• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure 6 & 7 had renaming. It's usually associated with the class system which those games have. I don't use that feature much so I don't tend to notice when it's gone. I think 5 might have something at least for monsters?
I guess I'll find out one day. Thanks for answering!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://twitter.com/draquefan/status/1169478529299505152

If Moon, an obscure Japanese PSX RPG that came out 22 years ago can have a Western release after all this time, then surely these DQ trilogy remakes can get some too.

Also, reminder that Enix basically fought each other over which Heroes would get in, so it stands to reason that Sakurai only had say for the base character.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey it took a bit long, but I think that would be good to leave some positivity in some SNK, specially Terry supporter, boards as they are going through a similar thing we got through.

My Best Friend grown up playing Capcom VS SNK with her brother, and loves KoF. So Terry and Leona was two of her most wanted characters. And even not knowing DQ she supported the Heroes as I love DQ and really want them on Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey it took a bit long, but I think that would be good to leave some positivity in some SNK, specially Terry supporter, boards as they are going through a similar thing we got through.

My Best Friend grown up playing Capcom VS SNK with her brother, and loves KoF. So Terry and Leona was two of her most wanted characters. And even not knowing DQ she supported the Heroes as I love DQ and really want them on Smash.
You're right, I'll go over there and show support.

That said, it's ironic that a fighting game icon like Terry is going through a similar situation that The Hero went through...because a lot of the same fighting game community that loves Terry and is aggravated by people's ignorant reactions to him...are the same people who wrote off The Hero back in E3 2019 as "yet another Fire Emblem character" or "someone no one asked for". Just compare and contrast Maximilion Dood's reaction to The Hero's reveal and Terry's reveal.

(Edit: I'd like to clarify that I'm not including Smashboards in the above, I saw this elsewhere)

I'm not enjoying what Terry's supporters are going through, quite the opposite. Just something sad I noticed I felt like pointing out. Everyone should really know their video game history, that way situations like these don't happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Came back from a small break, shame some groups are giving **** to Terry. Might not have attachment to the character, but I know of the importance of the franchise plus the SNK fanbase in general has been quite respectful in general. And in all honesty, I'm looking forward to see a character I'm not really knowledgeable about, might want to try the series now.

Glad to see people here being positive to Terry, plus remember giving a new series a try doesn't hurt.

D

Deleted member

Here’s some awesome fan art of my mains Eight and Samus fighting Ridley done by Tako Tuesday Tako Tuesday !!!

0ED6C975-CBB4-46FA-8472-3810B0589BF7.jpeg

If you want to give them support, check their DeviantArt account written in the art!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Is there any particular reason we still don't have stock icons for the other Heroes besides Eleven :ulthero:? I was under the impression that we would get the stock icons for Arusu / Erdrick, Solo, and Eight when we were able to extract them directly from the game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still love this character very much!

I know he has flaws, but at least he’s not Little Mac :(
I struggle against rushdowns, but his kit never makes me feel helpless.”
Although the randomness of his down+b can be a bit taxing at times, I’ve formed a sort of habit to automatically bring up the menu at specific moments. Yes@, habits are bad, but I feel that with this character, I have to let it slide, for Down B.

Still trying to decide on a 2ndary though.
I do pretty well with :ultcloud:, :ultsonic:, and on my best days, :ultmegaman: .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The physical release is now live for pre-orders.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...and_iii_on_switch_will_be_playable_in_english

You're right, I'll go over there and show support.

That said, it's ironic that a fighting game icon like Terry is going through a similar situation that The Hero went through...because a lot of the same fighting game community that loves Terry and is aggravated by people's ignorant reactions to him...are the same people who wrote off The Hero back in E3 2019 as "yet another Fire Emblem character" or "someone no one asked for". Just compare and contrast Maximilion Dood's reaction to The Hero's reveal and Terry's reveal.

