people!

So I'm thinking about getting Persona 5 soon since I've heard a lot of good things about it. Should I just get the game since it's only $20 or wait until P5 Royal comes out?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
S'up, people!

So I'm thinking about getting Persona 5 soon since I've heard a lot of good things about it. Should I just get the game since it's only $20 or wait until P5 Royal comes out?
Personally, I'd go with the original. To me it's such a flawlessly executed and paced game and a lot of the apparent changes in Royal have me seriously side-eyeing it. I'd experience the story as it was originally told. Plus it's twenty bucks.

amageish

Smash Master
S'up, people!

Hm. Tough question is tough.

The base game is fantastic and its hard not to recommend it. That said, Royal looks be that same fantastic game with any mechanical shortcomings smoothed out (I have not read story spoilers though and can't speak to it in that regard). I'm fairly certain it'll end up splitting the fanbase about which version is better based on whether people find the new characters likeable/fun, as happened with Persona 4 Golden, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 3 Portable, but Royal at least is going to be superior mechanically/gameplay-wise...

I think it depends on how fast you finish games and what you would want to get out of it? If you think you'd finish an 80-hour JRPG before the end of the year, then totally go for it. It's definitely worth playing and is a fantastic time. If you think you'd be doing it slowly over the next, like, half a year... then I feel like waiting for Royal may be worth it? As I imagine it would kind of suck to have finished a giant JRPG then go on the internet to find that everyone is discussing a newer version of the same game...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well I guess since I don’t have anything else going on, then I may just get the base game over the weekend rather than wait until who knows when for Royal to come out.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If you just want to experience the story I think it's best to play the original, Royal adds some extra gameplay elements that are more engaging but the new story elements mess with the pacing a bit while the original was just fine as is.

Personally I feel like the new plot from Royal could have been separated into a separate smaller game project and it would have worked better.

D

Deleted member

Unsurprisingly, the VGAs officials also remember the fateful moment.

I have never lost it for any character in Smash.
Joker still remains the character I was the most hyped for and I remember vividly when he got confirmed. I still can't believe it happened.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm personally fine with Royal's existence as it is and am down to play P5 with expanded content, even if means having to find time for Kasumi during the original P5 story. That said, I am very much not thrilled about how Atlus can seemingly never make a definitive edition of one of their games that is, like, actually definitive... People like P4 over P4G because of Marie not being everyone's cup of tea... P3P vs P3FES is requires a spreadsheet of positives vs negatives to navigate, as they just straight-up have content exclusive to each version.... People don't agree on if they like their Nocturnes featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series or not...

I almost feel like Atlus should start having both "Start in Classic Mode" vs "Start in [Royal/Golden/Maniax/Full Body] Mode" settings in future releases of these games, so the more traditionalist fans can experience the gameplay improvements offered without the new story elements.

Anyway, enjoy the game Tino! It is a great time. Keep us posted on how your playthrough goes!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I have never lost it for any character in Smash.
Joker still remains the character I was the most hyped for and I remember vividly when he got confirmed. I still can't believe it happened.
It's still hard to believe it's real, out of all the DLC fighters Joker is the one I never expected to actually join smash. And that makes me so happy.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I definitely agree that Portable and FES additions combined in one game would be great. Marie's Social Link and story is completely optional, so not sure why people have a problem with it but being able to skip new filler scenes in Golden would be a welcome addition.

As for Royal, I liked the new final arc even though it's somehow disconnected from the vanilla version's story. Also, let's be honest, P5's final boss was far more out-of-left-field than P5R's.

D

Deleted member

It's still hard to believe it's real, out of all the DLC fighters Joker is the one I never expected to actually join smash. And that makes me so happy.
Me neither. I didn't know what to expect for the DLC, but Joker was one of the last characters I was thinking of. On top of that, Banjo is a part of the pass and he was another character that I wanted that I deemed impossible (and I also lost it for his reveal).
There are other characters that I do want to see in Smash, such as Byleth and Doom Slayer, but I can't be mad if they don't make it in.

I definitely agree that Portable and FES additions combined in one game would be great. Marie's Social Link and story is completely optional, so not sure why people have a problem with it but being able to skip new filler scenes in Golden would be a welcome addition.

As for Royal, I liked the new final arc even though it's somehow disconnected from the vanilla version's story. Also, let's be honest, P5's final boss was far more out-of-left-field than P5R's.
I can't say anything in regards to P5R as I am trying to avoid spoilers.
One opinion I've heard about P4G is that Marie is a problem, but she's not the main problem. The town of Inaba has basically nothing in it and it's a motivation for a lot of characters; when you add in the beach, snowboarding, and a whole new town with a movie theater, it ruins some of the motivations of the characters. I get that reasoning at least.

Honestly I can't play any other version of P3 that isn't the Portable version. It has lower production values and some oddities (like some voice lines not matching the text), but I need the controllable party members.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thats odd regarding A if true becuase they said in an interview it was still obtainable
I mean, I never saw any playthrough go for the original ending but if they say it's included, it should be in.

I'm just not sure exactly how to avoid new "good" ending.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

I guess we'll be getting a full countdown to the announcement! I do really love the P5R key arts, with them holding the masks...

Well, at least we won't have to wait as long as the VGAs, we'll find out P5R's date two Tuesdays from now.
Yeah... I was kind of expecting them to take advantage of Joker's reveal last year and promoting P5R at TGAs as well, but I'd like to know sooner rather then later for sure!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I guess we'll be getting a full countdown to the announcement! I do really love the P5R key arts, with them holding the masks...

Yeah... I was kind of expecting them to take advantage of Joker's reveal last year and promoting P5R at TGAs as well, but I'd like to know sooner rather then later for sure!
Atlus are sticklers for their odd traditions, they haven't gotten that progressive. :p

amageish

Smash Master
One day left before the P5R announcement! Woo-hoo!

In an ordinary world, this is when I'd ask if anyone has any last-minute bets on a release date, but we may have had a spoiler from the Taiwanese PlayStation Store...

P5R is coming out in Asia in both Chinese and English on February 20th, 2020 (the same day P5S comes out in Japan).

Probably means it'll be coming out in English on or before that day as well, even if that isn't "Spring 2020"?

D

Deleted member

Now that P5R is up for preorders, did anyone get the special edition with the mask and such? I got that version.

amageish

Smash Master
Now that P5R is up for preorders, did anyone get the special edition with the mask and such? I got that version.
I did! As Amazon Canada was the one to leak it, I was able to preorder it prior to its actual announcement haha.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Screenshot_20191206-003655.png

So like, is Akechi's ranger costume in the featherman DLC meant to be a reference to the Phantom thief Ranger team in Super sentai who's sixth'd ranger was a police officer/Phantom thief who also got Silver and black as his color scheme?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I saw that Phantom Mask edition, and I need it. This way, I'll have all the art for P5, since I already got the base game art book from Europe.

Only issue is that I pre-ordered FF7R, and that'll have money stolen from my wallet, so good thing P5R is at the other end of the month.

So like, is Akechi's ranger costume in the featherman DLC meant to be a reference to the Phantom thief Ranger team in Super sentai who's sixth'd ranger was a police officer/Phantom thief who also got Silver and black as his color scheme?
It's so likely that the question doesn't really need to be asked, honestly.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, it's the anniversary of Joker's reveal! Last year from now, I stayed up as long as humanly possible and had trouble sleeping afterwards, I was so excited. I came across a nice piece of art too:

Last edited:
Top Bottom