• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

C-G

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people are already thinking he's going to be OP as all heck.

...I honestly did NOT get that impression at all seeing his trailer. He looks cool as hell, don't get me wrong! But crazy powerful is not what I see. I can't play until later today (gotta get through work first...but its slow, so I can just mess around here all day), but I'll just lay my thought process out:

- Eiha is weak. Like....crazy weak from what we saw. Even with its poison-like continual damage, it hit like 10% on that Lucas. (Or was it Ness? I confuse the two..). It may have just grazed him maybe? But it looked like a direct hit that only ended up being 10%. Maybe it could stack; who knows. One thing to know is that it didn't look like it had ANY knock-back at all.
- Gun is very similar to Bayonetta's in that he can use it all over the place (even in dodges; that's epic), but the damage output for it is small as well; it's basically just chip damage with no knock-back (may not even stun or interrupt like Megaman's lemons).
- Grapple Hook is gimmicky; like Samus' tether or the Belmonts' chain grapple, it can be difficult to use. At least for me it can. At least it's a simple up B that you can manipulate the direction for, but depending on how close you have to be when you fire it, it could be difficult to get yourself back to the edge.
- Rebellion Guard is similar to Limit, but you can't charge it yourself. You either have to let it charge on its own (which they said will charge faster if you're behind) or you have to fish for hits. You take half damage while using it, but there's plenty of characters who can abuse this and just rack up your damage with free hits while you try and get a charge. You also lose all charge thus gained if you're KO'ed. That means you'll pretty much always be using Arsene while lagging behind an opponent percentage-wise.
- Not being able to charge this gauge on your own is a lot bigger deal than people seem to be making it.
- Arsene is timed; he won't always be out once you max out the gauge, that means that regardless of your playstyle, you're encouraged to be much more aggressive once Arsene activates. This makes a player pretty predictable and opponents can just play a waiting game while they try to wait out Arsene. Those that can't escape will just fight as normal against a character they've already likely put a fair amount of damage into already.

And the Pros to this? He powers up, but we never actually saw just how much. I'm sure it's a significant amount, but probably not as game-breaking as people are making it out to be. His recovery becomes one of (if not the) best, that's for sure, but the other moves just get stronger as you'd expect and there's still no knock-back (Eihagon took up like the entire character screen, so I couldn't see if the opponent was stunned or not).

Basically, he's going to actually be somehwat similar to Lucario, if that makes sense. A little weaker than average at the start of a fight, but once he accumulates damage, he becomes a force to be reckoned with; a Revenge-Killer if you will. Of course, it's temporary though. I think that's the biggest thing holding Joker back from being the OP force a lot of people are initially believing him to be.

Unfortunately, I can't test my hypothesis on the matter out until later. Hopefully someone here can take a look. We need an unbiased look at just how good he actually is lol.
I can't really adress this point by point, but I will tell you this from someone doing analysis of the trailer
-Guns cause hitstun up close.
-Arsene basically gives him Fox Usmash. It comes our real quick thanks to Arsene frames coming out sooner.
-Arsene has a timer but it is really long. About 15-25ish. More than enough time to play neutral.
-Arsene grants a speed buff.
-Eiha is inocuous, but becomes active pretty fast

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I’m tempted to use my MyNintendo golden points on Joker.

But I also want to save them for Erdrick/Eight or Crash, so I’m currently with a dilemma.
I forgot I could buy things with the gold points. I'll use them for the P3/P4 Uniforms for sure.

D

Deleted member

I can't really adress this point by point, but I will tell you this from someone doing analysis of the trailer
-Guns cause hitstun up close.
-Arsene basically gives him Fox Usmash. It comes our real quick thanks to Arsene frames coming out sooner.
-Arsene has a timer but it is really long. About 15-25ish. More than enough time to play neutral.
-Arsene grants a speed buff.
-Eiha is inocuous, but becomes active pretty fast
Do you think he's going to be the OP monster that some people believe?

I don't doubt that when Arsene's out he'll be strong, I just don't think he's going to be as ridiculously nuts as some people are already claiming.

