• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys, use Up-B. All the time. UPDATED WITH FORWARD AIR!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Think I'm trolling you this time? HELL NO. I don't see/hear enough Up-B from you guys. I'm ****ing serious. This move rocks.

Approaching with Up-B

Yeah, you read right. Approach with this move. Approach with a shield and your opponent will either attack it with an aerial, a spaced ground move or attempt to grab. Up-B beats 2/3 of those options, and sometimes all three (character dependent obviously). It's ****ing disjointed beyond belief, and mind my language... I'm just really passionate about this move. IT PUTS YOU BACK TO THE NEUTRAL POSITION. I -LOVE- THE NEUTRAL POSITION. You could argue "Oh man, I could get punished hard if I whiff this or something", but simply put... don't whiff it. Use it when you know it's going to land, and if your opponent is starting to get it, do something else for a bit. :/ But seriously, use this move in this situation.

Defensive Up-Bs

Do I really need to explain? This is the -FASTEST- Up-B in the game at coming out. (3 frames), and has 3 invincible frames (frames 3-6 I believe?) that can get through about any aerial if you time it right. (It can sorta break through tornado... sometimes, especially if you're Inferno apparently). And beats about anything when you shield it... plus, you can use it as a surprise combo breaker, obviously. Offstage defensive game for Up-B usually consists of waiting for when you think the move will come out, and beating it with Up-B (usually the super sexy disjoint), THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. THIS WORKS AGAINST PEOPLE TOO MUCH. ABUSE THIS ****.

Sexy Up-Bs

Have you ever... just wanted to do a random Up-B? I know I have. Or wanted to spam it... just run forward, towards your opponent... and Up-B. I promise you that it probably won't end too badly. (Unless you're not very good with the move or something) Especially on Battlefield, or Lylat, where you can retreat to your sexy platforms with the same move. Up-B is more than just an attack, it's a retreat option. I'm sure you've all heard about my crazy ledge theories with Up-B. (If not look at the ledge option thread, jeez). It's just plain sex, honestly. Say you're falling from the air, and you wanna land behind your opponent. People usually shield in response to this, I mean... it's pretty scary. What are they going to do out of shield if you're behind them? Probably an attack (bair), or an attempt to retreat. UP-B THAT ****! I know you're thinking "But they're in their shield... that's the dumbest thing ever. **** you Xero" THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT TOO! BUT IT WORKS! IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, THIS MOVE IS SHENANIGAN.

Ending strings with Up-B

Okay, didn't think I could get any crazier did you? WELL I CAN. END MORE OF YOUR **** STRINGS WITH THIS MOVE. I know this is high risk low reward, but honestly... I don't think you quite understand your character enough. You're playing MARIO. He's not exactly tournament viable. The least you can do is have some fun, (and cause some confusion) when playing him. It's also a pretty beast option, honestly. Seriously, nobody likes getting hit by Up-B (except for Hilt...), and it usually sends them far enough to where you won't get punished... just make sure you hit with it! Simple as that!

Using Up-B as a form of harassment

When you're like me (a bored teenager), you tend to find fun in the little things. I LOVE that people see me as a shenanigans-based player. It's fun. And I do well, too. (Because shenanigans are shenanigans... ban Mario) But, you see, when people get punished by Up-B enough they tend to get rather... annoyed with the move. Seriously! "I'M TAKIN' YO' LUNCH MONEY!" just yell that or something when you hit with it (other people usually do that for me actually). People LOVE to see me spam Up-B. It's sexy. BUT ANYWAY. USE THIS MOVE, ANNOY YOUR OPPONENTS WITH IT, AND THEN USE ANOTHER OPTION WHEN THEY GET USED TO IT. KTHX.

Killing with Up-B
Okay, this honestly could've been included in the -sexy Up-B- section, but I don't really care. Killing with Up-B is a viable option on certain stages, and in certain matchups. You need to learn them. Sure, I could explain in detail all the ones I've learned, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO DO THAT. It's pretty obvious anyway, and simple. You either Up-B and hit with your stupid disjoints when you're near the top of the stage for a kill, or you up-b them into some kind of ceiling above them on certain stages. Up-B is VERY stage dependent, you will find it much easier to get kills with Up-B on Brinstar, for instance, because of the low ceiling and also because the lava puts them in such prime position. Characters such as Sonic and Metaknight that will attempt to chase you to the top of the stage can easily be killed by your Up-B. For that matter, if any of you ever get Uair'd to the top of the stage to tornadoed by Metaknight, I am going to -DESTROY- you. You can easily Up-B before the tornado comes out, and hit with your disjoint, resulting in kill against it. USE THIS MOVE WHEN IT WILL KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conclusion (To Up-B)

In my personal opinion, Up-B is a great move (when used moderately, and in smart situations). It's obviously not the best idea to use it in every situation all the time. Although if you choose to do that, I will probably give you some candy or something. This is my personal favorite move, and I look forward to seeing everyone integrate it into their metagame. If you have any questions I want you to seriously ask, debate with me if you want to. I don't give a ****, I will defend this move with my life.

