• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hey baby! How's it going?" - Rhythm Heaven's Karate Joe for Smash Ultimate!

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
We've gone 2 amiibo showcases, many songs that could be just a song for a series, and basically, 2 directs with NOTHING Rhythm Heaven. Is it really happening...!?
I believe you meant "assist trophy" showcases, but I was thinking the same thing! I'm hoping that they're withholding any Rhythm Heaven info until a character reveal. I'm hoping this is a good sign of things to come.

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
Sorry, didn't see your reply. Yes, I have heard about the similarity between DK in the K. Rool trailer and Joe, but I don't think it really means anything. That laying and scratching type of pose is in a lot of cartoons and anime. It's a common trope you can find in many pieces of media. So, sadly, I don't think this really means anything. Although I do still think our chances are higher then they ever have been, so I'm hoping for the best!

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I think a Rhythm Heaven character (whether it be Karate Joe, Chorus Kids, or someone else) feels like a no brainer in terms of underrepresented Nintendo franchises in Smash, and whoever it would be would have a very unique moveset from anyone else in the game. If we only get a Rhythm Heaven Assist Trophy, I’ll be disappointed, but I really, REALLY want a playable RH character.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Sorry, didn't see your reply. Yes, I have heard about the similarity between DK in the K. Rool trailer and Joe, but I don't think it really means anything. That laying and scratching type of pose is in a lot of cartoons and anime. It's a common trope you can find in many pieces of media. So, sadly, I don't think this really means anything. Although I do still think our chances are higher then they ever have been, so I'm hoping for the best!
The thing that makes it interesting to me isn't just the pose, but the fact that the antennae on the TV are identical. Why would they intentionally design them that way if they weren't making a tease?

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
It is also curious that both are making a reference to their past, Karate Joe is watching on the TV screen to him in his first debut which is Rhythm Tengoku, and DK has photo in the wall of the DK of the arcade version...

Last edited:

DuckHuntDork

Smash Rookie
NNID
TripleChin
3DS FC
1332-8230-8977
Switch FC
SW-5201-3372-9343
Y'all look too far into everything.
(Also, put me on that supporters list!)

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I don’t think the K. Rool trailer meant to reference anything. I’m literally sitting in the same position while reading this thread on my phone lol, it’s such a common way to lay down.

Anyway, count me as a supporter. I really want a RH character, and I do think we’re getting one. Although I believe the more likely pick is the Chorus Kids, Karate Joe would be really cool. I just want some representation!!!

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Sorry. I tried doing this multiple times because I thought they failed to load.
I tried adding my petition to other people’s ideas but it didn’t really work

BTW, I think JomSpooms might have said this already, but I think Karate Joe should have a medley of Karateka, Struck by the Rain, Lonely Storm, Karate Man (Megamix), and Karate Man Senior for Smash. Karate Man Medley!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Hopefully with around 800 music tracks in Smash they have a good selection of Rhythm Heaven songs! Rhythm Heaven deserves that much at least.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I tried posting my petition in the replies of JomSpoons’ Karate Joe thread. In fact, I tried putting it in “Other People’s Ideas”, but it didn’t work.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Still think people are a little too quick to dismiss the bunny ears on the TV. That specific antennae shape is extremely uncommon and feels like a deliberate reference to me.

Tony Duck

Smash Rookie
Hey, I’ll be honest, with the increasing focus it seems on “crowd pleasers” who did well in the ballot, I’m doubting a Rhythm Heaven character in general, and this is disappointing me. While it’s great to see K Rool and Ridley finally, it’s also disappointing that we may not have weird picks like Karate Joe, or anyone else as well :(

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I’ll be honest, with the increasing focus it seems on “crowd pleasers” who did well in the ballot, I’m doubting a Rhythm Heaven character in general, and this is disappointing me. While it’s great to see K Rool and Ridley finally, it’s also disappointing that we may not have weird picks like Karate Joe, or anyone else as well :(
I feel similarly, but the fact that we know a RH character was worked on for 4 gives me some hope.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I feel similarly, but the fact that we know a RH character was worked on for 4 gives me some hope.
I have hope for both Karate Joe and Wandering Samurai to be playable for Smash. After all, they did appear in ALL 4 Rhythm Heaven games. (Rhythm Tengoku, Rhythm Heaven, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Rhythm Heaven Megamix) Plus, it would make way more sense than for the Choir Kids to be in Smash.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Rhythm Heaven is in a unique situation where they were a very "Smash 4" pick and even got significant development but were eventually cut. In fact, it's the only full series to have scrapped character data without ever having a character in Smash.
Now with Ultimate it feels like there's an entirely different philosophy of selecting characters that doesn't seem as RH-friendly due to the fact that not many people are asking for a particular RH character to get into smash, despite the popularity of the series.
They didn't get into the DLC of Smash 4 even though they were partially worked on, which hints to me that either they were facing technical difficulties of implementing them or they were deemed too unpopular to sell. The first situation, which I hope is the case, would give them a decent shot in Ultimate since those issues are no longer here. The second is a scary possibility because if they can't get into DLC that focused on selling units, then they can't get in the game focuses on pleasing the most fans possible. And worse, if they can't get into DLC once then they can't get into it again.

