• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi, i'm new here but have been playing Smash 4 since October 3, 2014. And....I need help with breaking a few habits XD

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Ever since I started trying to get better at Sm4sh, which was around 2016, I started to develop 2 bad habits (and they are BAD)

1) I can't stop rolling

2) I rarely ever, if ever, shield

It may be a bit late now (with Ultimate on the way) but is there a good way to start breaking myself of these bad habits?

PS - Don't know if this matters or not, but I mostly play Falco

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Well you already did the first step and acknowledged that you have these problems. The next step is to apply these problems in your next match and actively think about them.

You say that you roll alot so stop rolling in your next game. It may feel odd or off but it will help you. I think you have these problems because you play on auto-pilot.

It may sound simple at first but just thinking about your actions in a match rather than just doing whatever out of a panic will come in handy.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Well you already did the first step and acknowledged that you have these problems. The next step is to apply these problems in your next match and actively think about them.

You say that you roll alot so stop rolling in your next game. It may feel odd or off but it will help you. I think you have these problems because you play on auto-pilot.

It may sound simple at first but just thinking about your actions in a match rather than just doing whatever out of a panic will come in handy.
Yeah, that’s the best place to keep trying. But I also have a problem with hardly ever shielding. It probably goes hand in hand with rolling too much, but idk, any advice on that?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
You can take the same advice that I gave for rolling and apply it to shielding. Without seeing your gameplay or your controller (if you have trouble with that), I don't have much to say.

You can try shielding laggy attacks so you cab punish them. Or due to your lack of a shielding habit, you may be able to throw some of your opponents off if they expect you to shield in a certain scenario.

Do you know of smashcords? If you would like, you could join a character server for your main and ask for advice there since the boards on this site are inactive for the most part and many smashboard users moved there.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You can take the same advice that I gave for rolling and apply it to shielding. Without seeing your gameplay or your controller (if you have trouble with that), I don't have much to say.

You can try shielding laggy attacks so you cab punish them. Or due to your lack of a shielding habit, you may be able to throw some of your opponents off if they expect you to shield in a certain scenario.

Do you know of smashcords? If you would like, you could join a character server for your main and ask for advice there since the boards on this site are inactive for the most part and many smashboard users moved there.
Hmm, ok I think I might try that. Thanks!

nitric

Smash Rookie
I've been casually playing this game with my friends since its launch. A few weeks ago I met this guy in my work who also plays Smash, so we agreed to play that night.

I had a lot of confidence, I know that rolling it's not too good against experienced players (which I met before playing online) but if you have a good timing you can win eitherway.

Oh man I was wrong. This dude never used his roll, like, never. What he did instead? Perfect shields, grabs and perfect pivots. If I tried to rush him with a dash attack, he shielded and then punished me. When I thought he was going to block, he did grabs or perfect pivots. Oh, do I want to spam **** from far away? Let me present you shield dashing.

So that's where I found that some mechanics are simply better because you can:

-Avoid damage
-Do more damage

For instance, if you Roll Spam, a Marth can expect that and punish you with his side B. Or, someone can go directly to grab you and execute a combo.

What can I do instead? Get out while foxtrotting; try to pull a perfect shield and then punish; pull a perfect pivot and tilt attack, etc. Doing a roll is the worst that you can do usually.

A simple foxtrot will take you as far as rolling, while having much less ending lag. A perfect pivot too, but also, you can do damage or perform a grab. Anything gives you better results, even dodging in the place will do the trick.

And what really changes everything for me is shield dashing, you can shield faster and also cover spaces. Someone is spamming missiles? You can aproach while shielding. What can you do instantly out of a shield? Grabbing or jump cancelling to up smash.

Sorry for the long story by the way, I recommend you to watch the Izaw's Art of Smash, everything there is worth to watch. Learn other mechanics, Specially shield dashing.

tl;dr: If you learn to perform perfect pivots, tomahawks, shield dashing consistently, you will forget about rolling and start to shield constantly.

Top Bottom