• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hf.lan 5 - Ice, Over, Jeapie, Faab, Remen, Jimmy,... - June 1st, 2013 - Noisy-le-Grand, France

Slhoka

Smash Lord
June 1st-2nd
Noisy-le-Grand, France

TL;DR information :
June 1st-2nd (confirmed)
Near Paris, France
64 players
Great venue, with a giant screen in an auditorium to watch finals
Free drinks
Amazing staff

The hf.lan series is back !
Since March 2011, this tournament series became a reference in terms of tournament hosting in France. All three events were unquestionable successes, each of them featuring improvements over the previous event : better players, more hype, more services... And this new edition will not be an exception ! Once again, we'll make our best to make this event close to perfection !

What is hf.lan ?

One of the best-run tournaments you could attend, awaited by all those who attended one of the previous editions.
The reason for this is that it was one of the best-run tournament the French community has ever seen. Here's a short summary of what was done at hf.lan and will be there again :
  • A large venue (the tournament takes place in the canteen of a huge engineer school)
  • Many setups : the hf.lan series fits in the average TV/players ratio at French tournaments : close to 3. It means you almost never have to wait in order to play.
  • Free drinks during the whole event, including RedBull.
  • Free or really cheap food for the lunches of Saturday and Sunday.
  • Couches : in front of many TVs (not all of them), there were large couches to be comfy while you play.
  • The top games were played in a 400+ seats auditorium, on a large movie screen.
  • One of the most dedicated staff there could be.
So basically, the hf.lan is an amazing tournament series.

Now for the practical information :

When ?

June 1st-2nd, 2013

The venue is going to open on Saturday morning, and will close on Sunday evening. You can stay during the night.

Where ?

Noisy-le-Grand, France. This city isn't far from Paris and easy to reach with the public transportation system.

The venue

ESIEE Paris
2 boulevard Blaise Pascal
Cité Descartes
Noisy-le-Grand

See it on a map !

The venue is an engineer school, and a huge one that is ! We're using the canteen, which is really large and easily provides enough space. Couches are set in front of some TVs in order to play comfortably.
In addition to the canteen, the auditorium will also be used for the most hyped sets. It has space for 400+ people, features a giant screen as well as a scene at the bottom for the players.

You can see more pictures of the venue in the photo albums of hf.lan 4 and hf.lan 3

Who ?

In order to manage the event more efficiently, the ESIEE staff sets an attendance limit, which rose with every edition. This time, the tournament is limited to 64 players. However, to help international attendance, the staff considers setting up a quota reserved for international players.

The hosts

The tournament is hosted by the members of the school's gaming club. They do not enter de tournament, but play smash often and follow the activity of the international scene. While one might think that not being a part of the smash community could make them care less about smash players, the reality is actually the opposite. Their dedication is absolutely remarkable, and they always listen to the players' need to make the tournament a better experience.

They will take care of the logistics, budget, and pretty much everything but running the tournament in itself. That will be the part handled by LeFrenchMelee, the French Melee players association.

Events

The tournament will feature singles and doubles.

Singles : 64 players: 8 pools of 8 followed by a 32-man bracket.
Doubles : 32 teams: 4 pools of 8, top 4 making it to a 16-team bracket.
These are subject to change. An amateur bracket may take place for both tournaments, but isn't garanteed.

Depending of the attendants and the time available, other events could happen, such as a crew battle.

Sadly, we won't have a Project M tournament. While we definitely support the game, we decided to focus on offering a perfect Melee experience for this tournament, and decided to drop Project M for that reason. However, a few PM TVs will be set up for friendlies.

Equipment

I talked to one of the main hosts a few days ago and we had a common aim : one setups for every 3 players. It would mean 21 or 22 setups, and, it addition to helping the tournament run faster, it would allow everyone to find free TVs whenever they want.

Registration

Registration will take place on the HF-Lan website. It isn't open at the moment, but will be available this weekend. If the 64 players limit is reached, a reserve list will be set up.
Registration will open on Sunday, May 5th, at 12:00 pm (Paris time).

Entry fees and prizes*
*All fees and prizes are subject to change

Entry fees

Venue fee : 8€
Singles tournament : 10€*
Doubles tournament : 7€ per player

Prizes

The pot should be separated as follows :
|Singles|Doubles
1st|50%|51%
2nd|25%|25,5%
3rd|15%|15,50%
4th|10%|8%
5th to 8th|10€|7€
Assuming 64 players in singles and 32 teams in doubles, it would mean the following :
|Singles|Doubles
1st|300€|100€ each
2nd|150€|50€ each
3rd|90€|30€ each
4th|60€|16€ each
5th to 8th|10€|TBD

Schedule

The venue opens on saturday morning, and closes on sunday evening.
Detailed schedule is TBD, but singles should be played on Saturday, and doubles on Sunday.

Ruleset

The ruleset isn't ready yet, but it will be similar to what's usaully done at French tournaments.

Food, housing, and travel information

Food

Last time, the hf.lan staff served free drinks, including red bull. Additionnally, they served hot dogs for 1€ at lunch, and sold pizzas for dinner.
But there are also some shops in the neighbourhood where you can buy food.

Housing

On saturday evening, the venue will be open and you will be able to stay there. However, we will not have a sleeping room, and therefore, you're likely not to have a great night because of the noise or the light.
However, there are two hotels located less than 5 minutes away from the venue : the first one costs ≈30€/night for 3 persons, and the second one costs ≈65€/night/2 persons. It is strongly advised to book a bit before the tournament as last time, the hotel was full on the night of the tournament.
Also, there are no showers at the venue.

If you need housing before or after the tournament, Parisian smashers may be able to help you. Please contact me if you need housing (see Contact section).

Travel information

The venue is located 500 m away from the RER Station on the A line. From there, a trip to Paris takes 20 mn and costs 4€. Please contact me if you need information regarding transportation : I'll help you choose the most convenient route.

Other games

hf.lan began as a multi-games event, including, Melee, Brawl, SC2, LOL, … and then, the list shrinked to keep the most active communities.
hf.lan 4 will feature Melee and Starcraft 2. I don't have much information regarding the Starcraft event, but if you are interested, just ask and I'll get what you need.

Smash-unrelated interests

The tournament will not take place in Paris, but so close it is pretty much the same. Paris is a beautiful and very lively city, and sightseeing can be great there.

If you plan to attend the tournament and want some information about great places to visit, make sure to contact me.

Updates

We will stream the tournament on LeFrenchMelee's Twitch account.
We will also make Twitter updates on LeFrenchMelee, the french community's Twitter account.

Contact

Slhoka
Check my profile for IM accounts, send me an e-mail, or ask me on facebook !
Make sure to contact me if you have any question.

Here are a few more pictures from the previous hf.lans so you can see what hf.lan 5 will be like :

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Btw, since it seems like the post is pretty much a copy/paste of the last one, is the 64 person limit final? I think a good number of German players would like to go, so it would be great if it were higher.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Btw, since it seems like the post is pretty much a copy/paste of the last one, is the 64 person limit final? I think a good number of German players would like to go, so it would be great if it were higher.
At the moment, I'd say yes. There is a possibilty for an higher limit, but I'll probably know it quite late =/

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Registration will take place on Sunday, May 5th, at 12 pm (Paris time). That's tomorrow at noon !
Since there's an issue with online payment, you won't have to pay when registering online.

Make sure to be ready, though : last time, we had 40 players registered after only 20 mn, and all 64 under 10 hours.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
website crashes after filling in my name,tournament,email. Is it google crome causing the problem?

Edit: Shloka helped me out. Thanks dude

Slhoka

Smash Lord
So right now we have 60 people registered out of 64 spots :

Shloub
NMW
Doraki
Zen
Styx
Faab
Cromat
Authenticks
Filty
RedjilFoxX
Jeapie
Droopy
Remen
Chikusho
Adam
Ser
DonCookie
Askelink
Jimmy
Mahie
Ace
Rocky
Cyr
MikeHaggar
Aska
Zoler
Charlon
Android
Qlex
C.Love
Lguy
Samplay
Aether
Ice
CM
Dero
Gorn
Freek
Fauster
Joanna Dark
Salepâte
PiKaLeX
Alox
porc
Kurogane
BSeeD
Tekk
Maxattack
Link69
mudi
Xanob
Snaken7
Over
Qual
HardbulleT
MetalFox
Latouffe
JiM
8== Mono' ==D
Nedved

If you have any issue with registration, just ask me !

Armada

Smash Lord
60 spots taken already?
Damn

Was thinking about maybe going just for fun (50/50 If I can or not) but don't think I can give a answer that fast because of work etc :p

Slhoka

Smash Lord
60 spots taken already?
Damn

Was thinking about maybe going just for fun (50/50 If I can or not) but don't think I can give a answer that fast because of work etc :p
If you don't enter the tournament, you can forget about this 64 people restriction, so no worries here ;)

Armada

Smash Lord
Cool!
Well it's just a maybe but will decide in the next few days if I end up going or not.

Armada

Smash Lord
Im not gonna go to this either.
But wish everyone good luck at the tournament and a great experience =)

For those of you that have been to a HF-lan before know what this tournaments series has to offer. For those of you that haven't will have a great experience!

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Here's an update on the registration list :

Main list

1. Shloub
  2. NMW
  3. Doraki
  4. Zen
  5. Styx
  6. Faab
  7. Cromat
  8. Authenticks
  9. Filty
  10. RedjilFoxX
  11. Jeapie
  12. Droopy
  13. Remen
  14. Chikusho
  15. Adam
  16. Ser
  17. DonCookie
  18. Askelink
  19. Jimmy
  20. Mahie
  21. Ace
  22. Rocky
  23. Cyr
  24. MikeHaggar
  25. Aska
  26. Charlon
  27. Qlex
  28. C.Love
  29. Lguy
  30. Samplay
  31. Ice
  32. CM
  33. Dero
  34. Gorn
  35. Freek
  36. Fauster
  37. Joanna Dark
  38. Salepâte
  39. PiKaLeX
  40. Alox
  41. porc
  42. Kurogane
  43. BSeeD
  44. Tekk
  45. Maxattack
  46. Link69
  47. mudi
  48. Xanob
  49. Snaken7
  50. Overtriforce
  51. Qual
  52. HardbulleT
  53. MetalFox
  54. JiM
  55. Nedved
  56. ZeTtroxX
  57. DjaGoF
  58. Willy
  59. StorMyu
  60. Dev
  61. pelotaz0
  62. dnblz
  63. Intart
  64. Seb
Waiting list

1. Vahe
  2. Shrek
  3. Boubou
  4. Goblindestroyer
  5. BlackRainbow
You are in the main list? :awesome:
Awesome! While the entry fee should be paid online in the next few days, you will have a spot anyway! So you can buy your travel tickets if you didn't do that already.

You aren't in the list yet? :urg:
Then don't wait and register on www.hf-lan.fr/en! The list is changing quickly, so even if you are put in the waiting list, you are still likely to get a spot !

Slhoka

Smash Lord
put me in the waiting list
Tu dois t'inscrire sur le site (http://hf-lan.fr/fr/), c'est ça qui génère la liste d'attente. Faut que tu arrives juste qu'à l'étape 3 de l'inscription, tu seras en attente.

France stepping it up. Look at all those frenchies! o_0
And yet, a fair amount of them cannot attend because quite a few people have exams around that time. And also, I didn't advertise the tournament that much.

France's community is fairly large, but it's gonna grow a lot, I'm convinced of it.

Top Bottom