• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

i don't really like the design of jane personally, her cutsie look doesn't really fit the darker tones of persona 5/the phantom thieves
Maybe Atlus is keeping some stuff as secrets to surprise us with the character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
i don't really like the design of jane personally, her cutsie look doesn't really fit the darker tones of persona 5/the phantom thieves
I don't think her design is that cutesy, or at least, not to an overt degree over the other Phantom Thieves.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Same.
If you ask me, it fits good enough.
It's an interesting design to me. In a good way though. In particular, I am interested in the fact that she has both a big red bow and a tiny black bowtie. It's two things you don't typically see together and the fact that they bear the game's color theme makes it feel like a very purposeful design choice.

D

Deleted member

It's an interesting design to me. In a good way though. In particular, I am interested in the fact that she has both a big red bow and a tiny black bowtie. It's two things you don't typically see together and the fact that they bear the game's color theme makes it feel like a very purposeful design choice.
I am calling it right now:
She will be more than meets the eye and surprise everyone in some regards.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am calling it right now:
She will be more than meets the eye and surprise everyone in some regards.
Almost definitely. I think things will become a little more clear once was see her Metaverse attire and Persona.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Personality question.

There's a lot of projection of what people want from this girl who has said like 3 lines. I'm curious what the group dynamic would be most improved by. What would her niche be? Heavily summarized analysis GO!

Let's knock Ren out of the way first. He's cocky, snarky, and likes to tease people, playfully screwing around with his teammates when given the opportunity ("Time to button Mash"). He's also a silent protag so all the normal trait apply (Strong sense of justice, iron resolve, etc).

Ryuji's the traditional punk from a crap life that gets angry easily.

Morgana is the professional who overestimates himself and tends to be......uncomfortable and clumsy outside of his niche

Ann is like a valley girl with average intelligence and a heart.

Yusuke is the eccentric who regularly has no sense of the world around him

Makoto is the intelligent well mannered one that gets fired up and acts without thinking sometimes

Futaba is the anti-social genius with issues. Somehow has a better grasp on the real world than Yusuke

Haru is the kind to get swept up in everything, being kind and polite to the point of relinquishing her agency.

So based on what has already been established, what personality traits would you see the FeMC have that don't overlap with what we've already got here?

(And yes, even though they were both silent protags, P3's two MCs acted very differently. MC was on the emo spectrum of 'not caring, but actually caring', while FeMC was a light hearted bubbly type)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Personality question.

There's a lot of projection of what people want from this girl who has said like 3 lines. I'm curious what the group dynamic would be most improved by. What would her niche be? Heavily summarized analysis GO!

Let's knock Ren out of the way first. He's cocky, snarky, and likes to tease people, playfully screwing around with his teammates when given the opportunity ("Time to button Mash"). He's also a silent protag so all the normal trait apply (Strong sense of justice, iron resolve, etc).

Ryuji's the traditional punk from a crap life that gets angry easily.

Morgana is the professional who overestimates himself and tends to be......uncomfortable and clumsy outside of his niche

Ann is like a valley girl with average intelligence and a heart.

Yusuke is the eccentric who regularly has no sense of the world around him

Makoto is the intelligent well mannered one that gets fired up and acts without thinking sometimes

Futaba is the anti-social genius with issues. Somehow has a better grasp on the real world than Yusuke

Haru is the kind to get swept up in everything, being kind and polite to the point of relinquishing her agency.

So based on what has already been established, what personality traits would you see the FeMC have that don't overlap with what we've already got here?

(And yes, even though they were both silent protags, P3's two MCs acted very differently. MC was on the emo spectrum of 'not caring, but actually caring', while FeMC was a light hearted bubbly type)
I actually was thinking about something similar to this, except with roles. Each Phantom Thief fills a role that you would find in your typical caper crew, so I decided to try and figure out what she could do based off what the other already do. Acording to TV Tropes(As people perception on this subject is up to some interpretation)...
Joker is the Mastermind.

Mona swaps between Partner in Crime and the Burglar.

Skull is the Muscle.

Panther is the Conman.

Fox is a supernatural version of the Gadget Guy.

Queen is the Coordinator.

Oracle is the Hacker.

Noir is the Inside Man.

Crow is a combination of the New Kid and the Mark.

Again, this is up to some interpretation, but it's interesting to think about.
TV Tropes page for Caper Crew.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I actually was thinking about something similar to this, except with roles. Each Phantom Thief fills a role that you would find in your typical caper crew, so I decided to try and figure out what she could do based off what the other already do. Acording to TV Tropes(As people perception on this subject is up to some interpretation)...
Joker is the Mastermind.

Mona swaps between Partner in Crime and the Burglar.

Skull is the Muscle.

Panther is the Conman.

Fox is a supernatural version of the Gadget Guy.

Queen is the Coordinator.

Oracle is the Hacker.

Noir is the Inside Man.

Crow is a combination of the New Kid and the Mark.

Again, this is up to some interpretation, but it's interesting to think about.
TV Tropes page for Caper Crew.
I mean, the easy answer is that she's Mastermind v2.

But you know what would be fun? If she was a Roper.

amageish

Smash Master
Personality question.

I feel like Jane will be a lot less cocky and a lot more direct - an unequivocal badass who doesn't care to listen to people saying she's wrong, but isn't otherwise super social. If she's some sort of NPC/FeMC hybrid, then I think this would work well - she can be very talkactive when passionate about something (which she would often be if she doesn't love Ren and company), but then becomes a silent protagonist when in regular social situations.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, the easy answer is that she's Mastermind v2.

But you know what would be fun? If she was a Roper.
That would be interesting, and it would make sense in some regards.
She could be able to manipulate Akechi very well, as she has stated her disliking of the Phantom Thieves. My main problem is that the Phantom Thieves manipulated Akechi well enough without her, so her role could feel inconsequential. That is, unless she manipulates him for something else.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I'd like to point out that the twins (Justine and Caroline) could be the reason behind the pony tail model. However, this doesn't explain the name Jane, but it's certainly a possibility.

As much as I want a fem Joker option, the Royal trailer was pretty clear that this character was not Joker. They stand in Shibuya after at least Yusuke has joined the phantom thieves (note the updated logo on the giant screen) and they talk about how they disagree with the phantom thieves' methods. Even if they're not fem Joker, there still could be a gender option anyway, and that could end up being where the code name "Jane" is from.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
With how hyped the fandom is: Atlus would be so ****ed if this girl was just an NPC instead of the FeMC many want. Gonna see if Atlus really does know their target audience after all the spinoffs and events lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
With how hyped the fandom is: Atlus would be so ****ed if this girl was just an NPC instead of the FeMC many want. Gonna see if Atlus really does know their target audience after all the spinoffs and events lol.
Which are things the audience don't want because...?

amageish

Smash Master
I'd like to point out that the twins (Justine and Caroline) could be the reason behind the pony tail model. However, this doesn't explain the name Jane, but it's certainly a possibility.

As much as I want a fem Joker option, the Royal trailer was pretty clear that this character was not Joker. They stand in Shibuya after at least Yusuke has joined the phantom thieves (note the updated logo on the giant screen) and they talk about how they disagree with the phantom thieves' methods. Even if they're not fem Joker, there still could be a gender option anyway, and that could end up being where the code name "Jane" is from.
Uhhhhh, is that possible? Caroline and Justine are tiny in comparison to Joker, so having them be an alternate for him would be a headache and a half. They could appear in his moveset, I suppose, but that wouldn't explain why the ponytail was assoicated with costume seven in particular...

That said, it being in costume seven does bring something back up: Back when this datamine first happened, we discussed how it was odd as that implies it does not match the usual Male-Female alternating pattern used by Robin, Corrin, Villager, etc. If Moreinfo-chan is a new character with all of Joker's powers, but is not actually a genderbent Joker character-wise, then this would parallel the format of Alph as a skin of Olimar: Joker is 1-4, new girl is 5-8?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't follow.
I don't see people that upset about the spin off games or events. At least, not to the extent some people have been about some elements in the mainline Persona games. So I think Atlus understands their audience even with those things.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Uhhhhh, is that possible? Caroline and Justine are tiny in comparison to Joker, so having them be an alternate for him would be a headache and a half. They could appear in his moveset, I suppose, but that wouldn't explain why the ponytail was assoicated with costume seven in particular...

