• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

That's a great idea! I always knew that Joker/Ren could still work as an assist trophy. But how would fans react to Joker/Ren being an assist trophy? I would be happy, that he isn't a playable character, but I would be still glad he's in the game.
Every character can work as an Assist Trophy, that's not a huge accomplishment. But to be honest, I find it kinda petty, disrespectful even, that you come to the Joker thread and flat out say you'd be happy about him being cut as a playable character. But let's entertain your train of thought for a bit.

There are two different ways this question can be answered, it all depends on context. Joker, before release, was thought to be very improbable, so having someone who is seen to be impossible still show up as an AT would be considered a win. But this is not what happened, Joker made it as a playable character and turning him into an AT would not only be a "demotion", so to say, but also cut an unique character. I think it goes without saying that this wouldn't go over well.

Also I might not post a lot, but even I've noticed how much you like to bring Joker up. It's been over half a year since his announcement in December, don't you think it's time to let it go?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Every character can work as an Assist Trophy, that's not a huge accomplishment. But to be honest, I find it kinda petty, disrespectful even, that you come to the Joker thread and flat out say you'd be happy about him being cut as a playable character. But let's entertain your train of thought for a bit.

There are two different ways this question can be answered, it all depends on context. Joker, before release, was thought to be very improbable, so having someone who is seen to be impossible still show up as an AT would be considered a win. But this is not what happened, Joker made it as a playable character and turning him into an AT would not only be a "demotion", so to say, but also cut an unique character. I think it goes without saying that this wouldn't go over well.

Also I might not post a lot, but even I've noticed how much you like to bring Joker up. It's been over half a year since his announcement in December, don't you think it's time to let it go?
I can let it go and deal with Joker/Ren being playable. And I don't even know if playable characters can be cut and relegated to assist trophies in sequels.

Also, Joker has been the only playable character in the Fighter's Pass that has been a heartbreaker for me. I'm glad to see Hero and Banjo as playable characters though.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can let it go and deal with Joker/Ren being playable. And I don't even know if playable characters can be cut and relegated to assist trophies in sequels.

Also, Joker has been the only playable character in the Fighter's Pass that has been a heartbreaker for me. I'm glad to see Hero and Banjo as playable characters though.
Man when you're old enough to play Persona 5 I hope you change your tune. He's a wonderful character that made a big impact on a lot of people.

StormC

Smash Hero
I can let it go and deal with Joker/Ren being playable.
You obviously can't because you continue to bring it up, constantly over and over.

Joker is in the game as a playable character and will never, ever be an Assist Trophy. Get over it and stop with this "iconic" nonsense. Nobody cares.

I don't like Corrin's inclusion in Smash but you don't see me posting in their thread saying their character shouldn't be playable.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You obviously can't because you continue to bring it up, constantly over and over.

Joker is in the game as a playable character and will never, ever be an Assist Trophy. Get over it and stop with this "iconic" nonsense. Nobody cares.

I don't like Corrin's inclusion in Smash but you don't see me posting in their thread saying their character shouldn't be playable.
Your quotes are hillarious! Also, I didn't really care about Corrin becoming playable back in the good old days of Smash 4.

Also if Joker/Ren wasn't included in the game at all, I would be fine, if Joker/Ren was just a spirit, I would be fine, if Joker/Ren was an assist, I would be happy, but if Joker/Ren is playable, I'm upset. But I will deal with that and let it go.

Man when you're old enough to play Persona 5 I hope you change your tune. He's a wonderful character that made a big impact on a lot of people.
Although I'm old enough, I can't as of now because I don't have a playstation 4. But I have a Switch and previously wii and wii u.

And for now, no I don't predict I will change my opinions, even after playing Persona. But also, why or how can a character who is moderately, but not highly iconic merit to be playable?

Here are my quotes from another thread.
So here's the evolution of 3rd party playable character rules. Break the rule for once and it opens the floodgates for all.

You can only have one rep per company. Then add Ryu. The rule is removed.

