• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a semi-unrelated note, Sega has lots of love for Gamescom recently. New Streets of Rage 4 tease, Yakuza Collection (YES!! I can finally retire the older releases), :ultmario:&:ultsonic: 8-bit Olympic sport events, and word on the street says we could get a showing from the next Sakura Wars tomorrow or Thursday.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
On a semi-unrelated note, Sega has lots of love for Gamescom recently. New Streets of Rage 4 tease, Yakuza Collection (YES!! I can finally retire the older releases), :ultmario:&:ultsonic: 8-bit Olympic sport events, and word on the street says we could get a showing from the next Sakura Wars tomorrow or Thursday.
I need to find some cash quickly just to get my hands on that collection.

amageish

Smash Master
I forgot to check this thread again and missed... mostly more debating about Joker being an assist trophy? Okaaaay.

Of course they could also go for a more generic route and not have any character be an AT and instead go a demon only. Some of the more iconic Personas/demons would include the Jack family (mostly Frost, followed by Pyro), Cerberus (would be a nice shout out to the beginning of the entire MegaTen franchise), the main characters' Personas (Orpheus, Izanagi, Arsene) and Yo****sune for it's famous gamebreaking status, maybe Decarabia, Matador, Pixie and Alice as well). But whether you have someone summon the demons or have them without a human character attached would just be a cosmetic decision in the end.

There's also the possibility that I'm putting way too much effort into thinking about this.
These are all good ideas. Can the next Smash game have the Demonic Compendium as an item that summons MegaTen demons from across the franchises as assists, like a more niche mythological pokeball? As I kind of want all of these now...

That said, if P5 is getting an AT by itself, Futaba would make the most sense to me, especially as P5R seems to be giving her more attacks to do with her persona. Might as well have the assist trophy be the person who assists you. She's also not already in the Mementos stage, so no issues of her being in two places at once!

Royal is getting a special livestream on August 30th. In addition to that, one of the OVAs will also be shown.
I guess they can continue going into gameplay changes? At this point, I don't know if I want any more of the main story shown. I feel like we've had more then enough stuff to chew on and I'm fairly certain some of the heavy speculation going on in the Kasumi thread has predicted some stuff accurately...

D

Deleted member

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ow_sold_more_than_10_million_copies_worldwide

It's come a long way, friends. Now no detractor can't exactly say it's "not deserving" to be in here.
I'm glad that Persona reached over 10 million in sales! The series has come a long way and I am glad it's getting some recognition!
I hope the future for the series is just as bright!

The truth is that I'm glad that persona has succeeded I have seen it and it seems like a good game I hope I can play some game of yours
If you want to get into Persona, I highly recommend 5 or wait for 5R to come out. 5 is pretty beginner friendly and an easy game to boot.

D

Deleted member

The truth is that I'm glad that persona has succeeded I have seen it and it seems like a good game I hope I can play some game of yours
If you simply wanna try the series out to get a feel for the general gameplay, I'd suggest trying to get your hand on a cheap Vita. You can get all the previous 4 games (5 if you count the P2 duology separately) on a single device. The updated re-release of Persona 4 even being a Vita exclusive and it only costs $20 on the PS Store nowadays, maybe cheaper if you can find it used.

Just note that Persona 1 and 2 are very different from modern Persona, to the point they might as well be a different series altogether.

D

Deleted member

A new trailer for P5R has been released, but be forewarned: If you are currently playing P5 or have not experienced P5 and want to go blind in P5R, do not watch this trailer. It contains MASSIVE spoilers.

I'm not sure what to make any of this... but it definitely seems like we should expect more to come in terms of plot in P5R

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
A new trailer for P5R has been released, but be forewarned: If you are currently playing P5 or have not experienced P5 and want to go blind in P5R, do not watch this trailer. It contains MASSIVE spoilers.

I'm not sure what to make any of this... but it definitely seems like we should expect more to come in terms of plot in P5R
Really threw the spoiler right in the thumbnail, didn't they?

D

Deleted member

I sure am glad I already finished Persona 5 by now, because Atlus put the spoiler right into video thumbnail... Good going there, guys.

Anyway, in addition to the above, Joker's character trailer also dropped. Be warned this one also has the same major spoiler as the above one.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I sure am glad I already finished Persona 5 by now, because Atlus put the spoiler right into video thumbnail... Good going there, guys.

Anyway, in addition to the above, Joker's character trailer also dropped. Be warned this one also has the same major spoiler as the above one.
...okay, now I’m confused. In the trailer, Joker’s called “Hero”, but we already have a Hero in Smash, so we have two Heroes in the game as opposed to just the one that we thought. This needs some deep thinking...

:)

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman

So, I only beat P5 for the first time a couple of days ago. Is showing the twins around the gym a new addition, or is that just a choice I missed somewhere along the line?

Also, Joker dancing is...not to my liking.
And Aketchi looks really cool. Why couldn't he look like this instead of a toucan in P5?

...okay, now I’m confused. In the trailer, Joker’s called “Hero”, but we already have a Hero in Smash, so we have two Heroes in the game as opposed to just the one that we thought. This needs some deep thinking...

:)
I think only in the metaverse is Joker "Joker". No Arsene = Hero.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Actually, there's a lot more 'Heroes' than we might have originally thought. Consider, for a moment, that canonically, each Link is referred to as the Hero of something, and the three we have are the Hero of the Wilds, the Hero of Time and the Hero of Winds. Also, there's the Hero King, Marth, bringing our total to 6. There might be more, but we'd have to do our research, and we don't currently have time for that, based on the time zone we're in.

D

Deleted member

So, I only beat P5 for the first time a couple of days ago. Is showing the twins around the gym a new addition, or is that just a choice I missed somewhere along the line?

Also, Joker dancing is...not to my liking.
And Aketchi looks really cool. Why couldn't he look like this instead of a toucan in P5?
Showing the twins around in the real world is a new addition.

And as for the second question, Akechi did look like this though. His red/white outfit with Robin Hood was just him faking his identity from the Phantom Thieves and his black outfit was his true appearance. Do keep in mind that multiple Shadows (like Madarame) did mention a black masked individual entering the cognitive world. If anything, Akechi having that outfit in the above trailer means he will survive this time around and potentially become a full party member.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Showing the twins around in the real world is a new addition.

And as for the second question, Akechi did look like this though. His red/white outfit with Robin Hood was just him faking his identity from the Phantom Thieves and his black outfit was his true appearance. Do keep in mind that multiple Shadows (like Madarame) did mention a black masked individual entering the cognitive world. If anything, Akechi having that outfit in the above trailer means he will survive this time around and potentially become a full party member.
Yeah, I mainly meant why didn't we have *this* Akechi. But good observation, to be fair, we still don't know for certain if Akechi died or not. I'm just disappointed we got lame Akechi and not cool, evil Akechi.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So did anyone else notice that in the Joker Trailer, Black Mask Akechi seems to have more HP and SP than everyone else in that group, I think it was like that in a previous trailer as well.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So did anyone else notice that in the Joker Trailer, Black Mask Akechi seems to have more HP and SP than everyone else in that group, I think it was like that in a previous trailer as well.
Well, he would need plenty of resources if he was taking on palaces by himself for so long.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It makes sense. Akechi was freaky strong in his battle against the Phantom Thieves, so him being a monster on the field is kinda expected. Plus, it seems that there is some point where it's just Joker and Akechi in the party, so Joker needs a powerhouse backing him up without the others to help. I just wonder how they will balance it.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Well, he would need plenty of resources if he was taking on palaces by himself for so long.
I hope they dive a little deeper into that. Like, I want one of his 'specialties' to be just breaking palaces. I want there to be a big gate keeping the Phantom Thieves out, and he just like, shoots a guard or something and the gate opens. Because he obviously didn't finish the palaces the same way the Thieves did.

D

Deleted member

So many spoilertags, it looks kinda funny.

But changing subject for a bit, I just hope they buff Yusuke. Just giving him Charge or Concentrate would help already. I get his whole gimmick was the Baton Pass, but when you can't reliable abuse weaknesses (aka most bosses) to initiate one, he's kinda bad. Your best bet then amounts to using Lucky/Miracle Punch and praying to RNG for a crit. And even if you can hit weaknesses, you're better off going for an All-Out Attack whenever possible. Ryuji is so much better being the physical attacker with him learning Charge and (Ma-)Tarukaja. And even on the magic side, Yusuke doesn't even get Ice Boost/Amp nor Ice Break.

amageish

Smash Master
So, the President of Sony Japan was a guest speaker at a Japanese Persona event, which is now going viral because, well, it implies Persona and Sony are closer then we may think.

I still have no idea how copyright for this series works, but I guess I should start saving up for a PS5 just to play Persona 6 now...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just watched the newest Persona warriors trailer.

I need this last surprise remix injected into my veins stat.

So, the President of Sony Japan was a guest speaker at a Japanese Persona event, which is now going viral because, well, it implies Persona and Sony are closer then we may think.

I still have no idea how copyright for this series works, but I guess I should start saving up for a PS5 just to play Persona 6 now...
So basically Joker is technically the Sony rep like how Banjo is a Microsoft rep. Got it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But not close enough to be considered on the same level as their first-parties. I imagine that those are off-limits from Smash until further notice, from their perspective.

Edit: Tokyo Mirage Sessions has been given a second chance!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'll formally predict this here: TMS#FEE will have P5-themed costumes for characters, which will be regular used in advertisements to be like "HEY! YOU LIKED JOKER IN SMASH! YOU WILL LIKE THIS PLEASE!".

