• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Going back to me hoping they reveal Joker this week: Assuming "Jane" is the new girl and is an alt, do you think they could do something like show Joker's trailer, gameplay, etc. then end his section with showing/hinting at the "Jane" alt and saying that players will just have to wait and find out more when Joker releases? That way they can reveal his trailer this week, then release him after the 24-25 Persona concert.
Yeah, I see it going two ways:
1) They reveal Joker and only use his default costume for totally-not-suspicious reasons. He's announced to release on the 25th, with the Jane alt being revealed at the concert.
2) They reveal the Jane alt in the Smash Direct against all logic, justifying it with some generic "TUNE IN LATER TO FIND OUT WHY THIS CHARACTER EXISTS." He/she can then release whenever, though I imagine it'll still be the 18th at the latest, as they would want to give a week's notice for people to back-up their replays.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Guess we'll have to wait and see for that matter. We have the next 2-3 mornings to wake up and see if they announce a Direct for this week, although it is worth noting that the past two Smash Directs weren't shown the day after they were announced - there was still a bit of a wait in between.

Also, a quick addendum to your point:

though I imagine it'll still be the 18th at the latest, as they would want to give a week's notice for people to back-up their replays.
The recent 2.0.2. patch from last week is also another reason to doubt Joker dropping this week, even if we get a Direct. Granted, the patch focused on just Amiibo support, but since those don't come in until the 12th and there wouldn't be any reason to add support in now unless 3.0.0. was coming soon, it also stands to reason that we wouldn't see him playable until possibly the following week perhaps.

Like, as much as I want the fantastic move of "download right after the Direct ends" (which worked for 4/7 of Smash 4's DLC), I doubt that's happening. Hopefully, we'd hear more news in general "soon" - whenever "soon" is.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Guess we'll have to wait and see for that matter. We have the next 2-3 mornings to wake up and see if they announce a Direct for this week, although it is worth noting that the past two Smash Directs weren't shown the day after they were announced - there was still a bit of a wait in between.

Also, a quick addendum to your point:

The recent 2.0.2. patch from last week is also another reason to doubt Joker dropping this week, even if we get a Direct. Granted, the patch focused on just Amiibo support, but since those don't come in until the 12th and there wouldn't be any reason to add support in now unless 3.0.0. was coming soon, it also stands to reason that we wouldn't see him playable until possibly the following week perhaps.

Like, as much as I want the fantastic move of "download right after the Direct ends" (which worked for 4/7 of Smash 4's DLC), I doubt that's happening. Hopefully, we'd hear more news in general "soon" - whenever "soon" is.
At this point: All I am hoping for is a Joker reveal this week or the next. If I can just see something about him in Smash from his gameplay, and other content; then I can wait for his release as long as I want after Atlus' little concert because at least I will have the trailer/direct to talk about.

Here's hoping that rumor of there being a direct on the 11th is true, not only cause I want to see a trailer for Joker soon but also make for a coincidence since the 11th of April is when Joker awakens to his powers.

Yeah, I see it going two ways:
1) They reveal Joker and only use his default costume for totally-not-suspicious reasons. He's announced to release on the 25th, with the Jane alt being revealed at the concert.
2) They reveal the Jane alt in the Smash Direct against all logic, justifying it with some generic "TUNE IN LATER TO FIND OUT WHY THIS CHARACTER EXISTS." He/she can then release whenever, though I imagine it'll still be the 18th at the latest, as they would want to give a week's notice for people to back-up their replays.
As much of a troll move that would be for Nintendo/Sakurai: Part of me wants this outcome to happen. That way, Smash/Persona fans who want to see Joker in action will get their wish, while Atlus gets to announce "Jane" and whatever other P5 news by themselves during their concert. That way, everyone wins.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We're getting an announcement tomorrow for a Direct to be held on Thursday. I can feel it (I'm really feelin' it!).
I consulted with a few confidants to make sure about my gut feeling, though.
Ohya's investigative sources confirmed the Direct announcement coming tomorrow
Chihaya read the stars and sees a future where we all get excited and the Hype train starts its engine tomorrow
Hifumi assured me the strategic value in this occuring, thus concurring with my thoughts that the Announcement for a Direct on Thursday will drop tomorrow.