Just gotta say though, I love how he looks; I'm not disappointed in the least, I just feel like people are pronouncing him the King of Smash a little too soon, you know what I mean? lol.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
So we won't be able to download until the later time.
Not necessarily. Companies often overestimate how long an update will take to account for things going wrong. And being able to play when the update is only 60% done is common practice

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Not necessarily. Companies often overestimate how long an update will take to account for things going wrong. And being able to play when the update is only 60% done is common practice
So maybe like 9:45 EST. That would be better.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Do you think he's going to be the OP monster that some people believe?

I don't doubt that when Arsene's out he'll be strong, I just don't think he's going to be as ridiculously nuts as some people are already claiming.

Just gotta say though, I love how he looks; I'm not disappointed in the least, I just feel like people are pronouncing him the King of Smash a little too soon, you know what I mean? lol.
Trying to guess how OP someone will be from a trailer is nigh impossible. Remember, people were downplaying Cloud from his trailer. They did not show how Nair lead to everything, nor how Uair solved everything. What they did show was him not snapping the ledge. And that was an immediate 'this charavter sux'. Character effectiveness is too complex to be adequately showcased in 5 minutes

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I’m tempted to use my MyNintendo golden points on Joker.

But I also want to save them for Erdrick/Eight or Crash, so I’m currently with a dilemma.
Well, ignoring the fact that we don't even know for certain if we're even getting a DQ rep, why not just use the gold points on the Season pass as a whole? That way they're going towards all of them.

D

Deleted member

Well, ignoring the fact that we don't even know for certain if we're even getting a DQ rep, why not just use the gold points on the Season pass as a whole? That way they're going towards all of them.
I don’t have enough points for the whole thing, sadly.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
most plausible jane autopsy theory i've seen

1555514580531.png

morgana/mona are also both female names despite him being male

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

View attachment 209507

I don't know, isn't Mono a different model though? Why would it be placed directly on a Joker, and if so, where is the physics for Arsène?

Edit:
Also, the remixes are going to be great.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
honestly, the only thing to surprise me more than joker shadow dropping is jane being an almost grinch-esque convergence of multiple complete coincidences

once the dust settles tomorrow, i'll be interested to see what dataminers make of it - whether it was something to do with joker's school costumes ('jane' was costume 06, which is his first school uniform), ann as a stage element, or even just a dummy file/cut content now that we have all his files in complete form
Unfortunately we might not know anything because it's not all in the data. They found the maya files for jane in the dumped strings.
The coincindences needed for it to be like it was would be insane, especially the only new character we saw for a new persona game happens to have be female and have a ponytail. I just dont think so, even if it's possible. I think it's more likely that she got scrapped or that it's a bonus for later.

View attachment 209507

No, they wouldn't keep two models in the same branched file. It'd be highly messy and you wouldn't see that from professionals. And morgana doesnt have ponytail hair physics :O And doesnt need physics since it'd be regular animation for a taunt.

Of course, I dont know what the truth is too tho :/

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That's strange, i thought it was supposed to be 4 hours ealier than that, from what i saw around :O
This'd make it out to be in like 8-9 hours?
There was a post on the Smash Bros subreddit that got some traction and mixed up PST/EST, thereby saying it would be out three hours earlier, so that's probably want you saw?

That'd be 8-ish hours, yeah. Exactly 24 hours after the trailer dropped yesterday. Sorry Europe; Nintendo apparently likes doing things while you sleep.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There was a post on the Smash Bros subreddit that got some traction and mixed up PST/EST, thereby saying it would be out three hours earlier, so that's probably want you saw?

