• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HF-Lan 4 - Armada, Zgetto, Leffen, Over, Baxon, Cyr, Salepâte, Sampulay

Slhoka

Smash Lord
HF-LAN 4(ever)

December 1st-2nd
Noisy-le-Grand, France

TL;DR information :
December 1st-2nd (confirmed)
Near Paris, France
64 players
Great venue, with a giant screen in an auditorium to watch finals
Free drinks
Amazing staff

The HF-Lan series is back !
Since March 2011, this tournament series became a reference in terms of tournament hosting in France. All three events were unquestionable successes, each of them featuring improvements over the previous event : better players, more hype, more services... And this new edition will not be an exception ! Once again, we'll make our best to make this event close to perfection !

What is the HF-Lan ?

One of the best-run tournaments you could attend, awaited by all those who attended one of the previous editions.
The reason for this is that it was one of the best-run tournament the French community has ever seen. Here's a short summary of what was done at HF-Lan and will be there again :
  • A large venue (the tournament takes place in the canteen of a huge engineer school)
  • Many setups : the HF-Lan series fits in the average TV/players ratio at French tournaments : close to 3. It means you almost never have to wait in order to play.
  • Free drinks during the whole event, including RedBull.
  • Free or really cheap food for the lunches of saturday and sunday.
  • Couches : in front of many TVs (not all of them), there were large couches to be comfy while you play.
  • The top games were played in a 400+ seats auditorium, on a large movie screen.
  • One of the most dedicated staff there could be.

So basically, the HF-Lan is an amazing tournament series.

Now for the practical information :

When ?

December 1st-2nd, 2012

The venue is going to open on Saturday morning, and will close on Sunday evening. You can stay during the night.

Where ?

Noisy-le-Grand, France. This city isn't far from Paris and easy to reach with the public transportation system.

The venue

ESIEE Paris
2 boulevard Blaise Pascal
Cité Descartes
Noisy-le-Grand

See it on a map !

The venue is an engineer school, and a huge one that is ! We're using the canteen, which is really large and easily provides enough space. Couches are set in front of some TVs in order to play comfortably.
In addition to the canteen, the auditorium will also be used for the most hyped sets. It has space for 400+ people, features a giant screen as well as a scene at the bottom for the players.

You can see more pictures of the venue in the photo albums of HF-Lan 2 and HF-Lan 3

Who ?

In order to manage the event more efficiently, the ESIEE staff sets an attendance limit, which rose with every edition. This time, the tournament is limited to 64 players. However, to help international attendance, the staff considers setting up a quota reserved for international players.

The hosts

The tournament is hosted by the members of the school's gaming club. They do not enter de tournament, but play smash often and follow the activity of the international scene. While one might think that not being a part of the smash community could make them care less about smash players, the reality is actually the opposite. Their dedication is absolutely remarkable, and they always listen to the players' need to make the tournament a better experience.

They will take care of the logistics, budget, and pretty much everything but running the tournament in itself. That will be the part I will handle with a few other smashers.

Events

The tournament will feature singles and doubles.

Singles : 64 players, most likely 7 turns of swiss rounds followed by a 32-man bracket.
Doubles : 32 teams, most likely 4 pools of 8, top 4 making it to a 16-team bracket.
These are subject to change. An amateur bracket may take place for both tournaments, but isn't garanteed.

Depending of the attendants and the time available, other events could happen, such as a crew battle.

Sadly, we won't have a Project M tournament. While we definitely support the game, we decided to focus on offering a perfect Melee experience for this tournament, and decided to drop Project M for that reason. However, a few PM TVs will be set up for friendlies.

Equipment

I talked to one of the main hosts a few days ago and we had a common aim : one setups for every 3 players. It would mean 21 or 22 setups, and, it addition to helping the tournament run faster, it would allow everyone to find free TVs whenever they want.

Registration

Registration will take place on the HF-Lan website. It isn't open at the moment, but it should be available soon. If the 64 players limit is reached, a reserve list will be set up.

Entry fees and prizes*
*All fees and prizes are subject to change

Entry fees

Venue fee : 8€
Singles tournament : 10€*
Doubles tournament : 7€ per player*

Prizes

The pot should be separated as follows :
|Singles|Doubles
1st|50%|51%
2nd|25%|25,5%
3rd|15%|15,50%
4th|10%|8%
5th to 8th|10€|7€
Assuming 64 players in singles and 32 teams in doubles, it would mean the following :
|Singles|Doubles
1st|300€|100€ each
2nd|150€|50€ each
3rd|90€|30€ each
4th|60€|16€ each
5th to 8th|10€|TBD

Schedule

The venue opens on saturday morning, and closes on sunday evening.
Detailed schedule is TBD.

