• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
(Post originally by Ryuumo The Zekenator before he deleted his account, left the site, and passed the thread down onto me)

Congratulations DQ fans,

The Hero(es) draw near. Command?

Under recommendation by Megadoomer Megadoomer a new social thread was created to celebrate the arrival of the Luminary, Erdrick (called Arusu by Sakurai, from an old drama CD in Japan), Solo, and Eight into the Smash Bros. So feel free to discuss your favorite heroes, games, etc.

Here is a short introduction to the heroes, there's light spoilers regarding the first hours of the games but the heavy spoilers are collapsed.

Important note regarding the characters

Unlike a lot of other popular JRPGs nowadays, the heroes in Dragon Quest are silent and while a lot of them have certain traits and personalities you have to fill a lot of details by yourself, which to the benefit of the series immerses the player into the world of Dragon Quest.

Eleven aka the Luminary

The main protagonist of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. A young man from the village of Cobblestone who on his 16th birthday finds that he bears the eponymous mark of the Luminary which means that he is destined to save the world of Erdrea from a great evil. Just shortly after starting his journey, he is accused by the King Carnelian of being the Darkspawn, an evil that is foretold to bring the destruction of the world, and imprisoned. In captivity he meets Erik, his first companion who helps him escape. Now persecuted, he must gather allies, evade the forces of King Carnelian and save Erdrea from the great evil that's...out there, somewhere.

Dragon Quest XI is unique in the series in that the player character is not told what, exactly, their journey entails, only that they must explore the world to figure it out. The Luminary knows he must save Erdrea, only not how, or even why. That's for you to find out!

DQXI can be found currently on PS4 and PC, with an additional version on 3DS which is not localized. The recently released Switch version contains various QoL improvements like the ability to speed up battles, orchestrated OST, content found in the 3DS version and also the ability to switch between HD mode and 16-bit mode at save points like churches (the aforementioned 3DS content is played entirely in the 16-bit mode). I personally consider the Nintendo Switch port to be the best starting point for anyone looking to get into the Dragon Quest series, the campaign is very hefty and the party members are some of the best and most fleshed out in all of Dragon Quest.

This is the original Luminary thread and the original creator was AustarusIV AustarusIV .

Arusu aka Erdrick

The hero of legend Erdrick who debuted on Dragon Quest III: The seeds of Salvation, here in his male version. He is the son of the legendary warrior Ortega, who on his 16th birthday (we can see a pattern here) is given the challenge by the King of Aliahan to defeat Baramos, whom Ortega attempted to fight but apparently perished. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, he is given the name "Arusu" by Masahiro Sakurai, which comes from an audio drama CD released in Japan (think of it like a pre-recorded radio show), so it's not official but is a suggestion by Sakurai for those who do not wish to refer to him as Erdrick or Three.

Across his adventure he ends up traveling to the world of the original DQ games, Alefgard, where he obtains the title of Erdrick and becomes the legend referenced in both Dragon Quest I and II.

DQIII can be found in multiple systems. The most prominent are the NES version which was localized, the SNES remake which while not localized has been fan translated and is considered one of the best if not the best version of DQIII, the Game Boy Color version which localizes his name as Loto (his name in Japan) and is a pretty good port, and the Android / IOS versions [I, the thread owner, played the first three Dragon Quest games on Android and enjoyed myself perfectly fine - TheYungLink].

The most readily available and competent version of Dragon Quest III (as well as I and II) is the Nintendo Switch version that is available to purchase digitally on the Nintendo eShop. It is very similar the the Android / iOS versions, however you can play with physical buttons and an actual control stick / D-pad if touch controls were putting you off from checking the game out on smartphone. While the Nintendo Switch port of Dragon Quest III lacks the battle animations of the SNES version, it's highly recommended you take this opportunity to check out Dragon Quest III. It's one of the single most influential video games ever created, and is not only a great game that holds up today when engaging with it on its own merits, but is an overall must for anyone who considers themselves an RPG scholar.

The male version is playable but not the female version. For those curious, this is her design.

It looks similar to male Erdrick, most likely due to how, in the original NES game, the player was given a choice of gender but used the same sprite for both, unlike any of the other classes like Warriors, Mages, etc. which had distinct 8-bit sprites for each gender even back then. The design comes from the SNES remake whose similarity references this quirk from the original, and has reappeared in the Game Boy Color, smartphone, and Nintendo Switch versions.