That'd be 8-ish hours, yeah. Exactly 24 hours after the trailer dropped yesterday. Sorry Europe; Nintendo apparently likes doing things while you sleep.
It was on other sites:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/17...se-date-persona-5-music-stages-trailer-amiibo

"
We've listed some of the specific timings below for the Smash Bros Joker Release Time.
  • EDT: 5:50 p.m.
  • PDT: 8:30 p.m.
  • 1:50am BST
"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This piece by SchAlternate SchAlternate is one of my favorite post-patch fan arts so far. Even Speedwagon Joker is afraid! Meanwhile Snake is in the back going "Sure, he gets a gun…"

super_smash_bros__ultimate___joker_by_schalternate_dd4sdbi-fullview.jpg

Things that will feel wrong: fighting Piranha Plant (-2 kindness with every stock taken), and fighting female Inkling (beating on someone who looks like your sister).

Things that feel oh so right: literally everything else.

Oh my gosh, this is really happening. I wasn't ready. Ahhhhh
Things that will feel super wrong; the PTs ganging up on Isabelle, then stabbed so hard by Joker that she bleeds sparkles.

Knowing the smash community, they'll probably despise him within a month from now :/
Ultimate neophytes were a mistake.

I don't know, isn't Mono a different model though? Why would it be placed directly on a Joker, and if so, where is the physics for Arsène?

Edit:
Also, the remixes are going to be great.
ACE? Oh boy, looks like we're gonna have a rap to rival K. Rool's.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Unfortunately we might not know anything because it's not all in the data. They found the maya files for jane in the dumped strings.
The coincindences needed for it to be like it was would be insane, especially the only new character we saw for a new persona game happens to have be female and have a ponytail. I just dont think so, even if it's possible. I think it's more likely that she got scrapped or that it's a bonus for later.

No, they wouldn't keep two models in the same branched file. It'd be highly messy and you wouldn't see that from professionals. And morgana doesnt have ponytail hair physics :O And doesnt need physics since it'd be regular animation for a taunt.

Of course, I dont know what the truth is too tho :/
i have seen little bits of speculation that 'jane' - assuming for a second that she's the P5 Royal character - might be saved as an echo for a later update (say, 4.0.0 or 5.0.0), at a point when P5R's marketing is more relevant for both japan and overseas.

not much to back it, of course, but it is an interesting thought that we could see echoes added at different points to their original fighters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i have seen little bits of speculation that 'jane' - assuming for a second that she's the P5 Royal character - might be saved as an echo for a later update (say, 4.0.0 or 5.0.0), at a point when P5R's marketing is more relevant for both japan and overseas.

not much to back it, of course, but it is an interesting thought that we could see echoes added at different points to their original fighters.
Yes that was one of my theories too. Obviously we can't be sure of anything, and we have to wait til the concert to get some kind of hint. If we dont get anything then it's either she's not there or we have a while to wait if there's anything.

In whatever case I'm waiting til after the concert to think more of it one way or another.

D

Deleted member

I haven't been super active in here, buuut now that the boy's coming tonight, I'll start hangin' around here more.

Maining his blue alt, BTW.

D

Deleted member

So 3.0 is out now but Joker won't be out until 5:50-7:30 Rocky Mountain Time?

Darn...
Nope, Joker is apart of 3.0, so they're both coming tonight at around 9:00 PM EDT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
Nope, Joker is apart of 3.0, so they're both coming tonight at around 9:00 PM EDT.
Shoot, I'm at school and I was for once excited to learn a new characters moveset, and now I gotta wait till 9?

P.S. I just checked, and that means I only have to wait till 7! heck yeah!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
TBH I'm torn between the blue and the yellow, but blue is my favorite color sooooo...

Also, it's basically Velvet Room colors, so heck yeah.
I think it's more of a P3 reference. All of the colors(Besides the Akechi stuff) seem to reference the main colors of each Persona game.

Edit:
Also, and I know my icon is going to stay until my bet is finished, but I would totally put this art as an icon if it could fit(Specifically the faces).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's more of a P3 reference. All of the colors(Besides the Akechi stuff) seem to reference the main colors of each Persona game.
Oh yeah, they're totally a reference to the games' primary colors. I just personally think of the Velvet Room when I see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Default or purple for me. This whole thing has me hyped affff. Stage builder I'm honestly gonna be creating for hours and hours to my heart's content. I might do a G&W/Marth/Joker triple-main thing after today lmao

Top Bottom