In other words, it's coming; it's close! That Direct is coming this week, I just know it!

amageish

Smash Master
As much of a troll move that would be for Nintendo/Sakurai: Part of me wants this outcome to happen. That way, Smash/Persona fans who want to see Joker in action will get their wish, while Atlus gets to announce "Jane" and whatever other P5 news by themselves during their concert. That way, everyone wins.
I agree. The third option I neglected to include is "They announce a second Smash-specific Direct for later," which I feel would be... less well-received then making this an extra-large Direct featuring both Mario Maker 2 and Smash 3.0.0 heavily.

D

Deleted member

So, just to play a bit of a game (not a very good one admittedly), consider the following scenario:

Joker is announced along with his Amiibo and surprise, surprise, his amiibo will have an unprecedented 3 variations!!
'Joker' (as seen by BestBuy's Sorry-Not-Sorry Leak)
'Crow' (Spoiler!'s metaverse outfit)
'Jane' (or whatever name she ends up getting)

However, due to a desire to eventually have enough money to buy out even Disney, Nintendo will charge DOUBLE the price for each additional Joker Amiibo variant you purchase! (So the first is the standard $15, the second $30, and the last $60).

NOTE: There is no way to fool the system that is Nintendo; you can't buy one, wait a month, then buy another. Nor can you receive or win one, then buy another. Your second and third variation will be double irregardless.

How many, if any, do you buy and which do you prioritize as being 'must-haves' and thus buy first?

Translater's Note: Keikaku means plan, also:
Crow is Akechi's Metaverse outfit for those that didn't know, but didn't care about being spoiled anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To answer the question from earlier I named my Phantom thieves the Scooby gang.

I don't know, just the idea of a group of cool teenagers traveling around in a van along with an animal mascot sounds very Scooby doo like. I like to imagine they went off to solve mysteries after the game ended
Briefly had that term come up not long ago. It makes sense, actually, like if the Scoobies were mashed up with the Lupin gang.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH WE'RE HALFWAY THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
But the halfway point of the month's the 15th.

Speaking of that, 23 days left before it ends.

I agree. The third option I neglected to include is "They announce a second Smash-specific Direct for later," which I feel would be... less well-received then making this an extra-large Direct featuring both Mario Maker 2 and Smash 3.0.0 heavily.
Here's a valid point by NL:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_week_could_be_a_perfect_send-off_for_reggie

Whether the sources have 100% accurate information or not, a Direct does feel likely.

There are several reasons for this, but the one that's screaming out to us, in particular, is the retirement of Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Aimé. We are now in Reggie's final full week with the company - his final day is said to be 15th April - and what better way to give him the big send-off he truly deserves? In fact, we had already dreamt up the idea of Reggie giving us a proper reveal of Animal Crossing Switch as a goodbye present thanks to a recent Nintendo of America tweet - perhaps that dream will come true after all?

And this leads us on very nicely to our next reason: Nintendo's crazy 2019 line-up. E3 is rapidly approaching, but we're still yet to see our usual levels of pre-release info for the likes of Animal Crossing, Pokémon Sword and Shield, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, and more.

While some of those aren't launching until late in the year, Super Mario Maker 2 is set to release this June - the same month as E3. Surely Nintendo plans to give us more info on the game before E3 comes around? If so, now's as good a time as any. Oh, and we're still waiting for a confirmed release date for Joker in Smash Bros. Ultimate. The list goes on and on.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Wanted to also get this out of the way and curb expectations, since I'm sure most of us are aware of Gaming INTEL's rumors and such, but apparently the people who run the site are sorta shady if anything. A guy on Twitter named Wabi has some stuff about the site - they've had multiple threads about them already today since the April 11 rumors went wild: https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1115363971412807681

To their credit, seems like other sources like Spawn Wave and a few dudes from GameXplain have picked up on this and aren't buying what INTEL's running, but I'll leave you guys to make any conclusions you wanna make.