Here is the original Erdrick thread originally created by GM_3826 GM_3826 and currently owned by Teeb147 Teeb147 . More pictures of female Erdrick are also found within.

Eight

Eight is the main protagonist of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. This young guard of the Kingdom of Trodain embarks on an adventure along King Trode and Princess Medea in pursuit of the fiendish Dhoulmagus, to lift a terrible curse that left the King Trode transformed into a troll, the princess Medea transformed into a horse, and the rest of the Kingdom transformed into plants. Across his journey he will find memorable allies such as the thief Yangus, Jessica the mage and the templar Angelo who will help stop Dhoulmagus to break the curse and return King Trode, the Princess and the Kingdom back to normal. Also, among his inseparable companions you can find Munchie, a mouse, whom you can see accompanied Eight into smash.

You can find DQVIII on the PS2 (which is the original version), Mobile and 3DS. PS2 version has better graphics and orchestrated OST in the west but the 3DS version has additional content like 2 new party members and an alternate epilogue.

Dragon Quest VIII is considered the Western fan favorite entry and is a great starting point for the series. The biggest reason for that is how the in-game graphics finally matched Akira Toriyama's vibrant art style in totality, using cel-shading techniques not unlike The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Though some enemy sprites did match Toriyama's art in previous games such as Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of a Forgotten Past, this time everything did. The result is nothing short of breathtaking. The game's popularity outside of Japan is what got Sakurai to ask that Eight be included as a skin for The Hero.

The original Eight thread can be found here and was created by Blue_Sword_Edge Blue_Sword_Edge .

Solo

The male protagonist of Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, or rather the protagonist of the 5th chapter of the game. The game is divided into 5 chapters from which the first four detail the adventures of your companions before meeting you, the legendary hero.

Your story starts in chapter 5 when your town is razed by monsters, now you must embark in an adventure, recruit your allies met in previous chapters and stop the monsters from destroying the humans.

You can find DQIV on NES, PS2, DS and smartphone. The versions post NES tend to add more content to the game like an additional chapter which is a post-game dungeon with a new ally, and the party chat feature which allowed to talk with party members (which is only cut on the international DS version). The Android / iOS version is relatively competent if you're okay with touch controls, and is the only way to enjoy the party chat feature in English.

Dragon Quest IV is unique in the series. Aside from the already standout five chapter structure, this entry introduced distinct party members with their own extended story sequences to the Dragon Quest series for the first time (technically Dragon Quest II was first, but the Prince of Midenhall and Princess of Moonbrooke are barely characterized). As a result, the various party members are widely beloved by fans. Standouts include the tomboy martial artist Alena, traveling merchant Torneko, and avenging twin sisters Meena and Maya.

The male player character is playable but not the female player character. Like Dragon Quest III, the game allowed a choice of gender for the player character, however this time they each had a distinct design and 8-bit sprite from the very beginning. They even had a unique canon name for each! The male player character's name, as seen at the top of this entry, is Solo, while the female player character is named Sofia. For those curious, this is her design.

It's very distinct, as you can see. Fans of the series in Japan are very fond of it due to its unique design, not just from Solo but in general. You don't really see RPG heroes or heroines with such a striking look. My favorite part of it is her wild, curly hair.

(Sadly, Solo is the only one without a support thread made before the confirmation of The Hero)

Hopefully we get echoes of the female protagonists on the future, as Sofia and Femdrick have pretty cool designs. Either that, or somehow additional color slots get added as DLC to make room for them, such as how Wario in Brawl and Little Mac in Smash 4 had more color slots than other characters on the roster.

