• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"He's got Balls of Steel!!!"- Duke Nukem for Smash Ultimate

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Hail to the King, baby!

My word, can't believe that such a classic and iconic badass like Duke Nukem hasn't gotten a support thread yet, well I guess it's up to me then.

Why is Johnny Bravo carrying guns?

This isn't Johnny Bravo (or anything like it), this is Nukem, Duke Nukem, and he would go to Smash with one purpose, and one purpose only, to kick ass (butt, since this is Nintendo) and chew bublegum, even if he's already out of gum.
He's the hero from the Duke Nukem series, who takes on many terrifying yet wacky races of alien invaders, in order to save the people and the babes... specially the babes, with alot of movie references on the way.
To sum up, he's a more cocky and smartass version of Doomguy.

Would he bring anything new to the table? What kind of moveset would he have?

Yes he would actually. While most of his moves would revolve around explosives and a few punches and kicks like Solid Snake, he could also get access to some weapons from his games that are currently not present in Smash, like say, a shotgun, a chaingun, the freezethrower, and last but not least, the shrinker which would allow Duke to shrink his enemies and easily punch them off the stage, now that's certainly something that I haven't seen in anyone's moveset.

Pros:
-Very iconic and easily recognizable video game character.

-He's the star of a series that influenced the FPS genre.

-Healthy history with Nintendo.

-Hasn't always been M-rated.

Cons:
-Too violent and mature (ever heard of :ultsnake:, or perhaps to a bigger extent :ultbayonetta:?)

-Out cold since 2010, and irrelevant nowadays (well that sure didn't stop :ultsimon: or :ultbanjokazooie: )

-Doomguy is more likely to star as the rep for FPS (really don't see how that's an issue, people still believe that there's always have to be some big representation behind every 3rd party character, I mean if that's the case than I guess Hero shouldn't be in the game, since we already have Cloud as an RPG rep).

-He doesn't have any support from fans (well that's where this thread comes in, now who's with me?)

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
“It’s time to Smash ass and chew bubblegum, and I’m all out of gum”.

I support! Usually, I’m a bit against characters that are a little more distinctive from Nintendo than usual, but Duke Nukem and Doom II have been such big parts of my childhood that I wouldn’t mind at all. I even think both Duke and Doomguy would fit well, since they’re both kind of “cartoony” much like Metroid (even tho they’re M-rated), and are timeless retro videogame classics.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
“It’s time to Smash *** and chew bubblegum, and I’m all out of gum”.

I support! Usually, I’m a bit against characters that are a little more distinctive from Nintendo than usual, but Duke Nukem and Doom II have been such big parts of my childhood that I wouldn’t mind at all. I even think both Duke and Doomguy would fit well, since they’re both kind of “cartoony” much like Metroid (even tho they’re M-rated), and are timeless retro videogame classics.
Honestly I agree, I think the best and only options for FPS characters in Smash should be Duke Nukem, Doomguy and maybe BJ Blazkowickz from Wolfenstein too, but that's just me.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Im in. Give him his shrink ray and frezzthrower. those would be great to set up combos

He has potential to be so OP

Give him his Jetpack and holograms

Final smash. Nuke

He also has trip mines and pipe bombs.

Last edited:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Ooh, this would be sick man! I absolutely support. I really like how Duke Nukem synthesizes the esque of both Serious Sam and DOOM. Realistically, he probably wouldn't happen before Doom Slayer, but it would be really neat to see him in.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Support! Duke Nukem 3D is one of my favorite video games

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the delay, you've all been added to the support list.

Im in. Give him his shrink ray and frezzthrower. those would be great to set up combos

He has potential to be so OP

Give him his Jetpack and holograms

Final smash. Nuke

He also has trip mines and pipe bombs.
Hey, I remember seeing a reply of yours somewhere on a different thread, regarding Duke's moves, like the shrinker, and really liking it. Welcome!

And yeah, the holoduke would be great for a troll move.
The Jetpack could work similiar to Villager and Isabelle's up B, giving Duke one of the best recoveries.
He would totally be OP!

Ooh, this would be sick man! I absolutely support. I really like how Duke Nukem synthesizes the esque of both Serious Sam and DOOM. Realistically, he probably wouldn't happen before Doom Slayer, but it would be really neat to see him in.
Yeah, Doomguy will most likely get in first, mostly because of his massive support, and he is already quite a longshot.
But I wonder if any Doomguy fans here would also love to play as the Duke.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Duke. I haven't seen a lot of support for the guy, but I think he's well know enough that he'd get a pretty big reaction if he was announced.

Also, despite the mature rating of his game, I think toning him down would be really easy. You'd just have to cut his foul language down a tad, as long as you keep the idea of a general tough guy shouting one liners, it would still feel like the Duke.