I will say this though - too many things have happened in the past week or so that feel like we have to get a Direct within the week or at least sooner than later, unless these all happen to be massive coincidences:
  • Best Buy leaks Joker's official render ahead of schedule
  • the further Best Buy system leaks for Persona 5, Link to the Past and the Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • possible hint at an Animal Crossing-related announcement around Tax Day in the States
  • Reggie officially retiring on Tax Day (personally interpret this as a Direct with him in it has to be before the 15th while he's still working for Nintendo)
  • Persona 5's actual first week happening now
  • these recent rumors (which you can and should take with a grain of salt)
  • announcements about Joker and 3.0.0. for Smash that have to be made
...so on and so forth.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wanted to also get this out of the way and curb expectations, since I'm sure most of us are aware of Gaming INTEL's rumors and such, but apparently the people who run the site are sorta shady if anything. A guy on Twitter named Wabi has some stuff about the site - they've had multiple threads about them already today since the April 11 rumors went wild: https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1115363971412807681

To their credit, seems like other sources like Spawn Wave and a few dudes from GameXplain have picked up on this and aren't buying what INTEL's running, but I'll leave you guys to make any conclusions you wanna make.

I will say this though - too many things have happened in the past week or so that feel like we have to get a Direct within the week or at least sooner than later, unless these all happen to be massive coincidences:
  • the further Best Buy system leaks for Persona 5, Link to the Past and the Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • possible hint at an Animal Crossing-related announcement around Tax Day in the States
  • Reggie officially retiring on Tax Day (personally interpret this as a Direct with him in it has to be before the 15th while he's still working for Nintendo)
...so on and so forth.
Yeah, if anything this may be a huge coincidence. Scammers have done nothing for months, then suddenly they claim there's a leak? It's weird.

Might be a broken clock being right twice a day, seeing all that's been happening recently.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Here's a valid point by NL
Nintendo, uh, has a lot of revealing to do. Super Mario Maker 2 and the 3.0.0 Smash update just come to mind first as they have release windows that are quickly approaching with very little information--ignoring datamines and the frankly-impressive amount of detail fan analyses gained from that original Mario Maker 2 announcement trailer. We got a collection ongoing.

I didn't know Polar has a Twitter. Neat! Hopefully she doesn't get sued.

Her explanation of them would explain their very inconsistent history. They probably have had some accurate sources and some people who decided to test their luck in hopes of getting $10.

...so on and so forth.
Agreed. I could see a Direct this week regardless.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

...so on and so forth.
Yeah, there is too much **** to be a coincidence. That does mean tomorrow is the deadline for whether or not this rumor is legit or a bust (aren't directs usually announced 2 or more days prior)

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there is too much **** to be a coincidence. That does mean tomorrow is the deadline for whether or not this rumor is legit or a bust (aren't directs usually announced 2 or more days prior)
General Directs are usually announced the day before, we'll know if this is true or not by either tomorrow or Wednesday.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
...so on and so forth.
Yeah, there's also the fact that there are a number of things releasing soon that they'd probably want to get on people's minds. Labo VR and the new Smash amiibos come out on the 12th, and BoxBoy + BoyGirl is on the 26th. There are a number of notable third-party games coming this month too - Cuphead, Final Fantasy X and XII, SteamWorld Quest, and Shovel Knight King of Cards, to name a few.

It seems like around now is the perfect time for some updates - whether or not the Direct for the 11th is real or not, it makes sense to think one's coming soon!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, what's with the Joker profile on the Character discussion page? Pretty sure we don't have his render yet (At least 100% officially confirmed.). Are site mods/editors/whoever planning on changing the picture when he officially releases, and what's the source of the profile? Best Buy render? Fan art? Joker art used in Nintendo ads?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, what's with the Joker profile on the Character discussion page? Pretty sure we don't have his render yet (At least 100% officially confirmed.). Are site mods/editors/whoever planning on changing the picture when he officially releases, and what's the source of the profile? Best Buy render? Fan art? Joker art used in Nintendo ads?
joker.PNG

You mean this? If so, it's the Best Buy render. If nothing else, it's a placeholder for now. I'm pretty sure it's his actual render, though.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
View attachment 206023

You mean this? If so, it's the Best Buy render. If nothing else, it's a placeholder for now. I'm pretty sure it's his actual render, though.
That's why I said "---[not] 100% confirmed". I know it's most likely his official render; I just meant there's a miniscule margin of error or just that we don't have the render officially yet from Nintendo and the Smash site..