You need to have a significant history with Nintnedo. Then add Cloud. The rule is removed.

You need to have a complete series. Then add Bayonetta. The rule is removed.

You can only have one rep per franchise. Then add Richter. The rule is removed.

You need to be significantly iconic. Then add Joker/Ren. The rule is removed.
And Also I wonder, since Joker/Ren is moderately iconic, but not highly iconic, did adding him just open the door to moderately-mildly, but not highly iconic characters? like Frisk, Shantae, Jibanyan, Fatal Frame Protagonist, Shovel Knight, Quote (cave story), Beck (mighty no 9), Lilac (freedom planet), etc.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I can let it go and deal with Joker/Ren being playable.
Then please do so.

You're not really contributing to the discussion aside from aggravating other members here. If you'd like to discuss the possibility of other characters joining the roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or future Smash Brothers titles, I recommend looking at the Newcomer Speculation sub-forum and discussing within the threads there.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Then please do so.

You're not really contributing to the discussion aside from aggravating other members here. If you'd like to discuss the possibility of other characters joining the roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or future Smash Brothers titles, I recommend looking at the Newcomer Speculation sub-forum and discussing within the threads there.
Also, having Joker/Ren as a playable character wasn't even a problem in the first place.

Jayordan

Smash Cadet
Also, having Joker/Ren as a playable character wasn't even a problem in the first place.
If its not a problem, why are you still here complaining about it? Its been like 9 months now. Give it up. Joker is not going to be an assist trophy.

You keep saying he's only "moderately iconic" yet Persona 5 was nominated for 4 VGA's the year it came out. It won best RPG of 2017, and was nominated for art direction, soundtrack, and Game of the year. Persona isn't some small thing, people definitely know what it is. Its more well known than dragon quest in the west even, yet you're totally okay with hero being in as you have previously stated.

I don't see how you can sit here and say this yet you think characters that are so obscure you have to list their series name behind them are more well known today. That's just now true. Its dumb of you to come to the joker thread and whine like a child because ONE character on the pass isn't what you wanted. You even said you really liked Banjo and Hero getting in. you are 2-1 right now in terms of DLC characters, how can you be mad that one you don't like is in? It just seems really petty and again makes you look like a child.

You seem obsessed with being upset about one characters's inclusion in a game that has almost 80 characters. Stop. Seriously please find a better use of your time, you coming here and whining and crying over one character you don't like speaks volumes about how low your level of maturity is.

D

Deleted member

If it's not a problem, why are you still at this? Are you some troll trying to get a kick out of us?

There are several characters on the roster that I rather not be there, but I don't storm into their threads saying how much I hate them. It's a waste of my time to do so because they are in the game; I can't undo that.

Calling Joker "moderately iconic" is a massive understatement to how big Persona 5 is, or heck how big Persona is in general. Did you know that Persona is a spin-off series of Shin Megami Tensei? In the first few releases they would have that title placed in front of the Persona games (Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 for example), but they eventually dropped it when Persona became so popular and even more iconic than the franchise it's a spin-off of. Persona is the first third party sub-series to be included in Smash, that should speak volumes on the impact Persona has.
I digress though. Joker isn't "moderately iconic." He is iconic. He is everywhere and he is here to stay in the public eye and he will grow once P5R releases.

This is a game with like... 80 characters in it and you constantly argue and complain about just one of them? You need to grow up, and honestly it's getting annoying that it has been going on for months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Anyone want to have a guess as to when P5R will get released in the west?

I'm hoping it's before March because FF7R comes out then, and the following months after that, people could be deciding it's either FF7R, or P5R.

I'll be getting both, but I do want P5R to do well.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If it's not a problem, why are you still at this? Are you some troll trying to get a kick out of us?
I'm not trying to threaten you at all.
There are several characters on the roster that I rather not be there, but I don't storm into their threads saying how much I hate them. It's a waste of my time to do so because they are in the game; I can't undo that.

