• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

I don’t really have playlist of music to wait for Hero, tbh.

I mostly tend to kill the wait by unlocking stuff in CTR NF everyday, progress on my current playthrough of DQ8, fight some criminals and complete stuff on Spider-Man PS4 and during the next week enjoy a week at Madrid with an old friend.

But yeah, “I need a Hero” does fit me right now.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My "Waiting for The Hero" playlist I'm thinking is this.

1. Hearts On Fire (John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band)
2. Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
3. No Easy Way Out (Robert Tepper)
4. Born To Be A Winner (John Loeffler & John Siegler)
5. Rockstar (Nickelback)
6. Falling Down (Breaking Point)
7. Change (Deftones)
8. Revelation (American Pearl)
9. Lost (Haji's Kitchen)
10. Phoenix (Breaking Point)
11. Hero (Skillet)

So, what do you think?
That’s an awesome list! I got many of those on another (serious) playlist.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Nearly a month later and I'm still amazed by what a turnaround of interest Dragon Quest is getting. For years and years I'd be met with "Eh, not interested" when suggesting it and now so many people are taking a genuine interest in the series. It's so good to see.

5. Rockstar (Nickelback)
7. Change (Deftones)
9. Lost (Haji's Kitchen)
11. Hero (Skillet)

So, what do you think?
I've got a ton of Dragon Quest music lined up as my "Waiting for Hero" playlist, haha. I'd almost forgotten how good the orchestral tracks were.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to share something real quick.

There's a brief shot of the Hero in a shielding animation during his reveal trailer.
Screenshot_20190707-060530.png

Obviously, this is similar to the Links' mechanic where they block small projectiles while idle, but I've been wondering if it could actually be a special move.

I'll include an explanation under a spoiler tag for convenience.
All of the Links' idle animations have them hold their shield so they're pointed directly at the opponent. This is a pretty practical way to signify that it's capable of blocking projectiles. There's a slight animation change as he does so, holding the shield tighter and closer to his body, but it's not too drastic.

One thing I've noticed is that the Hero's idle animation has his shield at his side, not pointed at the opponent.
Screenshot_20190707-060409.png

Screenshot_20190707-060700.png

Screenshot_20190707-060748.png

It's possible their animation could change when they have to block a projectile, but it'd be a lot more jarring, animation-wise, than how Link does it.

Curiously, the Hero does hold his shield properly while crouching, so he might have access to Link's blocking mechanic when doing so.
Screenshot_20190707-060553.png

Screenshot_20190707-060506.png

To bring us back to the shielding animation, notice how unusually dark the shield is.
Screenshot_20190707-060530.png

It reminds me of how Yoshi's shield darkens when it's low on health.

I tried recreating this scene with Link, and there's a few things of note.
IMG_20190707_063020.jpg

One thing I wanted to be sure of is if the dark shield effect is simply because of the stage's lighting. Link's shield does look a little dark here, but not as much so.
IMG_20190707_063022.jpg

The shield's lighting also isn't affected by Bowser's fire. On that note, I also wanted to recreate the mechanical effect of Hero's shield.

Link couldn't effectively block all of Bowser's hits for very long. Depending on the position of both Link and the fire, Link would often block a single hit of Bowser's fire breath before taking every hit. I've had a bit more success if Link is standing right next to Bowser, which causes him to block the breath for a bit longer.

The Hero is seemingly able to block every hit from a comfortable distance, in contrast. Although we only saw a second of it, it seems a lot more effective.

With all this in mind, I'm not entirely sure how the mechanics of this move would work, assuming it's a special move.

It doesn't reflect projectiles, like Pit's Down B in Brawl. It only absorbs them, and it seems to have a limit of how much it can do so. Maybe it'll restore MP if it successfully absorbs hits?

As for what this move is, I have no idea. There's a variety of Shield skills to choose from, and the function of this one move doesn't seem to match any of them. If you can move while shielding and deal damage, it might be Blockenspiel, but who knows. It might just be a generic Defend command.

The current theory for how Hero's menu system works is that each special has access to its own menu, giving him access to up to 4 spells for input. Given that Frizz, Zap, and Kacrackle Slash fit Side B the most, this shielding move might complete the set.

I'm, uh. Not as confident in this theory as I was when I started writing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

5. Rockstar (Nickelback)
7. Change (Deftones)
9. Lost (Haji's Kitchen)
11. Hero (Skillet)

So, what do you think?
Not bad, personally I would have thrown in Holding Out For A Hero (Bonnie Tyler) and Eye of The Tiger (Survivor).

Meanwhile, his detractors would play We Don't Need Another Hero (Tina Turner).

This song is gonna play louder and louder as we go deeper into Summer.
Oh, I've been :ultgreninja:ed.

