• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
While I fear what I say may go back to the whole "Atlus is evil" mentality; I do got to wonder how long do Nintendo or Atlus expect people to wait for Joker until people start protesting. Bad enough we may have to wait until the 24-25th simply cause Atlus wants to possibly make a huge spectacle out of Joker's inclusion, but what if he really IS delayed to like May or so? I feel like this would go way beyond Mewtwo's situation.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
While I fear what I say may go back to the whole "Atlus is evil" mentality; I do got to wonder how long do Nintendo or Atlus expect people to wait for Joker until people start protesting. Bad enough we may have to wait until the 24-25th simply cause Atlus wants to possibly make a huge spectacle out of Joker's inclusion, but what if he really IS delayed to like May or so? I feel like this would go way beyond Mewtwo's situation.
Well, I believe we still had to wait longer for Mewtwo. Though yeah, I could see a lot of people (including me) being upset if there was a delay, but I don't think protesting would do anything, nor be a thing that should happen.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
How did people react to that Metroid Prime 4 delay?

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
How did people react to that Metroid Prime 4 delay?
I think most were fine with it, given that Nintendo at least went out of their way to explain why it's being delayed so if it means a better game overall: So be it.

Granted Joker could end up the same manner so if he is delayed so that he can be perfected further, then I guess that is fine. Unfortunately due to Atlus' reputation for milking the Persona series and teasing its fanbase with announcements after announcements after announcements: People may not think Joker is being delayed to ensure higher quality, and will instead think Atlus is making a huge spectacle about Joker's Smash inclusion and the tie-ins to their future installments.

D

Deleted member

still doesn't change the fact that the last new thing to this game was Piranha Plant near the end of January and he wasn't really as awesome as some had hoped

so the wait for joker has just become exhausting
I have to agree...
I am still extremely excited and hyped that Joker is even in the game at all, but I am in the camp of being more aggravated than hyped. I think we are all ready for Joker in Smash at this point... delaying it even further doesn't help all that much.
I feel like he is coming soon... I just wish the moment and date was more tangible...

Also, random thought, would it be safe for them to shadowdrop Joker and the 3.0.0 update? As any character-related update will break everyone's replays, so wouldn't they be kind of morally expected to give advanced notice? I mean, they could just say "Some sort of update is coming" in a vague way, I suppose...
I don't think that shadow dropping Joker is a wise choice at all.
With Piranha Plant, it was fine to do that because we expected how it would play and it releasing at any time could happen. With Joker... we know next to nothing about him. I think that we need a proper trailer in a Direct to get people more excited and be willing to buy him when he releases.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree...
I am still extremely excited and hyped that Joker is even in the game at all, but I am in the camp of being more aggravated than hyped. I think we are all ready for Joker in Smash at this point... delaying it even further doesn't help all that much.
I feel like he is coming soon... I just wish the moment and date was more tangible...

With Piranha Plant, it was fine to do that because we expected how it would play and it releasing at any time could happen. With Joker... we know next to nothing about him. I think that we need a proper trailer in a Direct to get people more excited and be willing to buy him when he releases.
Same. I'm still hyped that Joker is in the game in the first place but with all the waiting, not being helped by Atlus' upcoming announcements (thus giving me the impression/worry that they're going to make a huge fuss about Joker's Smash inclusion); part of me just wants to see him already so that I can move on to waiting for the next DLC character/my life in general.

You cannot compare Joker to Piranha, not only cause we already had gameplay footage of the latter but also in terms of characters. Piranha Plant is well...just a generic mook, it's a fun concept but still just a mook. Joker on the other hand is the main protagonist of the one of most popular JRPGs in the modern era, with high acclaim and praise onto his game; you do not just shadow drop him and expect the playerbase to figure him out themselves. And like I said: With how much Atlus wants their precious cash cow to be on the spotlight (and I don't mean this entirely negatively); they would not settle for Joker being treated like "everyone else".

I almost think it got more positive buzz for them than negative, as fans really appreciated the transparency.
I doubt there will be any Smash delay though.

Also, here is more art.
Yeah I doubt it. Frustration over waiting for Joker stems from both Persona fans AND Smash fans. Persona fans just want to get their character already and have been on the receiving end of Atlus' teasing for WAY too long to not see this as a laughing manner (nevermind that they're two other spinoffs for them to gawk at until then) while Smash fans just want him out already so they can lab him but more importantly: Get on with the rest of the Fighter's Pass reveals. Either this is a normal pace for Nintendo considering the wait for Mewtwo and their quality control, or it's just Atlus deliberately milking the suspense further despite that this strategy would not settle for a much larger audience than just the Persona fandom.

