• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wow, I got it to work!

The connection is pretty shaky though. Obviously properly-set-up home wifi is better, so I'm not surprised, but I hope that, however long it takes to download The Hero's update, my Switch doesn't disconnect in the meantime causing me to need to download it all over again.

But this is really useful, thanks for the heads up!
It might be slow, i think that's about it. From what I remember the download % can stay so long as youre trying to download it. Not saying there aren't cases where it might need to redownload from the start but i think you'll be ok.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It might be slow, i think that's about it. From what I remember the download % can stay so long as youre trying to download it. Not saying there aren't cases where it might need to redownload from the start but i think you'll be ok.
That's good to know. Very reassuring if that's the case.

I'm nearly done with Dragon Quest VIII. Being as vague as I can, I reached the point where the story objective matches an overarching story objective in Dragon Quest III. I wasn't expecting that call-back but it makes sense considering who gives it to you, haha.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If he comes out in August 4th it will be pretty close to my birthday as it is on 12.
I will have a microsurgery on my mouth(just removing a bit of gum to properly fix a filling that broke recently) this 30 through, so I will be on recovering(and probably with some pain still) when he will be released.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
This is a rather slow wait. And we are on page 23 that quickly advanced this

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Heh, I remember when before the Hero was revealed, people were talking about how much of a snoozefest Erdrick would be. Now look, everyone is getting impatient with his release. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Heh, I remember when before the Hero was revealed, people were talking about how much of a snoozefest Erdrick would be. Now look, everyone is getting impatient with his release. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kinda funny, innit?

bandwagoners-bandwagoners-everywhere-59b5e3.jpg

Fortunately, I've been accustomed to the idea of him getting in here for a while now (mainly because it would open the door to Slime and Jessica in the future), I can wait. Best to have a character that's reasonably prepared than one that's full of bugs.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Snooze is one of the spells I plan to spam when The Hero comes out so they weren't wrong ;p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Snooze is one of the spells I plan to spam when The Hero comes out so they weren't wrong ;p
I see what you did there.
Also, sleeping is a good way to distract yourself until they come out ;p

I think snooze and oomph will probably be the best spells to use.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Snooze has the potential to be the new Smash 4 Witch Time.

Guess it depends if it can or can't be shielded (probably will) if it goes through opponents (probably does), and how long the opponent is put to sleep. Could be a 1 second sleep spell.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Snooze has the potential to be the new Smash 4 Witch Time.

Guess it depends if it can or can't be shielded (probably will) if it goes through opponents (probably does), and how long the opponent is put to sleep. Could be a 1 second sleep spell.
From the way it looks, I think we might have a similar situation to P L A N T ' S Side-B in the sense that it doesn't look like it could be reflected, but it actually can.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You guys do know that you can't put aerial opponents to sleep at all, right? All you'd have to avoid Snooze is jump, not necessarily even over it.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You guys do know that you can't put aerial opponents to sleep at all, right? All you'd have to avoid Snooze is jump, not necessarily even over it.
True, but a moving sleep-inducing projectile is still nothing to scoff at. Not even Jiggs has that blessing. Snake's tranq gun in Project M was an extremely powerful tool. Obviously not the same thing, but still. It can also force your opponent to either jump or shield if they don't have a reflector, both of which you can try to read.

Honestly, the "usefulness" of Hero's more weird/untraditional spells is really going to come down to how MP works and if it can be replenished.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Been seeing some ramblings about how July 29th is getting this big maintenance session, and how Hero might release that day in particular, as DQ11 released on that particular day.

This could go in line with the Hero releasing in July (If that trailer title was anything to go by), and it fits in the timeframe of that Japanese 7-Eleven ad (It gets taken down on August 4th).

SargentReflux

Smash Rookie
Been seeing some ramblings about how July 29th is getting this big maintenance session, and how Hero might release that day in particular, as DQ11 released on that particular day.

This could go in line with the Hero releasing in July (If that trailer title was anything to go by), and it fits in the timeframe of that Japanese 7-Eleven ad (It gets taken down on August 4th).
But that's a Monday, which would mean Nintendo would announce it on Sunday, and Nintendo never announce anything on Sundays :/

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
We done it, guv! We only went and bleedin' done it!

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to beat the game before The Hero dropped, because I've been very busy around the house helping my family this entire month. If I wasn't so busy I'd have beaten it, say, a whole week ago. But anyway...