---

If you're interested in trying the games, I wrote a pretty good recommendation list that I will include within this post at a certain point. I wrote one a long time ago but it's slightly outdated and will include it here when I'm done tinkering with it. For now, though, here's a quick categorization of them in terms of "Should you start with this entry or that entry":

RECOMMENDED FOR FANS NEW TO DRAGON QUEST
  • Dragon Quest IV
    • This game is split into multiple chapters, each of which gives a distinct character (or group of characters) time in the spotlight. The last chapter centers on the protagonist themselves, and is longer than all previous chapters combined because it revolves around them meeting them all to form a party. Many beloved Dragon Quest characters are in this game, like Alena, the martial artist princess, and Torneko, whose thing is "if you played as an RPG shopkeeper, what would that be like?". If you can stomach touch screen controls, the iOS and Android versions include a great feature called Party Chat, where, depending on the context (which can be entering a new screen, being finished talking with any NPC in the game, walking around on the overworld, etc.), each and every single party member besides the hero will have something completely unique to say. It's extremely thorough, and incredibly impressive in how much life it breathes into everyone. Otherwise, the Nintendo DS version is the recommended way to go.
  • Dragon Quest V
    • This is my personal favorite Dragon Quest game. It has my favorite story, which is about a child who travels the world with his father, and through different story events, grows up after a timeskip. The game really makes you feel like a child, then an adult, so it's a great coming-of-age story, all done with a silent protagonist which is really impressive. There's a unique mechanic where, at one point in the game, you gain the ability to recruit monsters into your party. This happens at random after some fights, and it's really fun to be able to recruit iconic Dragon Quest monsters like Slimes, Chimaeras, etc. and at one point you recruit a monster you befriended as a child. There's also a choice you get to make quite a ways into the game, where you can choose one of two (three in the remakes) women to marry, which at the time was a really involved choice compared to other games that came out in 1992. It's also not a difficult game, so it's very easy to recommend for new players. Unlike Dragon Quest IV, this game's Nintendo DS remake keeps the Party Chat feature, so you don't have to play the mobile versions of this game for that if you don't want to.
  • Dragon Quest VIII
    • This was the most popular Dragon Quest game in the west for a very long time until Dragon Quest XI. It's the first DQ game to feature fully 3D polygonal models of characters, and they do an incredible job of making Akira Toriyama's wonderful character designs come to life. The game concerns a lengthy, yet relatively simple plot. A boy travels with a cursed king, a transformed princess, and many party members met along the way to track down a serial killer magician who laid waste to the boy's kingdom, and is making other people miserable too. Wacky hijinks ensue as you go from location to location hoping to stop this man from doing further harm. This game has a simple, linear skill tree system, where focusing on a character's proficiency with a type of weapon will give them many bonuses and skills. This is the first fully 3D Dragon Quest game, meaning instead of an overhead view, there's a fully third-person camera with which to view the utterly beautiful landscapes. The Nintendo 3DS version has no random encounters and extra content, but it uses a MIDI soundtrack, and makes the colors a bit brighter. The original PS2 version has a fully orchestrated soundtrack which sounds beautiful, but it has random encounters and no portability or the extra content from the 3DS version.
  • Dragon Quest XI
    • Of all the Dragon Quest games, DQ11 is the one I would recommend the most. It's definitely the most modern, with even more beautiful graphics than DQ8, an even more involved skill tree than DQ8, and a myriad of settings you can turn on and off to make the game easier or harder. Dragon Quest XI feels like a big celebration of the entire Dragon Quest series, but newcomers can very easily enjoy this game without having to understand the many call-backs. This Dragon Quest game is really packed, with tons of side content and achievements to keep anyone busy, so you're definitely getting bang for your buck. The version for Nintendo Switch (given the notoriously long name of "Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition") is the best version, having even more features, like the ability to turn on the orchestrated soundtrack for the game, an extended sidequest referencing every single mainline Dragon Quest game before XI, and the ability to play the literal entirety of the game with cute 16-bit Super Nintendo-style graphics. However, this version is also out on other systems like the PS4, Xbox One, and Steam.
DEBATABLE IF YOU SHOULD START WITH THESE AS YOUR FIRST
  • Dragon Quest I
    • Still holds up as an interesting and neat game, but it's so no-frills and basic that you have to engage with the game on its own merits, which you may or may not be willing to do. Although satisfying to finish, it's best played as a historical curiosity, as there is very little strategy to the game aside from leveling up and managing your limited inventory.
  • Dragon Quest III
    • Great game, but it becomes even better if you play I and II first, so you'll have to make a choice on either jumping straight into Erdrick's game or doing a 3-game commitment which not everyone will want to do
  • Dragon Quest VI and Dragon Quest VII
    • These two games are very fun, but they focus more on character building and mastery over story. There is a lot more to micro manage and it might be overwhelming to new players as a result. Also, Dragon Quest VII in particularly is infamously long. My playthrough of the more streamlined Nintendo 3DS version clocked in at around 120 hours, though that was admittedly in part due to me personally wanting to max out the potential of all or most of the classes in the game. You can probably beat Dragon Quest VII faster than I did if you strategize properly at, say, 80 or 90 hours, which is still a lot, but hey.
  • Dragon Quest IX
    • Like the other games on this list, Dragon Quest IX is a great game. Like VI and VII, it focuses on class building, but there's a different catch: the game was made with multiplayer in mind. Nintendo WiFi Connection, an internet service made for Nintendo DS and Wii games, shut down a few years ago. As a result, unless you know someone in close proximity to you IRL, there is no practical way to access the swathes of multiplayer-exclusive content made for the game anymore. Not that the game can't be played by yourself, but there is a lot you would be missing. Here's hoping for some kind of remake for Dragon Quest IX, it sounds like a great game that would do well today if they gave it a second life compatible with current internet services.
IT'S NOT RECOMMENDED YOU START WITH THESE (not that they're bad, just not good first impressions)
  • Dragon Quest II
    • One of the hardest entries in the series, this game has more of an air of danger than most other Dragon Quest games. The enemies are, on average, sturdier and harder-hitting, the adventure is longer than the (admittedly brisk) first game, and the dungeons are some of the most deadly. In particular, the Road the Rhone, the penultimate dungeon, is widely considered one of the hardest dungeons in the whole series. I liked the game, and the music was some of my favorite in all of Dragon Quest, but if you absolutely insist on trying this game first, be prepared for one hell of a fight.
  • Dragon Quest X
    • While Dragon Quest IX was a game with a strong multiplayer focus, Dragon Quest X is a straight-up MMO. This is already contentious, as many players (like me) avoid MMORPGs as it isn't the type of game for them (not everyone wants to play a game with a subscription model, etc.), but more importantly the game is impossible to play outside of Japan due to VPN shenanigans. As a result, it's less "I recommend against starting with this game" and more "lmao you can't EVEN start with this game". That said, Dragon Quest X Offline is coming out later, which will feature the in-game story from the MMORPG version.
Additional games that might be cool to try if you're not much into turn-based JRPGs are Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Link to a video of the first one) which is an Action RPG similar to Dynasty Warriors/Hyrule Warriors, Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 (Link to Dragon Quest Builders 2 video) which is inspired by Minecraft.