Last edited:

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
I almost think it got more positive buzz for them than negative, as fans really appreciated the transparency.

Also, here is more art.
i really hope they use arsene alot in his gameplay, i feel like he was kind of underrepresented in persona 5 and didn't appear in too many scenes/have too much dialogue, he should be equivalent to rosalina/luma or the ice climbers

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I believe we still had to wait longer for Mewtwo.
Somewhat. At least he came out right on April Fools day.

Also, here is more art.
I seriously expect shadow drops to happen for the next guys, you can almost feel like the staff is restraining themselves at this stage.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Somewhat. At least he came out right on April Fools day.

I seriously expect shadow drops to happen for the next guys, you can almost feel like the staff is restraining themselves at this stage.
Part of me wants to be positive, but part of me wants to blame this on Atlus. They must think Joker is SO important that they want the world to pause and wait for his inclusion...even if he's only one out of the 5 DLC characters and will eventually just be one out of 70+ characters on the CSS.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know this was slightly touched upon before, but what sort of exclusive elements would you like to see in a Switch version of P5 if it were to get that sort of thing? Be specific if you can.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I know this was slightly touched upon before, but what sort of exclusive elements would you like to see in a Switch version of P5 if it were to get that sort of thing? Be specific if you can.
I like the ideas of Nintendo themed Personas, especially if it's Nintendo characters with crazy designs that fit the Persona world. It would be fascinating to See Nintendo approved surrealist reimaginings of Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, etc. Game Freak is Notoriously protective of their Pokémon series but it'd be a dream to see a Persona style Mewtwo and/or Charizard. Someone else suggested a Nintendo boss fight too. I believe they said something of Nintendo origin, though I'm not sure if they mean a Persona enemy that is influenced by something Nintendo, or a Nintendo character, but either way. Having a straight up character as a secret challenge boss fight would be neat. Nintendo fans would love the inclusion, and Persona fans could test their metal against a really tough fight against a powerful Nintendo villain Like Hades or Ridley or Ganon or something. Would a new boss fight have to come with a new dungeon necessarily? Could we see the Thieves trying to get to the top of Hyrule Castle to fight Persona Ganon or something cool like that? My only other sauggestion would be that costumes are always an option too, to be added alongside new personas or possibly as the exclusive elements if exclusive personas are a bit too ambitious. I'm thinking something purely cosmetic, not unlike Bayonetta's costumes in Bayonetta 2. Maybe each Phantom Thief gets a Nintendo costume that represents their thieves costume and character. You Persona fans would have to help me out with just what Nintendo characters would work best as costume swaps though.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
At most, Amiibo support with the inevitable Joker amiibo. Have it be like the Bayonetta Amiibo in Bayonetta 2 where they leave Easter Eggs about Joker's Smash inclusion.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Part of me wants to be positive, but part of me wants to blame this on Atlus. They must think Joker is SO important that they want the world to pause and wait for his inclusion...even if he's only one out of the 5 DLC characters and will eventually just be one out of 70+ characters on the CSS.
How much should I sacrifice to the gods so that you can stop acting like this? You're making it out like Atlus and Nintendo are trying to ruin our lives by holding Joker back despite the fact that they haven't violated the condition that he'll be out before April ends, whenever it may be.

Joker being released early or late should ultimately make no difference with anyone else on the Pass. I've wanted Joker ASAP for the longest time as do a majority of the folks here, but if he's still not ready, it's something we gotta deal with. Stop trying to pin the blame on someone because Kylo Ren Mama Mia isn't playable yet until they actually do something unreasonable, which you're acting like to be honest.

Most pages here are full of you pointing fingers at a company that is trying to make the most out of something they managed to strike gold on after years of being relatively niche, which they still are TBH by comparison to the majority of franchises represented in Smash. Seeing as how you've not actually played or even tried to seek out an alternative opinion on the spinoffs you've yet to play (which you yourself admitted to) that for the most part have been very well-received by the fandom, barring the occasional indefensible ****ty business practices which does NOT include Joker being held hostage for whatever reason you can make up. As I've pointed out before, none of these titles - Arena, dancing, Q - ever really bastardized what the core spirit of their respective mainline titles represented.