(Edit: I'd like to clarify that I'm not including Smashboards in the above, I saw this elsewhere)

I'm not enjoying what Terry's supporters are going through, quite the opposite. Just something sad I noticed I felt like pointing out. Everyone should really know their video game history, that way situations like these don't happen.
Yeah man, I heard of Fatal Fury way before I've heard of and used the Internet. Sad that SNK went into niche status before now. Shameful, shameful, shameful.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah I can't wait to get to all the DQ spin-offs after I play XI S.

Who knows, if we're lucky enough we could get the other Slime Morimori games (there's a GBA game that precedes Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, which is what I refer to)

Edit:

Is there any particular reason we still don't have stock icons for the other Heroes besides Eleven :ulthero:? I was under the impression that we would get the stock icons for Arusu / Erdrick, Solo, and Eight when we were able to extract them directly from the game.
I'm still wondering about this btw

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure who specifically handles the stock icons, but you mean these, right?

I wasn't aware that they had already been ripped (I had to look them up on the Spriter's Resource), so maybe the person who handles that wasn't aware of it either.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Is it odd that I'm mainning all the DLCS so far? (Joker, Banjo, and Eleven) But I LOVE HERO SO MUCH

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not sure who specifically handles the stock icons, but you mean these, right?

I wasn't aware that they had already been ripped (I had to look them up on the Spriter's Resource), so maybe the person who handles that wasn't aware of it either.
Honestly wouldn't be surprised, seeing as custom icons either haven't been fixed or haven't all been uploaded on Reddit yet. Not to mention requests still not gotten around to...

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Yeah that's what I mean. Hopefully they can be added soon, maybe the person in charge of adding them to the site just forgot.

Is it odd that I'm mainning all the DLCS so far? (Joker, Banjo, and Eleven) But I LOVE HERO SO MUCH
They're all super well-done, I've enjoyed every one so far except maybe Piranha Plant because they're kind of awkward to play as.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I bring good news! Terry's Wonderland/DQM is being brought to the Switch with enhanced features.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_boy_color_dragon_quest_game_on_switch_eshop

That DQ11 marketing really paid off, didn't it?
As far as I'm aware there's no word of an english language version of this yet (and I kind of doubt there will be one), so DQ11's success probably has nothing to do with this. Still pretty rad though.

Edit: or any non-Japanese language, for that matter.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
https://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-i-ii-and-iii-switch-releases-confirmed-for-the-west/

Dragon Quest 1, 2, and 3 are being released on the Switch in North America and Europe. They're all supposed to be coming out on September 27th, though it sounds like they're all separate releases and they might be exclusive to the eShop.

I'm sure that Dragon Quest 3 is worth looking into (unless there's something horribly wrong with the port, like the Final Fantasy 5 and 6 ports or the Chrono Trigger port on Steam), but what about 1 and 2?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-i-ii-and-iii-switch-releases-confirmed-for-the-west/

Dragon Quest 1, 2, and 3 are being released on the Switch in North America and Europe. They're all supposed to be coming out on September 27th, though it sounds like they're all separate releases and they might be exclusive to the eShop.

I'm sure that Dragon Quest 3 is worth looking into (unless there's something horribly wrong with the port, like the Final Fantasy 5 and 6 ports or the Chrono Trigger port on Steam), but what about 1 and 2?
I found 1 and 2 to make good phone games. You can just pull out your phone and play a little when on the bus or while listening to a podcast, and its oddly relaxing, especially because you could save anywhere and weren't sent back to the title screen if you died. I played them for the historical value (grandfather of JRPGs and all), but I wouldn't play them again because there's generally a straight nonlinear path you should go down despite the world being completely open-ended. I'm glad I did play them, though.

Tl;dr: Dragon Quest 3 was the first one with a well-defined job system, so if you played FF 1, 2, and 3, and that was the only thing that saved those games, skip DQ 1 and 2 unless you're really curious.

Also I don't know if the Switch ports allow you to save anywhere and send you back to your last save point if you die. That's something you should find out before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I put up a new poll - seeing as there are four Dragon Quest games coming out in about a week, and there are plenty of Smash fans who likely haven't played a Dragon Quest game before, I thought that it might help to give them an idea of which Dragon Quest game to look into if they've only got a Switch. I figure this thread would be the most informed about this sort of thing, even if it doesn't get as much traffic as the Ultimate Social Thread.

