• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah! It's still surreal in itself that saying Smash Bros right next to Dragon Quest will seem so natural now.

And top the fact that it's one of the BEST represented IPs in the game, it's beyond anything I ever dreamed of.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
It's water under the bridge at this point, but on Smash's Japanese site Hero's character name is literally just "Brave". Keep this in mind if theres any future datamines.

Also, DQ games have been doing quite well on mobile app charts. If only SE had mainline games on Switch....

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's water under the bridge at this point, but on Smash's Japanese site Hero's character name is literally just "Brave". Keep this in mind if theres any future datamines.

Also, DQ games have been doing quite well on mobile app charts. If only SE had mainline games on Switch....
It's 'Yuusha'. Which is what was kind of expected.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, forgot to add its "Brave" when Google translated.
It's interesting that it still says 'hero' in big font, even for the japanese site. I hope that makes people realize that brave isn't the right translation.
In any case it still wasnt the bestest codename :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gotta say, I don't want to relieve the discussions from back then. All the brave talk ended burning me down.
It's interesting that it still says 'hero' in big font, even for the japanese site. I hope that makes people realize that brave isn't the right translation.
In any case it still wasnt the bestest codename :p
Dunno really, given that we had to deal with a few months of discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Playing through DQ VIII and having a good time. Smash is the best excuse to get games I've wanted to play for years under my belt. :V

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Tbh I was 95% confident thanks to Shinya with his Instagram post about Brave’s shield.

But yeah, Dark times.

Also...

“dRaGoN qUeSt In SmAsH dOeSnT mEaN iTlL bEcOmE mOrE pOpUlAr”

(Already, the App Store has 2 DQ games on their Top 10).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gotta say, I don't want to relieve the discussions from back then. All the brave talk ended burning me down.

Dunno really, given that we had to deal with a few months of discussions.
I mean, it's all over now. no one can say brave isn't erdrick XD
(it's just much more than that too)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Tbh I was 95% confident thanks to Shinya with his Instagram post about Brave’s shield.

But yeah, Dark times.

Also...

Like I said all Sakurai had to do was work that magic and everything would be good

D

Deleted member

But yeah, Dark times.

Also...

DQ4 and 5 also shot up near the top of Amazon's best selling DS games, even above a lot of the Pokemon games. It's so nice to see so many people giving DQ a shot now.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
DQ4 and 5 also shot up near the top of Amazon's best selling DS games, even above a lot of the Pokemon games. It's so nice to see so many people giving DQ a shot now.
My friend asked me about Eight because he liked his pet and I told him to check out the 3ds remake so theres another fan right there and he's loving it the smash effect is a good thing and hopefully the series gets the attention it deserves

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Like I said all Sakurai had to do was work that magic and everything would be good
I had complete confidence in him. This is precisely the outcome I was expecting. :) Hopefully this will lead to DQ having a stronger presence in the West now.

That's awesome! I'm surprised there are still copies available.
And above Pokemon? That's quite the achievement!

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
It does my heart good to see people starting to appreciate Dragon Quest more. Hero is easily my all-time favourite newcomer, and the fact they're getting more people into this series makes it all the better!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Keep in mind that Smash pushed FE into the mainstream for the West.

So maybe the same could happen with DQ. Especially since DQ11 is getting a bit of a spotlight.
That’s what I was telling people but these skeptics said it doesn’t apply. If anything, it’ll hit way harder than FE did back in Melee.

I'm just happy our Hope's and dreams were so powerful, Chadrick brought his homiesView attachment 228237
I love this pic. Chadrick is awesome but the best part is Munchad and Slime Chadring.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
That’s what I was telling people but these skeptics said it doesn’t apply. If anything, it’ll hit way harder than FE did back in Melee.
Hopefully in a few years Dragon Quest will be among the real big-hitter RPGs in the west.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It does my heart good to see people starting to appreciate Dragon Quest more. Hero is easily my all-time favourite newcomer, and the fact they're getting more people into this series makes it all the better!
Thanks for reminding me about the roster maker. I was wondering when they'd add the heroes.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for reminding me about the roster maker. I was wondering when they'd add the heroes.
I was surprised to see them added so quickly. Warchamp7 on the ball, even made a Luminary wallpaper (though no Erdrick, sadly)

Also, I gotta love how Hero's icon on my mains list displays as Captain Falcon's 64 icon, lol

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Something mildly amusing to me is that in the current official everyone is here art, the Luminary is sitting right in between my 3 mains.
20190617_010837.png

Kinda motivates me to give him a fair shot as a main, honestly.

I'm just happy our Hope's and dreams were so powerful, Chadrick brought his homiesView attachment 228237
Imma gonna have to save that pic of the Guv

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Something mildly amusing to me is that in the current official everyone is here art, the Luminary is sitting right in between my 3 mains.
View attachment 228312

Kinda motivates me to give him a fair shot as a main, honestly.