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
That's why I said "---[not] 100% confirmed". I know it's most likely his official render; I just meant there's a miniscule margin of error or just that we don't have the render officially yet from Nintendo and the Smash site..
Yeah, that's why I said if nothing else, it's a placeholder for now, so Joker isn't stuck with the basic Smash logo all the other character discussion places had when they were first made.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
General Directs are usually announced the day before, we'll know if this is true or not by either tomorrow or Wednesday.
More or less. What would nail it on the head though from a pure Persona 5 perspective is that doing it tomorrow coincides with the first in-game day, and the 11th Direct coincides with Joker awakening to Arsene. Do wanna point out though that the past two Smash Directs weren't announced the day before: the post-EVO one had a 5-day wait or so while the Nov. 1 Direct was announced on the 30th.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
21 days left until the month ends, I may have lost track...

Yeah, there's also the fact that there are a number of things releasing soon that they'd probably want to get on people's minds. Labo VR and the new Smash amiibos come out on the 12th, and BoxBoy + BoyGirl is on the 26th. There are a number of notable third-party games coming this month too - Cuphead, Final Fantasy X and XII, SteamWorld Quest, and Shovel Knight King of Cards, to name a few.

It seems like around now is the perfect time for some updates - whether or not the Direct for the 11th is real or not, it makes sense to think one's coming soon!
Incidentally, it seems that Odyssey and BOTW's Labo VR update does come on the 25th, the same day ATLUS will show something.

More or less. What would nail it on the head though from a pure Persona 5 perspective is that doing it tomorrow coincides with the first in-game day, and the 11th Direct coincides with Joker awakening to Arsene. Do wanna point out though that the past two Smash Directs weren't announced the day before: the post-EVO one had a 5-day wait or so while the Nov. 1 Direct was announced on the 30th.
A tad inconsistent, so you never know.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sometimes I think i miss a notification and then i miss a bunch of posts.

Looks like there's mostly speculations on the direct huh?
Im not expecting anything but let's see if there's an announcement tomorow anyway ;p

Didn't find new jane art today. Looks like things have slown down a bit, maybe until we get some more news.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What are the chances that the Direct will be a stealth ninja "airs on the day it's announced" announcement? I feel like checking past patterns wouldn't help much in regards to determining when something will happen.
They've pretty steadily announced directs one day in advance. They could break the pattern but it's the most lilely still.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Didn't find new jane art today. Looks like things have slown down a bit, maybe until we get some more news.
I found some.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I still can't believe that is a thing we can say.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
What are the chances that the Direct will be a stealth ninja "airs on the day it's announced" announcement? I feel like checking past patterns wouldn't help much in regards to determining when something will happen.
It would certainly fit with the theme of Joker "breaking in" and the whole staticky "interruption of broadcast" shtick they've done thus far. I'd be down.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
It would certainly fit with the theme of Joker "breaking in" and the whole staticky "interruption of broadcast" shtick they've done thus far. I'd be down.
Now this, this is the kind of thing that makes smash special in my opinion, just the way the characters are revealed sets it apart from other fighting games. (And yes, that would be extremely sick.)

amageish

Smash Master
I mean, Mini-Directs are a thing, but the leak that Gaming Intel allegedly copied the homework of suggests it would have Mario Maker 2 as a major focus... Aren't Mini-Directs generally more rapid-fire and not usually prone to spend a large amount of time detailing multiple games?

But obviously Nintendo could switch it up and do whatever they like...

If Joker is part of a larger Direct, part of me hopes they'll bring the voice cast back and have Futaba hack into the direct to detail his moveset instead of Sakurai...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, Mini-Directs are a thing, but the leak that Gaming Intel allegedly copied the homework of suggests it would have Mario Maker 2 as a major focus... Aren't Mini-Directs generally more rapid-fire and not usually prone to spend a large amount of time detailing multiple games?

If Joker is part of a larger Direct, part of me hopes they'll bring the voice cast back and have Futaba hack into the direct to detail his moveset instead of Sakurai...
Well well well, that's an interesting detail, so it's a good thing people won't be forced to go to Gaming Intel's site. The rumored leak isn't isolated, which is good. :mybodyisreggie:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

>A Direct is coming, but it'll focus more on Mario Maker 2 than anything else

0e3.png

As much as I wanna see Joker news, I also really wanna know more about Mario Maker. I'm hella excited for it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

View attachment 206208

As much as I wanna see Joker news, I also really wanna know more about Mario Maker. I'm hella excited for it.
I believe that at least half of the Direct would be focused on it, otherwise it'd be a Mario Maker Direct.