That said, it being in costume seven does bring something back up: Back when this datamine first happened, we discussed how it was odd as that implies it does not match the usual Male-Female alternating pattern used by Robin, Corrin, Villager, etc. If Moreinfo-chan is a new character with all of Joker's powers, but is not actually a genderbent Joker character-wise, then this would parallel the format of Alph as a skin of Olimar: Joker is 1-4, new girl is 5-8?
I was referring to his moveset, yes. Not an alternate costume. However, I did not know the specifics that it was only costume seven. Interesting. Is there a link to the original post?

amageish

Smash Master
I was referring to his moveset, yes. Not an alternate costume. However, I did not know the specifics that it was only costume seven. Interesting. Is there a link to the original post?
Yep! Here's the dataminer's tweet.

C06 = Costume 7 as they start counting at 0 for some reason...

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Yep! Here's the dataminer's tweet.

C06 = Costume 7 as they start counting at 0 for some reason...
That's just how variables work. That's very odd how it only applies to one costume. Is it possible this is related to a Yusuke alt? Yusuke has one of those fur tails that attaches to his belt.

Though, hopes up that it's a female alt.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

It's also possible it could be setup like this in the code for convenience. 00-03 male, 04-07 female and changed for the ui to alternate on the css. I wish we had strings for other characters with alts to compare.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was thinking earlier while shopping today, when you think about it ATLUS' methods can't remotely be compared to Square's in some ways, specifically this instance:

Making games that are related to a novel.

Normal brain (Square): pay the rights every time you want to use the name and just make a few games (Parasite Eve).
Galaxy brain (ATLUS): stick "Shin" in front of the name, and make a best-seller flagship video game franchise (Megami Tensei).

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, here's a spoiler filled question.
How do you think Jane will factor in when in comes to Yaldabaoth? Her comment very much goes against what he wants for society, so I doubt she was ever a factor in his plan. This is especially the case if she is another Wild Card user(Since she is very likely the Joker costume, this is a distinct possibility).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think Atlus wanted to convey some intrigue and mystery behind the surface with her. She's beautiful but the atmosphere and the conversation makes her out to be anything but just a pretty doll.

I mentioned this on the last page, but Ren has conversations about the phantom thieves too and you have the option to lie. Some people think that it could be a similar one (or her version of that choice). Why they would choose that one for the trailer could be precisely to throw us off about her. Or maybe not :p But to me it seems like she could be anything.

Somebody mentioned that a lot of japanese think she's a femc, and I dont know how far that's true but I was wondering why that is. and Is there something they got from the trailer that we didnt from the translation?

How do you think Jane will factor in when in comes to Yaldabaoth? Her comment very much goes against what he wants for society, so I doubt she was ever a factor in his plan. This is especially the case if she is another Wild Card user(Since she is very likely the Joker costume, this is a distinct possibility).
cant really answer since I didnt see that far, but from what they showed she seems to be her own person,.. if that says anything :p

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
That's just how variables work. That's very odd how it only applies to one costume. Is it possible this is related to a Yusuke alt? Yusuke has one of those fur tails that attaches to his belt.

Though, hopes up that it's a female alt.
Cool! I do not know anything about programming, so I was very confused why people said it was costume 7 haha. That said, the general asumption has been that the data is for more then one costume, but the colouration for costume seven was left in the code.

I also doubt it is related to any non-ponytail-physics, as it does explicitly call itself "hair."

stick "Shin" in front of the name, and make a best-seller flagship video game franchise (Megami Tensei).
"Shin" is a pun off of the word for "New" too, so it is literally the equivalent of Nintendo declaring "New Super Mario Brothers" an entirely new series.

Taking her comment at face value, it sounds like her complaint is that everyone should rebel themselves and not wait for a saviour to fix all their problems. So, I imagine she'd be anti-Yaldabaoth, as she still hates the notion of order - she just hates it to the point where she hates how the thieves still participate in it.

If she becomes a FeMC when Ren's locked up, then the thieves being willing to overthrow Yaldaboath could be a major part of her willingness to work with them, as it demonstrates how they do not wish to use their savoir status to act as jailkeepers of those weaker then them?

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Cool! I do not know anything about programming, so I was very confused why people said it was costume 7 haha. That said, the general asumption has been that the data is for more then one costume, but the colouration for costume seven was left in the code.

I also doubt it is related to any non-ponytail-physics, as it does explicitly call itself "hair."

"Shin" is a pun off of the word for "New" too, so it is literally the equivalent of Nintendo declaring "New Super Mario Brothers" an entirely new series.

Taking her comment at face value, it sounds like her complaint is that everyone should rebel themselves and not wait for a saviour to fix all their problems. So, I imagine she'd be anti-Yaldabaoth, as she still hates the notion of order - she just hates it to the point where she hates how the thieves still participate in it.

If she becomes a FeMC when Ren's locked up, then the thieves being willing to overthrow Yaldaboath could be a major part of her willingness to work with them, as it demonstrates how they do not wish to use their savoir status to act as jailkeepers of those weaker then them?
Interesting. It would make sense considering how Olimar/Alph work. If this character is considered generally a separate character from Joker (like the femc in p3p) then it all makes sense!

However, due to there being other possibilities we can't rule out, all we can do is really hope for whatever outcome we favor. Here's to hoping Joker's alts are interesting and unique!

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I don't see people that upset about the spin off games or events. At least, not to the extent some people have been about some elements in the mainline Persona games. So I think Atlus understands their audience even with those things.
Hopefully that means they know that people want a female protagonist which is hopefully who this new girl is.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, so far the only noteworthy thing that's been announced at Sega Fes is the latest Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games entry. Also, seeing Eggman in sporting fitness attire is hilariously weird.
Looks like there's a sega genesis classic too (or megadrive).
Hopefully they'll release it in the west too.

gonna check some more of it out, just skimming. wonder how much is going to be livestreamed.

And, here's a little p5r homage in animal crossing:p

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just caught the Persona 5 Royal trailer playing in between the presentations.
I think that's a really good sign, it means they're not only saving it for the persona sections.

Really curious what they'll talk about once it's time for persona :)

only other thing i saw up to now that was interesting is a mech game called Border Break. They played it and the action looks really good.
(besides sakura wars)

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I'm not familiar with this Sega Fes thing. When is Persona being talked? And why isn't there one big presentation? How long is this Sega Fes thing going to take?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not familiar with this Sega Fes thing. When is Persona being talked? And why isn't there one big presentation? How long is this Sega Fes thing going to take?
It's over the course of 2 days in japan. They started yesterday (for us)
It just turned to the 31st in japan now, so it should be the last day where the persona info and mini concert will be. I'm not sure if i have the schedule right, but it looks like the stream will be in around 12 hours from now, but persona is at the end which looks to be 4 hours later than that.

If someone wants to see what kind of persona stuff and art they have around at the fes, you can check this out:
https://personacentral.com/sega-fes-2019-great-atlus-exhibition-image-gallery/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What if the Phantom Thiefs crossed paths with Sora, Donald and Goofy?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What if the Phantom Thiefs crossed paths with Sora, Donald and Goofy?
That is an odd thing to bring up, but in Smash it is certainly possible. I guess it could be something similar to what happened in the BH6 world.

D

Deleted member

That is an odd thing to bring up, but in Smash it is certainly possible. I guess it could be something similar to what happened in the BH6 world.
Sora could be cool in Smash, yeah.
This question was just a thought I had since I started playing the games on KH:The Story So Far yesterday.

For some reason Persona came to my head while playing it.

Top Bottom