Ruleset

The ruleset will be similar to the previous HF-Lan ruleset, which can be found here.
This ruleset is fairly standard, and only use 6 stages : Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Pokémon Stadium, Yoshi's Story.

Food, housing, and travel information

Food

Last time, the HF-Lan staff served free drinks, including red bull. Additionnally, they served hot dogs for 1€ at lunch, and sold pizzas for dinner.
But there are also some shops in the neighbourhood where you can buy food.

Housing

On saturday evening, the venue will be open and you will be able to stay there. Just bring what you need to sleep.
If you need housing before or after the tournament, some Parisian smashers may be able to help you. Please contact me if you need housing (see Contact section). There are also hotels close to the venue, including one costing about 30€/night for 3 persons.

Sadly, there are no showers at the venue.

Travel information

The venue is located 500 m away from the RER Station on the A line. From there, a trip to Paris takes 20 mn and costs 4€. Please contact me if you need information regarding transportation : I'll help you choose the most convenient route.

Other games

HF-Lan began as a multi-games event, including, Melee, Brawl, SC2, LOL, … and then, the list shrinked to keep the most active communities.
HF-Lan 4 will feature Melee and Starcraft 2. I don't have much information regarding the Starcraft event, but if you are interested, just ask and I'll get what you need.

Smash-unrelated interests

The tournament will not take place in Paris, but so close it is pretty much the same. Paris is a beautiful and very lively city, and sightseeing can be great there.

If you plan to attend the tournament and want some information about great places to visit, don't hesitate to ask.

Updates

We intend to stream the tournament. I don't know the link yet, but this post will be updated with more information.
We will also make Twitter updates on LeFrenchMelee, the french community's Twitter account.

Contact

Slhoka
Check my profile for IM accounts, send me an e-mail, or ask me on facebook !
Make sure to contact me if you have any question.

Here are a few more pictures from the previous HF-Lans so you can see what HF-Lan 4 will be like :

Armada

Smash Lord
I really wanna go to this =)
Can't confirme but I should be able to go.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
I'm also interested. Hoping you don't push the date too much, since I usually have exams all through December.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm also interested. Hoping you don't push the date too much, since I usually have exams all through December.
If the tournament is postponed, it will take place in January or February, so no worries about that (also, @ the Swedes, make sure to tell me if that might collide with BEAST 3).

Also, I'm glad to see that much interest for a fairly small tournament, because it deserves it. Yet, because for the first time, the tournament date is good, I can't help but worry that the 64-player cap will be reached too quickly.
Oh well... We thought that for the last editions and it didn't, so wait and see for now.

:phone:

leffen

Smash Champion
Baxon I accept but best out of 5 if you just wanna do for 5 euros :)

I also wanna mm my marth/falco vs your falco or anyone else.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Meh. We were supposed to receive the confirmation for the tournament today, but the administrators of the school where it's hosted didn't give us an answer yet. I'm very sorry about this, but believe me, it's also really frustrating for us.

I'll update this thread as soon as I have some more information.

On a side note, here's a list of those who expressed interest so far. Many many French players are interested but didn't say it yet, though.

2. Alex21
  3. Armada
  4. Ashura
  5. Avenger Angel
  6. Baxon
  7. BSeeD
  8. Bunwa
  9. Chikusho
  10. Cromat
  11. Cyr
  12. Daisuki
  13. Darko
  14. Datto
  15. DevMBC
  16. DjaGoF
  17. DraQ
  18. Draxraven
  19. Eagle
  20. Fauster Fayk
  21. Feca-Link
  22. Fragmads
  23. Fuzzyness
  24. Jasper
  25. JiM
  26. Jontro
  27. Kirikou
  28. Latouffe
  29. leffen
  30. LGuy
  31. Link_enfant
  32. Mahie
  33. Meljin
  34. Mono
  35. Over
  36. Paju
  37. Pikalex
  38. porc
  39. Qlex
  40. Redjil
  41. Sampulay
  42. Seb
  43. Seya
  44. Shloub
  45. Slhoka
  46. Styx
  47. Tekk
  48. *Zen

Slhoka

Smash Lord
The date of the event has been confirmed!

