• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Is the animated version of Persona 5 worthwhile? I played several hours of P4Golden and really wasn't a fan of it so I never tried P5 but I'm honorbound to Smash to be familiar with everyone in the game. Or should I just watch a Let's Play?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The last release is in February 2020 they said. So I could see it like this.

Piranha Plant: February release
Joker: March trailer > June release
Fighter 2-3: E3 announcement > June release
Fighter 4: September announcement > October/November release
Fighter 5: December announcement > February release

Going off of Smash 4 DLC, where two fighters were announced at E3 in addition to Lucas and then we had to wait six months for Cloud to bereleased.
That makes sense. I could see that being the case.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, it's a shame that the music is likely going to be limited to just P5. It's an amazing soundtrack, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of P3 and P4 tracks that would be great for a Smash battle. If I could just choose just one though...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, I hope that the P5 crew has codecs, because, well, let me vent for a minute here.

Let me get this straight. Snake's codecs are reused from Brawl, his fighter voice clips are the same (I presume) and the KI cast doesn't even interact with him in their PG. So why was David Hayter brought back, then?? :confused:

Going off of Smash 4 DLC, where two fighters were announced at E3 in addition to Lucas and then we had to wait six months for Cloud to be released.
Pretty sure they said the pass deal would end in February 2020, not that they'd distribute the last character then, but we'll see what happens.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Let me get this straight. Snake's codecs are reused from Brawl, his fighter voice clips are the same (I presume) and the KI cast doesn't even interact with him in their PG. So why was David Hayter brought back, then?? :confused:
I presume it's because Campbell's Japanese voice actor died back in 2012. Also, an correct me if I am wrong, but I think his voice clips are different, as that is what they brought David back for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I presume it's because Campbell's Japanese voice actor died back in 2012. Also, an correct me if I am wrong, but I think his voice clips are different, as that is what they brought David back for.
Literally just that, huh. At least Hayter got front-row seats for Snake's comeback, I guess. I knew of Colonel's Japanese VA dying though, I was simply summing up the situation, is all.

That said, March would be a reasonable enough release window for Joker, if they'll do recording for a codec-type thing as well. In the meantime, a trailer for the second DLC character would be nice, though I wouldn't expect it until late January to early February at best.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Is the animated version of Persona 5 worthwhile? I played several hours of P4Golden and really wasn't a fan of it so I never tried P5 but I'm honorbound to Smash to be familiar with everyone in the game. Or should I just watch a Let's Play?
Definitely a Let's Play. The anime is...stylish, I guess, but it also messes up Joker's characterization and by doing that it messes up others as well. Like, in the game he's brimming with TONS of personality, even if you pick what specific lines he says. Watching the first few hours of the game will get you familiar with the character and some of his ensemble, and, well, if the first part doesn't hook you I don't know what will.

Give it a shot!

amageish

Smash Master
Definitely a Let's Play. The anime is...stylish, I guess, but it also messes up Joker's characterization and by doing that it messes up others as well. Like, in the game he's brimming with TONS of personality, even if you pick what specific lines he says. Watching the first few hours of the game will get you familiar with the character and some of his ensemble, and, well, if the first part doesn't hook you I don't know what will.

Give it a shot!
Yeah, the anime is decent if you've already played the game, but I wouldn't suggest watching it if you just want an overview of Ren's character. A Let's Play is definitely the better choice.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

Going off of Smash 4 DLC, where two fighters were announced at E3 in addition to Lucas and then we had to wait six months for Cloud to be released.
I'm hoping that they do a surprise similar to the one at E3, but instead of for Fighters 2 and 3, they release Joker's first gameplay trailer (likely in a Direct), announce a release date for Piranha Plant, and then reveal that he'll be released the same day. One free character for those who got the game early, and another for those who purchase him/the Fighters Pass!

I doubt it'll happen, especially since his reveal trailer not having any gameplay suggests that his development is still in the very early stages, like with Mewtwo's reveal in Smash 4... but I sure hope so!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm hoping that they do a surprise similar to the one at E3, but instead of for Fighters 2 and 3, they release Joker's first gameplay trailer (likely in a Direct), announce a release date for Piranha Plant, and then reveal that he'll be released the same day. One free character for those who got the game early, and another for those who purchase him/the Fighters Pass!