Calling Joker "moderately iconic" is a massive understatement to how big Persona 5 is, or heck how big Persona is in general. Did you know that Persona is a spin-off series of Shin Megami Tensei? In the first few releases they would have that title placed in front of the Persona games (Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 for example), but they eventually dropped it when Persona became so popular and even more iconic than the franchise it's a spin-off of. Persona is the first third party sub-series to be included in Smash, that should speak volumes on the impact Persona has.
I digress though. Joker isn't "moderately iconic." He is iconic. He is everywhere and he is here to stay in the public eye and he will grow once P5R releases.

This is a game with like... 80 characters in it and you constantly argue and complain about just one of them? You need to grow up, and honestly it's getting annoying that it has been going on for months.
You quotes are hillarious! I think I need to just move on from this mini not-so predicament. And also, I can also think of at least 5 more characters that would make worse addition for me than Joker/Ren. But I won't rant about Joker/Ren any further.

On the other hand, at least having Joker/Ren is better than Shantae, Frisk, Shovel Knight, Fatal Frame Protagonist, Quote (Cave Story) etc. Well if the roles of Yuri or Shovel Knight as an assist trophy and Joker as a fighter were swapped, I would be even more upset.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Anyone want to have a guess as to when P5R will get released in the west?

I'm hoping it's before March because FF7R comes out then, and the following months after that, people could be deciding it's either FF7R, or P5R.

I'll be getting both, but I do want P5R to do well.
The turnaround for P4G was 5 months. I'd guess something like that, maybe a bit more since it's a much meatier game.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The last time I checked this thread was like... 3 pages ago. Why in the world is that assist trophy guy back? How did the conversation get back to THAT? Of all things. Just ignore them.

With that being said, I haven't kept track of P5R as much I'd like to (it's a day 1 buy for me regardless). As an expansion of sorts, I hope it makes more people Ann fans.

So far, Joker hasn't been nerfed. I'm liking the balance of Ultimate so far.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So far, Joker hasn't been nerfed. I'm liking the balance of Ultimate so far.
Actually he got a tiny nerf in the latest patch that is inconsequential really.

Arsene can't reflect 50% projectiles or something like that.

For the most part, Ultimate is the most balanced smash game so far. I think they just need to cool it with the nerfs (they heavily nerfed Ivysaur recently) and just stick to buffs really.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

For the most part, Ultimate is the most balanced smash game so far. I think they just need to cool it with the nerfs (they heavily nerfed Ivysaur recently) and just stick to buffs really.
Yes, because while the top tiers aren't completely busted (well, not yet, I wouldn't be surprised if some are dancing near the line), there are some lower tier characters that are considered in need of buffs for varying reasons

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You made me laugh! Also, the real reason why I don't want him to be playable is because he's moderately iconic, but not highly iconic.
If he’s not “Highly iconic” then why do developers keep asking for him to be in their games?

KatKit

Smash Lord

Agreed. I know; essentially, he can't reflect powerful reflected projectiles back. In Ivy's defense, Charizard got buffs to compensate. Though I agree (jank aside), hopefully they (continue) focusing on buffing weaker characters. Although if they do nerf Joker, I think he'd still be very solid if they only focused on tweaking Arsene a bit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

There is a rumor that the possibility of future DLC mostly depends on if balance can be achieved correctly (i.e. not nearly as bad as 4 did with :ultbayonetta:) as far as the current batch goes, so that's promising enough to hear.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I really hope that Royal buffs Yusuke's moveset. Maybe giving him Ice Amp skills and Charge would be a good place to start.