I mean, the original game had a very weird selection of ATLUS fanservice costumes (basically just characters from 3DS ATLUS games, to the point where Rei from PQ was the only Persona outfit). So, I feel like they'll expand them this game. I'm hoping for something from Trauma Centre, as that series has been MIA for a while.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The old opening was perfection.

This one, while still perfectly fine and pleasing enough to look at, feels like it's trying a bit too hard to top the original.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The old opening was perfection.

This one, while still perfectly fine and pleasing enough to look at, feels like it's trying a bit too hard to top the original.
You could say that about the entirety of P5R to be fair.

I'm, uh, not really looking forward to it. It feels so weird and unnecessary.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I wouldn't go that far. Persona 5 is not without flaws. I am looking forward to them expanding some of the side activities the Thieves did in P5, more screentime for certain characters, an expansion on Akechi and his story(Because they left that whole thing very open for something like P5R), and just some more Persona 5 goodness.

amageish

Smash Master
Opening was released. Thoughts?

Also, more Smash Cut-ins! I wonder how many more there is left for him to do.
I really like it. I honestly found the original one kind of lackluster visually, versus the quality of the rest of the game, so I like this far more.

While I disagree, I kind of get that sentiment. ATLUS is really weird with this trend of expended remakes, especially with how many they release on the same consoles as the original...

I honestly recall finishing P5 and thinking "Well, can't wait for the expanded version!," but the base game was also perfect in its simplicity. I just love Persona's approach to filler and really want more of the Thieves hanging out and having downtime... Plus, when a game's main symbolism is based on a duotheistic religion and it ends with you killing only one god.... While it's not necessarily "necessary," I still feel like they had an enhanced version in mind when they made the original.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
D

Deleted member

Opening was released. Thoughts?

Also, more Smash Cut-ins! I wonder how many more there is left for him to do.
I like the new intro! I do like the old one as well, but I think the new one might grow with me over time.
I do appreciate how the new intro gives more screentime to all of the Thieves... my problem with the original was that they gave too much of it to Joker, Ryuji, Ann, Morgana, and Yusuke with one small scene of Futaba, Makoto, and Haru (with the latter two you might miss).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, uh, not to pour :shaker: on an old wound, but Catherine Full Body is out now. Has anyone here inspected it for any changes yet? Also, when I visited a specialty game store recently, I found the clerk's description of the game's premise to customers funny, specifically the "Some aged guy is with a boring girl" part.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know the episode of SpongeBob where Squidward has never eaten a Krabby Patty, think's it's overhyped garbage, tries it for the first time, and quickly realized that it really was all it's cracked up to be and learned it's amazing?

I'm only a little bit past Kamoshida so don't give me too many spoilers, please, (though Smash has given away who I'll be getting), but I can really relate to Squidward right now (though I could understand the P5 hype from the beginning). Not really with Joker himself though, he doesn't impress compared to his party members. In fact I enjoy pretty much the entire cast besides Caroline more than him. It's just something about Caroline's voice... I also find her way too rude.

I really wish I'd played it before Smash put him in, so I wouldn't have been half as bummed. Too early for P5 Royal, too late to want him in Smash... what am I Justine time for?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know the episode of SpongeBob where Squidward has never eaten a Krabby Patty, think's it's overhyped garbage, tries it for the first time, and quickly realized that it really was all it's cracked up to be and learned it's amazing?

I'm only a little bit past Kamoshida so don't give me too many spoilers, please, (though Smash has given away who I'll be getting), but I can really relate to Squidward right now (though I could understand the P5 hype from the beginning). Not really with Joker himself though, he doesn't impress compared to his party members. In fact I enjoy pretty much the entire cast besides Caroline more than him. It's just something about Caroline's voice... I also find her way too rude.

I really wish I'd played it before Smash put him in, so I wouldn't have been half as bummed. Too early for P5 Royal, too late to want him in Smash... what am I Justine time for?
Don't worry, Caroline tends to grow on people. As for Joker, not to much he can do about that, considering he is a silent protag. He is a master of swagger though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I hope you enjoy it! I was in a similar situation as you (Smash gave away the party members, but beyond that, I knew very little going in aside from the Smash Ultimate Social Thread spoiling me on one plot twist), and I loved the game.

You're just in time to enjoy a great game! Also, once you're finished, Persona Q2 came out pretty recently, and that should hopefully help with introducing you to the casts of Persona 3 and 4, which might get you into those. Addiction is a powerful thing.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I thought the Sayuri artwork was an apple until palace 2! I had no idea that was a person. I couldn’t make out her facial features.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Geoff Keighley's shown his hand.

Pretty soon, it'll be a year since that time. The time when I stayed up late (against better judgement), hoping for CTR and Smash announcements. The time when leakers were thrown off-guard. The time when I made sure my excitement was quiet enough to not wake up people near me.

You almost had it, why does it have to be on a Thursday?

Last edited:
Top Bottom