Any additional info, threads or links that you might want me to add to this post, just let me know.

Edit: After not being on Smashboards for a very long time, I've updated the little recommendation section to finally include details on why those four games are the best places to start.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Original opening post: (spoiler-tagged for size)

Congratulations DQ fans,

The hero(es) draw near. Command?

Under recommendation by Megadoomer Megadoomer I'll create a new social to celebrate the arrival of the Luminary, Erdrick, Solo and Eight into the Smash Bros. So feel free to discuss your favorite heroes, games, etc.

This section is still under construction, I'll give a short introduction to the heroes so there's light spoilers regarding the first hours of the games and I'll just mark heavy spoilers on tags.

Important note regarding the characters

Unlike a lot of other popular JRPGs nowadays, the heroes in Dragon Quest are silent and while a lot of them have certain traits and personalities you have to fill a lot of details by yourself which to the benefit of the series immerse the player into the world of Dragon Quest.

Eleven aka the Luminary

The main protagonist of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age. A young man from the village of Cobblestone who on his 16th birthday finds that he bears the eponymous mark of the Luminary which means that he is destined to save the world of Erdrea from a great evil. Just shortly of starting his journey he is accused by the King Carnelian of being the darkspawn, an evil that is foretold will bring the destruction of the world, and imprisoned. In prison he meets Erik, his first companion who helps him escape. Now persecuted, he must gather allies, evade the forces of King Carnelian and save Erdrea from the great evil.

DQXI can be found currently on PS4 and PC, with an additional version on 3DS which is not localized. The upcoming Switch version contains various QoL improvements like speed up battles, orchestrated OST, content found in the 3DS version and also the ability to switch between HD mode and 16-bit mode.