That was a super entertaining Dragon Quest game.
  • The voice acting was hit or miss, but all the core cast members (like your party members, King Trodain, Princess Medea, and Marcello (edit: and Charmles for being intentionally unlikeable lmao) hit it right out of the park. I'd put this set of party members right up there with the party members of Dragon Quest IV and Dragon Quest V, a high honor imho. That said I wish Jessica in particular had more focus and attention story-wise, aside from revenge for Alistair which she achieves, she mostly just gets possessed by Rhapthorne and then forgotten about after you save her. Yangus gets treated similarly by the story, for all fans love him, as we see his backstory pretty early on with Eight saving him, then his history with Red, then his strong dialogue and voice acting carry him the rest of the way. Angelo is the one with the most consistent focus throughout the game if only because of his strained relationship with Marcello and the church coming up time and time again.
  • Though at first the skill point system in the 3DS version can be initially frustrating as it won't clearly indicate what level you should be at before it lets you allocate more skill points, it stops mattering sometime after the halfway point. I really liked the level of customization it gave while still including reasonable limits on who can learn what, it's like a condensed vocational system from Dragon quest VII and VII which is really cool.
  • The difficulty is as fair as ever, aside from the Empyria fight which is understandable as she's a goddess testing you. I was biting my nails during the final fight against Rhapthorne.
  • At first I was worried the exploration wouldn't be as intricate as previous games, because there are 4 major continents and they're pretty easy to parse, but the fact that this is the first fully 3D Dragon Quest game in the series means that just looking around and surveying the landscape with the camera is tricky enough by itself.
  • The alchemy pot thing wasn't really for me, especially since it could be pretty easy to accidentally cancel completely out of the menu with the way it's set up in the 3DS version, but it was a good way to encourage me to hold onto old gear and see what I could cook up with it, which is a nice alternative to constantly selling old gear for money all the time.
  • At first, I wasn't a fan of how, no matter how many times you cornered Dhoulmagus / Rhapthorne, he ended up getting away anyway, or you ended up letting someone die, but I admit it does make FINALLY defeating him at the end all the more satisfying.
  • As an EarthBound fan, I enjoyed the gimmick of getting all 4 party members to use the Godbird Scepter in one turn seven times to destroy Rhapthorne's shield. You're not beating him nonviolently or anything but it's still a nice callback to EarthBound Beginnings' final battle with the Sing command there.
  • The music is pretty good, but I stand by my opinion that the version of To A Vast World in the 3DS western port isn't good because of the high pitched sound that genuinely hurts and irritates my ears (here's a link to my original post about it with a timestamp for the sound). If you didn't hear the sound or you somehow don't mind it, more power to you I suppose, and the rest of the soundtrack doesn't have any high pitched sounds that hurt my ears so it was fine. I will most likely listen to the symphonic version of the soundtrack from now on as that was the one used in the western PS2 version which I couldn't play this time.
  • Overall I think the strength of this Dragon Quest game in particular is how fully realized of a game it is.
    • It's in full 3D for the first time, so you walk around and talk to realistically proportioned NPCs, realistically sized houses and buildings, caves and towers feel as big as they should.
    • You physically open doors with a button press, and you even have to walk up to the doorknob rather than just any part of the door.
    • Your ship and the godbird soul of Empyria's child are as huge as they should be.
    • There's an in-story explanation for why King Trode and Princess Medea can't follow you everywhere, putting realistic limitations on why you can't always use the alchemy pot.
    • You find a preserve of sabrecats and that's where you learn to run around the overworld faster, which is needed given how much more vast and intimidating the land is to explore this time. There's even limits on where to summon sabrecats, the party only discovered Empycchu by boat after all, for example.
    • And of course, there are no overworld sprites of forests or towns or castles, the forest trees and towns and castles are just, like, right there, fully modeled and in view before you physically reach them.
    • This game in particular is as thoughtful as previous Dragon Quest games, but the thoughtfulness means much more this time because it's a fully realized 3D JRPG.
  • Gigagash as an upgrade of Gigaslash is hype and all, but it's no Sword of Ultimate Power from Dragon Quest VII.
Normally I skip the postgame to move onto something else to play after beating a Dragon Quest game, but since it isn't practical for me to buy a new game right now, and because internet is still out at our house, I'm going to dabble in the postgame for Dragon Quest VIII for a little bit and see if I can at least get that sword Eight is depicted with in Smash Ultimate before The Hero DLC drops this month or early next month. But yeah, I'd put this Dragon Quest game in my overall top 5.

