• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

osby

Smash Obsessed
So...
Since Akechi's confidant seems to be detached from the story now, I wonder if that will effect in-story events. That's definitely a major change.
They can just keep the old scenes and not give them any confidant ranks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
They can just keep the old scenes and not give them any confidant ranks.
True, but by the end, the scenes have the context that there was a bond being formed and acted as such. Now, that is entirely optional.
Edit:
Oh, amageish amageish , I actually saw a leak for BBTAG from someone who is typically right on this soryt of thing. Not getting into specifics, but I have one thing to say about what I know...
I am satisfied.

Though, you might see this well after the DLC revealed. I have no clue when that reveal will happen, so it's possible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm finally able to play Persona 5 after all these years. Didn't have the money back then and never imagined that the PS3 version would be so hard to find for a reasonable price later on, but then again, I should've expected that, considering it came out years after the PS4 was already on the market...

Luckily I managed to stay mostly spoiler free with the exception of the traitor, although to be fair, it's not like they're subtle about who it is either. So far I'm really loving the game, much more than P4G even and that's the only game I ever cared getting a platinum trophy for, not to mention, the reason I bought the Vita back then.

As for Persona 5, I'm currently past the 4th palace (that part was heavy), just after the beach event, doing some requests in Mementos while grinding for money. So far I also managed to max out Ryuji's and Toranosuke's confidants. I gotta admit, I really enjoy the cast of this game much more than the one of P4, although Teddie > Mona. I'm just not a big fan of Morgana. Special mention goes to Yusuke, who I thought I wouldn't like based on pre-release material and him trying to blackmail Ann into being a nude model early on. Though when compared to later, it seems really OoC for him and he becomes much more likeable and funny.

Speaking of OoC, this game's Velvet Room is... weird:
I can't shake off the feeling that Igor in this game is... off? He has a much deeper voice this time. I know VAs get changed from time to time, but wouldn't you try to find a substitute that sounds similar? He doesn't really sound like an... Igor, for lack of better word, but a chain smoker instead.

Another part is his greeting. Maybe it's a localisation goof, but Igor never said "Welcome to my Velvet Room", but "the Velvet Room". I even checked in case I misremembered (I've only played a bit of P3P and all of P4G), but he's always greeted you like that since P2 (he didn't at all in P1, but did say "this Velvet Room"), In short, Igor never claimed the room to be his and such a localisation goof would be very odd, given how much more mainstream Persona is nowadays and how much care was put into it.

Lastly, he does appear to be slightly sadistic in this game? When fusing Persona he sometimes chuckles "This might get a bit gruesome" as if he's enjoying it. Which is pretty odd given that Igor is one of the very few supernatural guys who are, without a doubt, on the good side. Hell, that's part of the reason why I like Igor so much and why all of that sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

Speaking of fusions, there's also the fact that Igor in this game doesn't fuse your Personas at all, instead it's the twins doing the work, which is also a first in the series. In fact, this Igor seems to be quite distant, literally and figuratively. In previous games, you sat face to face with him, in this game, he doesn't even know what his assistants are doing, if their confidant is any indication.

So if I were to speculate, I can think of a few reasons:
  • Localisation goofs (which I find unlikely given how much care was put into the game)
  • Shoddy writing (even more unlikely)
  • Igor is brainwashed
  • Igor is a fake, which would explain the weird OoC moments and his different voice. In fact, wasn't this done in a MGS game when Sutherland replaced Hayter? I'm not into MGS, but I remember reading something like this. Could be misremembering though.
I just really like Igor, so seeing him like this is odd.
Also now I can totally understand people who were disappointed that "Life Will Change" isn't in Smash, even worse because it was in Joker's teaser trailer back in December.

D

Deleted member

P5R just went gold!

Hopefully we get lucky and they push the release to later this year instead of earlier next year.

The sooner I finally get my hands in P5 is hopefully the better.

amageish

Smash Master
I have certainly had moments like that.

Definitely, though I feel Hero is more quick to burn out and reignite than Joker.

I have. I doubt we will get all of those characters, but if just a fraction of the RWBY names said could get in, I would be happy.
Yeah, that is true. Hero is definitely less actively in the cat-and-mouse game then Joker is.

I also doubt it'll be everyone, though I am excited by the knowledge that many characters are being considered. I also feel like they do need to drop a LOT of announcements at EVO if they want to wake the game's community back up, as holy moly have updates been sparse these past months.

I haven't heard of any leaks, but I will keep myself uncertain for now. I'll wait for the surprise. :-D

And, uh, wow. Those trailers for P5R couldn't have more basegame spoilers if they tried at this point. It's still looking to be a fantastic game though.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
One year ago, we were all pleading for Joker to join the biggest crossover in gaming history, despite his very slim odds.

Now a year later, Joker won the biggest Smash tournament to date, at EVO 2019 of all places.

We truly live in the best timeline.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One year ago, we were all pleading for Joker to join the biggest crossover in gaming history, despite his very slim odds.

Now a year later, Joker won the biggest Smash tournament to date, at EVO 2019 of all places.

****ing magical, man. To see a character I never thought would get in but was the one I wanted the most not only make it to Evo but win? This is something special.

D

Deleted member

I'm extremely happy that Joker won EVO!

But, not to sound like a downer, I am worried that more and more people are going to cry for Joker nerfs. I haven't played Ultimate in a long time because whenever I set up an Arena I always get the most obnoxious players who taint my experience. It's like I can't be happy with my main and my dream came true...

But still, congrats to MkLeo on the win.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I'm extremely happy that Joker won EVO!

But, not to sound like a downer, I am worried that more and more people are going to cry for Joker nerfs. I haven't played Ultimate in a long time because whenever I set up an Arena I always get the most obnoxious players who taint my experience. It's like I can't be happy with my main and my dream came true...

But still, congrats to MkLeo on the win.
Honestly I think people overestimate how good Joker actually is. Don't get me wrong, he's still incredibly viable, but he's nowhere near as much of a dominant force in Ultimate's meta as Brawl Meta Knight or Sm4sh Bayonetta. If he were, we'd be seeing more Jokers besides MkLeo making it into Top 32. It's just that MkLeo is a really good player who knows how to use Joker to his fullest. Still, Joker nerfs are almost inevitable at this point, since they usually nerf the highest performing characters eventually *cries in Ivysaur*

But for real, EVO was fantastic this year! The character diversity was great and I'm estatic that our boy Joker won. It really reminded me just how fun Ultimate is to watch

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Honestly I think people overestimate how good Joker actually is. Don't get me wrong, he's still incredibly viable, but he's nowhere near as much of a dominant force in Ultimate's meta as Brawl Meta Knight or Sm4sh Bayonetta. If he were, we'd be seeing more Jokers besides MkLeo making it into Top 32. It's just that MkLeo is a really good player who knows how to use Joker to his fullest. Still, Joker nerfs are almost inevitable at this point, since they usually nerf the highest performing characters eventually *cries in Ivysaur*

But for real, EVO was fantastic this year! The character diversity was great and I'm estatic that our boy Joker won. It really reminded me just how fun Ultimate is to watch
Sadly it goes like this if a new character appears and nobody can even see their flaws and just say they're op.

amageish

Smash Master
So, one RWBY character got revealed. Also, where were you when it was revealed that a crossover has you fight a literal tank?
Yeah, we've been discussing it over in Kasumi's thread. I like the literal tank. I am very excited for Yukiko to slap a tank to death.

He'll definitely be hit at some point, yeah. I would hope the balancing team wouldn't just listen to randos complaining on the internet though...

EVO was super fun! I really enjoyed the set of games too. It was nice seeing Under Night In-Birth get some love and the games all stood out in their own unique ways.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yeah, we've been discussing it over in Kasumi's thread. I like the literal tank. I am very excited for Yukiko to slap a tank to death.
In all seriousness, I imagine the tank is going to be somewhat mechanically unusual for BBTAG. Don't know what the limits will be though.

Also, BBTAG promotional art has been released. Artist is apparently Konomi Higuchi.

(Weird this one is slightly low res compared to the rest)

Souce:
https://twitter.com/TFGBBTAGNEWS/status/1158450119500394498

amageish

Smash Master
In all seriousness, I imagine the tank is going to be somewhat mechanically unusual for BBTAG. Don't know what the limits will be though.

Also, BBTAG promotional art has been released. Artist is apparently Konomi Higuchi.

(Weird this one is slightly low res compared to the rest)

Souce:
https://twitter.com/TFGBBTAGNEWS/status/1158450119500394498
One assumes, yes. I'm interested in seeing how a tank will effect the meta lol.

I like the art! I guess we may get Senran Kagura and the Tank series later in a duo? Or maybe they're waiting to show off some unannounced newcomers. I'd be very surprised if Hyde wasn't in one of them.

StormC

Smash Hero
After Joker won EVO I picked him up again and am feeling him a lot more than before. Could definitely make him my secondary to K. Rool. Jumping and shooting is one of the most satisfying moves in all of Smash.

Main thing I need to get a grip on is not panicking when Arsene is out and rushing to get some damage in before I lose my meter.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Guess what guys?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sleep is for the weak.

D

Deleted member

I find it awesome that Persona and Dragon Quest had the same number of spirits in Ultimate.