Tl;dr: Hearing you grate about how much Altus is trying to kill us is tiring.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Same. I'm still hyped that Joker is in the game in the first place but with all the waiting, not being helped by Atlus' upcoming announcements (thus giving me the impression/worry that they're going to make a huge fuss about Joker's Smash inclusion); part of me just wants to see him already so that I can move on to waiting for the next DLC character/my life in general.

You cannot compare Joker to Piranha, not only cause we already had gameplay footage of the latter but also in terms of characters. Piranha Plant is well...just a generic mook, it's a fun concept but still just a mook. Joker on the other hand is the main protagonist of the one of most popular JRPGs in the modern era, with high acclaim and praise onto his game; you do not just shadow drop him and expect the playerbase to figure him out themselves. And like I said: With how much Atlus wants their precious cash cow to be on the spotlight (and I don't mean this entirely negatively); they would not settle for Joker being treated like "everyone else".

Yeah I doubt it. Frustration over waiting for Joker stems from both Persona fans AND Smash fans. Persona fans just want to get their character already and have been on the receiving end of Atlus' teasing for WAY too long to not see this as a laughing manner (nevermind that they're two other spinoffs for them to gawk at until then) while Smash fans just want him out already so they can lab him but more importantly: Get on with the rest of the Fighter's Pass reveals. Either this is a normal pace for Nintendo considering the wait for Mewtwo and their quality control, or it's just Atlus deliberately milking the suspense further despite that this strategy would not settle for a much larger audience than just the Persona fandom.
Why not just do what you say and move on right now? Joker isn't going to pass you by if you're not combing or pining 24/7 for info on him. Play/speculate about something else further away if stress/anxiety is making you sick.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Nothing says exclusive Nintendo content like costumes! I can imagine unique Nintendo themed costumes having special dialogue/sound clips/battle music. Heck, they might even break the 4th wall with a Tokyo Mirage Session poster you can decorate your room with or something. Maybe add an NES-like side activity minigame that boosts stats.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nothing says exclusive Nintendo content like costumes! I can imagine unique Nintendo themed costumes having special dialogue/sound clips/battle music. Heck, they might even break the 4th wall with a Tokyo Mirage Session poster you can decorate your room with or something. Maybe add an NES-like side activity minigame that boosts stats.
I think costumes are likely, though it would be the least wowing thing in comparison to some other ideas. Still pretty awesome though, and the fact that it would still be the PT wearing Nintendo gear would be pretty impactful.

Also, more P5 art.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Bayonetta 2 have stuff like that? Nintendo-related costumes/easter eggs including a reference to Bayonetta's Smash inclusion. I can see the same happening with Joker.

"You may've been expecting Joker to release this month. Wrong. He'll be spending the month trapped in my castle."
Giggity giggity.

How much should I sacrifice to the gods so that you can stop acting like this? You're making it out like Atlus and Nintendo are trying to ruin our lives by holding Joker back despite the fact that they haven't violated the condition that he'll be out before April ends, whenever it may be.

Joker being released early or late should ultimately make no difference with anyone else on the Pass. I've wanted Joker ASAP for the longest time as do a majority of the folks here, but if he's still not ready, it's something we gotta deal with. Stop trying to pin the blame on someone because Kylo Ren Mama Mia isn't playable yet until they actually do something unreasonable, which you're acting like to be honest.

Most pages here are full of you pointing fingers at a company that is trying to make the most out of something they managed to strike gold on after years of being relatively niche, which they still are TBH by comparison to the majority of franchises represented in Smash. Seeing as how you've not actually played or even tried to seek out an alternative opinion on the spinoffs you've yet to play (which you yourself admitted to) that for the most part have been very well-received by the fandom, barring the occasional indefensible ****ty business practices which does NOT include Joker being held hostage for whatever reason you can make up. As I've pointed out before, none of these titles - Arena, dancing, Q - ever really bastardized what the core spirit of their respective mainline titles represented.

Tl;dr: Hearing you grate about how much Altus is trying to kill us is tiring.
I get that such an opportunity is too much of a chance to miss, hence the (begrudging) idea of Joker's Smash inclusion being tied to P5R if the new girl IS an alt as opposed to just having him there because he's a cool character from a cool game, but on the flip side there is also the idea of thinking you have more power to dangle something just for the sake of "hype". Assuming that it was Nintendo/Sakurai who asked permission from Atlus to use Joker, that could theoretically give Atlus more power on what to do with Joker and the amount of content they are willing to feature in Smash since it's likely they want to make a huge spectacle about being in such a large series (though I might also be overestimating Smash's popularity). Considering how many events and promotions they do, it may very well be like the case with Square and FF, or even DQ assuming Erdrick IS getting in depending if they think putting their content in an easily accessible platform like Smash will hinder them in some manner (I still remember them being very stingy on streaming and spoilers).

The only thing keeping me sane is that Nintendo direct last February saying that Joker's coming out before the end of April (likely with the 3.0 patch). And yes I know that 24th/25th IS still before end of April meaning neither Nintendo nor Atlus "lied" about anything.

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Bayonetta 2 have stuff like that? Nintendo-related costumes/easter eggs including a reference to Bayonetta's Smash inclusion. I can see the same happening with Joker.

Giggity giggity.

I get that such an opportunity is too much of a chance to miss, hence the (begrudging) idea of Joker's Smash inclusion being tied to P5R if the new girl IS an alt as opposed to just having him there because he's a cool character from a cool game, but on the flip side there is also the idea of thinking you have more power to dangle something just for the sake of "hype". Assuming that it was Nintendo/Sakurai who asked permission from Atlus to use Joker, that could theoretically give Atlus more power on what to do with Joker and the amount of content they are willing to feature in Smash since it's likely they want to make a huge spectacle about being in such a large series (though I might also be overestimating Smash's popularity). Considering how many events and promotions they do, it may very well be like the case with Square and FF, or even DQ assuming Erdrick IS getting in depending if they think putting their content in an easily accessible platform like Smash will hinder them in some manner (I still remember them being very stingy on streaming and spoilers).

The only thing keeping me sane is that Nintendo direct last February saying that Joker's coming out before the end of April (likely with the 3.0 patch). And yes I know that 24th/25th IS still before end of April meaning neither Nintendo nor Atlus "lied" about anything.
In what way is this "dangling" Joker? Nothing is suggesting this; it's a lot more likely that he simply isn't ready yet. We don't know what the situation is, and the most likely scenario right now is the simple fact that he isn't ready at this point in time.

Stop making crazy assumptions. None of us know anything tangible, unless you're that privy to insider stuff. Not everything is a conspiracy to steal our money. If you're not going to stop repeating the same points over and over again, none of us are going anywhere, especially given that your points have been countered a lot by myself and other people on this forum.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
In what way is this "dangling" Joker? Nothing is suggesting this; it's a lot more likely that he simply isn't ready yet. We don't know what the situation is, and the most likely scenario right now is the simple fact that he isn't ready at this point in time.

Stop making crazy assumptions. None of us know anything tangible, unless you're that privy to insider stuff. Not everything is a conspiracy to steal our money. If you're not going to stop repeating the same points over and over again, none of us are going anywhere, especially given that your points have been countered a lot by myself and other people on this forum.
True, the only "proof" I have is mainly from Atlus' own practices with how they have a tendency to tease announcements for announcements, and how I feel like it's extending to this game (a game made by a different and larger company at that where Atlus is only a guest). That along with Persona being their current cash cow is why the wait for Joker is so aggravating for me when it would have been fine with any other character/company.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
True, the only "proof" I have is mainly from Atlus' own practices with how they have a tendency to tease announcements for announcements, and how I feel like it's extending to this game (a game made by a different and larger company at that where Atlus is only a guest). That along with Persona being their current cash cow is why the wait for Joker is so aggravating for me when it would have been fine with any other character/company.
It's one thing to be impatient or frustrated and vent a little, but you put all of that on atlus, judging them and believing fear-based stories your mind made up.
You wont drop it and even after everything you come back with the same stuff. What do you need to understand that you're doing something unsavory? It's unfair to atlus too for pinning assumptions on them, and you keep bringing back the negativity.

You also dont understand how businesses work and make up rules that arent true. Power dynamics in businesses arent as exaggerated as you think, and both atlus and nintendo are simply working together to make all this happen, no one (ie atlus) is being disrespectful and keeping them from releasing joker, or whatever. Those are all stories youre practically believing, that have no real basis. Joker is a great addition to smash, and im sure they're grateful for that. Why wouldnt they be? Nintendo is much bigger than them and atlus is lucky for the opportunity. For you to assume that they're the opposite, just because of some practices is painting them in a bad light for almost nothing. I may not like announcements of announcement all that much, but it's not necessarily a bad tactic, and it doesn't mean the stuff you made up about them.

