• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Ohhhhhhh, shoot, you're probably right. Damn, and I wanted the Phantom Thieves as a unit as a primary.
Yeah, sadly, Morgana, Ryuji, Ann, Yusuke, and Haru are the only primary spirit options.

So, to wax poetically briefly... This has been a long ride everyone! I'm kinda amazed we're here, even as Joker is playable (for those who win the connection lottery). This has been my first real foray into active online Smash speculation and it's been a blast. Thanks for all the fun speculation everyone~!

Whia

Smash Apprentice
I did something I saw online and it worked for me:

1. If you have a physical copy of the game. Take out the cartridge
2. Delete software (you will not loose your datas)
3. Put the cartridge in the switch and try to download the update.
I bought digital and tried this and it still worked.

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
It seems like all's well now. I couldn't be happier honestly, even if I don't have a Switch, this character I've rammed my highschool friends across the head with since 2017 about being in Smash is actually here, I still remember being called delusional on Discord and being told that the farthest he'd ever go was BBTAG. But I never gave up, I felt even more inspired when I discovered the existence of this thread, and it feels like my efforts in debating what I believed in paid off more than I could ever imagine. So I'd like to thank everyone who's been here to experience it all, the doubts, the speculation, the dream becoming our reality, the celebration, all the new people rejoicing with us and enjoying our beloved franchise, the sheer patience, and the reward. Thank you Sakurai and the Smash dev team. Bless all the Persona/Megami Tensei fans and the people who made this franchise what it is today that passed away over the years, may you rest in peace. We made it, this is our victory.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I, for one, welcome our new Joker overlords.

(No, seriously, the guy has pretty much taken over Smash Online.)

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Why is Joker so dang tiny? Even Zelda makes him look positively puny.

At least everything he does is graceful and stylish.

D

Deleted member

I was able to get past error code hell and managed to play as Joker last night.

I have to say, he's very satisfying to play as and everything about him feels like he was ripped out of Persona 5. From the nods and references in his moveset and victory screen to his attacks, everything feels natural about his character. This is how I imagined he would play like in Smash Bros.!

I'll need to play as him online, but from what I've played against CPUs he is a lot of fun! I think I found my true main!

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So important note: Joker can combo after his first hit of Fair if you don't get the second hit.

Shorthop Fair into Usmash is a thing and kills Mario (without Arsene) at 110%. There are other combos I can look into after work

D

Deleted member

I woke up randomly at 4 in the morning and said to myself "might as well" and downloaded the update and finally got Joker.
Haven't had the chance to play him yet but I'm looking forward to it.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I have the update but I don't have the character (I gots no monies)
Hold on, kind stranger. Mama Katkit is not completely broke. Tell me your Nintendo ID. Is there a way to gift it to you? People used to gift me games on the Wii Shop channel all the time back when I was young and broke; I don't mind paying it forward now that I'm able to, if it's possible.

I don't know if the Switch allows people to buy gifts like it did on the Wii, but if it does, I got you. Maybe it'll let me gift coins or something.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
God he's fun. Can't consistently do the hop-shoot thing yet. The All Out Attack is a thing of beauty. And the victory screen thing, down to him saying "nice!" when you go to the results, is spectacular. Mementos looks SO good in-game.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
God he's fun. Can't consistently do the hop-shoot thing yet. The All Out Attack is a thing of beauty. And the victory screen thing, down to him saying "nice!" when you go to the results, is spectacular. Mementos looks SO good in-game.
I just hope he doesn't end up being OP like Bayonetta did.
I won't be able to play him without being accused of being "carried" if thats the case :T

GolisoPower

Smash Master
After trying Joker for a bit in training mode, I can say that I love his moveset.

I love how Arsene automatically awakens when his Rebellious Meter is maxed out, but I don’t know if it’s just me, but I think using Joker’s specials with Arsene active makes the latter last shorter with each use.

I feel like Eigaon would make for a great combo starter with it being multi hit (Maybe Eiha too), and the damage-over-time during a combo would be adding insult to the opponent’s injury.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Playing as Joker is a lot of fun. He feels like the best combination of Fox and Sheik, and racks hits fast. Something about playing as him makes me want to give my all in skill. He hits that sweet spot for me in terms of move options. I might main this character.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Is the Arsene render already up somewhere? It appears in Jokers fighter spirit, but I haven't seen it on the internet yet.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As much as I loved the idea of a big pink K. Rool, I really enjoy Joker's classic mode being about befriending shadows. Lot of fun.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The Persona spirit battles were really dang fun. The AI on the Akechi one was pretty dumb though, just kept spamming Pit's down B.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
The Persona spirit battles were really dang fun. The AI on the Akechi one was pretty dumb though, just kept spamming Pit's down B.
I was glad I got through them all quickly. I was worried the legendary one would be one of the stupidly hard ones that would make me go bald before the night ends. (I still don't have the baby bowser spirit. Screw that one.)

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I wish was different about Joker's moveset is that I would've preferred his back air to be a kick similar to Samus' rather than a knife swing, idk why, but back airs that are kicks are infinity times more satisfying to land.

Other than that, I couldn't have designed him better, I think I found my new main (I was gonna main him no matter what, but it's nice to have a character I wanted to feel genuinely satisfying to play as).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Joker is surprisingly short.
His height is tall when standing, but for some reason he's really skinny and has pretty low postures when running and stuff.

So how's everyone enjoying? I think joker's pretty fun too.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
His height is tall when standing, but for some reason he's really skinny and has pretty low postures when running and stuff.

He seems fun, but I think ihe's a bit mechanically advanced for me to use him to his fullest potential, and his physics feel... weird. Anybody else feel like Joker feels heavy to control, but light when he's being launched by opponents attacks? Also his double jump feels weighty. Lots of times I whiff aerials I thought would have hit.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman

This through me off a bit when I saw him compared to some other characters in his recent trailer.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
He seems fun, but I think ihe's a bit mechanically advanced for me to use him to his fullest potential, and his physics feel... weird. Anybody else feel like Joker feels heavy to control, but light when he's being launched by opponents attacks? Also his double jump feels weighty. Lots of times I whiff aerials I thought would have hit.
I think he controls good. I find he's a lot faster on the ground than in the air so sometimes i want to jump attack but dont go very far, and i whiff aerials too because of that. Maybe the hitboxes dont have that much range too.

I find he's weak without arsene but really strong with him. I think he'll be a bit of a gambling character because you cant be guaranteed to do good while with arsene and he has trouble ko'ing without.
Also, his gun play will take a while to get used to but it's so fun and so good to gun dash. :)

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think he controls good. I find he's a lot faster on the ground than in the air so sometimes i want to jump attack but dont go very far, and i whiff aerials too because of that. Maybe the hitboxes dont have that much range too.

I find he's weak without arsene but really strong with him. I think he'll be a bit of a gambling character because you cant be guaranteed to do good while with arsene and he has trouble ko'ing without.
Also, his gun play will take a while to get used to but it's so fun and so good to gun dash. :)
Yeah, I was surprised to find you have to commit to the gun, with it being having a lot of starting and end lag.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was surprised to find you have to commit to the gun, with it being having a lot of starting and end lag.
It's not all that bad, all things considered. Any faster and it'd be op. But you can still shoot and dash away or in.

Very important note: If you shoot right before you land, you'll cancel a lot of lag, and this works if you gun dash too. So you can shoot as you land pretty safely or then get away or in to combo, if at the right heights.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Okay, got the character and I just found out that the Grappling Hook only works as a command grab when on the ground while it function like a regular attack in the air (and a pretty weak one at that unless one is using it to tag someone near the top blast line)

D

Deleted member

Joker is pretty fun to play with (and the stage is badass).

That being said doh, I really need to improve the way I play as him, since I’m currently too easy to beat.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have a LOT to learn! However I adore his playstyle, he really seems like a great combination of my secondaries and characters I recently picked up like Lucas or Robin. Right now it's getting the timing on the Rebel's Guard right that's tripping me up as well as learning effective Up-B.

Funnily enough my trouble with WoL is that I haven't beaten it yet but I'm so strong with spirits and the skill tree that I kill before I can even GET Arsene.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm really enjoying Joker, but I think he is a bit too polarized to enter my regular rotation. He feels underpowered without Arsene and really strong with him. I doubt anything will break my K. Rool/Cloud/Ridley trifecta, but he's a lot of fun and I can see myself messing around with him in less serious matches.

Loving all the other Persona content, the stage, the music, the Spirits... if the other packs are as good as this, this DLC is going to be fantastic.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Okay, got the character and I just found out that the Grappling Hook only works as a command grab when on the ground while it function like a regular attack in the air (and a pretty weak one at that unless one is using it to tag someone near the top blast line)
It also isn't that easy to follow up on, it just seems to hit them on the ground and they fly off.
It's still useful but maybe not quite as much as i thought.

I have a LOT to learn! However I adore his playstyle, he really seems like a great combination of my secondaries and characters I recently picked up like Lucas or Robin. Right now it's getting the timing on the Rebel's Guard right that's tripping me up as well as learning effective Up-B.

Funnily enough my trouble with WoL is that I haven't beaten it yet but I'm so strong with spirits and the skill tree that I kill before I can even GET Arsene.
Rebel's guard has a lot more lag after it than i thought, pretty much like a counter. It's really cool because it can stay up for a long time if you hold it down, but it's pretty punishable so it'll be tricky for when to use it.

I'm really enjoying Joker, but I think he is a bit too polarized to enter my regular rotation. He feels underpowered without Arsene and really strong with him. I doubt anything will break my K. Rool/Cloud/Ridley trifecta, but he's a lot of fun and I can see myself messing around with him in less serious matches.

Loving all the other Persona content, the stage, the music, the Spirits... if the other packs are as good as this, this DLC is going to be fantastic.
Yeah that'll be the main drawback to him. He's a bit like lucario was, in a way, but he's definitely viable. and fun to try to master probably.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I wonder how many cloud mains will be trolled by the fact that joker gets 15 extra seconds to stay in his limit/rebellion form opposed to the 15 only seconds that cloud gets

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wonder how many cloud mains will be trolled by the fact that joker gets 15 extra seconds to stay in his limit/rebellion form opposed to the 15 only seconds that cloud gets
Just tell 'em to compare non-limit cloud with non-arsene joker if they get too riled up. ;)

Top Bottom