Nearly a month later and I'm still amazed by what a turnaround of interest Dragon Quest is getting. For years and years I'd be met with "Eh, not interested" when suggesting it and now so many people are taking a genuine interest in the series. It's so good to see.
Never underestimate the Smash Effect, it can make anything get more notice. :ultmarth::ultroy:

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
This just dropped.
Not much interesting stuff in these screenshots... except for what appears to be Thunder Slash over the Hero's up smash animation.

That aside, this might be an indication that the Hero will drop soon.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice

The important part is the second paragraph:

"Check out the 25 tutorials and see you soon for a very special Let's Smash! (Who talked about the Hero?)"

Let's Smash being the name of this video series.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On second thought, Survivor's Burning Heart might work out better for a song to add for a playlist.

This just dropped.
Not much interesting stuff in these screenshots... except for what appears to be Thunder Slash over the Hero's up smash animation.

We'll see. I'd expect August at the latest.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
After that Nintendo france thing I'm thinking Wednesday evening we get a small direct for 4.0 and he releases that night or thursday.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This just dropped.

Those screenshots have been there since the day hero has been revealed (so a month now).

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm really concerned about the mechanics of the magic menu. Between Sakurai's comment in the famitsu column, and the whole "something unpopular in the next challenger pack trailer" thing, I'm really worried that the spells hero has access to will be randomized each time you open the menu. That would essentially kill them competitively.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm really concerned about the mechanics of the magic menu. Between Sakurai's comment in the famitsu column, and the whole "something unpopular in the next challenger pack trailer" thing, I'm really worried that the spells hero has access to will be randomized each time you open the menu. That would essentially kill them competitively.

What is the something unpopular in the next challenger pack? I haven’t heard about this

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Then it would prove that people simply can't adapt to the situation. :drshrug:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
If its random it doesn't seem like a big deal we haven't even gotten them yet so theres no reason to complain

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah. And based on what we've seen, they look like a lot of fun to play as. I'll probably use them frequently regardless, but I really want to see them do well in real tournaments.
Have a lil faith bud I'm sure they'll be fine

Slime Master

Smash Ace
What is the something unpopular in the next challenger pack? I haven’t heard about this
Someone on the Geno support thread was saying Sabi PM'd them on discord saying there would be "extreme salt" (or something thereabouts) in the Hero showcase video. Definitely take with a grain of salt (heh) considering this is second hand information and I don't really know what to think of Sabi after the whole E3 situation. It's also a very vague statement: some have speculated it actually means mii costume de-confirms or that Hero will come with minimal DQ content as well.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If it's the Mii costume thing, then the theory that the Geno costume might come back might prove true. In which case, I'd definitely feel for the fans, but also I'd be glad that the costume came back at all, because I've been using and creating Mii Fighters way more this time around, and even if he isn't his own character he'd feel welcome in my house.

D

Deleted member

Someone on the Geno support thread was saying Sabi PM'd them on discord saying there would be "extreme salt" (or something thereabouts) in the Hero showcase video. Definitely take with a grain of salt (heh) considering this is second hand information and I don't really know what to think of Sabi after the whole E3 situation. It's also a very vague statement: some have speculated it actually means mii costume de-confirms or that Hero will come with minimal DQ content as well.
Wouldn't take that too seriously according to some of the comments from the other threads. The dude that posted that has been kinda wrong in a lot of stuff in the past and sometimes exaggerates things.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Smash fandom is gonna get salty" can mean absolutely anything, including Hero's reveal. I wouldn't read too much into it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By the way Smash just got hit with server maintenance. Now as always it could mean nothing but it is almost the midpoint of July so Hero is right around the corner anyways. This maintenance could very well be an indicator of an upcoming Showcase shadow drop a la Joker.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Then it would prove that people simply can't adapt to the situation. :drshrug:
I thought the competitive Smash community already proved that with how they've constantly hung on to Melee for about two decades. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it would be like if people demanded that Super Street Fighter 2 or Street Fighter 3 Third Strike should take priority over Street Fighter 4 or 5 in competitions like EVO.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought the competitive Smash community already proved that with how they've constantly hung on to Melee for about two decades. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it would be like if people demanded that Super Street Fighter 2 or Street Fighter 3 Third Strike should take priority over Street Fighter 4 or 5 in competitions like EVO.
Yeah. It's gone beyond the point of silliness. People forget how to actually have fun, and not be obsessed with being top dog.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Wouldn't take that too seriously according to some of the comments from the other threads. The dude that posted that has been kinda wrong in a lot of stuff in the past and sometimes exaggerates things.
I had heard a bit about that, but not enough specifics to know how significant it is. Claiming to be an insider and making predictions based on that is a lot different from claiming an insider is PM-ing you info, and if their history is in the former I wouldn't count that against them when doing the latter.

That said, I wrote that post just before going to bed and not willing to put much time into it, so it came out with much less emphasis on the grain of salt part than it should have. I agree that "there will be salt" is 100% guaranteed with anything smash related, so that's pretty useless to us. I also believe the other things I brought up are not insignificant points against the information even if said information was useful in any way.

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
Pretty sure it will be the Geno costume.

Top Bottom