I doubt it'll happen, especially since his reveal trailer not having any gameplay suggests that his development is still in the very early stages, like with Mewtwo's reveal in Smash 4... but I sure hope so!
I was thinking more along the lines of, the Direct happens around the time PP is out, after covering his release it goes on to feature everything related to Joker, then caps it off with "one more thing". Boom, pass fighter #2's trailer plays out and ends right after. That is assuming it's a Smash Direct, anyway.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if they will include Piranha Plant and Joker into that big-ass picture with all the characters once they're out. Like after Joker's gameplay trailer (or even Fighter 2's reveal trailer), they show the big mural again to add in Piranha Plant, Joker and Fighter Pass character #2.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
When I first saw this thread a couple weeks ago I rolled my eyes, persona 5 isn’t even on switch I thought, as much as I love that game and is one of my favorite games of all time. But the more I thought about it, the more I rationalized it. ATLUS should have a rep, normally I would think Jack Frost, but it’s not like a chocobo got into smash to represent final fantasy. Cloud did, a popular character known to be on PlayStation. Why can’t Joker do the same?

I’m all in
If we get a trailer and persona music starts playing i’ll cry

I screamed when this was announced, I was a Nintendo only fan for a long time and only after I got a vita and played persona 4 golden that I found a non Nintendo series I truly loved
And I waited years for persona 5 and loved it when it finally came out and loved joker’s design

This is a dream come true and I’m so glad this is a reality

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

We'll likely see fighter 3 announced at EVO

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the confirmation email they have an upper limit of February 2020 as the last release date. I'm sure they'll all be released before that, but that's the closest to a deadline we have.

Screenshot_20181207-113141.png

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's been almost a week and I still can't believe it. Persona 5 is my favorite video game of all time by a large margin. It really is a dream come true that he's coming to smash. First Ridley and K Rool and now this! Sakurai's trying to kill me with hype.

leon3789

Smash Rookie
I'm still not convinced this isn't all a dream. Ultimate's entire hype cycle I never once showed support for Joker besides noting once or twice on Gamefaqs how much I would LOVE him being in the game, but when that reveal happened...my friend I was messaging at the time thought I was having a stroke, I was ACTUALLY shaking from...joy? Excitment? I dunno but....I have not felt hype like that in a LONG time...

I didn't even think to stop by here and see how this board was taking it until about 5 minutes ago lol

StormC

Smash Hero
Why is Page 13 of this thread still such a blast to read from? :D
Ridley, K. Rool and Joker all have the best posts to read regarding their confirmation.

Obviously Ridley was huge and even if he was leaked, there was a lot of room for reasonable doubt at the time.

K. Rool was a complete blindside, especially after the "no new DK rep" nonsense, and the only unique newcomer that wasn't leaked.

Joker was seen as a Never Ever and was also not leaked. While a lot of people expected a Smash character at VGA, they surely didn't expect THAT one.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ridley, K. Rool and Joker all have the best posts to read regarding their confirmation.

Obviously Ridley was huge and even if he was leaked, there was a lot of room for reasonable doubt at the time.

K. Rool was a complete blindside, especially after the "no new DK rep" nonsense, and the only unique newcomer that wasn't leaked.

Joker was seen as a Never Ever and was also not leaked. While a lot of people expected a Smash character at VGA, they surely didn't expect THAT one.
It's really a great comparison. While Ridley and K. Rool had longevity on their side, with Joker I really felt that kinship with those two groups. I still think I'm dreaming sometimes. Something about the never-ever status, the recency, and how the character and game really touched the hearts of those who supported him, plus having to hear from other people how unlikely he was as if it was news to us...

No amount of saying to my friends or posting in this thread "What if Joker was in Smash?" prepared me for how I actually reacted at the reveal. I get excited about Smash reveals anyway but something about this tremendous catharsis that came with the trailer is impossible to put into words.

It's funny. I didn't want to be presumptuous and compare the Ridley or K. Rool fans to us in any way, but I really feel there's a lot of similarities and I like that.

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally Joker is the most exciting newcomer so far after K. Rool and Ridley. I think he’ll bring a great flavor unlike any Smash fighter before him.

Last edited:

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
I'm still in shock that Joker made it, he was my number one most wanted character, but I didn't think he was realistic then, so I thought of other characters that were moreso. I'm so happy for him (I know this is days late, but I haven't been here in a bit.

