• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi I'm new and need some help getting started

Corona

Smash Apprentice
Good to see we are around the same area still. WDing Falco is a ***** though, not easy! SHL are starting to look ok, though. My Link is still my best option, but it is closer now than it has ever been.

StoryTime

Smash Apprentice
ok while trying to polish up my WDing i noticed i'm having trouble WDing back. like I can WD back a couple times but then I end up turning around and WDing forward. Any advice on how to fix that? Also, I'm going to a local tourney tomorrow to play friendlies since I don't have time to enter the tourney but this'll be the first time going against human players so hopefully I can link some matches that were recorded at the venue and get your feedback. :)

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
if you're turning around before wavedashing, it probably means that you're tilting the control stick preemptively before you do the jump input.

i know alot of people describe wavedashing with X/Y + R as sort of "squeezing" the controller, but really you're pressing X/Y first and then pressing R; there just isn't very much time between the two steps. and the control stick movement should be tied to that second step.

it's a really subtle timing chain, but just think about the order of operations for a wavedash:
1. jump
2. airdodge diagonally into the ground

so:
1. press X/Y
2. tilt the control stick diagonal-down + press R

WWGenesis

Smash Cadet
Short Hopping very consistently with Sheik is still a bother - It still feels a bit uncomfortable and hard to maneuver around the field (space effectively).

Reverse needles aren't consistent enough, though tech chasing, hit confirming juggles, dancedashing and JC grabs are getting better ...

Corona

Smash Apprentice
ok while trying to polish up my WDing i noticed i'm having trouble WDing back. like I can WD back a couple times but then I end up turning around and WDing forward. Any advice on how to fix that? Also, I'm going to a local tourney tomorrow to play friendlies since I don't have time to enter the tourney but this'll be the first time going against human players so hopefully I can link some matches that were recorded at the venue and get your feedback. :)
Why am I not surprised that you went to a tournament today? I was at one, too hahaha. It was great to see M2K, Korean DJ, Th0rn, and Hax doing their thing. I, however, need to really focus on applying the stuff I have been training on in the matches. I don't think I WD'd the entire day! Now, to my defense, my Link took over when my Falco wasn't cutting it and WDing is not as important with him, but I could have really done it more. Still, I was definitely not the the worst there, which is how I felt at my first tourny. Goal met.

StoryTime

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately I was not able to get any recorded matches but I was 4 stocked on many occasions, which were followed by fellow smashers' words of wisdom. I got to see how my spacing looks in an actual battle and I do in fact need to work on it a looooooootttttttt. I was given tips on how to get back on the stage from the ledge as well. I had to leave because of time constraints before I could battle in the Loser's Bracket (I was sent there from a 2-0 match against a Marth lololol) but thankfully the Marth wasn't someone who had been playing for a year or three years or five years, but instead 3 months so the first game ended with him 2 stocking me. The second game I was 3 stocked haha. I took a lot from this experience and it was loads of fun. I'm definitely gonna hit the grind and work on my movement game which is extremely important. Also, I ended up learning the hard way how bad it is to play in your shield... Mmmmm that was an eye opener.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I was not able to get any recorded matches but I was 4 stocked on many occasions, which were followed by fellow smashers' words of wisdom. I got to see how my spacing looks in an actual battle and I do in fact need to work on it a looooooootttttttt. I was given tips on how to get back on the stage from the ledge as well. I had to leave because of time constraints before I could battle in the Loser's Bracket (I was sent there from a 2-0 match against a Marth lololol) but thankfully the Marth wasn't someone who had been playing for a year or three years or five years, but instead 3 months so the first game ended with him 2 stocking me. The second game I was 3 stocked haha. I took a lot from this experience and it was loads of fun. I'm definitely gonna hit the grind and work on my movement game which is extremely important. Also, I ended up learning the hard way how bad it is to play in your shield... Mmmmm that was an eye opener.

Of course you need to work on spacing, you haven't played anybody before. It happens. That's good about the ledge though. It's a little more limited as Falcon but it's still possible. Jump on aerials, wavelanding on, sometimes just jumping on, etc.

Good that you're learning how important movement is in relation to the movement itself, but also how it applies to trying to not be put in shield as Falcon because it sucks when you get there. You can also practice all or mostly movement in matches vs people next time. Just don't attack much and go for DD grab as much as you can and you'll learn some good times to use it. Isolated use of good techniques is a really good way to learn to use said things faster sometimes.
Also something random I would suggest getting better at because I'm thinking about it, but I'd say try getting down running SHFFL'd up air as Falcon. It's what you'll be using in combos most because it's really good and it's guaranteed on most characters at least 2 times.

Top Bottom