This is the original Luminary thread and the original creator was AustarusIV AustarusIV .

Arusu aka Erdrick

The hero of legend Erdrick who debuted on Dragon Quest III: The seeds of Salvation, here in his male version. He is the son of the legendary warrior Ortega, who on his 16th birthday (we can see a pattern here) is given the challenge by the King of Aliahan to defeat Baramos, whom Ortega attempted to fight but apparently perished.

Across his adventure he ends up traveling to the world of the original DQ games, Alefgard where he obtains the title of Erdrick and becomes the legend referenced in both games.

DQIII can be found in multiple systems. The most prominent are the NES version which was localized, the SNES remake which while not localized has been fan translated and is considered one of the best if not the best version of DQIII, the Game Boy Color version which localizes his name as Loto (his name in Japan) and is a pretty good port, and the IOS version which is the most readily available and relatively competent.

Here is the original Erdrick thread originally created by GM_3826 GM_3826 and currently owned by Teeb147 Teeb147

Eight

Eight is the main protagonist of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King. This young guard of the Kingdom of Trodain embarks on an adventure along King Trode and Princess Medea in pursuit of the fiendish Dhoulmagus, to lift a terrible curse that left the King Trode transformed into a troll, the princess Medea transformed into a horse, and the rest of the Kingdom transformed into plants. Across his journey he will find memorable allies such as the thief Yangus, Jessica the mage and the templar Angelo who will help stop Dhoulmagus to break the curse and return King Trode, the Princess and the Kingdom back to normal. Also, among his inseparable companions you can find Munchie, a mouse, whom you can see accompanied Eight into smash.

You can find DQVIII on the PS2 which is the original version, Mobile and 3DS. PS2 version has better graphics and orchestrated OST in the west but the 3DS version has additional content like 2 new party members and an alternate epilogue.

The original Eight thread can be found here and was created by Blue_Sword_Edge Blue_Sword_Edge .

Solo

The male protagonist of Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, or rather the protagonist of the 5th chapter of the game. The game is divided into 5 chapters from which the first four detail the adventures of your companions before meeting you, the legendary hero.

Your story starts in chapter 5 when your town is razed by monsters, now you must embark in an adventure, recruit your allies met in previous chapters and stop the monsters from destroying the humans.

You can find DQIV on NES, PS2, DS and Mobile. The versions post NES tend to add more content to the game like an additional chapter which is a post-game dungeon with a new ally, and the party chat feature which allowed to talk with party members (which is only cut on the DS version). IOS version is relatively competent

(Sadly he is the only one without a support thread to my knowledge)

Hopefully we get echoes of the female protagonists on the future, as Sofia and Femdrick have pretty cool designs.

If you're interested in trying the games, TheYungLink TheYungLink wrote a pretty good recommendation list which can be found here in the bottom of the first post of the Erdrick thread.

Additional games that might be cool to try if you're not much into turn-based JRPGs are Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (Link to a video of the first one) which is an Action RPG similar to Dynasty Warriors/Hyrule Warriors, Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 (Link to Dragon Quest Builders 2 video) which is inspired by Minecraft.

Any additional info, threads or links that you might want me to add to this post, just let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
While i only ever played DQ3/8, i'm super glad for some friends and folks who love the Dragon Quest series, I think Sakurai will do an amazing job making the series more known in the West.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I stickied this thread, and I added links to the original discussion threads that started all of this.

Guess I really need to play Dragon Quest 8 now, huh? I just wish I could find an easy way to trim down my RPG backlog.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
How come Sakurai did like, everything so right?
No down b counter, but a spell menu.
Multiple heroes.
Orchestra music already confirmed by the trailer.
We even got the Ironize spell!

Someone wake me up.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
How come Sakurai did like, everything so right?
No down b counter, but a spell menu.
Multiple heroes.
Orchestra music already confirmed by the trailer.
We even got the Ironize spell!

Someone wake me up.
Yeah! The way the character is is just amazing! Can’t wait for Hero to come out soon!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
WAAAAA!!! Our own social thread!!! I haven't felt this good since.. dang, I think Little Mac!

I was so surprised to see Kamikaze in there! And Ironize! Some of our fellow supporters are truly visionaries, man.

And the MP bar gimmick IS truly the best! So many spells! So many techs!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can I just say that my mock up was spot on for the male heroes?
dqroster.jpg

I feel like something's off for the rest, it just doesn't make sense to not add at least one female alt when it's just in reach, and which would please so many people.
I can't help but feel that this was either a really big miss, or by holy chance they decided to make an echo instead too (as much as there's no precedent for that as dlc.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don’t know... seeing so many people who I enjoy being with down with the whole deal regarding the female alts and how the rest of the internet is just shoving in my face the “superiority” of Banjo...

I’m not enjoying the hype as much as I wish...

Maybe I’ll relax from the internet.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
How many of us expected multiple Dragon Quest heroes in one fighter? I certainly didn't.
I kinda anticipated it but I was expecting female versions of the hero in too. Kinda shocked it didn’t happen.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don’t know... seeing so many people who I enjoy being with down with the whole deal regarding the female alts and how the rest of the internet is just shoving in my face the “superiority” of Banjo...

Just focus on the ones celebrating and glad about it if you can.

I'm torn, but i want everyone to enjoy the heroes in any case.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
He and Banjo don’t appear in the character banner art and that makes me sad :-(

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just had a thought: with all those spells at the Heroes' disposal, does that potentially mean that they have the most special moves in the entire game? Like, even more so than the Mii Fighters?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just had a thought: with all those spells at the Heroes' disposal, does that potentially mean that they have the most special moves in the entire game? Like, even more so than the Mii Fighters?
Some of the spells werent in the magic menu, so it's possible, but i think it's just that they're all part of the moveset. Which makes for an amazing character.

The spells use MP tho, accrording to japanese tweet. So it wont all be free to use.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Some of the spells werent in the magic menu, so it's possible, but i think it's just that they're all part of the moveset. Which makes for an amazing character.

The spells use MP tho, accrording to japanese tweet. So it wont all be free to use.

About 12 special moves were shown, it is my belief that The Hero has 4 special moves for each one of his specials totaling 16 special moves. So yes, he would have the most special moves in the game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
About 12 special moves were shown, it is my belief that The Hero has 4 special moves for each one of his specials totaling 16 special moves. So yes, he would have the most special moves in the game.
Are you suggesting each hero has a different set of spells?
Like... Eight has 4, Solo has other 4, etc

Not sure how I’d feel about this.

On one hand, having them all in one character would make him an absolute beast.

On the other hand, you’d have to choose the character depending on the matchup.
Makes things interesting. But I dunno..

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Are you suggesting each hero has a different set of spells?
Like... Eight has 4, Solo has other 4, etc

Not sure how I’d feel about this.

On one hand, having them all in one character would make him an absolute beast.

On the other hand, you’d have to choose the character depending on the matchup.
Makes things interesting. But I dunno..
No, I think that every Special move has a menu with 4 selectable moves

Kind of like this:

Up-B:

Swoosh
Zoom
???
???

Neutral B:

Sizzle
Psyche Up
Oomph
Snooze

Side-B:

Frizz
Zap
Kacrackle Slash
???

Down-B:

Bounce
Kaclang
Kamikazee
???

Some people suggested some of those moves could be normals, but he actually had quite a bit of normals shown in the trailer.

We already know:

Jab
Dash Attack
F-Tilt
D-Tilt
U-Tilt
U-Smash
F-Smash
N-Air
B-Air
U-Air (pic in smash bros site)

We're only missing:

D-Smash
D-Air
F-Air
Grab
Pummel
All Throws

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Aaah I'm so happy for the DQ reps and fans.
But all the hate they're getting feels so unnecessary..
Who is getting hate?