His pink shirt needs to be an alternate color.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722

Hey, I remember seeing a reply of yours somewhere on a different thread, regarding Duke's moves, like the shrinker, and really liking it. Welcome!

The Jetpack could work similiar to Villager and Isabelle's up B, giving Duke one of the best recoveries.
He would totally be OP!

Yeah, Doomguy will most likely get in first, mostly because of his massive support, and he is already quite a longshot.
Doom Slayer is among my top 5 most wanted, and I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of those type of games. I think Duke would be more exciting, but his appeal is geographically centered towards the American demographic. Not saying this is a bad thing, but Doom and Duke Nukem type games aren't very popular in Japan; meaning that Doom Slayer's chances may not be quite as high as we think. He still has the greatest chance of happening, even moreso than Master Chief. We shall see tho.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Doom Slayer is among my top 5 most wanted, and I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of those type of games. I think Duke would be more exciting, but his appeal is geographically centered towards the American demographic. Not saying this is a bad thing, but Doom and Duke Nukem type games aren't very popular in Japan; meaning that Doom Slayer's chances may not be quite as high as we think. He still has the greatest chance of happening, even moreso than Master Chief. We shall see tho.
If :ultridley: taught us anything, it's that Western appeal speaks as loud as Japanese one any time of the day.

Though I doubt Duke did much of a blip on the radar at the moment unless a silent majority voted for him on the ballot for giggles, but I'd like to be wrong about that.

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Duke. I haven't seen a lot of support for the guy, but I think he's well know enough that he'd get a pretty big reaction if he was announced.

Also, despite the mature rating of his game, I think toning him down would be really easy. You'd just have to cut his foul language down a tad, as long as you keep the idea of a general tough guy shouting one liners, it would still feel like the Duke.

His pink shirt needs to be an alternate color.
Yeah, it's pretty much the same situation as Terry, where the character is not very supported but he's still iconic and memorable enough to originate alot of hype.
And I agree, I mean there were even quite alot of Duke Nukem games that were E/T-rated, even after 3D came out, and still stayed true to the essence of the series. Instead of ass, just make him say "butt", kind of like how Bayonetta says "mess" instead of "f@ck".

Yes, there's something trully charming and nostalgic about retro/pixelated FPS games, such as Wolfenstein, Doom and Duke Nukem.
Despite really desiring Doomguy too, I always had doubts against his chances, but nevertheless, he still has a huge amount of fans fighting for him, which unfortunately is something that the Duke is lacking, at the moment, and at the end of the day, I guess that´s the fatal flaw.
Can't believe that people still say that Duke won't get in because his last game was pretty unsuccessful (:ultbanjokazooie:) and because he's been dead for almost a decade (AGAIN :ultbanjokazooie:).
Ughh Guess they'll never learn.

And yeah, Doom and Duke Nukem may not be the most relevant franchises in Japan, but at least they still managed to get some of those quirky and hilarious Japanese type of commercials, like this one:

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord

He would totally be OP!

I think Doom guy is a bit to realistic for Smash. I mean look how cartoon like Smash s now. Sure you have Snake but he just uses explosions and his fists

No I don't hate Doomguy btw. it's just with what has been said about guns in Smash and how the items look now, I don't see it.

Besides If it was a Bethesda character it would be Dragonborn. Lets be real.

But thinking on it now. The name Nukem and with what went on in WW2. IDK now.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
>guns

Ahem. :ultjoker:

And no, I don't care if it's a transformed airsoft gun, it still shoots real bullets that are too fast to be seen. Gun rule's been outdated since 4 with :ultbayonetta: around.
I guess. But Doomguy is one of the most Violent characters around. Way more than Joker and Bayonetta. I mean I'm not saying it can't be done, Should it be done.

Also with how Tom is It wouldbe Dragonborn before Doomguy

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
I think Doom guy is a bit to realistic for Smash. I mean look how cartoon like Smash s now. Sure you have Snake but he just uses explosions and his fists

No I don't hate Doomguy btw. it's just with what has been said about guns in Smash and how the items look now, I don't see it.

Besides If it was a Bethesda character it would be Dragonborn. Lets be real.

But thinking on it now. The name Nukem and with what went on in WW2. IDK now.
I disagree with you here, I don't think there's anymore controverisies behind the use of realistic looking weapons in Smash, besides Doomguy and Duke Nukem do have alot of cartoony and sci-fi type of guns at their disposal too, like plasma rifles or the BFG.
And let's not forget that those brutal finishing moves didn't even exist until Doom 4, and I'm pretty sure that Sakurai would be the type of guy to take more inspiration from the classic Doom titles.