Can't wait for The Hero, hope we see further news on them sometime soon.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Soooo what features do you guys think will be included with Hero?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm curious, who here is hyped as jeck about snooze?
What's good about snooze is the risk-reward factor. With jigglypuff it's a big risk because you have to be close so if you miss you're done since she can get ko'ed a lot easier. With hero you can potentially get someone asleep without much risk, tho there's the mp cost so you cant only spam it. It's going to be a really good move tho.

Last edited:

Kronch

Smash Cadet
If I had to guess, I would say Hero's coming tomorrow or next Saturday, with a gameplay video dropping the day before whichever day he comes on. These dates all fit with VR Plant saying Hero is coming "soon" earlier today, the 7/11 poster that essentially confirms Hero is coming by the 4th, the Nintendo "Coming in July" incident, and the fact that Dragon Quest games always release on Saturdays. I really think these dates make sense, so who knows, maybe the maintenance actually is something this time!

Then again, I also thought he'd come out on, like, the tenth or something. So what do I know? ;)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If I had to guess, I would say Hero's coming tomorrow or next Saturday, with a gameplay video dropping the day before whichever day he comes on. These dates all fit with VR Plant saying Hero is coming "soon" earlier today, the 7/11 poster that essentially confirms Hero is coming by the 4th, the Nintendo "Coming in July" incident, and the fact that Dragon Quest games always release on Saturdays. I really think these dates make sense, so who knows, maybe the maintenance actually is something this time!

Then again, I also thought he'd come out on, like, the tenth or something. So what do I know? ;)
I don't think nintendo release stuff like that on weekends. I wouldn't mind seeing someone bring up a case where it happened tho.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/img/spirits/spirits_1_brave_baby_panther.png
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/img/spirits/spirits_1_brave_killer_panther.png

If any DQ fanboy wants to help me: replace the string after Brave to various DQ characters to help "datamine" for spirits. So like replace "killer_panther" with "slime" to find slimes spirit. The tricky part is that they seem to use JP names. Here we call this enemy the Sabrecat and Sabrecub but the Japanese call them Killer Panthers and Baby Panthers

Teeb147

Smash Legend
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/img/spirits/spirits_1_brave_baby_panther.png
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/img/spirits/spirits_1_brave_killer_panther.png

If any DQ fanboy wants to help me: replace the string after Brave to various DQ characters to help "datamine" for spirits. So like replace "killer_panther" with "slime" to find slimes spirit. The tricky part is that they seem to use JP names. Here we call this enemy the Sabrecat and Sabrecub but the Japanese call them Killer Panthers and Baby Panthers
So is that the url to the smash app??

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Hmm seems likes Hero spirits are revealed/leaked.

Otherwise, I believe we might get Hero on Saturdays since DQ stuffs usually release on Saturdays, like a tradition!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hmm seems likes Hero spirits are revealed/leaked.

Otherwise, I believe we might get Hero on Saturdays since DQ stuffs usually release on Saturdays, like a tradition!
Interesting...do you think the Sabrecub (Baby Panther) is an enhanceable Spirit that turns him into Sabrecat (Wild Panther), as well as the Slime and King Slime?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This Spirit Battle leak has me thinking:

How similar would the Cetacea Spirit Battle be to the Wind Fish Spirit Battle? I mean, they’re both giant flying whales from similar franchises.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Interesting...do you think the Sabrecub (Baby Panther) is an enhanceable Spirit that turns him into Sabrecat (Wild Panther), as well as the Slime and King Slime?
It is possible and I would like it to be this way to give you more fun

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing I do hope is that the Victory theme isn't the battle victory "music".

It was the one thing I could never get in Dragon Quest 9, that the victory jingle was a single note beep. I'm sure it's super nostalgic for original Dragon Quest fans but it took me out when they used what sounded like a menu select bleep for standard fights.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
One thing I do hope is that the Victory theme isn't the battle victory "music".

It was the one thing I could never get in Dragon Quest 9, that the victory jingle was a single note beep. I'm sure it's super nostalgic for original Dragon Quest fans but it took me out when they used what sounded like a menu select bleep for standard fights.
I'm hoping the victory music Is the level up jingle.

Top Bottom