At this point I'd only need a release date for Joker and maybe a pass character 2 tease, I'm not asking for the moon here.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

View attachment 206208

It does say "General Nintendo Direct," so I'd still expect at least a shout-out to Smash Brothers. Worst case scenario I could see a "Smash Direct coming soon!"

That said, Mario Maker 2 is a full game coming out in two months that we've only seen a minute or so of it. We have GameXplain's feature-length film analysis of said trailer to give us some guidance on the contents, but I imagine Nintendo wants to announce things themselves. I'm definitely fine with it being given focus.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Post edit:
I just realized, we have not really discussed stages ever since the Metaverse was found in the code. I understand that is a bit of a disappointing choice when you compare it to other locales, but maybe we could brainstorm why they went for it in the first place?

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Post edit:
I just realized, we have not really discussed stages ever since the Metaverse was found in the code. I understand that is a bit of a disappointing choice when you compare it to other locales, but maybe we could brainstorm why they went for it in the first place?
A few reasons:

1)They went for Mementos because it's something that isn't inherently spoilery for the game. All the palaces in the game are arguably spoilers while Mementos is easy to do spoiler free.

2) Palaces are cool and all, but each of them are fairly standard designs. Given the choice between Mementos and all of the palaces, Mementos would be the one I identify as being definitely/uniquely Persona 5, with the Casino coming in a distant second.

3) While there are a few contenders, to pick one palace over any of the others I think does a disservice. All the palaces are important in their own ways. Casino is important, but what about Castle? That's super important, but so is Ship and Prison. To choose one tells the audience (particularly those that never played P5) that this stage was picked because it was the most iconic and therefore more important.

4) Palaces are constructed in such a way that you can't really isolate one part of them. The Bank has the giant rotating lock, but what is it without the money pit? Or the Castle's main foyer vs the tower or the treasure room. The tomb has the town and the actual tomb, but also the end location on the theft attempt. And of course there's three VERY different places in the spaceport. They're very piece-meal, which means picking one part of them kind of.....rough. And sure you can do transition stage if you really want to, but given how the palaces are all inside buildings that seems a bit.......cramped?

5) Because cramped AF Japan is boring.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A few reasons:

1)They went for Mementos because it's something that isn't inherently spoilery for the game. All the palaces in the game are arguably spoilers while Mementos is easy to do spoiler free.

2) Palaces are cool and all, but each of them are fairly standard designs. Given the choice between Mementos and all of the palaces, Mementos would be the one I identify as being definitely/uniquely Persona 5, with the Casino coming in a distant second.

3) While there are a few contenders, to pick one palace over any of the others I think does a disservice. All the palaces are important in their own ways. Casino is important, but what about Castle? That's super important, but so is Ship and Prison. To choose one tells the audience (particularly those that never played P5) that this stage was picked because it was the most iconic and therefore more important.

4) Palaces are constructed in such a way that you can't really isolate one part of them. The Bank has the giant rotating lock, but what is it without the money pit? Or the Castle's main foyer vs the tower or the treasure room. The tomb has the town and the actual tomb, but also the end location on the theft attempt. And of course there's three VERY different places in the spaceport. They're very piece-meal, which means picking one part of them kind of.....rough. And sure you can do transition stage if you really want to, but given how the palaces are all inside buildings that seems a bit.......cramped?

5) Because cramped AF Japan is boring.
  1. Fair enough, but the casino is the first thing you see in the game. You could show about as much as that intro and you would be just fine.
  2. Mementos is kinda boring though. It is unique to Persona 5, but no one would say it's a highlight. Plus, we haven't had locales like a casino or bank in Smash as of yet. I guess the same could be said for a subway, but you get my point.
  3. Plenty of choices like that have already been made in Smash though. Great Bay comes to mind.
  4. I guess, but Mementos suffers from having no identifiable unique locations at all(Unless we go into major spoiler territory).
  5. Fair.
I personally think that Mementos could have been chosen to take advantage of a certain enemy that we all know and fear(Unless it is flu season).

amageish

Smash Master
Post edit:

I think Mementos also represents Persona as a whole the best, as it is made out of the collective subconscious and not just the desires of one person.

Top Bottom