I am not a fan of DQ yet since I haven't played one, but I will play my first one soon. The Hero's Smash design is something I've wanted for a while in Smash as an RPG fan, and now that he is the one that has these mechanics I am very inclined to main him, and thus I should play his (their) games to see how well I like them.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman

Watch the NY reaction video, a whole crowd cheering on DQ! Also, check out places like Dragons Den or even some Japanese fanart. This is a nice hype moment, don't let the people who dislike DQ poison it for you.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Taking a look at the trailer, I’m trying to decipher how close to done our Heroes are. I’m saying this because the release window is Summer, the first day of which is over a week from now.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Taking a look at the trailer, I’m trying to decipher how close to done our Heroes are. I’m saying this because the release window is Summer, the first day of which is over a week from now.
They showed about 80% of his moveset (inclusing most specials). His moveset mostly borrows from other characters so he was probably quite easy to make since they didn't make new animations. I would say that at this stage of the game most of the bulk work is actually balancing (specially with so many characters), which is something we can't really tell from a trailer. But by the fact that his aerials all seem to have 20+ frames of landing lag, I would say he isn't done yet (or maybe he is and his design is meant to not be able to combo aerials at all).

Folt

Smash Ace
4 and 11 have my favorite designs in the series so being able to play as both is my dream come true.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I played 3, 5, 6, and 9 and felt like I should get through 4, 8, and 11 (and 7) one of these days. This seems like a good excuse.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I haven't heard much about Dragon Quest 4. I get that Dragon Quest 3 is the most influential game in the series, Dragon Quest 8 was where the series took off outside of Japan, and Dragon Quest 11 is the most recent one, (correct me if I'm wrong on any of those) but what makes Dragon Quest 4 so important that it takes priority over the others?

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I haven't heard much about Dragon Quest 4. I get that Dragon Quest 3 is the most influential game in the series, Dragon Quest 8 was where the series took off outside of Japan, and Dragon Quest 11 is the most recent one, (correct me if I'm wrong on any of those) but what makes Dragon Quest 4 so important that it takes priority over the others?
DQ4 was a big jump from 3, like all Famicom DQ were from each other.

Basically, this is the first one with more complex characters and stories. The hero is no longer someone who just trained to this task for years, but there is a whole lot of intrigue involving him and his parents. The villains no longer wait patiently as you beat them, but attack the Hero village and for once some of their motivation is shown. And there is, of course, party members, in DQ3 the party members are customizable but have no history of their own because of that, in DQ4 you have something like Octopath, you play as groups of party members, each with their own objectives, from a tomboy princess bored with the castle life, to a merchant just wanting the best for his wife and child, to sisters chasing their father's murderer, and on the last chapter of the game all these people start to work together.

Its an amazing game for something on a small NES cartridge, and its quite ambitious too. I think DQ3 is the better game, being more elegant and polish as well as being harder, but DQ4 has some of the best storytelling you can find in a NES game. All the characters from it are quite popular and main-stays of DQ spinoffs, one of them even having one of his own.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Out of all of them.... I see myself playing as Eight/ The Guv. DQ8 was my introduction to the series and is still my personal favorite... probably out of nostalgia but still.

D

Deleted member

Out of all of them.... I see myself playing as Eight/ The Guv. DQ8 was my introduction to the series and is still my personal favorite... probably out of nostalgia but still.
Same.

DQ8 is a huge part of my childhood.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
DQ3= Released in the 80s (Erdrick Trilogy)
DQ4= Released in the 90s (Zenith Trilogy)
DQ8= Released in the 2000s
DQ11= Released in the... 2010s?

They really made sure to cover all eras, its such a good distribution of heroes. We lucked out, when I look at how simple Cloud's inclusion was.
To put it into simple words, Cloud felt like "Hell yeah Cloud", the heroes are "HELL YEAH DRAGON QUEST".

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I’m totally gonna play as Solo in his alt colors just so I can say to everyone that I main Goku in Smash Bros. And the best part is, that’s the closest thing to Goku we’ll ever get!

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I like the DQ 8, 4, and 3 protagonists' (in that order) appearances more than 11. I didn't expect all four of them (and references to other characters with their palette swaps), so that's cool. Apparently, there were a lot of references in the trailer.

Welp, time to buy a few DQ games. I was going to anyway because I love JPRGs and because Cosmic Star Heroine (a great game I've been playing recently) said DQ was one of its inspirations.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DQ11 Hero's alt looks like it is based on DQ10 Hero.

DQ3 Hero's alt looks like it is based on DQ5 Hero.

DQ4 Hero's alt looks like it is based on DQ1 Hero.

DQ8 Hero's alt looks like it is based on DQ2 Hero.

Top Bottom