Imma gonna have to save that pic of the Guv
I find it touching his pose is Links from OoT considering there franchises came out the same year.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
This reveal was the second time I ever jumped out of my seat from excitement after a smash announcement.
I played DQ IX way back when, but gave up because my crappy DS would shut off randomly making me lose hours of grinding. Definately going to buy DQ VIII on 3DS it's on sale rn.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
well if hero was a late june release then I Imagine we'd see An Overview trailer either tuesday or wednesday with Hero being released the very next day

if that isn't the case then July 4th is still my guess

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I’m thankful I don’t have to buy Dragon Quest games now after Hero got in Smash. I imagine it’s now more difficult to get those DS games online due to a sudden increase of demand and price. I got all four DS games (4, 5, 6, and 9) 10 years ago and both 3DS games (7 and 8) a couple years ago. Oh, I also got Dragon Quest Heroes for PS4 and Dragon Quest Builders for Switch a couple years ago. Wow, that’s a lot of games I don’t have to buy online at this time.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
One thing which spells could be the remaining ones to an unknown

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
During the trailer we could see that there would be a spell selection menu we could see 7 spells and what could be the remaining

Teeb147

Smash Legend
During the trailer we could see that there would be a spell selection menu we could see 7 spells and what could be the remaining
We saw a dozen spells overall, and with other pictures we think there could be a few more too. (possibly heal and some upwards hitting lightning one)

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
It reminds me of the mocking cloud where it does as if it did magic

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It reminds me of the mocking cloud where it does as if it did magic
It's hard to say for sure for now. I would enjoy heal, but there's still so many spells to have fun with that it doesn't matter too much, i think.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It's hard to say for sure for now. I would enjoy heal, but there's still so many spells to have fun with that it doesn't matter too much, i think.
Its not really a deal breaker either way. But if heal and boom is in there too, then that means Sakurai pretty much added almost every single hero class spell and ability.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Can I just say that you guys are like, the MVPs of character supporters?

Like for real, you guys had practially an entire nation of Smash players telling you how "dumb" or "boring" your character pick was, but you kept on keeping on because it's a series you loved. Not only that, but you got the best of multiple worlds with the different protags being alts! Reminds me of how absolutely floored I was that Richter was added.

People really underestimate just how important DQ is. Admittedly, it's pretty much the only Square IP I had zero investment in prior (Outside of Fortune Street, that game is the bomb), but had always wanted to try. It's popularity overseas is INSANE, like moreso than people want to believe. Always appreciate Smash giving me that extra boost to try something, because I'm having a lot of fun with 8 right now, just got Angelo and am feeling like the real game has only just begun. Like, there is something so... Refreshing about playing such a traditional RPG, you know? It's nostalgic.

Plus, Hero is pretty much what I ALWAYS wanted a Final Fantasy rep to be growing up. MP? Crazy spells and abilities? A command menu? Like, I love Cloud, but he is definitely a FF7 rep, not a general FF rep. I'm so stoked to try them out.

Also is it bad that I named 8's protag Hero

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Its not really a deal breaker either way. But if heal and boom is in there too, then that means Sakurai pretty much added almost every single hero class spell and ability.
Funnily enough, I haven't thought much about boom since the reveal. I definitely would enjoy seeing it. I think it'd be cool to see it somewhere in the A attacks like down smash, but it'd make more sense for B, of course. I do wonder, now that you brought it up. And yeah, having heal would kind of complete the full hero moveset sorta.

If there's anything more, I basically would wanna see heal, boom, and another slash skill or two. It's already far beyond what i'd expected for spells tho :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like for real, you guys had practially an entire nation of Smash players telling you how "dumb" or "boring" your character pick was, but you kept on keeping on because it's a series you loved. Not only that, but you got the best of multiple worlds with the different protags being alts! Reminds me of how absolutely floored I was that Richter was added.

People really underestimate just how important DQ is. Admittedly, it's pretty much the only Square IP I had zero investment in prior (Outside of Fortune Street, that game is the bomb), but had always wanted to try. It's popularity overseas is INSANE, like moreso than people want to believe. Always appreciate Smash giving me that extra boost to try something, because I'm having a lot of fun with 8 right now, just got Angelo and am feeling like the real game has only just begun. Like, there is something so... Refreshing about playing such a traditional RPG, you know? It's nostalgic.

Plus, Hero is pretty much what I ALWAYS wanted a Final Fantasy rep to be growing up. MP? Crazy spells and abilities? A command menu? Like, I love Cloud, but he is definitely a FF7 rep, not a general FF rep. I'm so stoked to try them out.

I'm really just glad to see the overall effect that this is having on the community at large. It's reassuring that, with everything in perspective, the complainers are always going to be a vocal minority when it comes to pretty much any character in Smash.
And I'm also really glad that so many people are trying out the series now. I feel like this is the push DQ needed for SE to actually care about its Western success.

D

Deleted member

I for one appreciate those words!

Yeah, these past months have been full of tension between the stuff regarding Smash and the hellish status of my personal life... but thankfully things seem to finally be going for the better after the month started.

I’m excited to play as Eight the day he releases, and hopefully the Fire Emblem effect happens with DQ.

Top Bottom