Also I highly doubt that Dragonborn would be more likely, considering that Doom has alot more history with Nintendo, a huge fanbase supporting the main character's chances, and is arguably more iconic than Skyrim.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
a huge fanbase supporting the main character's chances,
Part of this is definitely because of this fanbase's tendancy to gravitate to "locks" and become unable to consider other options. The same five or so characters get 80% of the speculation attention.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Part of this is definitely because of this fanbase's tendancy to gravitate to "locks" and become unable to consider other options. The same five or so characters get 80% of the speculation attention.
Heck, we've seen this with Terry recently. Not just him, but most SNK characters got glossed over because of that mindset (and SNK having had a niche status over the past decade). The silent majority that wouldn't go in online circles that much is also not taken into account.

Also, they don't consider the possibility that the character they talk about the most can be passed over for no particular reason. I mean, most Microsoft followers were so sure about Steve getting in first due to mainstream attention to the point that he showed up in fake leaks, and yet. :ultbanjokazooie:

The point is, anything can happen, and not one character's a guarantee, even if they're part of a series that's already in Smash.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I disagree with you here, I don't think there's anymore controverisies behind the use of realistic looking weapons in Smash, besides Doomguy and Duke Nukem do have alot of cartoony and sci-fi type of guns at their disposal too, like plasma rifles or the BFG.
And let's not forget that those brutal finishing moves didn't even exist until Doom 4, and I'm pretty sure that Sakurai would be the type of guy to take more inspiration from the classic Doom titles.

Also I highly doubt that Dragonborn would be more likely, considering that Doom has alot more history with Nintendo, a huge fanbase supporting the main character's chances, and is arguably more iconic than Skyrim.
Want to talk about this in PM? tbis is about Duke, Not Doomguy or whatever now.

Yes I see that spelling error.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
With the recent Cacodemon Mii costume leaks that look extremely real, and could probably mean that Doomguy’s coming. It really makes me wonder what kind of Mii costume could come with Duke Nukem.
I’d say that the best option would be a Pig Cop headgear for a Mii Gunner.

03518D04-E2A0-48A4-B521-2E789206BC05.png

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I support, this is the first newcomer I've supported. I love Duke.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Duke is such a smartass. His one-liners would be perfect for this game. Sign me up.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm kinda curious how his shrink ray would work, cause I really want him to have the shrink ray if he gets in.

Also I think Duke Carribean needs to be an alt costume.
Take the Hawaiian shirt pattern from the art and mix it with the shorts and flipflops from the game model. It'd look great next to swimsuit Shulk and Zero Suit Samus.

duke carribean.jpg 3029-duke-caribbean-life-s-a-beach-dos-front-cover.jpg

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Well, guess Doomguy has been practically disconfirmed to make his way in Smash, but maybe this will open the doors to another iconic and famous FPS legend that we all know and love.

It'd be great to see people pushing more for the king, now.
He's easily one of the most underrated picks for Smash Brothers, and I don't quite get why.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Well, guess Doomguy has been practically disconfirmed to make his way in Smash, but maybe this will open the doors to another iconic and famous FPS legend that we all know and love.

It'd be great to see people pushing more for the king, now.
He's easily one of the most underrated picks for Smash Brothers, and I don't quite get why.
Unfortunately, his latest game literally killed him for good... along with his reputation and hype.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've come to kick bumble gum and chew ass, and im all out of ass.
Why doesn't this character get more love for smash?

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Unfortunately, his latest game literally killed him for good... along with his reputation and hype.
I bought bulletstorm just to play as Duke. I heard his voice and bought it instantly.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I bought bulletstorm just to play as Duke. I heard his voice and bought it instantly.
I didn't even know Duke was in that until is aw your post.

I love how they handled him there. They just plop him right in the middle of the plot and his reactions are hilarious.

For his reveal trailer, I'd love to see him blasting through his normal realistic grim and gritty settings only to run across something like Isabelle, Peach, and Kirby attacking each other with star wands and flowers and he's just like "What the heck is going on here?"

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
So... basically it's the same case as Banjo-Kazooie...

For his reveal trailer, I'd love to see him blasting through his normal realistic grim and gritty settings only to run across something like Isabelle, Peach, and Kirby attacking each other with star wands and flowers and he's just like "What the heck is going on here?"
I always thought his reveal trailer would have, maybe Peach and Zelda getting almost blasted away by, maybe Ridley and Wolf and then Duke would come out of nowhere to kick their alien asses and save the "babes", and at the end end of the trailer, Peach and Zelda would be admiring him and his muscles.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I always thought his reveal trailer would have, maybe Peach and Zelda getting almost blasted away by, maybe Ridley and Wolf and then Duke would come out of nowhere to kick their alien asses and save the "babes", and at the end end of the trailer, Peach and Zelda would be admiring him and his muscles.
That could work too.

I think you need to throw Samus into that as well though.

Top Bottom