You dont need to believe bad things about them. Especially if you like their games, you should yourself be a little thankful at least to them, and show them some amount of respect.
What do you need to stop worrying and talking **** about them? And I'm not talking about things nintendo or atlus could do, I mean you, emotionally what do you need to actually move on instead of replaying the same drama?

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
All of this pointless bashing at Atlus has been going on for far too long. Can we just quit it?

Atlus is a small company that needs to bring in revenue to pay its employees so we can get amazing games like Persona 5. You can talk about how awful the structural capitalism is all you want, but that's not Atlus's fault. They're doing what they have to do, whether you like it or not, and this is not the place to discuss that.

Joker is coming sooner than Mewtwo was in Smash 4. We don't have any details on the developmental process behind Joker, so any and all speculation is purely artificial. All we truly know is that Nintendo has told us he would be ready before the end of April, and the best buy leaks were almost definitely real (although not necessarily confirmed to be happening. Just because a game is in their system doesn't mean it's actually being made, this has happened before).

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The Best buy listings got taken down. Leak essentially confirmed.

Not that Persona 5 on switch is a surprise, but still.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
True, but "shadowdropping" also includes a Direct that ends with "AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW!". While it still may happen, I feel like it would be a bit rude as it risks ruining replays for people with auto-update enabled.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The Best buy listings got taken down. Leak essentially confirmed.

Not that Persona 5 on switch is a surprise, but still.
Question is: Will it be vanilla P5 or P5R? If Joker does have a "Jane" alt and it's Royal, it would be a slap in the face for Switch owners if the female alt they can play as in Smash isn't even playable on the Switch port of the game.

amageish

Smash Master
Question is: Will it be vanilla P5 or P5R? If Joker does have a "Jane" alt and it's Royal, it would be a slap in the face for Switch owners if the female alt they can play as in Smash isn't even playable on the Switch port of the game.
That is a good question. That said, it also brings up a weird third thing that people overlook about Persona--Sony helps fund the production of the games (and, even weirder, apparently the anime as well?).

They do not own the IP itself, so things like Persona Q, Persona 4 Arena, and Joker being in Smash can happen without any of their input, but I dunno how the contract works for porting Persona 5 itself to another console... It is possible that we'd just get P5 if Sony wants to keep P5R to themself.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Stop. Please.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Stop. Please.
No really I'm wondering this time. If P5R IS also for the Switch then that means P5S could just be vanilla P5. If P5R is PS4-exclusive, then that also means P5S might be vanilla P5. If P5S IS the same as P5R, then why call them different things?

osby

Smash Obsessed
No really I'm wondering this time. If P5R IS also for the Switch then that means P5S could just be vanilla P5. If P5R is PS4-exclusive, then that also means P5S might be vanilla P5. If P5S IS the same as P5R, then why call them different things?
It can be like Persona 3 Portable and Persona 3 FES. They were both enhanced versions of the game, but they added different things and released in different consoles.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
That is a good question. That said, it also brings up a weird third thing that people overlook about Persona--Sony helps fund the production of the games (and, even weirder, apparently the anime as well?).

They do not own the IP itself, so things like Persona Q, Persona 4 Arena, and Joker being in Smash can happen without any of their input, but I dunno how the contract works for porting Persona 5 itself to another console... It is possible that we'd just get P5 if Sony wants to keep P5R to themself.
Interesting, and what about the music and dare I say it the art? The reason for why Final Fantasy got the bare minimum is likely cause the tracks and even the character illustrations of characters are owned by their respective composers/artists thus royalties would have to be paid to them, hence why Cloud's Fighter Spirits are just his Smash renders. As far as I know: All the Persona music and art is in-house and owned by Atlus themselves, or their composers/artists (Shoji Meguro, Soejima, etc.) who I think are heavily affiliated with Atlus. Then there's Lyn's vocals to factor as well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Interesting, and what about the music and dare I say it the art? The reason for why Final Fantasy got the bare minimum is likely cause the tracks and even the character illustrations of characters are owned by their respective composers/artists thus royalties would have to be paid to them, hence why Cloud's Fighter Spirits are just his Smash renders. As far as I know: All the Persona music and art is in-house and owned by Atlus themselves, or their composers/artists (Shoji Meguro, Soejima, etc.) who I think are heavily affiliated with Atlus. Then there's Lyn's vocals to factor as well.
Vocal tracks might be an issue, but art and compositions are owned by ATLUS, so no problem on that front.