D

Deleted member

I put up a new poll - seeing as there are four Dragon Quest games coming out in about a week, and there are plenty of Smash fans who likely haven't played a Dragon Quest game before, I thought that it might help to give them an idea of which Dragon Quest game to look into if they've only got a Switch. I figure this thread would be the most informed about this sort of thing, even if it doesn't get as much traffic as the Ultimate Social Thread.
I would add IV, V and VIII to the poll actually. But if you are referring to the ones available, I would still put VIII since its on 3DS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I would add IV, V and VIII to the poll actually. But if you are referring to the ones available, I would still put VIII since its on 3DS.
I figured I'd keep things simple and stick to the Switch releases that are available on September 27th.

The 3DS titles are still easy to come by, since even if you can't find a physical version, there's always the eShop, but not everybody who owns Smash Ultimate might have a 3DS, and the DS games (4, 5, 6, 9) are harder to find. (not sure which ones have mobile ports - I think that 4-6 do, but sticking with the upcoming Switch releases seemed like the most straightforward/accessible way to go)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is a silly thing I made at my last Chinese class after finishing an exercise before everyone else

51AD5C14-BC28-4F2A-98C7-3652105C96B2.jpeg

Eight has no face since I didn’t know how to draw it and couldn’t use the phone at that moment.

D

Deleted member

Currently playing DQ 3. Just realized the six orbs on the Dragon Quest stage might be the six orbs you collect in Dragon Quest 3. It would make sense as to why given how the two games are connected, so that's cool.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm really glad that people will finalyl be able to play DQ3 on the switch :)

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
You know what nintendo france has banned the hero and all the following characters dlc in official tournament? What do you think?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what nintendo france has banned the hero and all the following characters dlc? What do you think?
To think the actual reason he wouldn't come back next game could very well be because the players can't read every language for the menu depending on the region the tourneys happen, not balancing. Not like they can't give a glossary of translated terms for the players, or anything, that'd be a waste of paper. :rolleyes:

Do you think it might be possible to represent the spells with symbols indicating what they can do?

What was their reasoning?
The menu is in a different language for every country, so most players can't know what the words mean.

Seriously, I'm not even joking.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
To think the actual reason he wouldn't come back next game could very well be because the players can't read every language for the menu depending on the region the tourneys happen, not balancing. Not like they can't give a glossary of translated terms for the players, or anything, that'd be a waste of paper. :rolleyes:

Do you think it might be possible to represent the spells with symbols indicating what they can do?

The menu is in a different language for every country, so most players can't know what the words mean.

Seriously, I'm not even joking.
But they will also ban the following characters dlc and I doubt that Terry has any movement in which it is necessary to read.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But they will also ban the following characters dlc and I doubt that Terry has any movement in which it is necessary to read.
Then it's just a case of double-standards. :ultgnw:

I mean, there's better ways to keep the skill ceiling balanced than ban every new character that would let players steamroll other people. It's almost like they'd want us to go back to the days of no items, Fox-only, Final Destination.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I think any subsequent DLC is banned because it is too close to the tournament, but IDK. The reasoning for banning Hero is certainly different from the reasoning for banning subsequent DLC though, so I wouldn't read into that part too much.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I think any subsequent DLC is banned because it is too close to the tournament, but IDK. The reasoning for banning Hero is certainly different from the reasoning for banning subsequent DLC though, so I wouldn't read into that part too much.
If it seems that it will only be for the between september 29 and 3 novembre tournnament althoughit seems that in the rest of the countries it will be possible to play with the hero and terry

Then it's just a case of double-standards. :ultgnw:

I mean, there's better ways to keep the skill ceiling balanced than ban every new character that would let players steamroll other people. It's almost like they'd want us to go back to the days of no items, Fox-only, Final Destination.
All this seems very hasty in my opinion

Last edited:
Top Bottom