Both series have badass artwork.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm not going to rant about why Joker/Ren should be an assist trophy anymore. But if he was an assist trophy, my idea for him would be to run around the stage and rapid punches opponents via Arsene.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not going to rant about why Joker/Ren should be an assist trophy anymore. But if he was an assist trophy, my idea for him would be to run around the stage and rapid punches opponents via Arsene.
Arsene doesn't do that, though. That sounds more like Stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure rather than Personas.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Arsene doesn't do that, though. That sounds more like Stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure rather than Personas.
Yes that's what it's based on. That's a good way to minimize Joker's moveset to make him an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know, but I based my concept on a what-if scenario.
A what-if scenario like that has no basis in reality. That's like saying "what if they made Richter Belmont an assist trophy where he runs around swinging a sword?" or "what if they made a Ryu assist trophy where he uses Chun-Li's Lightning Legs attack?" It would make no sense, and have nothing to do with the character.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
A what-if scenario like that has no basis in reality. That's like saying "what if they made Richter Belmont an assist trophy where he runs around swinging a sword?" or "what if they made a Ryu assist trophy where he uses Chun-Li's Lightning Legs attack?" It would make no sense, and have nothing to do with the character.
Actually, by logic, it what-if scenarios would still make sense. Cause I mean like Joker could be able to learn how to use the stand rush with his Arsene.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Actually, by logic, it what-if scenarios would still make sense. Cause I mean like Joker could be able to learn how to use the stand rush with his Arsene.
He could theoretically do it (and the same thing goes for the examples that I provided - Richter could use a sword, in theory, and Ryu could figure out how to attack like that), but he never did so in any Persona games, and it would make no sense for him to randomly do so in Smash Bros. just to fulfill your bizarre obsession with making him into an assist trophy.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
He could theoretically do it (and the same thing goes for the examples that I provided - Richter could use a sword, in theory, and Ryu could figure out how to attack like that), but he never did so in any Persona games, and it would make no sense for him to randomly do so in Smash Bros. just to fulfill your bizarre obsession with making him into an assist trophy.
Do you have any other ideas for how Jokef/Ren could work as an assist trophy?

D

Deleted member

I mean, in a purely speculative "what if" scenario, making Joker a generic Assist Trophy isn't hard. An example would be him summoning a random Persona to attack. For example, Jack Frost could use Mabufu, creating an icy whirlwind like Suicune in Melee, Arsene could use Eigaon, trapping an enemy in a vortex, like PK Fire does. The possibilities are endless due to the sheer amount of Personas and AT are nothing more than rebranded Pokeballs, most of the time.

Of course when it comes to Assist Trophies, and due to Joker being in Smash, a better choice would be either Ryuji, this games best bud of the protagonist or Futaba, who is this games navigator. Ryuji is a brawler who likes to get close, but to differentiate him from, let's say, Waluigi or the Sable Prince, he could shoot weak lightning bolts that stun the enemy, making it harder to escape. Futaba on the other hand could act like Xerneas or Victini, giving you (or your team in team battles) a random buff or heal some damage.

Of course they could also go for a more generic route and not have any character be an AT and instead go a demon only. Some of the more iconic Personas/demons would include the Jack family (mostly Frost, followed by Pyro), Cerberus (would be a nice shout out to the beginning of the entire MegaTen franchise), the main characters' Personas (Orpheus, Izanagi, Arsene) and Yo****sune for it's famous gamebreaking status, maybe Decarabia, Matador, Pixie and Alice as well). But whether you have someone summon the demons or have them without a human character attached would just be a cosmetic decision in the end.

There's also the possibility that I'm putting way too much effort into thinking about this.

He could theoretically do it (and the same thing goes for the examples that I provided - Richter could use a sword, in theory.
It's funny to me that you keep bringing up Richter using a sword because that was actually Simon's level 3 weapon in the arcade version of Castlevania (or Haunted Castle, as it is known). Not that I'm disagreeing with you, mind you, in fact I'm a tad disappointed in how Joker plays in Smash, with Arsene being just a glorified Limit Break. But I don't wanna go into detail right now, maybe another time.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I mean, in a purely speculative "what if" scenario, making Joker a generic Assist Trophy isn't hard. An example would be him summoning a random Persona to attack. For example, Jack Frost could use Mabufu, creating an icy whirlwind like Suicune in Melee, Arsene could use Eigaon, trapping an enemy in a vortex, like PK Fire does. The possibilities are endless due to the sheer amount of Personas and AT are nothing more than rebranded Pokeballs, most of the time.
That's a great idea! I always knew that Joker/Ren could still work as an assist trophy. But how would fans react to Joker/Ren being an assist trophy? I would be happy, that he isn't a playable character, but I would be still glad he's in the game.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, I'm a guy who likes Assist Trophies as long as they accurately represent the character to a fun degree. I want Alucard playable but his assist trophy is perfect. If Joker was an assist trophy I expect he'd either show up and do a smaller version of his final smash, the All Out Attack, or jump around shooting opponents only to end with summoning Arsene and using some magic.

But also, he's playable right now so it's kind of pointless to talk like this. I seriously don't understand why you're unhappy that he's playable but supposedly still want him as an assist trophy. It's pure salt, man.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Look, I'm a guy who likes Assist Trophies as long as they accurately represent the character to a fun degree. I want Alucard playable but his assist trophy is perfect. If Joker was an assist trophy I expect he'd either show up and do a smaller version of his final smash, the All Out Attack, or jump around shooting opponents only to end with summoning Arsene and using some magic.

But also, he's playable right now so it's kind of pointless to talk like this. I seriously don't understand why you're unhappy that he's playable but supposedly still want him as an assist trophy. It's pure salt, man.
I want him to be an assist trophy because I don't want him to be playable, but I still want him to be included in the game. And also, it has nothing to do with Joker being less iconic than Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Simon, Ryu, Sora, Bomberman, Cloud, Reimu, Kyo (king of fighters), etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom