• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This joke needs to be made...

You thought it was Joker, but it was I, Dio!
Let the Jojokes begin. The time has finally come.

Also, anyone else find it funny that he's coming with a counter attack? :chuckle:

Smash has broken through that limit before. Perhaps they wanted to keep things equal in alts for base game content.
Hmm, seems fair then. In before we get a gorillion Odyssey Mario costumes as the first free alt DLC.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That'd be nice. 8-slots limitation does get in the way, tho.

Also, I'm kinda disappointed Jack Frost wasn't shown anywhere (not even as a hat), he should at least get a spirit.
If there actually is a cap at all, it could change in 3.0.

That reminds me, we have character balance changes to look forward to ;)

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Joker's moves are all very active I am noticing. Combined with his mobility it can extend his short range greatly

D

Deleted member

Also, anyone else find it funny that he's coming with a counter attack? :chuckle:
A little, but to be fair, it's not a full on counter lol. He pushes them back without doing a bunch of damage and if people are hunting for free charge, players have plenty of time to pull back before the Joker player lets go and it forcefully pushes them off.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Hmm, seems fair then. In before we get a gorillion Odyssey Mario costumes as the first free alt DLC.
I found that funny as well, especially since I think someone Joked about him having a counter not so long ago.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thinking about joker strategy, it seems like running and gunning will be useful including to try to get them to predict where you'll jump, to hit you, at which point you can counter and get some rebellion going

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie though, that flippy mid-air gun attack thing looks like it was stolen from Dante from DMC.

I'm going to download Joker during my lunch break at work. That'll be at like... 10:30am Pacific time. If anyone wants to have an Arena dedicated to testing out Joker, I'm down.

Even if it's weak, I'm going to spam Eiha just because it looks cool lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I admit I haven't played Smash in a while but with Joker finally being in I have a reason to play again.
And it's a good thing I am off tomorrow.

amageish

Smash Master
Here's my tinfoil/last-spurt jane theories:

1) They scrapped jane as an alph costume and want to give more costumes once she's revealed.
2) They scrapped jane as a costume and made her a bonus echo fighter once she's revealed.
or
3) One of the 'regular' costumes will be replaced with her for one slot :p
I mean, the ponytail was tied to costume 7, which is when he switches to the Shujin uniform... Is there some way that the name "Jane" ties to that school uniform?

Also, can we just acknowledge that Smash is getting it's own version of Aria of the Soul(It is said that it's a new arrangement)? That's hilarious.
Hey, thematic haha.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright, well everyone enjoy and savour the joker news.

I'ma head off for a while and do that but also mourn the possibility that jane aint in

D

Deleted member

So many people off tomorrow.

I'll be working; I'll have to live vicariously through you all until I get back.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, the ponytail was tied to costume 7, which is when he switches to the Shujin uniform... Is there some way that the name "Jane" ties to that school uniform?

Hey, thematic haha.
Not really because it was to be for ponytail hair too.. And we happened to get a reveal (p5r) with a female character with ponytail hair. Im not gonna ignore that, even if it isn't looking good for her as a costume right now.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That is true. And there is nothing on the costome that has physics that would require ponytail physics like, you know, a ponytail.

I think a switch was made for some reason.
Hey, thematic haha.
Nothing Persona would be complete without it. I wonder if it's going to be more battle fitting or if's just going to go at it's normal pace.

Black Link521

Smash Cadet
I am the happiest person alive. Everything about this looks amazing and my husband Akechi got the love he deserved, it's no echo but I think this is just as ASTONISHING. I was actually crying when I saw all the love put into this. I love Super Smash Bros. Thank you Sakurai and the Smash Dev team for making my messed up day a billion times better.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Dude. Joker looks absolutely perfect. I love everything.

I’m so glad they weren’t afraid to incorporate his gun, and I’m so happy they didn’t do an SP meter. I much prefer having Arsene act more like Cloud’s limit break. That’s just the right amount of gimmicky-ness for me

Also Mementos looks amazing! At first I thought that it was a lame idea, and that some sort of palace (Sae, Madarame, Kamoshida specifically) was the way to go, but boy am I a dummy. They really stylized that ****.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Now that I've actually seen him in action, Joker definitely looks like a character I'll enjoy. Looks like a mix between Robin's tricks and Bayo's acrobatics. I was half-expecting them to get really anal about the gun, but they've made it work without it looking gory.

Overall, I really like this character, especially his aerials. I look forward to playing him.

KatKit

Smash Lord
For those of you who haven't played P5 but are hyped about a gun user: they're fake. In-universe, they're model replicas. It's sort of like Bayonetta's magical bullets in the sense that they are not like real world weapons. It could be a weird loophole, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Arsene looks to last a really long time. 15+ seconds, maybe mid 20s.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For those of you who haven't played P5 but are hyped about a gun user: they're fake. In-universe, they're model replicas. It's sort of like Bayonetta's magical bullets in the sense that they are not like real world weapons. It could be a weird loophole, is all I'm saying.
Yeah, but the ratings board likely does not care about those semantics. Heck, the only reason they work in universe is because they appear real, so the Metaverse makers them real.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
We have a new limit charger lol but I'm Glad sakurai is embracing the stylish ooze of persona 5 and bringing it to smash through the use of joker and the mementos stage.it's hard to swallow at once

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie though, that flippy mid-air gun attack thing looks like it was stolen from Dante from DMC.

I'm going to download Joker during my lunch break at work. That'll be at like... 10:30am Pacific time. If anyone wants to have an Arena dedicated to testing out Joker, I'm down.

Even if it's weak, I'm going to spam Eiha just because it looks cool lol.
Ouch, my managers don't give us employees the wifi password at my work, so either Joker drops in the early morning, or I'm waiting until at least 3:00 to finally lab with him. T_T

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
There was a problem fetching the tweet

If the "Joker is Bayonetta's son" jokes aren't enough...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Grappling hook seems really bad as recovery..
Not really, tethers can be good because you wont be hit close to the stage the same. And up-b with arsene has invincibility.

Hard to believe we only have much less than 24 hours before we can test everything out :O :)

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Grappling hook seems really bad as recovery..
Yeah, noticed that too. At least Arsene won't waist his entire mechanic with the improved recovery, unlike Cloud. Odds are Joker players will be doing some Cloud style play of knocking their opponent offstage, charging rebellion gauge, rinse repeat, pop Arsene and go aggro, repeat step one when Arsene runs out.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, I know everybody here has to be absolutely blown away by that stealth dropped Direct. I know that because I was absolutely blown away and I don't have AS deep a connection with specifically Persona 5 as many here. But, they nailed all of the atmosphere of modern Persona with Joker, Mementos, and all the additional content.

Joker himself looks interesting. He's definitely quick and got some decent kill power even without the Persona active, but he definitely looks like a character that's going to require some real time to learn like many of the other newcomers this go around. He's just got so many little mechanics that also change immensely when you release the Persona. I hope that doesn't hurt him too much in terms of play and that you can reliably summon him without too much issue, but I can't really be worried about that now and I'll know when I get my hands on him. Also, he straight up uses a gun and I chuckled to myself when his neutral special was just straight up called that. Another fan rule and older Sakurai dies a quick and needed death. I'm so glad they didn't hold back too much with Joker and let him really be himself. Love the alt-costume too.

But Mementos ****ing blew me away. Again, I don't know Persona 5 so I didn't know really what to expect. But damn if that stage isn't just dripping with Persona atmosphere and just one of the most beautiful Smash stages in a while. All kinds of cool hazards and the damn subway running through the map. A floating platform with a screen. The phantom thieves jumping into the background as well. I'm all for it and Hazardless looks like it'll be great too.

The real kicker for me as the Persona 4 fan that you could so casually change the dynamic of the stage to fit those games and that Joker's victory theme will reflect those aspects of the game. I was really hoping for music from the other Persona games, and seeing Persona 3 and 4 get as much love as they did in this DLC pack is amazing. Even the damn Mii costumes I hate so much brought us the other protagonists. I wish we could have gotten more music overall, but 11 Persona tunes across the three games will do well enough.

They really nailed the Persona representation in Smash and I can't wait to play with him tomorrow. I'm so damn excited now haha.

Also, really happy to see that they included him in the mural. I was worried that might not happen with DLC fighters. It's such a small, unimportant thing, but I got really hype seeing that too.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
how'd he get access to that?
Simple, from Sakurai himself.

Top Bottom