As an unrelated take, ever since the Gematsu leak I feel some people in the Smash community have been acting very presumptuous about the RH series. I've seen so many people think it's basically a Wii/DS era game that rode the casual wave and only sold for that reason, or that you can get the full experience of the series just by watching its minigames, or that it's a pitifully easy series that's just casualized rhythm games. All of this is obviously proven wrong just by playing the games but I've seen each of these points being used to express why they don't want a Rhythm Heaven character. I just don't understand it.
The last point, about it being just casual rhythm games, is something that really bothers me. It's true the series is casual compared to the rest of the genre, but so are most Nintendo series. I've talked with a friend about this (Hey Tony!), how it's a very Nintendo take on the genre. Pikmin is way less demanding than most RTS games, Smash has a lower level of entry than most fighting games, and Rhythm Heaven demands less dexterity than most rhythm games, but all of these games also offer experiences and gameplay that isn't really seen anywhere else in the genre.

Anyways I really would be so happy if my precious whiteboard doodle Karate Joe got in. I'd probably never need another video game.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I just updated my petition.
For a “Karate Man Medley” as his own remixed theme for Smash. BTW, have you guys heard the Karate Man Medley in Rhythm Heaven Gigamix? Because I think that maybe it should be something like that.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Oh my goodness!?! Can't believe I haven't pledge my allegiance to Karate Joe all this time!?! I am an utter disgrace to the RH Fandom :crying:

Oh well, better to pledge late than to not pledge at all!

*Edit* Must say that I'm completely 95% sure that leak is true, just because the amount of work that would be needed to put in (tracking down the exact web host server used for the official sites to include in the URL Links, displaying it all on the Windows 3000 Server System, & replicating the compostion & setting used for the Blog product images) if it was just all fake. Plus, the fact the folks behind the official website & blog probably had everything up & ready to be updated as soon the Direct finished, only to have the Direct be delayed in respond to the earthquake.

It just all make too much sense in my mind for it to just turn out false. Soooooooo...I'm betting all my money in, baby! Oh Yeah!

Last edited:

CoolBob

Smash Cadet
Well, if I told you, it wouldn't be a secret!
Karate Joe is my most wanted character, but sadly I think the leak is fake. Also, I don't think a Rhythm Heaven character would be in 2D like everyone assumes - Wario Ware characters are in the same style yet their Assist Trophies are 3D.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
A pretty juicy 4chan image suggests we might be getting Karate Joe after all.
https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/430751563
Here's hoping!
I know this has already been "debunked" by PushDustin, but it's probably real. The URL is the actual server that hosts the Smash Bros. site, Karate Joe's name is correct, the Windows version, the Rhythm Tengoku stickers, having the "memory" post be part of the leak at all. The only suspicious thing is that the Karate Joe render is out of focus. But everything else is too meticulous and involves too much knowledge, too much attention to detail. I don't even really want Karate Joe and I think it's probably real. At least it looks more real than every other image leak so far.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
I don’t really believe it, but I agree that I haven’t seen any real arguments against it that don’t feel like reaching.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys seen this?! I have no idea what to think and i'm quite honestly freaking out.
1536460370532.jpg 1536460472816.jpg 1536460378057.png 1536460228896.jpg

Now he's claiming he'll do a stream of it in 10~ minutes. At least if it's fake we'll know very soon.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys hear that this month’s Nintendo Direct was delayed due to an earthquake in Japan?
Yes, we have heard of it. Pretty sure most folks here on Smashboards is well aware of it.
Does that mean Smash Ultimate might be getting delayed too?
I don't think so. Maybe some minor setbacks but noting too major to have it's release date be pushed back.
Wait! The Nintendo Direct is rumored to be on September 13th.
From what I heard, people are believing that the Direct is being delayed to specifically September 13th (Thursday in Japan) due to the fact that's when the next Splatoon 2 Update is scheduled to be release. However, that's the day updates for Splatoon 2 are generally released on (or atleast hover around) anyway, so noting Direct-specific to it in practically. People are just trying to desperately predict when the Direct new date is & are pre-assuming that Splatoon 2 don't normally update on the Thursday in Japan, which it normally does.

There's also Nintendo running the risk if they doesn't air the Direct before Tuesday of having Direct-related info being revealed though a potential leak of this week's issue of Famitsu Magazine. Tuesday being the earliest day a Famitsu Issue is known to leak. Of course, this is assuming there still is Direct-related info within this week's Famitsu Issue.

Finally, please remember to not double-post. If you have anything else to say but noone have posted after you, then edit your existing post instead of making a new post.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys seen this?! I have no idea what to think and i'm quite honestly freaking out.
View attachment 162734View attachment 162731View attachment 162733View attachment 162735

Now he's claiming he'll do a stream of it in 10~ minutes. At least if it's fake we'll know very soon.
Looks absolutely fake to me. Like, jeez, what did they do to his face!

Here's a nice & easy picture of Karate Joe to compare that abomination to -

*Edit* Here a link to the image: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...Joe_3DS.png/revision/latest?cb=20170320091453

I can never get images to show up :crying:

Last edited:
Top Bottom