Of course, we don't know if we'll get any extra Spirits outside of Fighter ones via DLC.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Vocal tracks might be an issue, but art and compositions are owned by ATLUS, so no problem on that front.

Of course, we don't know if we'll get any extra Spirits outside of Fighter ones via DLC.
That would be a bummer, I would have loved to jammed out to the vocals of certain songs. Though another worry of mine is whether Atlus may see these songs as a hinder to their concerts, events, promotions, etc. They were already very strict on streaming and they copyright strike videos that have their music (I think?), so what would that say about a game where the tracks are easily accessible? I base this off what someone said about DQ's composer being very stingy about his tracks as they may ruin concert sales.

Edit: I also wonder if there will be anything stopping Sakurai from remixing certain P5 songs.

They added Partner Pikachu/Eevee as extra spirits, even if they were already in the game as save bonuses. Though I don't know if they would fall under the same category as new spirits altogether. And if P5 spirits DO get added: Would they appear on the Spirit Board normally even without Joker, or would the player need to buy Joker first before they appear assuming there will be P5 spirits at all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That would be a bummer, I would have loved to jammed out to the vocals of certain songs. Though another worry of mine is whether Atlus may see these songs as a hinder to their concerts, events, promotions, etc. They were already very strict on streaming and they copyright strike videos that have their music (I think?), so what would that say about a game where the tracks are easily accessible? I base this off what someone said about DQ's composer being very stingy about his tracks as they may ruin concert sales.
Spoiler policies and copyright strikes are a whole different subject. It's not comparable to lending your music to another game while getting royalties. ATLUS has absolutely nothing to gain from not giving tracks to Smash. Smash music isn't more or less accessible than Persona 5 music.

Also, just for reference, Persona 5 event in Granblue Fantasy game includes this tracks:
  • Phantom
  • Hymn of the Soul
  • Life Will Change - Vocal: Lyn
  • Will Power
  • Last Surprise - Vocal: Lyn
  • Mementos
  • Triumph
  • Beneath The Mask - Vocal: Lyn
  • Sunset Bridge
  • Awakening
As you can see, quite a collection. ATLUS by no means sees extra promotion as a hinder to their own events and marketing.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Spoiler policies and copyright strikes are a whole different subject. It's not comparable to lending your music to another game while getting royalties. ATLUS has absolutely nothing to gain from not giving tracks to Smash. Smash music isn't more or less accessible than Persona 5 music.

Also, just for reference, Persona 5 event in Granblue Fantasy game includes this tracks:
  • Phantom
  • Hymn of the Soul
  • Life Will Change - Vocal: Lyn
  • Will Power
  • Last Surprise - Vocal: Lyn
  • Mementos
  • Triumph
  • Beneath The Mask - Vocal: Lyn
  • Sunset Bridge
  • Awakening
As you can see, quite a collection. ATLUS by no means sees extra promotion as a hinder to their own events and marketing.
Then I wonder why the FF composers/artists didn't allow their tracks if they had nothing to lose but a lot to gain, or is it the other way around with Nintendo/Sakurai?

That is a healthy amount right there, now I got to wonder if Smash will be getting a similar selection (remixed or not, more or less) as some aren't suited for battle unless they possibly remix them (as remixes are what I am the most hyped to hear). Plus I want Blooming Villain and Rivers in the Desert in here XD.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Then I wonder why the FF composers/artists didn't allow their tracks if they had nothing to lose but a lot to gain, or is it the other way around with Nintendo/Sakurai?
Because Square Enix allows composers to have control over their music. Hence, it's harder to get tracks from them.

amageish

Smash Master
The entire Persona IP is owned by ATLUS, and, by extension, owned by SEGA. This includes the music, character likelinesses, sprites, code, etc..

Sony just paid to keep P5's development going during the bankruptcy filing, then apparently decided to invest in the P5 anime too for some reason. That could effect the logistics of a port, but has nothing to do with Joker in Smash.

I made an argument against this already... Going back to find it will be a pain, so for a TL;DR: Japan has very different copyright laws with regard to what is "fair use," so their streaming policies and distaste for people uploading their OSTs is really just following Japanese law to the letter--foolish in an increasingly globalizing world, sure, but ATLUS' not understanding the internet is hardly relevant when it comes to Smash representation.

Top Bottom