Coming next week: Xero's synopsis/opinion on Fair. (Sexy move is sexy)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm going to do the best writeup I possibly can on Forward Air, keep in mind I haven't played in about a month, I have more than likely forgotten several of my gimmicks and setups. If I say anything about 5B -> 3C -> 5D BnB to 22C Oki just ignore what I'm saying, that's the BlazBlue talking.

Approaching with Fair

I find this another hilarious alternative to your typical approach style, whatever that may be (sexy defensive approaches ftw by the way, I should do a writeup on that sometime). The goal here is to hit them with the very tip of your Fair, spacing it as well as you possibly can. When properly spaced, a DDD who shields this cannot grab you (sometimes, it works like 75% of the time), if it's perfect shielded your in a world of hurt though. Let's imagine you hit with the Fair, it's not really that hard to do, you have a few different followup options, which I should probably talk about later... so I will! PRETEND I SAID THAT. Anyway, space this move, it's not that bad. I honestly like approaching with it more than Up-B, you won't get punished nearly as hard if you miss this one, or if it's shielded.

Defensive Fairs

I know what you're thinking, "Xero... what are you thinking?" But I'm serious, Fair can be used in very defensive situations! In fact it's probably safer to use it that way... yep, it totally is, don't argue with me. Anyway, I like using Fair as a retreating out of shield option. It beats quite a few forward airs that I can't think of at the moment, and will allow you to follow up with the followups that I intend to put near the end of this rant. As always, make sure your spacing with this move is fairly precise, you don't want to get punished. If we get punished for our shenanigans how will we ever get Mario banned?! You can use this offstage to prevent you from being gimped too, when the opponent is coming after you just space and possibly fast fall a forward air, it works sometimes! It's pretty damn sexy when you kill with it, too. That's all I can think of on the use of defensive Fairs at the moment... maybe I'll update this later when the game is more fresh in my mind.

Harassment/Sexy Fairs

I combined this into one section because honestly, the sexier you make your moves the more intimidating they are going to be to your opponent. While this may not be true all of the time, I consider my more intimidating moves, or harassing my opponent to be sexy. This is my writeup, if you don't like it... write your own. ANYWAY, you will want to do your best to make every time you hit with Fair and epic moment. Make your opponent cry. EXAGGERATE IF YOU HAVE TO! Yell "Forward Air!!!!" like you would if you were playing Marth (that's the tradition in Huntington at least), and make sure your opponent realizes they got hit by our slow as hell forward air. End games with Forward Air, it will make it more intimidating for the next one. MAKE SURE THEY FEAR YOUR DAMN FORWARD AIR! Also, use this move in the most random moments. Your opponent won't see it coming... because it's Forward Air (unless they read this writeup, oh no!)

Ending Strings with Fair

Okay, for the followups for all of the strings, it will ALWAYS be an aerial followup. Kthx. Anyway, more than likely the only move you will be chaining this out of is an Uair. You can just do a ton of Uairs into Fair or something, it's just something you have to get the spacing down for. You can also jump to Fair after an Uair or maybe a Dair or something. It's all up to you, bro. If you hit with it, you get some pretty good followup options! If you're offstage, it could be a kill!

Killing with Fair

While it's not as sexy as killing with Up-B... it's still DAMN sexy. Okay, so what you want to do is get them offstage, and space a fair. I like to do it as they are coming back and are attempting to intercept your... interception. Just make sure it's spaced properly okay? Obviously you have to be offstage for this, or you could do an onstage Fair into Usmash, or even better. FAIR TO UP-B! OMFG I LOVE KILLING WITH THAT COMBO! So yeah... experiment, or look at the followups section...

Followups

One of the reasons that I like Fair so much is that it puts you in a reasonably good position to follow up afterward. All it takes is a little bit of reading and timing, and a little luck sometimes. But you can easily score a kill off of a high percent Fair!

Aerial Followups

This is assuming that you land the Fair in the air, and that your opponent is spiked into the ground (and didn't tech it, but who is going to tech your Fair?)

- Follow their tech and Usmash or Grab, it's reasonably safe and if you land an Upsmash then it can be a kill at higher percents, or at least more damage! (And who doesn't love more damage?). Throw is obviously just for more damage, unless they are a REALLY high percent, and then it can be a kill!

- Nair as your falling down, if they don't tech in time they'll likely get hit. It's not really a safe option, I prefer to go for the previously mentioned one.