KatKit

Smash Lord
You're correct despite him being popular, but which developers are you talking about?
So far, P5 collaborated with Nintendo, Cygames (Granblue), Capcom (Dragon's Dogma), Square Enix (Lord of Vermilion), Sora Ltd. (Smash), NetEase (Identity V), and Koei Tecmo (P5 Scramble). They'll collab with ArcSys when the inevitable P5Arena is out

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So far, P5 collaborated with Nintendo, Cygames (Granblue), Capcom (Dragon's Dogma), Square Enix (Lord of Vermilion), Sora Ltd. (Smash), NetEase (Identity V), and Koei Tecmo (P5 Scramble). They'll collab with ArcSys when the inevitable P5Arena is out
The reason why developers want him in the game despite him only being moderately iconic is probably because he's popular, but popular doesn't make him more iconic. That's it.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The reason why developers want him in the game despite him only being moderately iconic is probably because he's popular, but popular doesn't make him more iconic. That's it.
He's an established brand name - the face of a well-received franchise from a universally praised game with a good chunk of sales with ever increasing popularity with sequels/remakes/spinoffs/cameos (and more on the way). You do not know what iconic means. He's iconic as heck, especially for a relatively recent character.

Darn it, how'd I take the bait? I'm done here. In the meantime, I'm going to continue enjoying using a character who easily deserves his spot in Smash as a playable rep.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Stop biting guys lol. He’s used the word “iconic” so much it has no meaning anymore.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
He's an established brand name - the face of a well-received franchise from a universally praised game with a good chunk of sales with ever increasing popularity with sequels/remakes/spinoffs/cameos (and more on the way). You do not know what iconic means. He's iconic as heck, especially for a relatively recent character.

Darn it, how'd I take the bait? I'm done here. In the meantime, I'm going to continue enjoying using a character who easily deserves his spot in Smash as a playable rep.
Okay! I'm going to move on from this now.

And also, not complaining, but am I the only one who wants Joker to be an assist trophy, or even just a spirit (although spirits don't deconfirm)?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay! I'm going to move on from this now.

And also, not complaining, but am I the only one who wants Joker to be an assist trophy, or even just a spirit (although spirits don't deconfirm)?
That second part of your post (starting with "And also...") makes it clear that you're not moving on, and that you are complaining. Nobody in a character support thread would want the character that they support (one who is already in the game) to be demoted to an assist trophy or a static image. Stop it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've noticed they are making Nendoroid figures of the remaining P5 cast members now but I haven't seen a Haru one.

Silly goose, Joker IS a spirit. :D

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
That second part of your post (starting with "And also...") makes it clear that you're not moving on, and that you are complaining. Nobody in a character support thread would want the character that they support (one who is already in the game) to be demoted to an assist trophy or a static image. Stop it.
It's time to let it go!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yes, you are.

No one else is this hellbent on not having him be in the game at all as you are, he earned his inclusion and you’re going to have to live with that fact for the rest of your life.

Get over yourself.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Let's not go into other threads to repeat yourself continuously like this
Yes, you are.

No one else is this hellbent on not having him be in the game at all as you are, he earned his inclusion and you’re going to have to live with that fact for the rest of your life.

Get over yourself.
I think I might only have to live with it, and I can, but probably not forever, only for about a long term. And also, at least it's better than having Goku, who I also want as an assist trophy, but he is deconfirmed for good.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
1565910397319.png

Look at this Persona! Such sass/class! Haru just went up a couple of tiers on my Phantom Thief tier list. I'm so glad that P5R will give her a little more time to shine.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A new trailer has been released. No major in-game revelations, but it does add more context to the Kasumi casino scene and reveals the time frame P5R will be released in the west.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Spring 2020?!

B-b-but I need the game now!
And since the game comes out on Halloween for Japan, that is quite the amount of time to avoid spoilers. It's not a bother for me(I am rather lax when it comes to being spoiled on things like this), but I can understand how that can be a problem for people.

D

Deleted member

A new trailer has been released. No major in-game revelations, but it does add more context to the Kasumi casino scene and reveals the time frame P5R will be released in the west.
I'm not sure why Sega can't help with Atlus to make it a worldwide release, but this gives me more than enough time to do every house in FE Three Houses. (which, BTW, is REALLY good and I highly recommend it)

I will say though, staying away from new plot spoilers for a few months is like walking through a minefield.

Top Bottom