Definitely the most hype newcomer since Cloud for me.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's funny. I'm the only person here who didn't think he was a pipe dream. I constantly argued that Joker had a very good chance, then I gave up on him at the last second. And I literally gave up just because I thought it had been confirmed that the dlc was decided in 2015.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
It's funny. I'm the only person here who didn't think he was a pipe dream. I constantly argued that Joker had a very good chance, then I gave up on him at the last second. And I literally gave up just because I thought it had been confirmed that the dlc was decided in 2015.
I think the fact that if it was decided in 2015, it actually boosted his chance tremendously thanks to the Persona 5 release. I mean, you can see Smash Ultimate just oozing in inspiration from Persona in a lot of things.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the fact that if it was decided in 2015, it actually boosted his chance tremendously thanks to the Persona 5 release. I mean, you can see Smash Ultimate just oozing in inspiration from Persona in a lot of things.
The most obvious one I've noticed is Galeem
and Dharkom
in general. Would fit right in SMT, it's almost as if Ultimate actually was a spin-off from that series.

Also, the English voice actors for every Persona main male character since 2 each voice a specific character, incidentally.

I'm still not convinced this isn't all a dream. Ultimate's entire hype cycle I never once showed support for Joker besides noting once or twice on Gamefaqs how much I would LOVE him being in the game, but when that reveal happened...my friend I was messaging at the time thought I was having a stroke, I was ACTUALLY shaking from...joy? Excitment? I dunno but....I have not felt hype like that in a LONG time...

I didn't even think to stop by here and see how this board was taking it until about 5 minutes ago lol
I haven't been so excited for a third-party since :ultsonic: way back in Brawl. That's huge, let me tell you.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
and Dharkom
in general. Would fit right in SMT, it's almost as if Ultimate actually was a spin-off from that series.

Also, the English voice actors for every Persona main male character since 2 each voice a specific character, incidentally.

I haven't been so excited for a third-party since :ultsonic: way back in Brawl. That's huge, let me tell you.
You mean they all voice somebody in Smash? P3 has Marth's and the announcer has P5's, if that's the case what do the others voice?

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Once Piranha Plant comes out, I'm going to make a new save file in World of Light to see if DLC characters are playable in WoL and join Kirby by default. If they do, then hot damn would that be a funny scenario: Kirby, Piranha Plant and Joker saving the fighters from Galeem's hold. How's that for an unlikely trio? (or squad with DLC chars 2-5) Lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Once Piranha Plant comes out, I'm going to make a new save file in World of Light to see if DLC characters are playable in WoL and join Kirby by default. If they do, then hot damn would that be a funny scenario: Kirby, Piranha Plant and Joker saving the fighters from Galeem's hold. How's that for an unlikely trio? (or squad with DLC chars 2-5) Lol.
I like to think that PP buried himself in the ground far enough that the light beams managed to miss him, then he comes out only after Joker and Kirby have set off for adventure.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh yes.

Johnny Young Bosch, who did Yu Narukami from P4, is the Zero AT, while Keith Silverstein did P2's Tatsuya and does Simon here.
Laura Bailey, the P3 FeMC, is also still Lucina in Smash Bros Ultimate (in spite of Lucina having been recast in most FE spin-offs). So, we're just missing Maya, and Boy with Earring (assuming we don't count Aigis, Rise, or the other characters who briefly have stints as the MC).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like to think that PP buried himself in the ground far enough that the light beams managed to miss him, then he comes out only after Joker and Kirby have set off for adventure.
But if he escaped by digging, how come Muddy Mole is a Spirit?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Persona 5 didn't come out until late 2016. I do agree about Persona inspiration in smash though. You can see it in the menus too.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I bet Joker's Classic Mode has him going through and defeating all the Phantom Thieves and then they join your crew, except the last one:

• Morgana: Black Incineroar
  • Ryuji: Blonde Pit
  • Ann: Red ZSS
  • Yusuke: White Marth
  • Makoto: Black Shiek
  • Futaba: Normal Inkling
  • Haru: Pink Daisy
  • Akechi: Black Hair, Red & White Robin

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Morgana needs a Spirit battle with Incineroar and a sleep inducing stage effect.

leon3789

Smash Rookie
and Dharkom

I was telling my friend yesterday as I was fight Galeem that he honestly just felt and looked like a boss pulled directly from a Persona game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was telling my friend yesterday as I was fight Galeem that he honestly just felt and looked like a boss pulled directly from a Persona game.
Oh, and speaking of the SMT metaverse, this now officially means we get representation from a franchise stuffed with Christian references. If people got worried about Devil World stuff in Smash before, they'd have an aneurysm over knowing what SMT has. :p

Top Bottom