• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes you refuse to play for dumb reasons

papertiger

Smash Rookie
Do any of you have heroes you just won't play over things that don't matter? For instance, I refuse to play Pac-man, Sonic, Villager, Duck Hunt, and Mega man because I think they look stupid. I'm aware I may be shorting myself out of playing what could be a fun hero, but I just can't bring myself to get over that one thing haha.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I couldnt care less about unlocking the entire roster. Since brawl is my favorite smash i almost already have the entire brawl roster and thats all i really wanted. So if i had to guess i probably will never unlock the entire roster because i dont care enough about any of these franchise characters. And i doubt ill ever use more than 5 characters.

And duck hunt, wii fit trainer, and all the other stupid characters that just ruins the immersion of smash for me is why ill only keep the roster like brawls.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I will play as any hero no matter what shape or size. The random button is my friend. Although this is true, I usually do not like to play as some of the newer characters like Villager, Pac-man, Bayonetta, and Corrin. That's just a playstyle preference though. For whatever reason, I dont like the way they play!

Augi

Smash Cadet
Heroes? How about Villains? Let's keep it simple and just call them Characters...

I won't play THEBEST/1337/OP/SSS-tier/Overhyped characters.... So I've hated Fox for as long as I can remember; and all his counter parts. Not a fan of Sheik either.

I hate cheap cheesy characters where people just spam 2-3 moves over and over trying to win (and usually works on most people). Krool is shaping up like this.

I wont play Mario. He's good in most entries, but picking him feels like I'm picking the "tutorial character" for bah-bees who just got the game or dont know who the other characters are. We'll call this the "bland" category.

Won't play characters that are too confusing... Inkling is falling into this category for me.

Waifu's supersede these complaints though. Good Waifu Character is Good Waifu.

So I guess I'm just a Masochist because I force myself to choose underdogs that aren't very popular as well as a horndog who follows the waifus. Which explains my current Main Palutena, who's a combination of both.

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I legit have no reason as to not play any characters because as both a semi-completionist I want to try all the characters the game has to offer, even the dumbest ones.

But if we have to pick one... Chrom. Not because he is a Fire Emblem, not because he is a sword fighter...but because I have little to no understanding as to who he is because I have not played his game yet. Heck, I've only played the Gamecube game with Ike (and by played I mean watched someone else play).

StaticXY

Smash Rookie
Having had such a bad experience playing against Ness, I can't bring myself to play him myself.

"PK Fire PK Fire PK Fire PK Fire"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Corrin.
Don't like him in his own game.
Don't like him in this game.

What Ganon's Up To

Smash Cadet
Lucario feels extremely dull for some reason.

Perhaps because I miss him screaming at me hilariously from the Wiimote whenever I would pick him in character select in Brawl...

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
:ultfalcon: I dont like how he says "Falco" all the time
:ultduckhunt: I dont like this character because it's from a game where you shot ducks - animal cruelty
:ultolimar: He is boring and annoying
:ultgnw: Everything in this character annoys me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I don't usually play as any of the Fire Emblem characters aside from Ike, mainly because I just don't like them (Except for Marth. I don't know much about Marth.)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I don't main characters unless I've played at least 1 game from their series.

StaticXY

Smash Rookie
That's the best part of using him. XD
Fair enough, haha. I remember back on Smash 3DS I projectile spammed with Mii Gunner. My friends and I were noobs back then, so it totally annoyed them, bringing me immense pleasure. I switched fairly soon to using other characters, but I guess this is karma for my own spam.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
:ultduckhunt: I dont like this character because it's from a game where you shot ducks - animal cruelty
yet you have no problem about mario and luigi murdering all those turtles :p

also your not just shooting the ducks for fun, your a duck hunter hunting ducks prob to eat

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Corrin because she's a terrible FE character in her own games. Hands down the worst lord ever.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Heroes? How about Villains? Let's keep it simple and just call them Characters...

I won't play THEBEST/1337/OP/SSS-tier/Overhyped characters.... So I've hated Fox for as long as I can remember; and all his counter parts. Not a fan of Sheik either.

I hate cheap cheesy characters where people just spam 2-3 moves over and over trying to win (and usually works on most people). Krool is shaping up like this.

I wont play Mario. He's good in most entries, but picking him feels like I'm picking the "tutorial character" for bah-bees who just got the game or dont know who the other characters are. We'll call this the "bland" category.

Won't play characters that are too confusing... Inkling is falling into this category for me.

Waifu's supersede these complaints though. Good Waifu Character is Good Waifu.

So I guess I'm just a Masochist because I force myself to choose underdogs that aren't very popular as well as a horndog who follows the waifus. Which explains my current Main Palutena, who's a combination of both.
How is K. Rool like this? He's been using a very varied moveset, at least from what I've seen (mostly on YouTube) and what I've played.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Dr Mario because it triggers me greatly that he's (a) not considered an echo, (b) a base character in Smash 4, and (c) in the game at all.

Daisy because I find her annoying and not a good pick for Smash newcomer.

Chrom and Corrin for being my least liked FE lords and I also consider them bad picks for newcomers.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
my least favorite character is the one you, the person reading this, love the most

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Olimar, because it's difficult to visualize his hitboxes and it always has been. I also hate fighting against him more than nearly any other characters, bar maybe Villager and Isabelle.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yikes... So much hate for the newer Nintendo all-stars.

I mean there were 16 years from the launch of the NES and Smash 64's release- about the same time frame between Melee's release and Ultimate's release. So idk why DS/Wii era characters still seem odd to people. It's like how the N64 characters all ended up in Melee.

Personally I don't like playing as heavies because of how they play, but I also am not a fan of playing as villains or fantasy characters that mimic medieval times (especially of they are very macho.) Never been a fan of the typical fantasy hero tropes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Simon because he's ugly.
Chrom because he's lame and we didn't need him.
Samus because Dark Samus is better.

D

Deleted member

Simon because he's ugly.
Chrom because he's lame and we didn't need him.
Samus because Dark Samus is better.
how DARE you call the chaddiest chad ugly

Jokes aside and on topic, I don't really like playing as heavies, and I struggle to play Ryu/Ken since they have ZERO range and Shulk and Cloud have spoiled me.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
how DARE you call the chaddiest chad ugly

Jokes aside and on topic, I don't really like playing as heavies, and I struggle to play Ryu/Ken since they have ZERO range and Shulk and Cloud have spoiled me.
Simon looks like He-Man. And I made that joke before Alpharad.

Dave The Weird Wizard

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6498-3244-6797
I know this is a good chunk of the roster wiped out, but I generally find most swordfighters/brawler type characters to be horrendously dull. I'm more interested in the stranger, unorthodox characters, like :ultgnw: or :ultvillager:

D

Deleted member

Assumed high tiers because I'm afraid people will think I'm a tryhard.

I swear I wanted to play Meta Knight in Brawl because I like the character, please believe me...

D

Deleted member

Why does animal cruelty matter at all IN A ****ING FIGHTING GAME

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Why does animal cruelty matter at all IN A ****ING FIGHTING GAME
WHY A CHARACTER THAT REPRESENTS A GAME ABOUT ANIMAL CRUELTY IS IN MY FIGHTING GAME TO BEGIN THE DISCUSSION?
AND IT'S MY DUMB REASON ANYWAY!

Terrible game! All these little ducks without mother...

Peace :*

Last edited:
Top Bottom