I'm going to meet the others hosts on thursday. I'll ask various things, including registration, and I'll keep you updated ASAP.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
How difficult is it to get here from Paris if you speak no French? I'm an American living in Germany at the moment, and I don't much want to be that hated American in France >.<

Beat!

Smash Master
Most europeans speak english well enough. France overall isn't exactly top tier in that department, but it won't be a problem at a smash tournament.

Baxon

Smash Journeyman
How difficult is it to get here from Paris if you speak no French? I'm an American living in Germany at the moment, and I don't much want to be that hated American in France >.<
It's really easy, just ask the metro "staff" if you have any problems.
Most of them can speak english ;)

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I will come! If anyone has an extra controller that I can borrow or buy, I would really appreciate it. Mine just started breaking as soon as I moved to Germany =[

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Could anyone house me the night before? I haven't played a game since I moved to Germany one month ago, and I would love to get some practice in before the tournament.
California melee will vouch for me being cool >.<

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I´m also looking for housing - if I come I´ll take another german smasher with me.

Shriek - we can travel together if you want to. Could you tell me how you´ll get there? By train?

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Not sure yet. My friend says depending on when I buy the ticket, it could be from 30-70 euros.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
I found some reasonably priced tickets. How much would it cost me to get to the venue from Charles De Gaulle airport?

I would probably need housing from Thursday or Friday. My plane doesn't leave until Monday, but I could probably sleep in the airport if people don't have time to house me then.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Alright : I've got some information.

First of all, Registration

Registration is a very important topic in the sense that it's likely to be an issue : we already have almost 75 players interested, even though few players from Paris and Lyon have shown they interest while I know they want to be there.
So, the 64-player limit is very likely to be reached.

The registration will be held on the lan's website (www.hf-lan.fr), and will open on Sunday, at 10 am. It will be quite simple : the first 64 persons to register will get their spot at the tournament, while the other will be put on a waiting list.
We're currently discussing whether we give priority on a certain number of players coming from out of France. More info about that in the following days.

Housing

Parisian smashers will try to house as many people as possible. It isn't gonna easy (insert "parisian appartments are tiny" johns), but in the worst case, there's a hotel 600 meters away from the venue, which costs a bit less than 30€ for a 3-person room. So it might be convenient as well, especially if you take into account transportation costs.

During the tournament, you will be able to sleep at the venue, but this isn't gonna be so great : since last time some people (lol JD) were found sleeping in the corridors while we were not allowed to do so, we are now forced to sleep in the room where the tournament takes place. A sleeping area will be set, and the light will be turned off there, but it will never be totally silent, sadly. So you may want to either bring earplugs, or book a room at the nearby hotel.
The good thing about sleeping, though, is that the couches are almost exclusively given to the Smash tournament. Which means only smashers can take them to sleep :p

Random stuff

The schedule isn't defined yet, but the tournament should start around 1:00 or 2:00 pm on Saturday, with singles swiss rounds. It will be followed by doubles swiss rounds. And then, on saturday evening, it will either be the singles bracket, or the doubles bracket, depending on how much time we have. The idea is to be able to use the auditorium for the final set, because on sunday, we will have to share the auditorium with the SC2 and LoL tournaments.

Regarding food, the news thing this time will be that there will be crêpes.

Also, no free massage stand this time :(

Could anyone house me the night before ? I haven't played a game since I moved to Germany one month ago, and I would love to get some practice in before the tournament.
California melee will vouch for me being cool >.<
I´m also looking for housing - if I come I´ll take another german smasher with me.

Shriek - we can travel together if you want to. Could you tell me how you´ll get there? By train?
I found some reasonably priced tickets. How much would it cost me to get to the venue from Charles De Gaulle airport?

I would probably need housing from Thursday or Friday. My plane doesn't leave until Monday, but I could probably sleep in the airport if people don't have time to house me then.
I'll make an housing thread on the French boards to see if I can get housing for you guys.
Also Eagle, to go from the airport to the venue, it's going to cost you something like 13€ : you have to take RER line B at the airport until you reach Chatelet-Les Halles in Paris, then take the RER line A to the Noisy-Champs station, which is next to the venue. You can check this website for more information : http://www.transilien.com/web/site/lang/en

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Shloka, I appreciate it. The hotel sounds pretty convenient too.

Hoping I can make it to this!

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the same situation as Eagle and looking for housing. Thanks for the information, Slhoka.

Top Bottom