Honestly, I can't think of a whole lot at the moment. Perhaps I'll update this section later.

Ground Followups

This is assuming that you Fair them while they are on the ground, they usually bounce into the air. (Except at low percents)

- Usmash! If you predict an airdodge you can simply charge it, or do a sliding Usmash for maximum sexiness. It's more likely to kill them if you predict their airdodge. ;)

- An aerial followup, most likely an Uair chain or something. Up-B works well too, but when doesn't it work well?

- AN UP-B KILL! (Yes, you can do Fair to Up-B kill, usually on stages with low ceilings, but it is one of the sexiest kills around.) DO THIS FOR MAXIMUM STYLE POINTS.

-An angled Fsmash if you're really lucky or something, I don't see this working too often.

Conclusion (To Fair)

I apologize for this writeup seeming lazy, but in all honesty this is about all I can think of at the present moment. Maybe it's all the snow on the ground... anyway, if you have any suggestions for ways I can better this writeup then go right ahead! I may or may not add your suggestion.

Next time: A move/playstyle that I have yet to determine! BE PREPARED!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
XeroXen with a wall of text!? I must listen to this wisdom!

Pretty good synopsis though. Never thought of the offensive use of Up-B.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
... You sir are a wizard. It's kind of the best thing I've seen on this board. I'll be sure to file this back into my Mario knowledge base. For those of you who don't think this works, you haven't seen Xero play enough... or at all. <3 Mario.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
... You sir are a wizard. It's kind of the best thing I've seen on this board. I'll be sure to file this back into my Mario knowledge base. For those of you who don't think this works, you haven't seen Xero play enough... or at all. <3 Mario.
I'm hurt.

My wall of texts have pictures. :(

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I like Up-B kills on Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Halberd sometimes, and Green Greens. I almost got one on Japes once... almost. Battlefield can work well in situations too.

Judo777

Smash Master
I like getting hit with Up Bs Xeroxen will tell you. I SDI that crap all day.

All that said Up B is still a great move listen to this guy hes the best i have seen at landing it. Unless ur opponent can SDI it like a mad man it works more often than u think.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I actually use upB more because I saw Xero doing it. True story.

Me: "Can't they punish that if he whiffs? ....Oh wait...he rarely ever does..."

Me: "The risk isn't work the reward is it? ....Oh wait, the full thing does like 11% and resets your position..."

There's really...really no reason to NOT use this move more, lulz.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I killed a few times in doubles with it at a smashfest once. We've never played Yoshi's Island Melee since. Seriously. I gotta put more Up-B into my game. It's even awesome on Luigi's Mansion.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Up-b been apart of my game for awhile now. I use it for mix-up jab combos. when my victim is up the air i use up-b to kill him/her. When your victim is @ high %, use it as a smash attack to finish them off.

:mario: <--Da Bess

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I actually use upB more because I saw Xero doing it. True story.

Me: "Can't they punish that if he whiffs? ....Oh wait...he rarely ever does..."

Me: "The risk isn't work the reward is it? ....Oh wait, the full thing does like 11% and resets your position..."

There's really...really no reason to NOT use this move more, lulz.
And where have you been? :|

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I've been using Up-B a lot recently, but I'll be using it EVEN MORE after reading this. :chuckle:

clowsui

Smash Legend
I SDI Up B like a pro, lol...Xero at MOST gets positional resets at mid-higher percents and does 3 damage to me.

That being said, this move is pretty underused by most Marios out there :) One thing to keep in mind that don't think of using Mario's Up B like Marth's Up B; they're two entirely different moves with different advantages despite having similar frame data.

UberMario

Smash Master
what are some good upb combos?
I'm seein...

UpB
TO UPB
Run + UpB

You can use it as a Jab or UAir combo finisher if you're trying to change it up, though for the most part, the only time I use UpB aggresively is as a ledge mindgame, because when you ledge-hop fireball a couple of times, they'll pick up on it and come over to attack you as you jump [obviously]. However I prefer UpAerial in that situation because if you ledgehop quick enough you can push them back before their attack can connect. IMO UpB is near useless aggresively unless you place yourself in a position where you freefall near-immediately onto a platform or if they have over 80% already), plus Mario has at least one attack that is better for any viable ^B [aggresive] situation, unless you count Super Jump Punch > Ledge Grab, Short Ledge Drop > Immediate Super Jump Punch.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
And where have you been? :|
Dunno, just stopped posting for awhile, lol.

Back now though, for the most part.

Edit @ Deez: SOME of the stuff that Xero mentioned requires unpredictability, especially since SDI is a bit of a problem for upB...

But out of shield? As part of guaranteed combos? Used as a combo breaker?

UpB is legit in all those departments.

Top Bottom