• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey Guys! Would love to get some critique and tips

ande

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys!

I started playing melee again, since i loved to play it as a kid.
i didn't know anything about competitiv melee cause i'm from austria and when i was a kid there was no competitiv scene there and i also didn#t search anything about it an ytube.
the friend with whom i started playing again then told me about the competitiv scene and i got addictet to it really fast. i already liked melee how i played it but what those people did was so fun to watch and since there was that much of a technical gap a couldn't hardly keep up with what i saw.
so i watched the doc and stuff, you know, all these things you have to know if you digg smash vids and after a few month i decided to pick up luigi as my main, cause you now.....

DOPE!

the friend i played with sadly quit playing melee cause he also played smash4 and mained pickachu in both melee and smash4 so after a time he stared to complain about his melee pickachu and lost track of playing melee and smash4 at the same time.

soooooooo long story short, i play luigi since little bit over half a year and i practiced tech for about 4-5 month like nearly everyday about an hour.
i just play cpu, mostly lvl 1,3 or 7 if i try to do combos or get better in ´combodefense, otherwise i mostyl f*** around and try to do slick things an move smooth.

so i recorded two vids today, random techtraining and trying out things on lvl3 fox, sadly on FD cause random and i didnt want to reset. i#ll post them today, but post this now cause i cant wait ^^

i#ve a few questions for all luigi mains out there

have you any tips for practicing wavedash-shorthop-arial-waveland? i recently started to use the analog stick for the short hop cause i feel im to stiff if i use jump already befor for wavedash and its getting better but i can only do it about 3 times in a row then i mostly fullhop or miss the waveland.

i always forget to l-cancel almost everytime only my bair is really consistent. i dont have 20xx so the l-cancle test thing isnt a thing for me. any other ways to make it more obviouse for you if you missed one or got one mid play if you arent focused on l-cancle?

how do you do perfect ledge dash? i seem to do it with away analog when i just think i need to ledgedash without thinking about the inputs but i#ve heard or read that most people do it with down analog or even c-stick away?

at about 8 min in the following tech vid i try to do really short dashdance into max. dashdance and try to mix it up ( not in that vid: foxtrott, wavedash), would you think these could bait attacks out our make my wavedash approaches less predictable?

i also tried to mix up platform movement like at 00:35 in the tech vid by wavedash ofF instant jump waveland back on really fast, and i would like to know if you guys think this could get a use at any time in competitiv play.
i this vid i cant really get it but sometimes you can get luigi to only cover a fifth of the platform and than wavedash back off to jump waveland instand and it looks like he hovers out and in of the platform.
so i thought this mixed up with longer wavedashes in the platform, and sometimes drop through instant jump waveland back off like in de vid could also be a good neutral mix up if you are far away from opponent or he died and you just mess with his mind how slick you move until he respawnes.

then in the cpu vid, i dont really n´know what to ask cause first i dont really like playing on FD as mentioned above so i wasnt really into this practice session and second because i don#t really know what i am doing wrong or right since i nearly never play against people who also play it regular. but im happy for any advice or critique.
the only thing i#m doing a lot and i just cant figure out if these could be good,
is sometimes in the vid i try to do a shffl bair into (turnaround or pivot or something?) grab or i try to get the front hitbox and lcancle grab, at 0-low % and it seems like at nearly every charcter there is only a really short time where they could react.
so i would like to know, since i have nearly no knowledge abaut frames, if this probably is so close you cant react or so close that its likely you miss, like you often miss DI on fast throws?

and at last i would like to know what you think about a move im really proud of but i cant manage to get it often.-
its in the tech vid at about i think 3:35 but im not sure about the landing there and 3:50 is it for sure what i mean
its a dash into shielddrop into no impact land (that wierd one were you are in neutral in like one frame) and than instantly move into whatever, in the vid i do it once into fullhop and once into shiel+dodge
OH and the 5 strange no impact lands in a row are as far as the best i ever did btw :)

OH YEAH i also use a really old fake controller (picture below) and i dont feel really bad with it, the only thing is that it dashes tooooooooo easy or mayby the controller i got befor was reeeeealy sticky and the soulder buttens and z arent the best for sure.
i only played with an original one in the first month and at that point i was just about managing wavedashes and manly played games with a friend so i dont know if i could do things i do with my fake controller.
do you think i would get better with originals, cause originals are always better, or do you might think that the controller suits for me and is just a randomly good fake controller?

http://imgur.com/a/OGhld
(the link, cause it doesnt seem to work)

so thats it, hope i dont wasted your time and i would really appreciate if you could answer my questions :)

thanks for reading!
love for all the meleeheads out there!

ande

Last edited:

ande

Smash Cadet
im uploading it to ytube right know, the vids will be up in about 1-2 hours :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom