• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
So what do you guys think will come with Hero in 4.0.0?

I'm thinking it'll include a Boss Mode because of the Rathalos in their trailer (Unless of course, that's the final boss of their classic mode).
Boss mode would be great! All the bosses are already made so it shouldn't be too bad.

Who do we have?
Master and Crazy Hand
Rathalos
Galeem
Dracula
Giga Bowser
Ganon
That Kirby boss? I forgot his name lol

Things they could add
Shadow boss of your own character
Old brawl bosses

Also where's home run contest and an actual all star mode? Break the targets/board the platforms?

D

Deleted member

I kinda feel that break the targets could be integrated to the stage editor easily.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My theory about the Hero's special moves is that all of them bring up a menu.
Neutral Special yields the Sizzle, Psych Up, Oomph, and Snooze spells
Side Special yields the Zap, Kacrackle Slash, and possibly one or two other spells.
Up Special yields the Zoom, Kaswoosh, and possibly two other spells.
Down Special yields the Bounce, Kaclang, and Kamikaze spells.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That’s a good theory.

What other 2 recoveries could he have?

Evac? (A horizontal version of Zoom)
Wind Sickles? (Similar to Robin’s Up+B)

The anticipation is killing me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My theory about the Hero's special moves is that all of them bring up a menu.
Neutral Special yields the Sizzle, Psych Up, Oomph, and Snooze spells
Side Special yields the Zap, Kacrackle Slash, and possibly one or two other spells.
Up Special yields the Zoom, Kaswoosh, and possibly two other spells.
Down Special yields the Bounce, Kaclang, and Kamikaze spells.
Yup that seems like the most likely. It's possible that the fourth down b spell is heal. And you may have missed frizz too, which might be on side b.

It could also be another system but it still makes sense considering what we saw. I could see there only being two for up b, but it does seem like the other ones could have 4, or at least 2-3 (other than neutral b).
Which could mean there's somewhere between 10 or 12 to 16 spells to use :D

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The question is do you have to scroll through the menu each time to use the move? Or do you select it from the menu once and then tap the button to use it? I really hope it's the latter.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The question is do you have to scroll through the menu each time to use the move? Or do you select it from the menu once and then tap the button to use it? I really hope it's the latter.
So far, we've only seen the cursor in the menu go downwards. We've yet to see it go upwards. But I'm really hoping Hero has the latter.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Since it (and the other unnamed fire attack) are all fire spells I'm assuming it's a variant of Sizzle simmilarly to how Robin can use Thunder, Arcthunder, Elethunder, and Thoron.
Possible, but that charged spell looked like kafrizzle and not sizzle.

I like the each has a menu, tap the button to use last picked idea. Hope it's that.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
heard Matt Mcmuscles(formerly of super best friends)got some backlash because he really reacted negatively to the DQ Hero's reveal and acted as if that's all he was gonna see for smash that day

several other youtubers i think did the same and just passed off the DQ Hero as "Boring Uninteresting Trash that nobody asked for"

jeez i had to bring this up because it's nuts that when you look at reactions to that direct at this point you expect most gaming youtubers to just facepalm or get mad at DQ Hero's inclusion

You'd think they'd know Nintendo didn't put that character in just to annoy them and ruin their day

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've withheld judgement/posting for a few days since I knew things would get out of hand like this.

Personally I am ecstatic/think this is the best way they could have handled the character (no IV Heroine female counterpart/Sofia is a bit of a bummer, but understandable if things like time constraints are taken into account) and look forward to trying them.

Regarding the overall/overwhelmingly negative perception, it's difficult for me to say much since my perspective/bias on the whole matter kicked in since before the whole reveal became evident (I didn't "lose hope" or think we would only get one character at E3, nor do I feel Hero stole any spot from others I would prefer).

I think this thread by Pereden from Smash Twitter sums all of it up best:

Seeing the Nintendo NYC Store reaction warms my heart even more knowing all of this.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So Erdrick got in, but Tansut got btfo'd anyway? Hilarious. The Hero looks amazing. DQ XI is my favorite one by far so I'm super pumped that Luminary is the default.
Tansut’s claim was weird because he always seemed unsure about the female alt thing (he only said “apparently” and didn’t double down on the claim when he clarified it) and never committed 100% to Erdrick.

Regardless, I’m just happy that we got some DQ representation. I feel like I was strung along, having been invested in the rumors for the better part of a year and would have been really disappointed if they didn’t pan out.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I am very happy for the inclusion of dragon quest a smash I am a big fan of dragon quest and was the saga of third company that wanted more in smash. It is a pity all the hatred that the hero is taking.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
now all that remains is his release date....at best it could be early july at worst it could be anytime in august....

and unlikely but hypest it could be next week

D

Deleted member

now all that remains is his release date....at best it could be early july at worst it could be anytime in august....

I'm certainly thinking sooner than later.
Joker wasn't even (presumably) in a playable state by the time of the February direct a couple months after his announcement, while the Heroes appear to already be in a mostly playable state.

Last edited by a moderator:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'm certainly thinking sooner than later.
Joker wasn't even (presumably) in a playable state by the time of the February direct a couple months after his announcemeny, while the Heroes appear to already be in a mostly playable state.
exactly! that's why I wouldn't be surprised if hero's released next week but if that's the case then why wouldn't they say as much if he's coming out sooner than later down the line instead of giving a vague summer 2019 date

There's nothing that really seems unfinished when looking at Hero

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman

And I want to know some things about his stage! Because for now, it looks like we've only seen the omega form of it, am I right?

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
yeah it seems really odd that they are staying tight lipped about the stage...is it still in development?

we've seen it but not that much

D

Deleted member

We should make a thank you letter to Sakurai for adding the Hero in.

Maybe NomadLuminary NomadLuminary could assemble the people from his Discord server too.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I Hope Hero isn't too difficult to learn cause i wanna make him my new secondary

i hope it's true that he's out sooner than later cause i do wanna see if he's right for the task

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Possible, but that charged spell looked like kafrizzle and not sizzle.

I like the each has a menu, tap the button to use last picked idea. Hope it's that.
Perhaps Sizzle is the medium charged version?
heard Matt Mcmuscles(formerly of super best friends)got some backlash because he really reacted negatively to the DQ Hero's reveal and acted as if that's all he was gonna see for smash that day

several other youtubers i think did the same and just passed off the DQ Hero as "Boring Uninteresting Trash that nobody asked for"

jeez i had to bring this up because it's nuts that when you look at reactions to that direct at this point you expect most gaming youtubers to just facepalm or get mad at DQ Hero's inclusion

You'd think they'd know Nintendo didn't put that character in just to annoy them and ruin their day
I think it's a combination of the character not having a name, Dragon Quest being only popular in Japan, and Hero looking like a mix between Link and Robin at first glance.

The most positive reaction I saw was from Maximillian Dood and his friends. They basically just said "I'm sure it's cool for some people but I don't really get it".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Checking the calendar, if Summer 2019 is to be taken as set, Hero will be released any time between now and August 31making a maximum of 78 days to wait.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I only now realized that in the trailer when luminary lifts the barrel to find the pin, that's to represent a mini medal lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I only now realized that in the trailer when luminary lifts the barrel to find the pin, that's to represent a mini medal lol.
Now I need to rewatch and see all the small references...

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Checking the calendar, if Summer 2019 is to be taken as set, Hero will be released any time between now and August 31making a maximum of 78 days to wait.
i hope it's not august....that'd be way too long

even late july would be too long

after the joker debacle i think sooner is better than way later

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I know some people are bummed at all the indifferent or negative receptions, but I am I happy for all the positive ones we got.

My favorite has to be this one

D

Deleted member

Most of the Discords I’m in are happy about the Hero and excited about them.

And that even includes the Papageno server.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524

i wanna believe this guy's theory as unlikely as it is...just cause i wanna play hero that much sooner than late july or whatever

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i wanna believe this guy's theory as unlikely as it is...just cause i wanna play hero that much sooner than late july or whatever
Freaking same.
I already want to see Eight and Samus face to face.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just had a thought:

How would Hero screw with the game when he releases? Piranha Plant corrupted save data, Joker’s FS soft-locked when finishing with it, so now it’s Hero’s turn. I’m betting he prevents both sides from respawning after using Kamikazee to KO everyone.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I feel like I needed a new main. I've been dragging Sonic since Brawl, and people still disrespect him, so I have to recharge somehow.
Hero isn't exactly appreciated, but at least the salt is new. :p

As for matchup specifics, I can't wait to face:
Erdrick vs Link (for all the back and forth)
Eight vs Cloud (because for a long time, Eight was the western DQ Cloud).
Eight vs Sonic (my PS2 boyz)
Luminary vs Cloud (for the artwork)
Luminary vs Marth (for the trailer)

And I'm playing as all of them. Although I will have to at least choose a favorite to become the face of my main icon.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I only started getting into DQ 2 weeks prior to Hero's reveal and the one thing that stood out to me is that fans always seem to speak in a negative way about the music composer, so if it's not too much to ask, why?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So far Hero is the DLC newcomer I'm most excited about playing. Joker didn't do it for me after it was apparent his Persona gimmick was simply making his attacks stronger. The fact that there's an MP gauge where you can use different spells completely hooked me in, I was afraid that we might get another Cloud situation where magic wouldn't be used very extensively as part of the moveset. I'm glad my fears didn't turn into reality.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I only started getting into DQ 2 weeks prior to Hero's reveal and the one thing that stood out to me is that fans always seem to speak in a negative way about the music composer, so if it's not too much to ask, why?
From what I gather, he’s super racist to Koreans, anti-LGBT, and pro-nuclear weapons. He hasn’t endeared himself to a lot of people.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So far Hero is the DLC newcomer I'm most excited about playing. Joker didn't do it for me after it was apparent his Persona gimmick was simply making his attacks stronger. The fact that there's an MP gauge where you can use different spells completely hooked me in, I was afraid that we might get another Cloud situation where magic wouldn't be used very extensively as part of the moveset. I'm glad my fears didn't turn into reality.
I’m really excited about his moveset! There’s so much magic, that I don’t mind that almost every sword attack is recycled from somebody else. Heck, that means he’ll be good even without his magic!
And at least I really wanted someone who had this menu+MP gimmick, and I’m glad it was DQ.

Ok a side note.
I just had the craziest thing occur to me.
Because so many people were guessing “extra story mode” when the trailer started, I was thinking...
... what if we got Alefgard as an extra map on WoL!? And an extra boss as well! You’d have to more or less play a WoL version of DQ1, gather the 3 items, make the bridge, and reach Dragonlord’s castle. Then proceeds to beat whoever stands inside the castle as the map’s boss.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I’m really excited about his moveset! There’s so much magic, that I don’t mind that almost every sword attack is recycled from somebody else. Heck, that means he’ll be good even without his magic!
And at least I really wanted someone who had this menu+MP gimmick, and I’m glad it was DQ.

Ok a side note.
I just had the craziest thing occur to me.
Because so many people were guessing “extra story mode” when the trailer started, I was thinking...
... what if we got Alefgard as an extra map on WoL!? And an extra boss as well! You’d have to more or less play a WoL version of DQ1, gather the 3 items, make the bridge, and reach Dragonlord’s castle. Then proceeds to beat whoever stands inside the castle as the map’s boss.
An interesting idea.
Call it a hunch but I'm starting to think that after the fighter pass DLC is done we might get a story mode expansion involving the rest of the DLC characters.

Top Bottom